Google Nexus 5 brought from Google Play in Canada does not work in India

Search This thread

Hiren.Visawadia

Feb 9, 2014
Hi,
I have recently brought Google Nexus 5 from Google Play in Canada and it work with any carrier in Canada. Now, I am on vacation in India and wanted to use with the carrier in India and it does not work. I check with some one and they told me that I need to unlock but I have brought from Google Play and this is unlocked version and should work with any carrier. Moreover, there are others who are using the Google Nexus 5 and with the same carrier to which I am trying; so I am confused is that my mobile is locked or I am missing some settings?

Thanks & Regards,
Hiren.

OuncE718

Feb 27, 2010
DC by way of BK
Hi,
I have recently brought Google Nexus 5 from Google Play in Canada and it work with any carrier in Canada. Now, I am on vacation in India and wanted to use with the carrier in India and it does not work. I check with some one and they told me that I need to unlock but I have brought from Google Play and this is unlocked version and should work with any carrier. Moreover, there are others who are using the Google Nexus 5 and with the same carrier to which I am trying; so I am confused is that my mobile is locked or I am missing some settings?

Thanks & Regards,
Hiren.

This phone is 100% carrier unlocked as stated before in numerous threads. It doesn't matter where you buy it, it will always be carrier unlocked!

If you said that other users have reported using the Nexus 5 with the same carrier as the one you are trying to use in India then its one of 2 things that may cause it not to work. Either they are using the D821 model or the D820 (At&t, Sprint, T-Mobile) model or it can be that you forgot to setup your APN to work for the new carrier.

sent from my neXus 5

Hiren.Visawadia

Feb 9, 2014
This phone is 100% carrier unlocked as stated before in numerous threads. It doesn't matter where you buy it, it will always be carrier unlocked!

If you said that other users have reported using the Nexus 5 with the same carrier as the one you are trying to use in India then its one of 2 things that may cause it not to work. Either they are using the D821 model or the D820 (At&t, Sprint, T-Mobile) model or it can be that you forgot to setup your APN to work for the new carrier.

sent from my neXus 5

Thanks for your quick response.
They are using D821 model while I have D820. In this case, If I setup APN with the same carrier, would it work or I need to do something else?

Thanks & Regards,
Hiren.

OuncE718

Feb 27, 2010
DC by way of BK
They are using D821 model while I have D820. In this case, If I setup APN with the same carrier, would it work or I need to do something else?

Thanks & Regards,
Hiren.

OK, first you should try changing the APN setting for the carrier, if that doesn't work then find out what 3g/LTE bands the carrier support and then look up what 3g/LTE bands the D820 supports and you'll quickly have your answer. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Google-Nexus-5_id8148

sent from my neXus 5

viveksh

Feb 10, 2015

Thanks & Regards,
Hiren.

------------------------------
Hi Hiren,

Did you able to get your Nexus 5 working in India ? Please let me know, as I am planning to buy the same from Canada.

Thanks,
Vivek