Coming from Samsung I'm confused

Search This thread

Shebee

Mar 9, 2008
I'm waiting to get my m8 in just a moment but I'm a little confused.
On Samsung you got the recovery, kernel and rom, that's about it. But what are the RUU files everybody is talking about? Also I'm a little unsure how to root and what s off enables me to do in practice.

Does the HTC follow the same concept?
I haven't found any popular topics on how to root the device yet.

Any help?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

exocetdj

I'm waiting to get my m8 in just a moment but I'm a little confused.
On Samsung you got the recovery, kernel and rom, that's about it. But what are the RUU files everybody is talking about? Also I'm a little unsure how to root and what s off enables me to do in practice.

Does the HTC follow the same concept?
I haven't found any popular topics on how to root the device yet.

Any help?

M8 Bible

Pretty much the same, unlock bootloader at HTC Dev, install custom recovery then install rom. You can use firewater for s off, although this doesnt work for all m8s

Shebee

Mar 9, 2008
M8 Bible

Pretty much the same, unlock bootloader at HTC Dev, install custom recovery then install rom. You can use firewater for s off, although this doesnt work for all m8s

Does unlocking the bootloader void warranty?
I read that s off most likely won't void it.

exocetdj

Does unlocking the bootloader void warranty?
I read that s off most likely won't void it.

you request a unlock token whih HTC will have a record of your request but there is no proof u would have used it to void warranty. most peeps will need to use this for s off anyway unless the temp root method works but i have heard from lots of people that is is not really an issue so u can return to stock 100% and warranty shouldn't be affected

Shebee

Mar 9, 2008
you request a unlock token whih HTC will have a record of your request but there is no proof u would have used it to void warranty. most peeps will need to use this for s off anyway unless the temp root method works but i have heard from lots of people that is is not really an issue so u can return to stock 100% and warranty shouldn't be affected

Thanks, really helpful.
I don't quite understand RUU files though, are they just update packages, much like flashing a rom, what it the difference?

exocetdj

Thanks, really helpful.
I don't quite understand RUU files though, are they just update packages, much like flashing a rom, what it the difference?

RUUs are usually used to return to stock or update stock phones via PC. they flash ROM, kernel, firmware and stock recovery usually. they are rare as rocking horse sh#t now though but there us a thread with stock backups. :D

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Thanks, really helpful.

The RUU (ROM Upgrade Utility) is the same as the Samsung firmware files (available on SamMobile) used to go back to 100% stock

Reactions: sbiricuda

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks, really helpful.

The RUU (ROM Upgrade Utility) is the same as the Samsung firmware files (available on SamMobile) used to go back to 100% stock