High CPU usage and lots of GPS activity since installing kitkat upgrade

Search This thread

levman

Jul 30, 2008
I installed the Sprint OTA kitkat upgrade last night. This morning, I started noticing that my battery was draining much more quickly than normal - 12 or more percent per hour with no usage, wifi on while in easy range of my home wifi (normally I see less than half this drain unless I am actually using to phone or off wifi). I've also noticed that the "receiving location data from GPS" notification icon keeps flickering on and off rapidly, sometimes almost constantly. I don't know if the two are related.

"Power Saver" is on, and battery usage shows 87% for "Android System".

Anyone else seeing this?

I've just tried turning Location Services off to see if that has any effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

levman

Jul 30, 2008
Update: it's definitely Location Services. After turning it off, my "idling" battery utilization dropped to about 3% per hour. What gives?

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
Update: it's definitely Location Services. After turning it off, my "idling" battery utilization dropped to about 3% per hour. What gives?

Yes this is a know issue when using gps/wifi for location. Try using only mobile network for location unless you need gps for maps.

levman

Jul 30, 2008
Yes this is a know issue when using gps/wifi for location. Try using only mobile network for location unless you need gps for maps.

Known problem for the HTC ONE in general, or known problem for the HTC ONE with kitkat? I've had the ONE for 9 months, use the GPS extensively (so Location Services is always on and enabled for GPS) yet I never had this problem until upgrading to kitkat.

levman

Jul 30, 2008
The answer, at least in my case, was a hard reset. I did that, reinstalled my apps, and the GPS / battery issue has gone away. I was also having other intermittent weird issues that have gone away since reinstalling. I guess the upgrade must have corrupted some things...

Prophet16

Feb 23, 2012
Fremont, CA
Install/run AppOps and disable location permissions for Google Play Services and any other app that you think doesn't need location permission.