Updating Android with root/ss

Search This thread

marbertshere

Feb 21, 2014
San Jose
Google Pixel 4 XL
Hi all, I got a couple questions. I'm currently still on 4.3, running a safe-strapped Rom (Galaxy s4, VZW). I'd like to upgrade to KK.

Is the latest firmware available OTA still NC5?

What method will I need to upgrade, OTA or flash stock? Since I'm rooted, is an OTA even an option? I do have SuperSU pro's survival mode (I heard that worked for a couple people). I'm guessing otherwise I'd have to Towel root.

Finally, I assume I should delete the custom ROM slot and factory wipe my stock slot before updating. Will doing a reset affect safe strap, or will it leave it alone?

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
Hi all, I got a couple questions. I'm currently still on 4.3, running a safe-strapped Rom (Galaxy s4, VZW). I'd like to upgrade to KK.

What method will I need to upgrade, OTA or flash stock? Since I'm rooted, is an OTA even an option? I do have SuperSU pro's survival mode (I heard that worked for a couple people). I'm guessing otherwise I'd have to Towel root.

Finally, I assume I should delete the custom ROM slot and factory wipe my stock slot before updating. Will doing a reset affect safe strap, or will it leave it alone?

Thanks!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501

marbertshere

Feb 21, 2014
San Jose
Google Pixel 4 XL
Thank you for the link, and everything else you've done around here, Bob. I read around a little but I couldn't figure this out: do I have to use Surge's method to upgrade or can I take an alternative route (in guessing Odin) , now that towel root exists?

I'm hesitant only bc I tried to use his downgrade /upgrade methods on a different phone and had some problems. Thanks.

Last edited:

marbertshere

Feb 21, 2014
San Jose
Google Pixel 4 XL
I went back to stock using Odin. took update, rooted with towelroot installed Safestrap 3.72 . Then installed custom KK rom. All worked without any issues

Here is a link with videos
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2337590
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Thanks for the info. I was just curious, could I do a full unroot/reset (I rooted with saferoot) instead of flashing stock with odin? I mean, same end result, right

spjetrovic

Thanks for the info. I was just curious, could I do a full unroot/reset (I rooted with saferoot) instead of flashing stock with odin? I mean, same end result, right

I would recommend Odin full wipe tar. This gets your phone 100% stock. It's safe, simple and proven to work.
Watch the videos they help a lot.

I haven't done it the other way!
Don't want to miss lead you.

marbertshere

Feb 21, 2014
San Jose
Google Pixel 4 XL
I would recommend Odin full wipe tar. This gets your phone 100% stock. It's safe, simple and proven to work.
Watch the videos they help a lot.

I haven't done it the other way!
Don't want to miss lead you.

No, thank you! Videos are incredibly helpful. I was just curious.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501
    I went back to stock using Odin. took update, rooted with towelroot installed Safestrap 3.72 . Then installed custom KK rom. All worked without any issues

Here is a link with videos
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2337590