[Q] Note 3 Problems Due to Kitkat Update

Search This thread

mxv588t

Feb 5, 2014
Now, my problem started when I updated my OS from jellybean to kitkat about 2-3 days ago (but my phone has a contract and was bought 13 Nov 2013). About a day after, I suddenly noticed some problems on my phone. Frequently, my Menu button, Home button, and back button will suddenly not work even when you press it. When this happens, the half portion of the screen is also not functioning to my touch. I can only make it work again if I press the LOCK screen or if I pull out the S pen. On the passcode pattern, only the two upper portions are working. Same method if I want to get it working again.

I tried to factory reset my phone and still the problem persists.

Does anyone of you had this problem during the update?

Hope anyone can shed light on this matter. Thanks.

skalium

Nov 5, 2008
Hi,
My n9005 had a similar behaviour when updated to kk then I took out it's unofficial cover. Screen and buttons are ok now, but I am having some other issues:
- sometimes when people call me, they think my phone is off, even it's on and displaying strong signal.
- No way to use 3g (only gsm and cdma options are available in setting menu, tried every single config, can't get 3g to work).
- camera is slow to save and react.

If any one have a clue about what I should do to fix this, please dont hesitate to suggest a fix (essentially for 3g issue, I can live with the other glitches).
Thanks again.
(Hope I didn't hijacked your post)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mxv588t

Feb 5, 2014
Hmm... mine is also SM-N9005 (or note 3). The guy from samsung said they better check it first and it could not be caused by the recent update...probably from hardware issues...

skalium

Nov 5, 2008
Imho, i's not hardware. I know a bunch of guys who suffer these symptoms just after updating via OTA to 4.2.2. Have to say that the unresponsive screen, mainly when entering phone passcode. Cicking the power/sleep button also worked for me when screen freezes. Samsung admitted that the kitkat update has changed the rules and that third party accessories(s-pen and other stuff) won't work with its devices (they said it's a bug that they gonna fix in the coming update)
I got my phone from Vodafone Spain, it was on jelly bean and working perfectly. Then I traveled to Morocco and wanted to use it with a local network provider (Maroc Telecom). Got it imei unlocked and he phone worked just ok. Then I was prompted for the kit lat update, did it via OTA and immediately the phone started to behave strangely (the kit kat syndrom).
The strangest thing is I can't get Maroc Telecom 3G network or any of the 2 other Moroccan providers' to work. When I looked at the settings, surprise: instead of listing "GSM only, 3g only, Lte only, Automatic..." it just shows " wcdma/gsm (auto)/wcdma only" options.
So till now, I can't get 3g to work, ever after checking APN, wiping, reseting, hard resting. I've read somewhere that this is had something to do with the network radio bands, but I am not sure about what to do to fix this (thinking about installing the cm11 nightly).
I hope you'll be luckier that I was and solve your note issues.

mxv588t

Feb 5, 2014
Imho, i's not hardware. I know a bunch of guys who suffer these symptoms just after updating via OTA to 4.2.2. Have to say that the unresponsive screen, mainly when entering phone passcode. Cicking the power/sleep button also worked for me when screen freezes. Samsung admitted that the kitkat update has changed the rules and that third party accessories(s-pen and other stuff) won't work with its devices (they said it's a bug that they gonna fix in the coming update)
I got my phone from Vodafone Spain, it was on jelly bean and working perfectly. Then I traveled to Morocco and wanted to use it with a local network provider (Maroc Telecom). Got it imei unlocked and he phone worked just ok. Then I was prompted for the kit lat update, did it via OTA and immediately the phone started to behave strangely (the kit kat syndrom).
The strangest thing is I can't get Maroc Telecom 3G network or any of the 2 other Moroccan providers' to work. When I looked at the settings, surprise: instead of listing "GSM only, 3g only, Lte only, Automatic..." it just shows " wcdma/gsm (auto)/wcdma only" options.
So till now, I can't get 3g to work, ever after checking APN, wiping, reseting, hard resting. I've read somewhere that this is had something to do with the network radio bands, but I am not sure about what to do to fix this (thinking about installing the cm11 nightly).

Okay, so here's the update. Last Sunday I was already set to bring this to Samsung Singapore for an assessment. So what I did was to put back the original casing (I am previously using a third party flip cover). I was observing it the whole day and suddenly my note 3 worked fine. Because of this I didn't bring it to Samsung. Now I am still observing it and so far no problems. I believe the reason is the flip cover... but it's strange as the affected portion is the lower half of the screen, home button, menu button and back button.

I hope you solve your problem on your note 3 as well.

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014

I'm not an expert but it seems to me you updated hardware for Spain with Morocco firmware. I'm totally guessing here but you probably would need at least to flash different modem software to match your hardware. If I was you and Knox flag =0 I would probably try Samsung service first, once you start flashing custom stuff, most likely you will trip Knox flag and you may be totally on your own to fix it and there may not be many people with similar set up to help you out.

errol19

Aug 3, 2012
Adelaide
I here lots of people have trouble with KITKAT update OTA method.Try manual flash official stock rom with odin.

skalium

Nov 5, 2008
>mxv588t
Glad you could solve your problem :)

>pete4k
Thanks for the advice. Samsung guys are useless. They are formated to answer specific questions.
Will try to flash a compatible modem because I beleive Moroccan devices did not have kitkat update yet( and the ones that are officially sold here aren't strait n9005 but some variant (n9000ZWE, with this bizarre stock n900xxxubmhc_llc).
Thanks guys :)

guichankr

Mar 16, 2014
Same issue - did you find a solution ?

>mxv588t
Glad you could solve your problem :)

>pete4k
Thanks for the advice. Samsung guys are useless. They are formated to answer specific questions.
Will try to flash a compatible modem because I beleive Moroccan devices did not have kitkat update yet( and the ones that are officially sold here aren't strait n9005 but some variant (n9000ZWE, with this bizarre stock n900xxxubmhc_llc).
Thanks guys :)

I have the same issue today. Did you find a solution?

radzio27

May 17, 2009
Don't update through OTA. Download full firmware and flash through odin, and after that do full wipe. There should be no problem after that.

Sent from N9005 4.4.2 NB7 rooted device

I have same problem with my Note 3 after upgrade to KK. Tried to flash full firmware and wipe after instalation,but problem with accidental freezing still persist.
Please help :(

guichankr

Mar 16, 2014
Solved for my case : HW cover issue

Don't update through OTA. Download full firmware and flash through odin, and after that do full wipe. There should be no problem after that.

Sent from N9005 4.4.2 NB7 rooted device

Hello,
I changed the back cover of the note 3 to bring it to the customer service.
I had the same experience as the other guy : with the original cover, the bug disappear.
Guillaume

guichankr

Mar 16, 2014
I confirm it, since I am back with the original back cover of my note 3, the freezing issue disappeared (since 1 week)
Is there a chip or a pin on the cover that could detect the phone ?

Sent from my SM-N900 using xda app-developers app

opiuz

Jul 11, 2008
Note 3 lock screen crash after kk update

ok so ive been following the forums for a while now, living with the lock screen crash, most anoying...

ive done all the above,.. put oem back cover back, problem seemed to go away, and only happen intermittently, but now its come back more frequently.

for me the most annoying part is not being able to answer phone calls when the lock screen lags, but ive gotten around this by either using my blue tooth ear piece or my gear.

my next step is go format the dam phone and reload from scratch, but im really not wanting to do that, given the rather large games installed, and the download times on my 2 meg connection takes days.

im hoping somebodie has a fix before i do the format reinstall

opiuz

Jul 11, 2008
ok so ive been following the forums for a while now, living with the lock screen crash, most anoying...

ive done all the above,.. put oem back cover back, problem seemed to go away, and only happen intermittently, but now its come back more frequently.

for me the most annoying part is not being able to answer phone calls when the lock screen lags, but ive gotten around this by either using my blue tooth ear piece or my gear.

my next step is go format the dam phone and reload from scratch, but im really not wanting to do that, given the rather large games installed, and the download times on my 2 meg connection takes days.

im hoping somebodie has a fix before i do the format reinstall

update, manually loaded firmware via odin, of the bat problem seems to have gone away, will let you know if it still persists.

musmas

Apr 1, 2013
Karachi
help

Now, my problem started when I updated my OS from jellybean to kitkat about 2-3 days ago (but my phone has a contract and was bought 13 Nov 2013). About a day after, I suddenly noticed some problems on my phone. Frequently, my Menu button, Home button, and back button will suddenly not work even when you press it. When this happens, the half portion of the screen is also not functioning to my touch. I can only make it work again if I press the LOCK screen or if I pull out the S pen. On the passcode pattern, only the two upper portions are working. Same method if I want to get it working again.

I tried to factory reset my phone and still the problem persists.

Does anyone of you had this problem during the update?

Hope anyone can shed light on this matter. Thanks.

My note 3 has a problem that I recently noticed on kitkat official.
When I use a pattern lock frequently after unlocking a blank screen shows up for a second or 2. Help its really annoying

Top Liked Posts