[MOD] A2EXT Froyo

Search This thread
Normally doesn't sit on that screen it just does the boot animation for a long time I'm thinking restoring a 2.1 ext on a 2.2 rom doesn't workout too well

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

Ohhh maaaannnnn...you think it won't take and i should just reboot into recovery and reflash everything or give it some more time

acejoker25000

Feb 25, 2009
hickory, n.c.
I recommend restoring the 2.1 rom and backing up the apps using an app backup app try mybackup or titanium then wiping and flashing the 2.2 rom and using the backup app to restore all of your apps that would probably be the easiest way.

I recommend restoring the 2.1 rom and backing up the apps using an app backup app try mybackup or titanium then wiping and flashing the 2.2 rom and using the backup app to restore all of your apps that would probably be the easiest way.

Going through this now...be a few more mins...

UPDATE: NICE!! Everything is looking good now thanks for all the help!! So now in CM6 settings for apps if I choose internal all downloads will be placed on the ext2 partition of the sdcard correct?

Last edited:

acejoker25000

Feb 25, 2009
hickory, n.c.
Going through this now...be a few more mins...

UPDATE: NICE!! Everything is looking good now thanks for all the help!! So now in CM6 settings for apps if I choose internal all downloads will be placed on the ext2 partition of the sdcard correct?

Just keep it on auto it automatically puts it on ext regardless

daewond3r

Sep 3, 2009
Los Angeles
This works great! Thanks to all involved for making this happen! I can happily keep my Slide a little longer before getting a G2.

acejoker25000

Feb 25, 2009
hickory, n.c.
Yea I've been slack lately LOL coming tomorrow I will get all of the latest posted including some new Roms out

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ATTENTION: Cyanogenmod version 6.1.0 has A2EXT support built into the rom so an edited boot.img is no longer needed just flash the add-on to enable it and also you must do the commands to move dalvik-cache to the EXT partition as well...
    Thank You for reading this if you actually took the time to! :D

Ok so i decided to post some things on here. Let me explain why I did things the way I did first of all. I decided to only edit the boot.img in each of the froyo roms that we all use and post those here along with a flashable .zip file that allows you to activate apps2ext on froyo roms. I did it this way to show respect to the developers of the roms by not stealing there downloads with my own. Doing it this way means that you have to download the actual rom from them which I hope makes things better for them.

You will need to already have an EXT partition setup already to be able to do this.

To any Dev if you do not like me doing this to your rom then by all means PM me and i will remove it ASAP.

To any downloader/user if there is a rom that you want me to include that isn't or a rom that isn't Froyo let me know and i will try to get that for you ASAP.

Credit for this goes to the Dev's of each rom and the darktremor a2sd method maker:
    Cyanogen and teamdouche
    Tkirton
    Arayray
    r0man
    infinitybiff
    migueltherocker
    XDA of course!! :-D
    Everyone that uses my edits
    If i didn't mention you then PM me i will add you.

Now on to the Goods:
    All of these are just boot.img from each rom. This is not an one for all boot.img type thing because each rom could have done something to the boot.img that may cause a bootloop if added to a different rom.

Rename each to boot.img and place into your rom.
    After that you don't actually have to do any resigning since we all are using clockwork recovery just make sure its setup to allow flashing without signatures.
    This only supports EXT2 or EXT3 which is pretty much all slide users have considering its nothing new.
    Download the a2sd.zip and flash it at any time after you get your base rom flashed.
    I will try to keep these updated to the latest versions if there is enough demand for them. Also i will try to keep the latest 3 nightlies up-to-date.

Boot.imgs:

Boot Images Here

A2sd Enabling package

Instructions:

OK as stated above these are only boot.img.
    You need to rename each to just boot.img and place them inside the rom you like.
    Make sure you wipe everything and do a fresh install it helps a lot to do everything fresh. (if your worried about apps use titanium backup or some other backup app)
    Flash the a2sd add-on

Once the add-on has been flashed and there aren't any problems there are a few ways to enable actual a2ext.
    You can either use adb or a terminal app on your phone.
    If using adb phone can be turned on or in recover with system mounted.

once you pick a way here are the commands:

(if using a terminal app skip steps 1, 2, 5, 6)
    1. ./adb remount (windows: adb remount)
    2. ./adb shell (windows: adb shell)
    Su will be needed for terminal app and may be needed for adb method(just do it in case its needed)
    3. cd /system/bin/
    4. sh a2sd reinstall
    some things will popup and phone should reboot
    5. once rebooted ./adb remount
    6. ./adb shell
    7. cd /system/bin/
    8. sh a2sd cachesd
    more things will popup and phone should reboot. The last reboot can take 5 minutes or longer especially if you already had apps downloaded. I know on a fresh install it can take what seems like ages.
    This is great man, thanks. You saved me the time and trouble of incorporating it myself.

how do i know if it's actually working...?

Get a file explorer with root privileges and find the sd-ext folder in it you should have app app-private and dalvik-cache folders also you could check your internal memory and it should be above 100mb no matter how many apps you have

So I've finally relented and installed the a2ext package (ran out of space even with a2fat32). Upon partitioning my card using GParted, I added ext3 and made it primary. Does it matter whether it's primary or extended? I forget if Android recognizes one or both, although I've confirmed all my apps are on the ext. I'm really just wondering if one is better than the other or if it doesn't matter.

Also, I remember with my G1, when I would connect to Ubuntu, it would show both the fat32 and ext partitions. Come to think of it, I formatted it with AmonRa's recovery. However, with my recently formatted card, it's only showing the fat. How do I get Ubuntu to see the ext? Or is this related to my question above.
    I have it checked on mine along with the default install local as external. Not sure if it matters but I'd do it anyway in case you're unsure.

I just did some experimenting with Angry birds,
    With the CM setting checked it just goes to the FAT on my SD.
    If I go to app settings and click send to phone it doesn't take up any space on my phone's internal memory. Well it takes maybe 1 meg or 2, but I think that's just cache.

I feel that the CM setting should be turned off.
    I will try this out with some more apps to confirm.

EDIT: Yeah. Before installing Angry Birds, 127 MB free internal memory. After installing with CM settings on, it leaves 2/3 megs on phone and the rest on the SD.
    With CM Settings off, No change in internal memory or FAT SD.