comixology and comic book apps

Search This thread

viniosity

Dec 28, 2009
I have comixology side-loaded on my Nook Tablet and have been happily purchasing some comics. I really like the interface and wanted to use it as my main reading app for other CBR and CBZ files I have. Does anyone know how to do this? I can't find an option for opening an external file in the app anywhere.

Else, is there a recommendation for another Comic Book viewer app? At the moment I'm using PerfectViewer which is really nice, but I miss the feature where I can go pane by pane like in comixology.

succulent

Dec 22, 2010
cbr and cbz are just container for image format like jpg or png. Comixology uses drm format. and with each file is a comic panel. They are stored in /sdcard/android/data/<appname>. There are no reader that I've seen that can read by panel with cbz or cbr.

moviecouple

Nov 15, 2010
Well, for android comic book cbr/cbz reading there are the following:

Droid Comic Viewer
Comica
Comic Reader Mobi
JJ Comic Viewer

Now, I am not sure what does and doesn't work with the Nook Tablet as I haven't opened mine yet. Christmas gift and all. But, all this work great on my old Galaxy Tab and they also work on the Kindle Fire. Think I like Comica the best.

Just a side note:

Grab yourself a Box account (50gb free storage) and put all your books in there and then when you want to read stuff, pull them form your Box account. That way your not bogging down your system. Great combination for reading on the run. Of course you still need some kind of wifi connection.

maxspr1

Nov 27, 2011
Columbus, OH
The nook tablet's stock reader reads cbz files, and it's pretty decent at it. It's super easy to open and rename cbr files to cbz too. The nook tab's ability to read cbz files right out of the box was one of the reasons i chose it over other makes. I've rooted mine, but i still the use the stock reader for most of my comics reading (DC & Marvel apps for the rest).

jeremystyle

Dec 31, 2011
New York City
perfect viewer

works great for me ... ive had some issues getting it to open .rar files even though it says it should but the interface is great and the bookshelf feature is pretty cool.

-UnitMonster-

Jun 5, 2009
I have had problems with the Nook displaying cover art, so I've actually been converting cbr's and cbz's to epub's. Since using epub's I don't need an additional reader.

Fuzzyluzzi

Jan 4, 2012
I also got the NT for the native CBZ reading. However, the lack of a directory for it and unable to continue reading like books made me look into apps.

I have been using ComicRack as my program of choice for reading, managing and syncing my comics. It can convert from CBR to CBZ or PDF. And the new android app for it works great on my rooted NT. Syncing is a breeze and it actually optimizes the comics to take up less space on your SD card.

maxspr1

Nov 27, 2011
Columbus, OH
I'll have to try ComicRack--sounds interesting!

As for a directory, I just created a folder on my SD card named "Comics." Inside this folder, I've organized my comic files into subfolders (using either comic titles or creators for folder names). The Nook Tablet (even before I rooted) had no issues reading from either the Comics folder or its subfolders. Also, I've had no problem getting the comics to show up in the "My Shelves" part of the Nook library (stock), complete with cover art showing.

Having said all this, and after singing the praises of the stock reader for comics, I just started using an app called Droid Comic Viewer from the Android Market. Comic pages are significantly clearer with this app--not sure why. I just set it up to navigate to my self-created "Comics" folder on the SD card and that has become the default directory for the app. I wish i could select the comics from the "My Shelves" part of the Nook library and have them open with Droid Comic Viewer. Anyone know how to do this? It's nothing absolutely necessary, but I like the My Shelves feature and how it displays the comic covers.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

I just realized my last post wasn't all that clear:
what I'd like to do is open the nook library, go to the "My shelves" part of the library, select a comic and have it open with the app of my choice as opposed to only with the stock nook reader. Is something like this even possible? Again, not anything crucial--just sounds cool.

zaptoons

Nov 26, 2011
Los Angeles
www.zaptoons.com
Another vote for ComicRack- definitely my favorite comic reader and organizer.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

I just realized my last post wasn't all that clear:
what I'd like to do is open the nook library, go to the "My shelves" part of the library, select a comic and have it open with the app of my choice as opposed to only with the stock nook reader. Is something like this even possible? Again, not anything crucial--just sounds cool.
It should be possible, depending on the comic reader app(s) installed.

For me- I get no choice from the library but to open comics with the stock reader. From the shelves view, if I long press on a comic there's a setting to 'clear the Default Launcher' which in this case I would assume to be the 'launcher' for the comic file, not the Nook. But it never changes anything and I never get a dialogue to 'complete action using' and a list of apps.

With .epub book files, I do get a choice, but it only lists the stock reader, or mantano reader free which I've installed- but no listing of Aldiko or Moon Reader which are also installed. If I check the box to choose a permanent default, then the only way I've found to clear it is with Appmenu.

So I'm thinking the library only recognizes a small number of apps as alternatives- maybe some of the other comic reader apps will show up as an alternative, but ComicRack definitely doesn't. It may be because the apps I'm using are all library/manger apps of their own, not just strictly readers.

At any rate- I've chosen to use ComicRack for comics because it has a great interface to organize comics and view the covers, and Aldiko reader for books for the same reason, and I don't bother with the stock library.

maxspr1

Nov 27, 2011
Columbus, OH
Nevermind--I'm a convert! ComicRack is perfect for me. It has better controls and options than Droid comic Viewer and it displays comics by their covers automatically--I prefer that to browsing folders in Droid Comic Viewer. Thanks to the people here for recommending ComicRack.

As for the shelves, I tried what you mentioned about clearing the default launcher, zaptoons, and same thing happened: no other apps to choose from. I like ComicRack's interface quite a bit, so now I don't care so much about this.

One question about Aldiko reader: will it display cover art for pdf files?

mhworley

Dec 31, 2011
Gotta say, comicrack is pretty sweet. Great suggestion!

Sent from my BNTV250 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts