[Q] Xperia J swap internal/SD card

Search This thread

Takisamtija

Dec 29, 2013
Sarajevo
Yesterday I root my Sony Xperia J.. I want to swap Internal with SD card(8gb), but I don`t know how..
I want to install apps to SD card..

Sony Xperia J
Jelly Bean 4.1.2

Last edited:

CtrlAltDelIrl

Mar 7, 2012
Yesterday I root my Sony Xperia J.. I want to swap Internal with SD card(8gb), but I don`t know how..
I want to install apps to SD card..

Sony Xperia J
Jelly Bean 4.1.2

Although this is possible, and many noobs here will do it, I cannot advise doing this as the risks of hard-bricking your phone are very high.

For example:

You do the swap and then factory reset = Hard Brick

or

You do the swap and then Wipe Internal Data = Hard Brick.

Either way it's not worth it, even with a class 10 sdcard you'll notice how much slower your phone becomes.

D

Deleted member 5439257

Although this is possible, and many noobs here will do it, I cannot advise doing this as the risks of hard-bricking your phone are very high.

For example:

You do the swap and then factory reset = Hard Brick

or

You do the swap and then Wipe Internal Data = Hard Brick.

Either way it's not worth it, even with a class 10 sdcard you'll notice how much slower your phone becomes.

I couldn't agree more. A friend of mine has done it with his Ace. Hard bricked.

What I did( Ihave a 32 GB SD card, so yeah), was shrinking my Fat32 partition, and making an ext2 partiton of 2,5 gb. With the help of Link2SD you can move 99% of apps to this partition. I have 110 apps, and my internal memory has 1,2 GB left, and my phone memory 551 mb.

No performance loss, and even a little (may be placebo, I don't know) improvement.

Partitioning your SD card may decrease the the life time, but I find it very effective and handy.

Have a nice day!

eryannda

May 1, 2014
I couldn't agree more. A friend of mine has done it with his Ace. Hard bricked.

What I did( Ihave a 32 GB SD card, so yeah), was shrinking my Fat32 partition, and making an ext2 partiton of 2,5 gb. With the help of Link2SD you can move 99% of apps to this partition. I have 110 apps, and my internal memory has 1,2 GB left, and my phone memory 551 mb.

No performance loss, and even a little (may be placebo, I don't know) improvement.

Partitioning your SD card may decrease the the life time, but I find it very effective and handy.

Have a nice day!

hello there sir, I'm interested in your way of doing this, so would you explain it in a more detailed way? I don't really get it...
what do you mean by 'shrinking my Fat32 partition' ?
and what do you mean by 'making an ext2 partition of 2,5 gb' ?
you also stated that your sd card is 32 gb, is this your internal SD card or external SD card?
what's the difference between link2SD from the other apps such as app2sd? and fyi i'm using titanium backup (not pro) and it CANNOT move the apps to my micro sd card (ext sd card)

thank you~

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5439257

hello there sir, I'm interested in your way of doing this, so would you explain it in a more detailed way? I don't really get it...
you also stated that your sd card is 32 gb, is this your internal SD card or external SD card?
what's the difference between link2SD from the other apps such as app2sd? and fyi i'm using titanium backup (not pro) and it CANNOT move the apps to my micro sd card (ext sd card)

thank you~

We're talking about the external SD here.

Storage is accessed by partitions. See a partition as a little chunk of code that defines how the storage is used.

A normal micro SD without any modifications will have 1 FAT 32 partition.

What you could do is using a tool like Mini Tool Partition Wizard(Windows only), to shrink the existing FAT32 partition, so there is unallocated space left. Every size is possible, but the unallocated space has to be smaller than the FAT 32 partition. Please note that a Class 10 SD is preferred, or at least Class 6. Lower classes can't handle the app loading very well, and the apps will sooner start to lag.

Now you can create a new partition, since there is unallocated space left. You will use Ext2, Ext3 or Ext4, it doesn't really matter, but Ext2 works 99℅ of the time, so use that one. These are all part of the Linux file system, as your phone memory is. Your micro SD will act like an extra phone memory. But it will be slower, since flash will always be faster than the maximum R/W speed of a SD card.

(Root access is required)

You now have 2 partitions, one FAT 32 and one Ext.... Insert the micro SD card in the phone and download Link2SD from the Play Store. Open it and it will prompt you that it has detected a second partition. Grabt Superuser rights. Select the kind, and let it generate the needed information. Reboot and you're good to go! You can now move any user app to the external SD.

(Way more extensive tutorials are available. Just Google: how to use link2sd? I'm on my phone now, so sorry)

Oh, and the difference between apps like App2SD and Link2SD, is that with the former you can only move apps to the internal SD, and not the external, micro SD. The latter does give you this option, but root is required.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any question!

Sent from my C1605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eryannda

eryannda

May 1, 2014

Storage is accessed by partitions. See a partition as a little chunk of code that defines how the storage is used.

What you could do is using a tool like Mini Tool Partition Wizard(Windows only), to shrink the existing FAT32 partition, so there is unallocated space left. Every size is possible, but the unallocated space has to be smaller than the FAT 32 partition. Please note that a Class 10 SD is preferred, or at least Class 6. Lower classes can't handle the app loading very well, and the apps will sooner start to lag.

Now you can create a new partition, since there is unallocated space left. You will use Ext2, Ext3 or Ext4, it doesn't really matter, but Ext2 works 99℅ of the time, so use that one. These are all part of the Linux file system, as your phone memory is. Your micro SD will act like an extra phone memory. But it will be slower, since flash will always be faster than the maximum R/W speed of a SD card.

You now have 2 partitions, one FAT 32 and one Ext.... Insert the micro SD card in the phone and download Link2SD from the Play Store. Open it and it will prompt you that it has detected a second partition. Grabt Superuser rights. Select the kind, and let it generate the needed information. Reboot and you're good to go! You can now move any user app to the external SD.

(Way more extensive tutorials are available. Just Google: how to use link2sd? I'm on my phone now, so sorry)

Oh, and the difference between apps like App2SD and Link2SD, is that with the former you can only move apps to the internal SD, and not the external, micro SD. The latter does give you this option, but root is required.

You now have 2 partitions, one FAT 32 and one Ext....

you explained it very well, but sorry sir, i'm still a lil bit confused about partitioning the sd card.. what do you mean by 'Ext' ? because the only formats i know are ntfs, fat32, and exFAT..

D

Deleted member 5439257

you explained it very well, but sorry sir, i'm still a lil bit confused about partitioning the sd card.. what do you mean by 'Ext' ? because the only formats i know are ntfs, fat32, and exFAT..

With Ext I mean Ext2, Ext3 or Ext4. These are Linux file systems. Since Android is based on Linux, Android recognizes this Et2/3/4 partition as a storage where it can write data. A little help from link2SD is needed, but it works fine. If you're still interested, follow this tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2142844

It's quite easy to follow.

Reactions: eryannda

appviz

Aug 19, 2013
appsatmiro.blogspot.in
With Ext I mean Ext2, Ext3 or Ext4. These are Linux file systems. Since Android is based on Linux, Android recognizes this Et2/3/4 partition as a storage where it can write data. A little help from link2SD is needed, but it works fine. If you're still interested, follow this tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2142844

Hi,

You guys saying about hard brick possibilities. I had swapped my External with Internal. Now after seeing your posts I am thinking of reverting back to normal. Would it cause any issues ? I am not sure how much it would improve the performance though. I am quite sure the lag I have sometime is because of higher RAM usage [I have more than 120 apps installed including games such as PES (more than 150 MB) utilizing 8 GB external as Internal] . I am on Xperia Miro

May 12, 2014
about my rooted xperia j st26i

As the others above me said, it's not advised. But if you really want to swap the memories check this post:

http://xdaforums.com/xperia-u/go-development/xperia-sd-card-fix-remount-sd-internal-t1943643

hi, im not that good on the sony flashtool and i would like to know why my xperia j 11.0.A.3.28 gets rooted when i click on 'My ST26/Root/Force Emulator'. i dont need to download any rooting files it just roots with Force Emulator...

Paduretu Ionut

Sep 18, 2013
Constanta
hi, im not that good on the sony flashtool and i would like to know why my xperia j 11.0.A.3.28 gets rooted when i click on 'My ST26/Root/Force Emulator'. i dont need to download any rooting files it just roots with Force Emulator...

If you see an app like Superuser or SuperSU installed, it means your phone is rooted...Download any root explorer app and copy the vold.fstab file (in that thread ) in root/system/etc then reboot.

Last edited:

manthan29jamdagni

Sep 29, 2013
Dehradun
Hi Guys I Swapped My Xperia J's External Memory With Internal & Now i want to revert back to normal.
Will it work if i flash stock ftf? :confused:
Thanks in advance

manthan29jamdagni

Sep 29, 2013
Dehradun
First, swap them as they were than flash stock ftf. It's highly possible to hard brick your J if you don't swap them back.

Good Luck.

Xperia M2 D2303 on K.K. 4.4.4

Thanks for replying...Appreciate it ...but the problem is that someone else swapped the memories before...& I am not aware of the method by which he did that...nor I know about swapping them back..
I was hoping for some help on swapping back the memory to their original state..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 5439257

thank you~

As the others above me said, it's not advised. But if you really want to swap the memories check this post:

http://xdaforums.com/xperia-u/go-development/xperia-sd-card-fix-remount-sd-internal-t1943643
    D
    Deleted member 5439257

Hi Guys I Swapped My Xperia J's External Memory With Internal & Now i want to revert back to normal.
    Will it work if i flash stock ftf? :confused:
    Thanks in advance
    First, swap them as they were than flash stock ftf. It's highly possible to hard brick your J if you don't swap them back.

Good Luck.

Xperia M2 D2303 on K.K. 4.4.4