Search This thread

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
I'd like to pitch the idea of a few collaborator-related changes to the DevDB:

1) When reserved posts are added they get added under the OP's name, where they would more logically be added under the name of the collaborator in Edit Project dialog adding them. Ideally, since they're "project" posts both collaborators would be able to edit them, but since I understand there might be limitations from the forum software on that, I think what I propose above is probably the easiest solution.

2) Removing reserved posts from within the Edit Project dialog is also sorely needed. Having this ability for both collaborators would go nicely hand-in-hand with (1).

3) If one of the project collaborators is a RD the option to open/close thread from the Edit Project dialog could be visible to both. Collaborators 1+2 are trusted co-devs, so full co-management of the thread with the RD seems reasonable. If a project owner doesn't want that then they could add them as additional collaborators, or have a checkbox to disable it perhaps?

Thank you for your time and your consideration. DevDB has made project management so much better on XDA! Great work everyone involved. :)

@bitpushr @svetius

Last edited:

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is relating to the announcement of DevDB: http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/introducing-the-xda-devdb/

Please use this thread to report bugs, request features, and offer feedback. :p :highfive:

==============================================================

The main DevDB Access url is here: http://xdaforums.com/devdb/

This is @bitpushr here, I'm hijacking @svetius's thread to put a bit more information and a quick FAQ on the DevDB for people.

The overall goal of DevDB is to give structure to the development projects on XDA. Most obviously this is for ROMs, but also kernels and other tools and projects that you wonderful people come up with. I've been getting a lot of PMs about DevDB so I thought I'd compile them into a little FAQ:

1. How Do I Add Projects to DevDB?

You can visit the main DevDB url, and if you have access to add a project or import an existing thread, you will see the following links:

• Adding a project will allow you to enter a new project from scratch and automatically create a thread for you.
    • Importing an existing thread will allow you to "enhance" the thread by adding it to the DevDB database and let you add more detailed information about your project.

2. Why should I add my project to DevDB?

For developers, it adds crucial metadata to your project that will allows us to show your project in more locations on the site. Threads that are "DevDB-ized" show up in the device page ROM listings, for example. We also add some cool features like a new large-file download system, reviews, a bug reporter/feature requester, and more.

For end-users, it allows us to present the ROMs and other projects on the site in a friendlier format. Rather than scouring forums and threads for new ROMs, we want to give them a place to see these projects and the unique features each one has.

We have some other cool ideas 'in the pipeline' so we thoroughly encourage devs to add their projects to DevDB.

3. Who can add projects?

Right now Recognized Developers and some other beta users are able to add projects to the system. If you wish to be added to the best-tester list, please pm @bitpushr.

Eventually we'll open this up to all "Senior Members" after we get all of the bugs out.
    We are looking into the devdb issue. When you save a DevDB item (newer ones only, for some reason), the page seems to timeout and you see a white page. This happens on imports of threads and newer DevDB items. The good news is that it does create the thread, the bad is that you can't tell and this leads to duplicate submissions.
    I'll take a look
    The problem is still there, files sections of DevDB projects can't be updated for months.
    Is "someone able to fix it" aware of this and reading this thread ?
    Thanks
    So I got an answer from the server admin, he said his plan is to rewrite a new uploading system because the current one for devdb is really old and his preference is to avoid a temporary fix. No ETA.

Yes we are reading this thread. I have contacted the server admin about this. I will let you know if I get an answer.
    Thanks a Ton for your response! :thumbup:

I just thought that @bitpushr & @MikeChannon could use any feedback/information that might be helpful.

Maybe he'll get one of those "Ahhh-Haaa!" moments from it... LOL! :)

I know that they're working hard behind the scenes and I'm a very patient... Patient (Get it?).

I know that this was a Cheesy Comment... :eek:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I DO NOT provide support via PM unless asked/requested by myself. PLEASE keep it in the threads where everyone can share.

Yup, the info re browsers etc was sent to "the guys" behind the scenes.

Mike