Xoom WiFi (MZ604) Root!!

Search This thread

jaa93997

Aug 8, 2009
This is what happende to me

Hello, first of all, i want to say good job dev dudes!. This is my case. I followed to the letter the rooting tutorial. Superuser did appear on my zoom´s drawer. I purchased a while ago the superuser elite app from the market. So i just went ahead and install that too. What happened is, that no root-requiring app asks for superuser permissions when opened, hence they do not run. I uninstalled the superuser elite app, and now every time i open the superuser app it says there is a new version of su available, and after clicking accept, it returns an automatic update failed error screen. Since then i upgraded to HC 3.1 and flashed tiamat 1.4.4. Everything elese runs ok. Any ideas?

andrewmc42

Aug 2, 2010
Fort Worth
First off, I am a total noob at this stuff and don't know Jack, mostly, but I can follow instructions very well.

I am not sure what I have done wrong, but when I try to flash the boot.img or recovery.img from fastboot I get this error message.

FAILED <data transfer failure <Too many links>>

I tried to re-run the fastboot oem unlock command and got a failure on that also, but I presumed that it failed because I had already run it.

I am using a Windows 7 Professional 64bit machine with the all of the drivers, Java SDK and Android SDK updated. I have access to a Ubuntu 11 machine, but I did not see instructions for what to do in Linux and I am not savvy enough to figure it out. I did try to search the thread but did not find an answer. Any assistance would be appreciated.

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
First off, I am a total noob at this stuff and don't know Jack, mostly, but I can follow instructions very well.

I am not sure what I have done wrong, but when I try to flash the boot.img or recovery.img from fastboot I get this error message.

FAILED <data transfer failure <Too many links>>

I tried to re-run the fastboot oem unlock command and got a failure on that also, but I presumed that it failed because I had already run it.

I am using a Windows 7 Professional 64bit machine with the all of the drivers, Java SDK and Android SDK updated. I have access to a Ubuntu 11 machine, but I did not see instructions for what to do in Linux and I am not savvy enough to figure it out. I did try to search the thread but did not find an answer. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Have yo tried any other root method publicanimals method of loading as record dry then flashing aa rooted zip file might be perfect for you at this moment. Not saying this method does not work but you may be at a crossroads

Reactions: andrewmc42

andrewmc42

Aug 2, 2010
Fort Worth
Have yo tried any other root method publicanimals method of loading as record dry then flashing aa rooted zip file might be perfect for you at this moment. Not saying this method does not work but you may be at a crossroads

I have not tried any other methods. I am a bit hands on and prefer to have more control than the one-click methods offer. When I first rooted my Evo, I used adb for everything and had no problems. Maybe I should re-lock the bootloader and then unlock it again, I dunno. I will look for that method first.

EDIT: I checked on that method, I get a command write error when I try to flash the recovery image, using the img file.

Last edited:

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I have not tried any other methods. I am a bit hands on and prefer to have more control than the one-click methods offer. When I first rooted my Evo, I used adb for everything and had no problems. Maybe I should re-lock the bootloader and then unlock it again, I dunno. I will look for that method first.

EDIT: I checked on that method, I get a command write error when I try to flash the recovery image, using the img file.
I used this method to unlock and root prior to the upgrade to Honeycomb 3.1.
So I think this method (boot.img, etc) is for HC 3.0. If you are already at 3.1, you need to use this method:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1130996

Last edited:

andrewmc42

Aug 2, 2010
Fort Worth

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Problem is that I can't flash a recovery image or boot image. Without recovery, I can't use his method either. I will figure it out eventually, or brick it in the process...LOL
If you follow this method, you will see in step 4 you will install CWM recovery which will allow you to flash a .zip from the sd card.

See below:

1. Install Motorola USB drivers for your computers (for USB connectivity)
2. Install Java SDK and Android SDK tools (for adb and fastboot commands)
3. Unlock the device for flashing (allowing replacement of recovery and boot images)
4. Install a modified recovery image (ClockWorkMod recovery for Android)
5. Root the device (Allow r/w access to the device filesystem)
6. Flash a kernel that supports the SD card (SD card access, overclocking etc.)

andrewmc42

Aug 2, 2010
Fort Worth
If you follow this method, you will see in step 4 you will install CWM recovery which will allow you to flash a .zip from the sd card.

Yes, I would have that happen if I did not get the Failure <Command write error<Too many links>>. If I did not get that I would already have this done, I don't understand what is causing the error and it shows up if I try to flash either the recovery or boot images. It is an odd error and doesn't allow be to do anything. I also cannot reboot from the fastboot screen. None of the reboot commands work.

Edit: I relocked and then unlocked it again, now I get a <00120003> error, and a failed when I try to flash an image file from fastboot.

Last edited:

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Yes, I would have that happen if I did not get the Failure <Command write error<Too many links>>. If I did not get that I would already have this done, I don't understand what is causing the error and it shows up if I try to flash either the recovery or boot images. It is an odd error and doesn't allow be to do anything. I also cannot reboot from the fastboot screen. None of the reboot commands work.

Edit: I relocked and then unlocked it again, now I get a <00120003> error, and a failed when I try to flash an image file from fastboot.
Do you get any recovery options at all? You probably shouldn't have relocked....that's been known to brick a wifi only Xoom. But don't despair...people have brought their Xooms back from pretty dire situations, it's actually hard to destroy.
Read this thread, it may offer some solutions: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1152121

So, if you press vol+ and power, then 3 seconds after the dual core screen comes up, you hit vol- and then vol+, what happens? If you get any recovery options, that's a good thing.

You may also want to go to Freenode, #Xoom to chat with the experts. I'm sure they can help you there.

Last edited:

andrewmc42

Aug 2, 2010
Fort Worth
Do you get any recovery options at all? You probably shouldn't have relocked....that's been known to brick a wifi only Xoom. But don't despair...people have brought their Xooms back from pretty dire situations, it's actually hard to destroy.
Read this thread, it may offer some solutions: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1152121

So, if you press vol+ and power, then 3 seconds after the dual core screen comes up, you hit vol- and then vol+, what happens? If you get any recovery options, that's a good thing.

You may also want to go to Freenode, #Xoom to chat with the experts. I'm sure they can help you there.

I can get into a recovery, but, as it turns out, I think I have a bad USB cable or something. I could not transfer files normally, after I got it back from a persistent boot failure. The whole thing is a bit odd and I am not sure its actually a software thing. Gonna keep pluggin at it and see what I get.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I can get into a recovery, but, as it turns out, I think I have a bad USB cable or something. I could not transfer files normally, after I got it back from a persistent boot failure. The whole thing is a bit odd and I am not sure its actually a software thing. Gonna keep pluggin at it and see what I get.
I wish you good luck. Also, this is kind of a dead thread so you might get more help if you post on one of the livelier threads (appropriate, of course).

Reactions: andrewmc42

clickclickpc

May 7, 2008
Thanks everyone for developing this process. For those with Android 3.1, this won't work by itself though. Please read this...

I tried rooting my xoom, followed all the directions but kept getting stuck at the Motorola logo. Turns out I had Android 3.1. I'm sure there's a more efficient and headache-free way to root 3.1, but here's what I did, and it worked...

1) Follow all directions on the first page of this thread.
2) Download the recovery-solarnz-R4b-060611-1300-cwm.img (or whatever version is most current right now)
3) Follow the directions on this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1078019
4) That should do it.

A couple of notes:

You may not need to make the sdcard2 directory, when done loading the image the contents of the removable sd card show up under the directory "external"

I'm not sure what other files (.ko, .fstab etc) are not necessary, I pushed them all and my Xoom is working fine.

Thanks so much for pointing out the difference of 3.0 vs. 3.1. Here's the boot.img (for 3.1) quoted from your thread that allowed me to get past the Dual Core screen. Rename extension from .apk to .img first. Then just fastboot flash.

Attachments

• boot.apk
    2.8 MB · Views: 169

rash.m2k

Sep 10, 2009
Does this delete stuff from the internal 32GB memory? Or just the apps? Will rooting it delete my documents and stuff?

gaarak54

Nov 18, 2011
I was feeling good about this and everything was going great til I pushed the boot.img. Now it just stays on the Dual Core screen. What do I do now? It was running JB 4.1.1 when I got it from a guy on CL. This really sucks because I just unlocked it and pushed a recovery and was ready for root and now it's stuck.

wesamothman

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 5, 2012
Dallas - TX

mundia

Sep 18, 2009
I unlocked and rebooted to stock Jellybean ver 4.1.1 build JR003H

do i need to flash down to HC inorder get root? Do i need to have mSD card loaded with (which) files to root?

Last edited:

blocka

Dec 28, 2012
Motorola Edge 20 Pro
This is it guys... HUGE props to bigrushdog (his kernel made this possible!), MADindustries and modplan!

Download the Motorola WiFi Xoom Root Zip file and unzip it. (MediaFire) - Contains Tiamat 1.3.1
You need the Moto Drivers - Read this thread to START you - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=981578
You'll need fastboot - get it here http://developer.htc.com/adp.html
Make sure you have the latest SDK - adb and fastboot should be in /platform-tools - http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
Place the files in the SDK Tools folder.

If rebooting works... - This will wipe your phone by the way!!
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
adb reboot bootloader

If stuck at "Dual Core Technology"
Hold VolUp and power to restart Xoom
Hold VolDown will booting unit for fastboot mode

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot
adb shell
mkdir /data/media/sdcard2
exit
(physically put in microSD card if you are planning to use)
adb reboot
adb remount
adb push bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko
adb push cifs.ko /system/lib/modules/cifs.ko
adb push tun.ko /system/lib/modules/tun.ko
adb push scsi_wait_scan.ko /system/lib/modules/scsi_wait_scan.ko
adb push su /system/bin
adb shell ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
adb push vold.fstab /system/etc/vold.fstab
adb reboot
adb shell

WE HAZ ROOT!!

Check out this video for basic Windows walkthrough from Buddhahb - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsVpY0PDwtQ
Check out this video for basic Mac walkthrough from sleeplessninjas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC6J-hV6SM4

Update: 3/27/2011 12:04pm CST Added cifs.ko, tun.ko, and scsi_wait_scan.ko
Update: 3/27/2011 12:22pm CST Added vold.fstab file for USB mounting & MegaUpload
Update: 4/13/2011 10:07am CST Updated to Tiamat's 1.3.1 kernel for SD card support & Gallery support.
Hi,

I've followed the procedure, and after flashing the boot image and then rebooting "fastboot reboot" it looks as though the Xoom hangs at the Dual Core Boot Screen. I went over to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1812943&highlight=stuck. Installed TWRP custom recovery, followed the process to boot into the recovery and it's hang on Reading ODM fuse: 1.

Any help to clear the boot hang would be great.

notbrodie

Sep 12, 2012
Portland
Hi,

I've followed the procedure, and after flashing the boot image and then rebooting "fastboot reboot" it looks as though the Xoom hangs at the Dual Core Boot Screen. I went over to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1812943&highlight=stuck. Installed TWRP custom recovery, followed the process to boot into the recovery and it's hang on Reading ODM fuse: 1.

Any help to clear the boot hang would be great.

way resurrect a dead thread! reflash twrp from fastboot. then type

fastboot reboot

after it reboots, go into recovery mode and flash the latest superSU zip. no other steps are required. this is way out of date

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is it guys... HUGE props to bigrushdog (his kernel made this possible!), MADindustries and modplan!

Download the Motorola WiFi Xoom Root Zip file and unzip it. (MediaFire) - Contains Tiamat 1.3.1
    You need the Moto Drivers - Read this thread to START you - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=981578
    You'll need fastboot - get it here http://developer.htc.com/adp.html
    Make sure you have the latest SDK - adb and fastboot should be in /platform-tools - http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    Place the files in the SDK Tools folder.

If rebooting works... - This will wipe your phone by the way!!
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock
    adb reboot bootloader

If stuck at "Dual Core Technology"
    Hold VolUp and power to restart Xoom
    Hold VolDown will booting unit for fastboot mode

fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot reboot
    adb shell
    mkdir /data/media/sdcard2
    exit
    (physically put in microSD card if you are planning to use)
    adb reboot
    adb remount
    adb push bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko
    adb push cifs.ko /system/lib/modules/cifs.ko
    adb push tun.ko /system/lib/modules/tun.ko
    adb push scsi_wait_scan.ko /system/lib/modules/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    adb push su /system/bin
    adb shell ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
    adb push vold.fstab /system/etc/vold.fstab
    adb reboot
    adb shell

WE HAZ ROOT!!

Check out this video for basic Windows walkthrough from Buddhahb - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsVpY0PDwtQ
    Check out this video for basic Mac walkthrough from sleeplessninjas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC6J-hV6SM4

Update: 3/27/2011 12:04pm CST Added cifs.ko, tun.ko, and scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Update: 3/27/2011 12:22pm CST Added vold.fstab file for USB mounting & MegaUpload
    Update: 4/13/2011 10:07am CST Updated to Tiamat's 1.3.1 kernel for SD card support & Gallery support.
    Thank you so much for the Video...it really help to understand.

Are you yousing MAC? is there is a diffrent in commands used in the video for the mac or Window? "in the start you wrote [fastboot-mac oem unlock] is there is a simmler command for windows?

Yes the windows version is only different when it comes to the commands in the fact that fastboot-mac is just fastboot. You do need to download fastboot and a couple other things not described in my video, all of these instructions are found on the first post to this thread by the OP.

If you do find it helpful I'd be more than happy to take a 'thanks' , but whether you do or not make sure above all you 'thank' the person who made this thread :)
    I made a video for the WiFi version that follows the steps laid out by this thread as of March 28th. I captured both the Computer and Xoom screen simultaneously. There is a glare on my Computer side, I apologize for that, but none the less everything I type in is overlaid on top of the video and I dictate it as well. This is also performed on a Macbook Pro Leopard OS X. But besides the fastboot command which is fastboot-mac instead of fastboot for PC, there is no difference. I try to go over common hiccups that I have seen some users have come across as well in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC6J-hV6SM4
    Thanks Xaositek and HUGE props to MADindustries and modplan for coming up with a quick solution.

Is there a rip of the stock "boot.img" in case it doesn't work so that people who soft brick their xoom can return it back to stock? If so can that be posted in the OP's post? I know I am not the only paranoid one that would like to have the stock boot.img before attempting any rooting.

Also just for curiousity, can someone explain the differences between the wifi and wifi+3g boot.img versions and what they had to do to workaround this. Thanks.
    I wish you good luck. Also, this is kind of a dead thread so you might get more help if you post on one of the livelier threads (appropriate, of course).