[HOWTO] Unbrick your i9000 / Galaxy S

Search This thread

daenney

Oct 11, 2009
Enschede
I've gotten into the habit of running all kinds of ROMs and sometimes they just blow up. Usually a reboot suffices but the last crash caused my phone to only bootloop and I couldn't get into recovery anymore, thankfully download mode still worked. This will focus on how to get your phone back to life, provided you can access download mode.

Steps this guide will walk you through:
  1. Calm down a bit
  2. Get everything you need to fix your phone
  3. Do the magic
  4. Boot your phone
  5. Rejoice

Step 0: Backup
I can't stress this enough. Once you've really bricked your phone there's a chance you might not be able to access the data that's on there anymore. So, if there's stuff on your phone you care about, just backup it from time to time.

Step 1: Calm down
There's a myriad of exercises you can do to calm down, meditate, go for a walk/swim/jog, go to the gym, whatever works for you. Just chill out for a second because being in a completely panicked state is not going to help you to recover your phone.

Step 2: Get the tools in place
We need a few tools to fix your phone:
  1. Heimdall version 1.3.1. DO NOT download 1.3.2 it has issues with uploading large files
  2. Heimdall package of 2.3.6/XWJVZ: http://www.mediafire.com/?3v35chw9a8a2wmw
  3. CFRoot for 2.3.6/XWJVZ: http://download.chainfire.eu/130/CF-Root/SGS/CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVZ-v4.3-CWM3RFS.zip

Once you've downloaded everything:
  1. Install Heimdall (run the installer)
    • On Windows the link I provided also includes the GUI
    • For Mac and Linux the link I provided only includes the command line binary, we don't want to use the GUI for this
  2. Extract the Heimdall package of 2.3.6.tar.gz to a directory, you should end up with the following files:
    • boot.bin
    • cache.rfs
    • dbdata.rfs
    • factoryfs.rfs
    • firmware.xml << delete it, we're not going to need it
    • modem.bin
    • params.lfs
    • Sbl.bin
    • s1_odin_20100512.pit << delete it, we're not going to need it
    • zImage << delete it, we're not going to need it
  3. Extract the CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVZ-v4.3-CWM3RFS.zip, this contains only one file: zImage, put it next to Sbl.bin
  4. If the Heimdall installer asked you to reboot your machine but you didn't, do it now. That will make sure the drivers are loaded.

What we've done right now is set up your machine so that it's ready to flash your i9000 back to a Samsung release of Gingerbread. The astute reader might notice I'm telling you to delete the zImage (kernel) from the Heimdall package. This is true but we're replacing it with the one from CFRoot so you can flash a rooted stock instead of first flashing stock and then flashing CFRoot on top. Some people advice against this approach but it has never caused me issues.

Step 3: Do the magic
Now we're actually going to flash your phone. We're going to do this from the command line because the Heimdall GUI is a bit twitchy when it comes to flashing without a PIT-file. The command line has no such issue and will just download the PIT from your device and use that.

Windows:
  • Find out where Heimdall was installed (probaly %PROGRAMFILES%\Heimdall)
  • Copy all the files (zImage, Sbl.bin and so forth) into the directory where the heimdall executable is located
  • Go to the location of cmd.exe, right-click on it and select: Run as Administrator
  • Now cd to the directory Heimdall was installed
  • Issue a dir on the commandline to verify all the files (heimdall.exe and the rest) are there

Mac / Linux:
Heimdall was probably installed into /usr/bin so all you need to do is open a Terminal of your choice and see if running the heimdall command results in heimdall output or a command not found.

• Open a Terminal
  • cd to the location of zImage, Sbl.bin and the other files from Step 2

Flashing:

Use the 3-button combo to put your phone into Download mode: Volume Down + Home + Power and connect your phone over USB to your computer.

Windows, issue the following command:
Code:
heimdall.exe flash --primary-boot boot.bin --cache cache.rfs --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --modem modem.bin --param param.lfs --secondary-boot Sbl.bin --kernel zImage

Mac / Linux, issue the following command:
Code:
 sudo heimdall flash --primary-boot boot.bin --cache cache.rfs --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --modem modem.bin --param param.lfs --secondary-boot Sbl.bin --kernel zImage

If all went well you should get output similar to this:
Code:
Heimdall v1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Setting up interface...

Checking if protocol is initialised...
Protocol is not initialised.
Initialising protocol...
Handshaking with Loke...

Beginning session...
Session begun with device of type: 0

Downloading device's PIT file...
PIT file download sucessful

Uploading KERNEL
100%
KERNEL upload successful
Uploading MODEM
100%
MODEM upload successful
Uploading FACTORYFS
100%
FACTORYFS upload successful
Uploading DBDATAFS
100%
DBDATAFS upload successful
Uploading CACHE
100%
CACHE upload successful
Uploading IBL+PBL
100%
IBL+PBL upload successful
Uploading SBL
100%
SBL upload successful
Uploading PARAM
100%
PARAM upload successful
Ending session...
Rebooting device...

Your device will now reboot. If it doesn't and stays at a black screen, just pull the battery, put it back in and turn it on.

Step 4: Boot your device
Just let the phone boot but don't unlock your SIM-card / use it. Once it's is done booting for the first time just shut it down and now boot into Recovery Mode: Volume Up + Home + Power.

From here you can go into the Mounts and Storage section and then into the Mount USB menu. Now your phone will make it's storage available over USB so you can recover files you've lost or upload a zip-file to flash a new ROM.

Step 5: Rejoice
Your phone is now back into a workable state with a fully functional Recovery so you can now start flashing your fancy ROMs again.

A few pieces of advice:
  • Before you flash anything else: data/factory reset and wipe your cache
  • Before you flash anything else: flash CM 9.1.0, twice. The first time will upgrade your Recovery to 6.x but will then bootloop so you need to flash it again.
  • If you want to flash a JellyBean ROM, flash CM 9.1.0 first. If you don't and try to upgrade from Gingerbread (2.3.6) to JellyBean in one go you'll probably end up with an invalid IMEI (no idea why this happens, it just does)

Good luck!

battznz

Sep 11, 2012
Hi,

Thanks for the guide, i got 90% there and the program closed. This is what I got:

Uploading KERNEL
100%
KERNEL upload successful
Uploading MODEM
100%
MODEM upload successful
Uploading FACTORYFS
100%
Uploading DBDATAFS
100%
Uploading CACHE
100%
CACHE upload successful
Uploading IBL+PBL
100%
ERROR: Failed to confirm end of file transfer sequence!
IBL+PBL upload failed!
Ending session...
Rebooting device...

Please HELP me

What do I do from here??

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
how about when the phone can't get to download mode :/
usb jig?

try solutions in My Android Solutions

Use only ROM and solution for your model and Wipe x3

But First powerdown, pull out Battery, SIM CARD, and EXT.SD card, press power button for a minute, than powerup without SIM and Ext.SD Card....

(Do remember to backup your contacts, data, images etc and also your EFS folder before flashing a ROM and make sure you have more than 50% battery charge before you attempt any sort of flashing.)

mars777jd

Oct 25, 2012
Alice Springs
Phone stuck in bootloop, possible corrupt internal memory?

HI,
Thanks for your post, as a noob I find posts like yours great as they are easy to follow, and have all the info in one spot.

I have followed everything that you said to do, however, when my phone reboots after cmd successfully finishes, it boots into recovery, and says the following:

[QUOTE]--Installing Package...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Successfully installed package.

--Copying media files...
E:failed to mount /sdcard (File exists)
E:copy_dbdata_media:Can't mount /sdcard
your storage not prepared yet. please use UI men
u for format and reboot actions.

Media files copy failed.

--Deleting files...
E:failed to mount /data (File exists)
E:delete_data_files:Can't mount /data

--Updating filesystem...
verifying the filesystem. please wait.
already updated filesystem. finished
Succesfully updated filesystem.

--Wiping cache...
Formatting /cache...
Cache wipe failed.

--Applying Multi-CSC...
Installing Multi-CSC
Can't access to '/system/csc/CHN/system/'.
Successfully applied multi-CSC.
[/QUOTE]:confused:

If I hit "reboot system now" it comes up with the Galaxy S logo, then switches off, then repeats itself, the only way to stop it is to take the battery out. I can still access both recovery and download mode at this stage.

I bought this phone cheap off someone who had installed a custom ROM which had messed the phone. I am trying to get it working again, but I think I may only have made it worse :eek:. The phone is not recognizing any SDcard, or its own internal memory. When the phone was working, if you went into settings under memory it said "Internal: 0.00B free of 0.00B" and even though there was an SDcard in it, it said "Please insert SD card"

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines

try to flash a Ezbase Rescue or Darky resurrection Kit from My Android Collections

But First powerdown, pull out Battery, SIM CARD, and EXT.SD card, press power button for a minute, than powerup without SIM and Ext.SD Card....

Tips before Flashing:-

Backup all your important files, contacts, SMS, game data, images etc to PC or Ext SD card. or make Nanadroid Backup If you have CWM
Backup your EFS Folder to PC or Ext SD card
Enable USB Debugging on Phone. Touch menu>Settings>Applications>Development>
Charge your battery to more than 50% before you attempt any sort of flashing.
Disable Samsung KIES when using Odin. Kill Kies.exe, KiesTrayAgent.exe, & KiesPDLR.exe using Task Manager on PC

Reactions: mars777jd

mars777jd

Oct 25, 2012
Alice Springs
try to flash a Ezbase Rescue or Darky resurrection Kit from My Android Collections

Backup all your important files, contacts, SMS, game data, images etc to PC or Ext SD card. or make Nanadroid Backup If you have CWM
Disable Samsung KIES when using Odin. Kill Kies.exe, KiesTrayAgent.exe, & KiesPDLR.exe using Task Manager on PC

Hi,
I tried EzBase Rescue, with the following result:

-- Copying media files...

Media files copy failed.

-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
E: format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
Formatting /dbdata...
Formatting /cache...
Deleting Meta Data
Data wipe failed.

-- Appling Multi-CSC...
Installing Multi-CSC

I will try the resurrection kit...

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
Couldn't seem to find a link to the resurrection kit that worked properly. All other rescue packages either result with bootloop or the above error messages in recovery mode.

you can try http://depositfiles.com/files/ro6fnlr38 or http://depositfiles.com/files/zay0if5x7 for Darky and a solution from My Android Solutions for

microMXL

Mar 15, 2011
well just for the record, mine didn't work neither with usb jig, now I have a pretty nice paperweight. *sighs*

vindikleuk

Jan 20, 2012
Overijssel, Netherlands
HI,
Thanks for your post, as a noob I find posts like yours great as they are easy to follow, and have all the info in one spot.

I have followed everything that you said to do, however, when my phone reboots after cmd successfully finishes, it boots into recovery, and says the following:

[QUOTE]--Installing Package...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
Successfully installed package.

--Copying media files...

Media files copy failed.

--Deleting files...

--Updating filesystem...
verifying the filesystem. please wait.
already updated filesystem. finished
Succesfully updated filesystem.

--Wiping cache...
Formatting /cache...
Cache wipe failed.

--Applying Multi-CSC...
Installing Multi-CSC
:confused:

If I hit "reboot system now" it comes up with the Galaxy S logo, then switches off, then repeats itself, the only way to stop it is to take the battery out. I can still access both recovery and download mode at this stage.

I bought this phone cheap off someone who had installed a custom ROM which had messed the phone. I am trying to get it working again, but I think I may only have made it worse :eek:. The phone is not recognizing any SDcard, or its own internal memory. When the phone was working, if you went into settings under memory it said "Internal: 0.00B free of 0.00B" and even though there was an SDcard in it, it said "Please insert SD card"

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Same happens to me. Any idea on what's going on?

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
it said "Internal: 0.00B free of 0.00B" and even though there was an SDcard in it, it said "Please insert SD card"?

explain what is your phone model, if you had lag fix applied before and what you had done and what is the exact message you are getting when you try to boot .

Need to know what is your phone model . Check Here to chose your forum/Guide by Version of your phone or you will have more problems by using wrong solutions due to different versions of Galaxy S

you can get a rescue kit from My Android Collections and or a solution from My Android Solutions

Need a guide, look into My Guides and Manuals

But First powerdown, pull out Battery, SIM CARD, and EXT.SD card, press power button for a minute, than powerup without SIM and Ext.SD Card, after flashing and reboot , insert them back

Enable USB Debugging on Phone. Touch menu> Settings> Applications> Development>

mars777jd

Oct 25, 2012
Alice Springs
explain what is your phone model, if you had lag fix applied before and what you had done and what is the exact message you are getting when you try to boot .

Need to know what is your phone model . Check Here to chose your forum/Guide by Version of your phone or you will have more problems by using wrong solutions due to different versions of Galaxy S

you can get a rescue kit from My Android Collections and or a solution from My Android Solutions

Need a guide, look into My Guides and Manuals

But First powerdown, pull out Battery, SIM CARD, and EXT.SD card, press power button for a minute, than powerup without SIM and Ext.SD Card, after flashing and reboot , insert them back

Enable USB Debugging on Phone. Touch menu> Settings> Applications> Development>

Well what happened is this:
I saw this phone going cheap on eBay by someone who said that they "had tried flashing a custom ROM, and now the camera won't work due to a memory error." I had successfully flashed CM7 to a Nexus One, so I wanted to see if I could fix it.
I don't know what ROM he tried to install, but at that point the phone still booted. I could use the phone and all functions that didn't need free memory (ie camera). I went into settings, and, like I mentioned, although there was a micro-SD card the phone reported "0.00B free of 0.00B Internal" and "Please insert an SD card" for external. I thought it may have been a problem with the SD card, so I formatted it on the computer. Same result.
I then proceeded to flash a known trusted stable ROM to the phone. I opted for CM9 with CWM for I9000. This is where I first ran into problems. I was using fastboot at the time, and always, after flashing anything I would get these results (see pics.) So I downloaded Odin, and after trying several different things from various wiki's and guides on xda and other sites, I believe I have successfully wiped any existing OS, and any custom recoveries.

The phone's model is GT-I9000. The SSN is I9000GSMH. I also have the IMEI and S/N. From my understanding, it was originally locked to Vodafone, and was unlocked by the previous owner.

So far I have tried flashing:
CM9
DarkyRom_10.2 Resurrection
ezbase gb
SGS_Rescue_kit-13-1-2012
plus a few different individual pda, csc, bootloader files.

I am again going to try DarkyRom_10.2 Resurrection, once I can get Odin to recognize my phone.

Is there any thing else I can try? Or should I try to sell my phone for parts?
I really appreciate everyone's help
Thank you so much

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've gotten into the habit of running all kinds of ROMs and sometimes they just blow up. Usually a reboot suffices but the last crash caused my phone to only bootloop and I couldn't get into recovery anymore, thankfully download mode still worked. This will focus on how to get your phone back to life, provided you can access download mode.

Steps this guide will walk you through:
    1. Calm down a bit
    2. Get everything you need to fix your phone
    3. Do the magic
    4. Boot your phone
    5. Rejoice

Step 0: Backup
    I can't stress this enough. Once you've really bricked your phone there's a chance you might not be able to access the data that's on there anymore. So, if there's stuff on your phone you care about, just backup it from time to time.

Step 1: Calm down
    There's a myriad of exercises you can do to calm down, meditate, go for a walk/swim/jog, go to the gym, whatever works for you. Just chill out for a second because being in a completely panicked state is not going to help you to recover your phone.

Step 2: Get the tools in place
    We need a few tools to fix your phone:
    1. Heimdall version 1.3.1. DO NOT download 1.3.2 it has issues with uploading large files
    2. Heimdall package of 2.3.6/XWJVZ: http://www.mediafire.com/?3v35chw9a8a2wmw
    3. CFRoot for 2.3.6/XWJVZ: http://download.chainfire.eu/130/CF-Root/SGS/CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVZ-v4.3-CWM3RFS.zip

Once you've downloaded everything:
    1. Install Heimdall (run the installer)
      • On Windows the link I provided also includes the GUI
      • For Mac and Linux the link I provided only includes the command line binary, we don't want to use the GUI for this
    2. Extract the Heimdall package of 2.3.6.tar.gz to a directory, you should end up with the following files:
      • boot.bin
      • cache.rfs
      • dbdata.rfs
      • factoryfs.rfs
      • firmware.xml << delete it, we're not going to need it
      • modem.bin
      • params.lfs
      • Sbl.bin
      • s1_odin_20100512.pit << delete it, we're not going to need it
      • zImage << delete it, we're not going to need it
    3. Extract the CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVZ-v4.3-CWM3RFS.zip, this contains only one file: zImage, put it next to Sbl.bin
    4. If the Heimdall installer asked you to reboot your machine but you didn't, do it now. That will make sure the drivers are loaded.

What we've done right now is set up your machine so that it's ready to flash your i9000 back to a Samsung release of Gingerbread. The astute reader might notice I'm telling you to delete the zImage (kernel) from the Heimdall package. This is true but we're replacing it with the one from CFRoot so you can flash a rooted stock instead of first flashing stock and then flashing CFRoot on top. Some people advice against this approach but it has never caused me issues.

Step 3: Do the magic
    Now we're actually going to flash your phone. We're going to do this from the command line because the Heimdall GUI is a bit twitchy when it comes to flashing without a PIT-file. The command line has no such issue and will just download the PIT from your device and use that.

Windows:
    • Find out where Heimdall was installed (probaly %PROGRAMFILES%\Heimdall)
    • Copy all the files (zImage, Sbl.bin and so forth) into the directory where the heimdall executable is located
    • Go to the location of cmd.exe, right-click on it and select: Run as Administrator
    • Now cd to the directory Heimdall was installed
    • Issue a dir on the commandline to verify all the files (heimdall.exe and the rest) are there

Mac / Linux:
    Heimdall was probably installed into /usr/bin so all you need to do is open a Terminal of your choice and see if running the heimdall command results in heimdall output or a command not found.

• Open a Terminal
    • cd to the location of zImage, Sbl.bin and the other files from Step 2

Flashing:

Use the 3-button combo to put your phone into Download mode: Volume Down + Home + Power and connect your phone over USB to your computer.

Windows, issue the following command:
    Code:
    heimdall.exe flash --primary-boot boot.bin --cache cache.rfs --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --modem modem.bin --param param.lfs --secondary-boot Sbl.bin --kernel zImage

Mac / Linux, issue the following command:
    Code:
     sudo heimdall flash --primary-boot boot.bin --cache cache.rfs --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --modem modem.bin --param param.lfs --secondary-boot Sbl.bin --kernel zImage

If all went well you should get output similar to this:
    Code:
    Heimdall v1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
    http://www.glassechidna.com.au

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
    encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
    development please consider donating:
    http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
    Detecting device...
    Claiming interface...
    Setting up interface...

Checking if protocol is initialised...
    Protocol is not initialised.
    Initialising protocol...
    Handshaking with Loke...

Beginning session...
    Session begun with device of type: 0

Downloading device's PIT file...
    PIT file download sucessful

Uploading KERNEL
    100%
    KERNEL upload successful
    Uploading MODEM
    100%
    MODEM upload successful
    Uploading FACTORYFS
    100%
    Uploading DBDATAFS
    100%
    Uploading CACHE
    100%
    CACHE upload successful
    Uploading IBL+PBL
    100%
    IBL+PBL upload successful
    Uploading SBL
    100%
    SBL upload successful
    Uploading PARAM
    100%
    PARAM upload successful
    Ending session...
    Rebooting device...

Your device will now reboot. If it doesn't and stays at a black screen, just pull the battery, put it back in and turn it on.

Step 4: Boot your device
    Just let the phone boot but don't unlock your SIM-card / use it. Once it's is done booting for the first time just shut it down and now boot into Recovery Mode: Volume Up + Home + Power.

From here you can go into the Mounts and Storage section and then into the Mount USB menu. Now your phone will make it's storage available over USB so you can recover files you've lost or upload a zip-file to flash a new ROM.

Step 5: Rejoice
    Your phone is now back into a workable state with a fully functional Recovery so you can now start flashing your fancy ROMs again.

A few pieces of advice:
    • Before you flash anything else: data/factory reset and wipe your cache
    • Before you flash anything else: flash CM 9.1.0, twice. The first time will upgrade your Recovery to 6.x but will then bootloop so you need to flash it again.
    • If you want to flash a JellyBean ROM, flash CM 9.1.0 first. If you don't and try to upgrade from Gingerbread (2.3.6) to JellyBean in one go you'll probably end up with an invalid IMEI (no idea why this happens, it just does)

Good luck!
    how about when the phone can't get to download mode :/
    usb jig?

try solutions in My Android Solutions

(Do remember to backup your contacts, data, images etc and also your EFS folder before flashing a ROM and make sure you have more than 50% battery charge before you attempt any sort of flashing.)
    The link for Heimdall version 1.3.1. (Windows) you posted has no Installer inside.

I desparetely need to unbrick my Gaaxy S. Any solutions?
    The link for Heimdall version 1.3.1. (Windows) you posted has no Installer inside.

I desparetely need to unbrick my Gaaxy S. Any solutions?

try download from My Android Collections