[Q] Google Cardboard magnet (Xperia Z1 Compact)

Search This thread

yerffej

May 22, 2013
[Stock rom, 4.4.4]
I got myself a little google cardboard kit, and everything is working fine except for the magnet switch. Is there a setting I need to turn on? I've looked through the settings app for compass settings or anything related to the magnetometer and I couldn't find anything. Anything I can try? Does the Z1 Compact have a magnetometer?

bigdfmartin

Apr 7, 2011
Greenville, SC
Google Pixel 5a
I found that the magnetic button will work if you turn the phone upside down (power and volume buttons down). This will render the startup menu and some of the apps upside down. I wrote to Unofficial Cardboard about this, and they are sending me a stronger magnet to try (in its original position on the left). Alternatively, you can reconstruct the box with the magnet on the right side, so you can mount the phone properly, right side up.

dave

seriousdav

Dec 8, 2006
I found that the magnetic button will work if you turn the phone upside down (power and volume buttons down). This will render the startup menu and some of the apps upside down. I wrote to Unofficial Cardboard about this, and they are sending me a stronger magnet to try (in its original position on the left). Alternatively, you can reconstruct the box with the magnet on the right side, so you can mount the phone properly, right side up.

dave

Hi
when you say unofficial, which one did you buy ? I bought one on dx.com (10$) and unfortunately, I have the same issue with my Z1 compact, the magnet is without any effect. I try the reverse side but it's the same. Let us know if stronger magnet works any better.