Fix weak LTE connection in ZVD firmware

Search This thread

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
If you have noticed after the ZVD update you seem to be on 3g a lot and seem to have problems staying on LTE in locations you previously had good signals, here is a fix I shared in the ZVD update thread which seems to completely resolved the issue:

1. Obtain your MSL
2. open the dialer and enter ##data#
3. Tap LTE and select edit
4. Enter your MSL
5. Select BSRTimer (defaults to 3000) and change the value to 3
6. Press back, phone should reboot
7. Profit

*does not require root

After doing this, I'm back to nearly constant LTE connectivity, where prior to the fix I was on 3g almost every time I checked.

Last edited:

danieldp1990

Jul 17, 2012
cali
If you have noticed after the ZVD update you seem to be on 3g a lot and seem to have problems staying on LTE in locations you previously had good signals, here is a possible fix I shared in the ZVD update thread which seems to have complete resolved the issue:

1. Obtain your MSL
4. Enter your MSL
7. Profit

How do I know my MSL?

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
You can also ask Sprint via chat or call customer service and generally they will tell you with no hassle at all.

majedalanni

Jun 5, 2007
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro
if you have noticed after the zvd update you seem to be on 3g a lot and seem to have problems staying on lte in locations you previously had good signals, here is a possible fix i shared in the zvd update thread which seems to have complete resolved the issue:

1. Obtain your msl
2. Open the dialer and enter ##data#
3. Tap lte and select edit
4. Enter your msl
5. Select bsrtimer (defaults to 3000) and change the value to 3
7. Profit

thanks man that fixed my nightmare

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
Since this thread has very little activity, I'm wondering if only a few of us had the issue? For those that had the problem that this fixed, did you sideload the update through adb, or take it OTA? I used adb and that makes me wonder if those who got it over the air didn't have the problem?

James7Bond007

Aug 30, 2012
I think this problem affects everyone who took the ZVD update; I certainly have noticed significantly less LTE service since upgrading.

I haven't tried this fix yet since I'm often on wifi or in areas where I know there's no LTE, but I'll probably give it a shot eventually.

Edit: FYI, I took the all the updates OTA (never rooted, never installed customer recovery or ROM).

Since this thread has very little activity, I'm wondering if only a few of us had the issue? For those that had the problem that this fixed, did you sideload the update through adb, or take it OTA? I used adb and that makes me wonder if those who got it over the air didn't have the problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: rocket321

etd

Oct 3, 2012
Orlando
i have had a weak signal problem as well. i used the described way to get my MSL and it worked great. i then applied the change under the ##data# menu.

it seems to have worked great!! i will report back after a few days. :D

Nov 24, 2013
It helped, but I'm still having connectivity issues. Granted, my problem started during the zvc update, and as I'm typing this I just got dumped to 3G.
I did end up doing a full ##rtn# reset though. After everything finished I checked the BSRTimer and it was set to 1 instead of the 3 I set from the 3000

My connectivity is noticeably better though. Reps are saying the sites I'm connecting to are e/CSFB upgraded though. *shrug. Before kitkat I almost never lost LTE. Guess I just have to wait on them to install the carrier cards to deploy band 26.

At home when I hook LTE I usually run a -113 to -118.

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
It helped, but I'm still having connectivity issues. Granted, my problem started during the zvc update, and as I'm typing this I just got dumped to 3G.
I did end up doing a full ##rtn# reset though. After everything finished I checked the BSRTimer and it was set to 1 instead of the 3 I set from the 3000

My connectivity is noticeably better though. Reps are saying the sites I'm connecting to are e/CSFB upgraded though. *shrug. Before kitkat I almost never lost LTE. Guess I just have to wait on them to install the carrier cards to deploy band 26.

At home when I hook LTE I usually run a -113 to -118.
Yep this is a good point, I don't know that it's specifically supposed to be 3,but I do know 3000 was causing my phone to park on 3g almost all of the time, and now it is on LTE almost constantly (we have band 26 available here).

Even in my basement with the signal bar indicator showing zero bars I have maintained LTE.

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
Now that this has been posted a while, (I also saw it posted over on S4GRU) and it seems to be helping a lot of people, which makes me feel good for my accidental discovery!

With that said, I have been watching the RDF page and it's still showing ZVD, which indicates to me that LG may not be working on another update yet. I was hoping for a fairly quick 2nd release which would fix this LTE bug and also add wifi calling.

Is there some good way to flag this issue to LG without having to get hundreds or thousands of people to call Sprint customer service about it? Somehow I suspect the average user will notice poor LTE performance and just blame Sprint coverage rather than the ZVD update. Most will not be bothered to actually call about it either. I just wish manufacturers had an engineering mailbox or forum setup where the enthusiasts could actually flag these issues so they could be fixed in the next release. Customer service will probably just tell people to factory reset their phone.

Then again, maybe someone here has a LG connection they can get the word out :)

1bayne

Apr 11, 2011
If you have noticed after the ZVD update you seem to be on 3g a lot and seem to have problems staying on LTE in locations you previously had good signals, here is a fix I shared in the ZVD update thread which seems to completely resolved the issue:

1. Obtain your MSL
4. Enter your MSL
7. Profit

*does not require root

After doing this, I'm back to nearly constant LTE connectivity, where prior to the fix I was on 3g almost every time I checked.

Thanks for the information, I have located my MSL and entered DIAG, where do I locate LTE?
LS980 on ZVD :confused:

jayt0625

Nov 16, 2011
Stowe, PA
Since I made the switch over to ZVD I have been picking up LTE everywhere. The only problem I am having is that I usually have to reboot my phone for out to switch over. Will this help with that? I am on LTE/CDMA...

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
Since I made the switch over to ZVD I have been picking up LTE everywhere. The only problem I am having is that I usually have to reboot my phone for out to switch over. Will this help with that? I am on LTE/CDMA...
Yep, if you are rebooting or toggling airplane mode to get LTE, this should fix you up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Obtain your MSL
    4. Enter your MSL
    7. Profit

*does not require root

How do I know my MSL?

If you don't know it and you are running ZVC or higher, you have to use a flashtool, such as CDMA Workshop or use basic flasher and follow this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2521276
    I think this problem affects everyone who took the ZVD update; I certainly have noticed significantly less LTE service since upgrading.

I haven't tried this fix yet since I'm often on wifi or in areas where I know there's no LTE, but I'll probably give it a shot eventually.

Edit: FYI, I took the all the updates OTA (never rooted, never installed customer recovery or ROM).

You mean data menu

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk