LiveView reverse-engineering effort

Search This thread

mr_pablo

Apr 27, 2010
Has there been any success in the past year with Open LiveView being able to utilise LV plugins ("official" or open-source)?

Candy-men

May 15, 2007
Berlin
Re-Animate my LiveView

Hi Folks,
A long Time ago i used my LiveView. But it was too crappy and always looses connection. Even solder new Antennas didn´t solved the Problems.
But now I installed the OpenLiveView APK and was wondering how good the LV works.
The connection´s beeing lost sometimes, but comes back very quick at one Press.
It seems that the Hardware isn´t that bad, but the Software was the real ****. Shame on You Sony!!!!

Conclusion: The LiveView is an usable Smartwatch. It has less features than my loved SW2 , but it ist usable...

One Million Thanks to the father of OLV for that present!!!!!!

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
due to a request i'm going to release a custom firmware soon that will just allow you to control all the pixels through a serial usb connection. (aswell as reading the inputs from the touch buttons)
for myself i'm going to use it as display on a raspberry pi.

i have no plans on ever finishing the smartwatch like custom firmware since i have not that much spare time and just wait for the arrival of the sony smartwatch 3 in germany.

Reactions: deani77 and tvall

vbaros

Mar 25, 2011
due to a request i'm going to release a custom firmware soon that will just allow you to control all the pixels through a serial usb connection. (aswell as reading the inputs from the touch buttons)
for myself i'm going to use it as display on a raspberry pi.

i have no plans on ever finishing the smartwatch like custom firmware since i have not that much spare time and just wait for the arrival of the sony smartwatch 3 in germany.
I acctually wanted to do the same, I just lack the knowledge or the time to aquire it :) Can you consider realising a guide for it?

Reactions: GottZ

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
I acctually wanted to do the same, I just lack the knowledge or the time to aquire it :) Can you consider realising a guide for it?

I'll do the firmware coding on linux and will write a nodejs module to communicate with it cross platform over usb. I might aswell create a simple c library for interaction that can be used on Windows aswell as linux.

I will write down all the requirements and how to configure certain things to get the compiling done by yourself.
I will also provide binaries though.

All in all its not that complicated to extend if you got it running.

If you want to I can also make you a contributor to the resulting github project.

Even further.. Did you got Google hangouts or something else?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

renzenicolai

Aug 13, 2012
www.rnplus.nl
Whoa, finally something I can use that piece of crap for :)
I'm looking forward to that "use it as a display over usb" firmware.

In the mean time: I moved the google code project for the app to github since I am actually using github for other projects now. (I am not going to continue developing the app but I will look into pull requests and if possible I will publish the new versions on Google Play. I just don't expect any developer to be interested in continuing this project :p)
https://github.com/rnplus/OpenLiveView

Reactions: GottZ

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
Whoa, finally something I can use that piece of crap for :)
I'm looking forward to that "use it as a display over usb" firmware.

I currently try to find a good way to get the serial interface working on Windows aswell. I guess In the end I'll just emulate a common usb to rs232 device to get windows to think it's just a virtual com port. This way it could even be accessed through putty.
Bad thing: I did not find a good solution yet how I could flash a custom firmware using Windows.

All in all this is not a problem in linux at all. I just want to make it available to Windows users aswell.
Good thoughts appreciated.

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
@GottZ

Any news about the custom firmware?

I currently have to stay focused on my graduation.

That stuff is finished around 15th to 25th of June.
Fair enough I'll get a working version online as soon as I can. Probably even before 1st of June.

Just keep an eye on this thread. As soon as I have a working prototype, I'll share it with all of you through github and will announce it here ofc.

PS: do you guys think a virtual com port (ttyusb on linux) would do the job? I wonder how much bandwidth I can squeeze through it if I add plug'n'play compatibility for Windows.

Last edited:

Presko

Jun 27, 2009
Rousse / Русе
Based on my experince with satrecievers and old tech watches and pda the speed will be adequate for the inner space of the watch 115 kbps so basicily will the same time as a odin upload ;) this offcourse for firmware instalation as for daily sync i thing it is enought also but this mean that the bluetooth is cut out at all ?

GottZ

Sep 20, 2008
Cologne
gottz.de
Based on my experince with satrecievers and old tech watches and pda the speed will be adequate for the inner space of the watch 115 kbps so basicily will the same time as a odin upload ;) this offcourse for firmware instalation as for daily sync i thing it is enought also but this mean that the bluetooth is cut out at all ?

If you manage to initialize Bluetooth and get it to work properly feel free to share your experience. This is firmware programming after all and I'm not that good in that area.

JabberwockPL

Aug 18, 2015
The USB firmware

Gottz,

Are you still planning to release to firmware for USB display? I'd love to use LiveView with my Raspberry Pi...

Nov 26, 2013
make it usable with a PC? possible?

can anyone please write a firmware/software for the thingy and the PC to detect what is touched/pressed?
the software only needs to detect what's pressed then by some other software available you can simply map the keys to some other keys/combinations so it can work however you like it to :D
you can pair it to a PC but there's no driver/software to host it or even tell it the time
I hope it is usable with a PC or I'll be regretting buying a watch for more than it's worth :(

A

AndroidSlave

can anyone please write a firmware/software for the thingy and the PC to detect what is touched/pressed?
the software only needs to detect what's pressed then by some other software available you can simply map the keys to some other keys/combinations so it can work however you like it to :D
you can pair it to a PC but there's no driver/software to host it or even tell it the time
I hope it is usable with a PC or I'll be regretting buying a watch for more than it's worth :(

Is that your technical analysis?

DJFliX

Feb 3, 2009
Utrecht
I know I'm royally necroing this thread, but I believe I have a good reason:

Today I've started on my NodeJS implementation of the LiveView server code. This means that I can now connect to the LiveView and decode most of it's messages. There is still plenty of work to do, but at least showing the time works!

If you want to check it out or contribute: https://github.com/thisiswhytheinternetexists/nodeliveview

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

A few weeks ago I started taking apart the LiveView software and manager. I'm really unhappy with the current plugin system, the menu structure and more. So, I started to reverse-engineer the Bluetooth protocol. I'm at the very beginning but it's looking promising.

Here's the repo: https://github.com/BurntBrunch/LivelierView

The protocol is not very difficult - just request-acknowledge-response serial communication over RFCOMM. Also, the kind people from SE didn't run the manager through Proguard (wink, wink, nudge, nudge ;) ).

I also have what I *think* is a dump of the firmware but it seems either compressed or encrypted. Binwalk didn't find anything in it. If someone would be kind enough to take apart the software updater, we might figure out what's running on the actual device as well.

Overall, I'm just starting but so far it's looking good (got time syncing working! it's at least a watch, if nothing else! :p ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (pull requests are more than welcome! :))
    Well just a brief status update. The project I've started on github has been progressing, greatly in part from the contributions of boombuler.

You can go there ( https://github.com/pedronveloso/OpenLiveView ) and check the README, and I've compiled and attached an APK so you guys can test for yourselves without having to clone the repo and compile ;). Right now that APK only asks for connecting with the device (has to be paired first of course) and then sends a Vibrate command to the LiveView. There's more commands done in the source then just that but the functionality has not yet received a dedicated UI since the whole thing is on a very early stage.

Bare in mind that theres no point in reporting any bugs at this stage since I myself keep finding them with ease :p

NOTE : You might have to uninstall LiveView first in order to test the app, at least I had to uninstall it because of Broadcasts that where getting in the way sometimes when the LiveView app was installed.

its not done yet. will need to enable getpixel in chibios gfx in order to have clean alpha overlapping. (well you cant see it anyways on a video)
    Update!

Here you go, the next update! :)

Visible changes:
    I added mediacontrols (play/pause, previous track and next track) to the menu.

Invisible changes (protocol):
    - Implemented brightness controll for the liveview display (off, dim and on)
    - Implemented ClearDisplay command
    - Implemented DisplayBitmap command

Invisible changes (gui):
    - Added mediacontrolls like in the sony app when you long press the select key.

Now the problem I am currently experiencing:
    The LiveView does not send back the navigate commands for left, right and select (short press) when in menu mode AND when out of menu mode (zero menuitems).

My question to the original developer of the "net.sourcewalker.olv" app is if he can tell me how to make the liveview send those keypresses to the service.

Something that I found out:
    the device sends DEVICESTATUS_ON back in stead of DEVICESTATUS_MENU when there are zero menu items, in that mode you have full controll over the screen (blanking and sending bitmaps).

EDIT:
    Small bugfix (next button didn't work)
    I'm sorry for being a noob again but what is OLV?
    Can there be a rom for the LiveView in the coming years?
    Is the LiveView open source?
    + can anyone provide me a detailed spec sheet of the LiveView... Like the processor and alll..

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

1. OLV means: OpenLiveView wich is our project name (we have a custom android app that fully replaces sony's app)
    2. a rom is currently in developement as you can see within this post.
    3. the liveview itself is not opensource. our stuff however is.
    4. i cannot provide you a detailed spec sheet right now but will do it when i have some time digging out that info.

so.. now to what i want to post:

current snapshot of my firmware folder in attachments.

current binary of the firmware is also in the attachments. (for thoose who just want to try it without compiling and know what they do)

how to use the firmware folder:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38341041&postcount=731

(yes, i suck at english. digg through it or wait till i explain it on http://openliveview.com)

stuff that is on my todo:

• display timeout (aprox 5 minutes to implement it)
    • bluetooth (need help)
    • write access to the internal storage (need help)
    • access to the current battery charge info (need help)
    • basic menu system (i'm on it)
    • stopwatch (i'm on it after the menu)
    • digital clock (will do it after i did the stopwatch)
    • other stuff