Search This thread

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Need to take apart your LG Optimus G Pro to perform a screen repair? This step-by-step tutorial demonstrates how to properly disassemble your Optimus G Pro to all you to install the following replacement parts.

• LG Optimus G Pro Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
  • LG Optimus G Pro LCD Screen Replacement

Recommended Repair Tools:

• Safe Opening Pry Tool
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Adhesive Strips (Used for touch screen / screen assembly replacements)
  • Heat Gun/Hair Dryer (Used to warm and release adhesive)

Optimus G Pro Tear Down Guide:

Before you begin you must make sure to power off your device completely.

To start you will need to remove the back cover of the device as well as the battery, sim card, and Micro-SD card.
Next step you will need to remove the 14 Small Phillips Screws (#00) securing the back housing to the device.
Once those screws have been removed you can take your safe open pry tool to release the clips holding the back housing to the mid-frame. (work your way around the housing being careful not to break any of the clips)
Once the back housing has been removed you can now begin to release the 4 pop connectors and antenna cable as shown in the figure below.
You will also need to release the rear camera from the housing using your plastic pry tool (Be careful not to rip or tear the attached flex cable.)

See figure below for screw and flex cable locations.

lg-optimus-g-pro-repair-guide-1.jpg

After all the appropriate connections have been released you can now carefully remove the motherboard from the device.
Be cautious as the motherboard is slightly fastened in the housing with a small clip that could potentially damaged the small and narrow portion of the motherboard.

See below figure for reference

lg-optimus-g-pro-repair-guide-2.jpg

Now that you have safely removed the motherboard you can now begin removing the last few necessary components to start the screen removal process.

First you will need to lift up the touch screen digitizer's flex cable and remove the ear speaker (both are held with a little adhesive)
Next you can take your plastic pry tool to gently pry up the lower USB port / soft key assembly and remove it from the device.
You will now be able to begin applying heat to the screen assembly to be able to remove the LCD and touch screen digitizer.
Using your heat source on a medium setting you will want to evenly apply heat to all outer edges of the screen for 30-45 second intervals.
Be cautious not to hover over and flex ribbons that you may need to reuse for re-assembly.

lg-optimus-g-pro-repair-guide-3.jpg

Notice: This LG Optimus G Pro repair guide is for informational and learning purposes only. Perform this repair at your own risk.

Last edited:

st1114g

Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for the great tutorial!!!!
Just hope I never have to use it ;p

Sent from my LG-F240L using xda app-developers app

whereiszack

Oct 25, 2010
Do you have to replace the digitizer as well? I am buying a G Pro with a cracked glass, but the digitizer and LCD still work. Is it possible to keep the digitizer intact, or will I have to replace both the glass and the digitizer? Thanks!

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Do you have to replace the digitizer as well? I am buying a G Pro with a cracked glass, but the digitizer and LCD still work. Is it possible to keep the digitizer intact, or will I have to replace both the glass and the digitizer? Thanks!
The "digitizer" and touch screen are the same. All of the keywords can be confusing at times I know. If the phone you are buying has cracked glass then you would need to replace the "touch screen digitizer" For example:

yhst-77219656498823_2267_670202

Reactions: whereiszack

smaybe

Aug 8, 2012
www.feedup.me
I got a question
On my screen attached what is in the yellow circle ?

On my phone is Not at the Same place of the photos and there's a hole on my case but not on the back panel of my phone

Attachments

• 2013-06-28-18-31-46.jpg
    2013-06-28-18-31-46.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,644
  • 2013-06-28-18-25-15-1.jpg
    2013-06-28-18-25-15-1.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,698
Reactions: fastwanabe

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
I got a question
On my screen attached what is in the yellow circle ?

On my phone is Not at the Same place of the photos and there's a hole on my case but not on the back panel of my phone
What exact model do you have? This repair guide is based off of the Optimus G Pro E980 and the circle you are referencing to is actually a water sensor. On the stock back cover this slot is not exposed.

Droid>iOS

Aug 12, 2012
I want a Whtie G Pro like the international version but there is only Indigo Blue for AT&T.

Is it possible to remove the housing and swap out a White housing?

MaddMan420

Apr 25, 2011
Miami, FL
I want a Whtie G Pro like the international version but there is only Indigo Blue for AT&T.

Is it possible to remove the housing and swap out a White housing?

Here's the white glass/digitizer, but I don't think it comes with a white button. : http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Touch-Screen-Glass-Digitizer-Lens-Replacement-For-LG-Optimus-G-Pro-F240-/271205745780?pt=US_Cell_Phone_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3f251f4474

I can't find any white back panels though.

chlhec

Apr 24, 2009
lemon E980

okay, here's the thing.

I bought a E980 like two weeks ago from EBay (i'm located outside US and wanted this phone so bad)

Three days ago i noticed touching the external soft keys were not "noticed" by the phone, but i could live with it.

Every night incrementally the phone would stop responding to inputs like half an inch from the bottom to the top.

Like:
1st day -> no soft keys
2nd day -> no soft keys + a little bit of the screen
3rd day -> no soft keys + about 1 inch on the bottom of the screen

i have tried factory resetting and everything (as the screen/glass is not cracked) and i know for sure i have not let it fall or bump on anything.

Does this sound like i got the lemon, or just bad software?

I mean, i think the digitizer would stop working all at once, not every night it'd "advance" towards the top.

Please help me on this one.

Btw, Optimus G Pro E980.

nthknd

Feb 17, 2011
okay, here's the thing.

I bought a E980 like two weeks ago from EBay (i'm located outside US and wanted this phone so bad)

Three days ago i noticed touching the external soft keys were not "noticed" by the phone, but i could live with it.

Every night incrementally the phone would stop responding to inputs like half an inch from the bottom to the top.

Like:
1st day -> no soft keys
2nd day -> no soft keys + a little bit of the screen
3rd day -> no soft keys + about 1 inch on the bottom of the screen

i have tried factory resetting and everything (as the screen/glass is not cracked) and i know for sure i have not let it fall or bump on anything.

Does this sound like i got the lemon, or just bad software?

I mean, i think the digitizer would stop working all at once, not every night it'd "advance" towards the top.

Please help me on this one.

Btw, Optimus G Pro E980.

Call LG USA its still should be under warranty. Just an Idea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

madgalaxy

Mar 9, 2006
Tampa
Folks,

It appears there is some water damage on an LG G Pro I have. My son had been using it and one morning it would not turn on. The water sensor at the top was red and there was some condensation on the camera lens and the top corners of the screen. The water sensor on the battery is white, so I think the water damage was only at the top of the device. So I dropped it in a bag of rice for 48 hours. This has worked a couple times on previous phones, but did not this time.

The condensation is gone but the phone will not turn on at all. Nothing when I connect it to the charger or PC. Any ideas one what I can do to resurrect this phone, or maybe parts to replace?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Folks,

It appears there is some water damage on an LG G Pro I have. My son had been using it and one morning it would not turn on. The water sensor at the top was red and there was some condensation on the camera lens and the top corners of the screen. The water sensor on the battery is white, so I think the water damage was only at the top of the device. So I dropped it in a bag of rice for 48 hours. This has worked a couple times on previous phones, but did not this time.

The condensation is gone but the phone will not turn on at all. Nothing when I connect it to the charger or PC. Any ideas one what I can do to resurrect this phone, or maybe parts to replace?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Water damage can be tricky to diagnose. You may have to dis-assemble the device and check the connections and other components for signs of corrosion. Sometimes you are able to clean up these areas with 91% alcohol (or higher) and a q-tip.

You wont be able to tell until you open up the device. Is there any signs of functionality at all? System sounds, vibration etc?

madgalaxy

Mar 9, 2006
Tampa
Water damage can be tricky to diagnose. You may have to dis-assemble the device and check the connections and other components for signs of corrosion. Sometimes you are able to clean up these areas with 91% alcohol (or higher) and a q-tip.

You wont be able to tell until you open up the device. Is there any signs of functionality at all? System sounds, vibration etc?

There are no sounds, vibrations or lights. Zero. I took it apart and could not see any noticeable corrosion. I did clean all the connections with alcohol. Gonna let it sit overnight and put it back together and see what happens.

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
There are no sounds, vibrations or lights. Zero. I took it apart and could not see any noticeable corrosion. I did clean all the connections with alcohol. Gonna let it sit overnight and put it back together and see what happens.
Yeah sometimes it's a hit and miss. You might want to check to see if your battery has gone bad from the water damage before you determine it could be a brick.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Need to take apart your LG Optimus G Pro to perform a screen repair? This step-by-step tutorial demonstrates how to properly disassemble your Optimus G Pro to all you to install the following replacement parts.

• LG Optimus G Pro Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
    • LG Optimus G Pro LCD Screen Replacement

Recommended Repair Tools:

• Safe Opening Pry Tool
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver
    • Adhesive Strips (Used for touch screen / screen assembly replacements)
    • Heat Gun/Hair Dryer (Used to warm and release adhesive)

Optimus G Pro Tear Down Guide:

Before you begin you must make sure to power off your device completely.

To start you will need to remove the back cover of the device as well as the battery, sim card, and Micro-SD card.
    Next step you will need to remove the 14 Small Phillips Screws (#00) securing the back housing to the device.
    Once those screws have been removed you can take your safe open pry tool to release the clips holding the back housing to the mid-frame. (work your way around the housing being careful not to break any of the clips)
    Once the back housing has been removed you can now begin to release the 4 pop connectors and antenna cable as shown in the figure below.
    You will also need to release the rear camera from the housing using your plastic pry tool (Be careful not to rip or tear the attached flex cable.)

See figure below for screw and flex cable locations.

lg-optimus-g-pro-repair-guide-1.jpg

After all the appropriate connections have been released you can now carefully remove the motherboard from the device.
    Be cautious as the motherboard is slightly fastened in the housing with a small clip that could potentially damaged the small and narrow portion of the motherboard.

lg-optimus-g-pro-repair-guide-2.jpg

Now that you have safely removed the motherboard you can now begin removing the last few necessary components to start the screen removal process.

First you will need to lift up the touch screen digitizer's flex cable and remove the ear speaker (both are held with a little adhesive)
    Next you can take your plastic pry tool to gently pry up the lower USB port / soft key assembly and remove it from the device.
    You will now be able to begin applying heat to the screen assembly to be able to remove the LCD and touch screen digitizer.
    Using your heat source on a medium setting you will want to evenly apply heat to all outer edges of the screen for 30-45 second intervals.
    Be cautious not to hover over and flex ribbons that you may need to reuse for re-assembly.

lg-optimus-g-pro-repair-guide-3.jpg

Notice: This LG Optimus G Pro repair guide is for informational and learning purposes only. Perform this repair at your own risk.
    Thanks for the great tutorial!!!!
    Just hope I never have to use it ;p

Sent from my LG-F240L using xda app-developers app
    You are very welcome!
    Another Tutorial on how to replace the Digitizer / Screen

Thanks for the wisdom. I ordered a new screen for my 980 and expect to try to replace it Thursday or Friday. I used to repair iPhone cracked screens, so I'm hoping this won't be too bad. I'm thinking about making a tutorial along the way and if it works I'll post it, since the one by Repairs Universe doesn't have the actual glass replacement included, otherwise it's a great tutorial. Thank's again for the help.

Well, I got the Digitizer today and spent 3 hours replacing my broken screen. I also made this step by step picture tutorial that hopefully will supplement the www.repairsuniverse.com video. I hope it helps. All the best !!!

http://www.feelc.org/LGOptimusGProDigitizerReplacement.pps
    My experience

Good tutorial. I used this and another teardown guide to replace the digitizer on my E980. I'm not really a hardware guy, and I have limited experience taking stuff apart like this, but I was successful in fixing my phone using a small philips screwdriver, a plastic pry tool, and a blow dryer.

When removing the motherboard, notice the clip that is highlighted in the photo. To move the mobo around this, I started at the bottom of the phone and gently lifted up the bottom of the mobo. Once the bottom is pried up, work the middle, thin part of the motherboard around the clip. If the motherboard won't lift out, check again to make sure you lifted all the highlighted clips and removed the phone camera.

The ear speaker is the black rectangle located at the top-center of the device. Notice how the ear speaker has a little extension that goes off to the right, and which wraps around a screw-hole. Try prying it up from this extension. Perhaps try a shot of heat from the blow dryer to loosen the adhesive, if it’s stuck fast. (I gather you can damage the phone with too much heat, so be careful.)

The digitizer flex cable is the top-right-most flex cable. Trace the flex cable to its base – this is the part that is held down with adhesive. Pry the orange base up from the gold foil backing below. This assembly is attached to the digitizer, and it threads through the body of the phone so that you can remove the digitizer.

A cautionary tale: I wrecked the original adhesive pretty bad when I removed the digitizer from the phone body. I tried re-using the original adhesive by smooshing it back into place, and by wadding up little balls of the used adhesive and placing it in strategic locations. This turned out to be a bad idea – when I put the digitizer back on the phone, it didn’t sit exactly flush with the phone body. I said “oh well” and put the phone back together anyway. This was a mistake; the phone worked fine, but dirt started to collect under the digitizer after keeping the phone in my pocket for a couple of days.

I recommend that you get replacement adhesive. It’s only a few bucks for a huge roll of it on Amazon. I used 2mm width white/clear adhesive, and it works well. I got replacement adhesive, took my phone apart again, and replaced all the original adhesive with fresh stuff. After this, the phone is good as new!

When I took the phone apart, all 3 physical buttons from the sides (volume, lock, and quicklaunch button) fell out, which is expected. When you put the phone back together, note that even though the lock and quicklaunch buttons are the same size and shape, they are not interchangeable. Examine the buttons and their receptacles and you will see which button goes where.
    In LgOGP the screen glass and LCD display are separated and you can change only one of them without affecting other.
    Latest models are with One glass solution displays. In this case you need a stand, uv lamp etc. to replace only screen glass.

Изпратено с пощенски гълъб