Who actually uses screen protectors?

Search This thread

xThe Enforcer

Jan 1, 2011
Florida
Just curious how many people on XDA that have the Captivate and actually use one. (If you do, post the name and what you think)

The Gorilla Glass seems pretty tough to scratch. Anyone have any scratches?

boardsportsrule

Nov 5, 2009
got three of them on ebay for $1.60. I like them... Some day when I take it off to sell it my screen will be PERECT, not "only a few small scratches" and bump the selling price up a few bucks.

G-Man.

Nov 15, 2010
Laramie, WY
$1.60 is a small price to pay just for that little bit of extra insurance... And it is possible to scratch gorilla glass - I did it to my bricked captivate. Thats what happens when you absent mindedly slip your phone into the same pocket your keys are in :D

insaneturbo13

Aug 4, 2010
its gorilla glass you're wasting your 1.60! doesnt scratch.

this is the stupidest post ive seen all day. it CAN scratch. you have been sold on a product that works really well to prevent scratches better than most.. but still its not perfect, i have slipped my captivate out of one pocket and into another that had a penny in it and it made one small but long scratch.

a screen protector would have easily prevented this from happening....

Reactions: wwcjr91 and mookan

Dc5e

Sep 8, 2010
I just received 3 screen protectors for $1.57 from ebay today. Just put it on and it's barely noticeable other than a haze while the screen is off.

I got them because I'm afraid scratching my screen. (My screen already has several micro scratches that are only noticeable when light shines on it at odd angles.)

lightninman

Oct 5, 2010
NY
I got the matte body cover from phantomskinz, including a screen protector. I can't tell it's there, and it's really smooth (compared to invisibleSHIELD)

Plus the matte body looks really snazzy :p

neubauej

Nov 10, 2010
I use the ones available at the att stores. I am VERY picky when it comes to these things, this one is crystal clear, and difficult to tell its on there..

After a little practice ( I went through one package just practicing) I am now easily able to get it on without a single bubble or hair in the first try. Best $10 I've spent on a phone accessory.

chasesavestheday

Sep 29, 2007
Akron, OH
this is the stupidest post ive seen all day. it CAN scratch. you have been sold on a product that works really well to prevent scratches better than most.. but still its not perfect, i have slipped my captivate out of one pocket and into another that had a penny in it and it made one small but long scratch.

well dont put it in a pocket with pennies! solved! :D

Reefermattness

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 27, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
it maybe be scratch resistant but not scratch proof. IMO its foolish to take any unnecessary risks damaging your screen.

Im using SGP Steinheil Anti-Fingerprint screen protectors... installs real easy and durable..

You are right ANYTHING can be scratched. See here http://www.amfed.org/t_mohs.htm notice quartz (found in sand regularly found in a pocket) and glass are right at the same level....

I have tried SOOO many screen protectors over the years. From the cheepies you buy at the ATT store, to the really expensive full phone wraps. I HATE screen protectors like zagg, ghost armor, etc. Yes they cover your phone, but your phone is going to be ugly, and a pain to use. They are sticky, discolored, and textured... all bad things if you are trying not to notice your protector.

The best thing I have found is REALOOK. They are crystal clear, thin, and hard. It feels like glass, and looks like glass. They are $10 for 2 of them, and I have not even had to use my second skin. I put one on my GFs phone at night and she didnt even know for a week she had a screen protector, until I told her. I also heard the SteinHeil screenies are about the same quality, just more expensive.

Last edited:

jwood55812

Jul 19, 2010
Duluth
I actually use a Zagg screen protector, I know a lot of people hate the orange peel look but I don't mind it, it's very smooth under my fingers.

I'm in the boat too where I just keep it on there just in case, and as a matter of fact, it fell in my car the other day, and hit the underside of one of my seats, put a pretty good gouge in my screen protector, i know it would have scratched it if I hadn't had something on.

fluidd

Aug 11, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
all of us cappy owners know that it has gorilla glass, but better safe than sorry. I would rather know I have a 100% free of scratches original screen than some small little scuffs on it without one..

i put on a steinheil ultra crystal clear screen protector.. depending on installation (no air bubbles) you hardly even notice it is there unless you look closely at the edges..

matte screen protectors i truly loathe, because it distorts the image and makes it blurry on our superamoled screens.. absolute garbage..

nappent

I've found the screen protect that comes with all Outterbox cases to be very nice. I think it was the easiest to install. Also I've used Reallook on my wifes Cappy. It feel the same as the Outterbox but you really need to clean the crap out of the glass for it to work well. It's not as forgiving to get the bubbles smoothed out as the Outterbox one...

In any case make sure to use a good glass cleaner before installing one.

Barbarian

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona

Agreed. It most certainly can be scratched. I have a scratch on mine. Barely noticeable, only at certain angles and in the light is that noticeable. My phone is still naked but I do plan on getting a case from Otterbox when I can.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    its gorilla glass you're wasting your 1.60! doesnt scratch.

I am a big advocate of screen protectors.
    However, I took mine off to replace it a couple of days ago and looked at the screen without it on. Amazing! I never noticed the clarity of this screen before, or I just got accustomed to the filtered view through the protector.

Man, I think I am going to just be careful with my phone and run without a screen protector...
    I agree although I have had my cappy for 2 years now and there are a few noticeable scratches of you really look hard but nothing that I regret never putting one on there. But gorilla glass is not a miracle, it does scratch so people that want a perfectly flawless screen may want one

Sent from my AOKP Captivate.