Random turn-offs/reboots FRUSTRATION!

Search This thread

九千.

Sep 6, 2011
I have the same problem especially when watching the movie or downing torrents after the screen shutdown especially when the battery over 50%. when I want to switch on the screen, the tab will not response until long press on power button switch on with galaxy tab 7.7 screen. that means it was shut off !

I think what people previously experience is an old issue, but I do experience exactly the same problem as yours when I'm watching movie and accidentally pressing the power button twice (I was intending to press the volume button...their position are damn confusing). The screen flashed with color strips and then the device went off.

billy_overheat

My 7.7 p6800 has not exhibited any reboot. I am on KL1..but it has prompted me to update...
Please post

7.7 model wifi or 3g
Baseband Version
reboot yes or no

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

I think what people previously experience is an old issue, but I do experience exactly the same problem as yours when I'm watching movie and accidentally pressing the power button twice (I was intending to press the volume button...their position are damn confusing). The screen flashed with color strips and then the device went off.
I was using tweaked v3 and experienced lots shutdowns and colour strips. Not less than 10 times. Decided to wipe everything and start a fresh install. Well, everything goes well now. Couldn't check the error at all since it was a complete shut down. :(

九千.

Sep 6, 2011
I was using tweaked v3 and experienced lots shutdowns and colour strips. Not less than 10 times. Decided to wipe everything and start a fresh install. Well, everything goes well now. Couldn't check the error at all since it was a complete shut down. :(

Mine wasn't tweaked at all, just rooted. What is the apparent advantage you experienced with v3 btw?

billy_overheat

Before this, my adw restored quite a lot of time when I want to go back to the home screen. Now it isn't. I'm wondering whether the app has problem or what. Tw is usable now without bloated stuff. I would say a little smoother than stock.

But if you're ok author stock, just wait for ics to come.

shazoom

Feb 25, 2011
Bandar Seri Begawan
If your rooted, you could check for crashed apps in /data/tombstones. The files in their contain something like core dumps.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk 2

halabeno

Apr 15, 2012
for the last week, i'm turn off "power saving mode" and change the timeout of the screen to 10 minutes.
from that my tab will not shutdown again, like the problem maybe solved.

九千.

Sep 6, 2011
If your rooted, you could check for crashed apps in /data/tombstones. The files in their contain something like core dumps.

Thanks for the great tips! I just realized that the vnc server is more evil than mediaserver... :eek:
Code:
/data/tombstones # grep '>>>' *
tombstone_00:pid: 5386, tid: 5386  >>> /data/data/org.onaips.vnc/files/androidvncserver <<<
tombstone_01:pid: 9543, tid: 9645  >>> com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftSXHM <<<
tombstone_02:pid: 6524, tid: 6524  >>> com.android.browser <<<
tombstone_03:pid: 3893, tid: 3893  >>> /data/data/org.onaips.vnc/files/androidvncserver <<<
tombstone_04:pid: 2702, tid: 5988  >>> /system/bin/mediaserver <<<
tombstone_05:pid: 5208, tid: 5208  >>> /data/data/org.onaips.vnc/files/androidvncserver <<<
tombstone_06:pid: 26089, tid: 26089  >>> com.lookout <<<
tombstone_07:pid: 7227, tid: 7227  >>> /data/data/org.onaips.vnc/files/androidvncserver <<<
tombstone_08:pid: 8550, tid: 8550  >>> /data/data/org.onaips.vnc/files/androidvncserver <<<
tombstone_09:pid: 2705, tid: 2845  >>> /system/bin/mediaserver <<<

shazoom

Feb 25, 2011
Bandar Seri Begawan
Hope that helps. It didn't fix all reboots for me but did explain some instances when the whole interface shutdown or the tab became unresponsive for a long time.

orenxda

Dec 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Reporting it happened to me like 7 times in a month /phone use. Not much, but enough to look fwd to an ICS update.
My device revealed unresponsive mainly when home wifi network is lost going out. For unwanted reboots I noticed it doesnt auto reconnect and displays "?" in notifications to chose a wifi nw.
I don't use power saving mode. +lockscreen tends to set itself back to annoying 15s.
A couple of scary display wake-ups too.
Loving the device, but looks so much fragile than my old gtp1000 tank... hope samsung won't fool us again on device update.
gtab7.7 hc3.2 HTJ85B/XXLB4 lpro/wlocker
cheers

adamkx7xdesire

Jan 2, 2011
Hi guys!!
I've got for sure broken device... which has 3 days!!! till yesterday everything was perfect... but than after all night long charging WHEN TABLET WAS OFF now it reboots evert 15 sec... I cant understand wtf.... I haven't rooted it yet.. only installed few apps... gt-p6200 android 3.2 kernel 2.6.36-.....

Last edited:

九千.

Sep 6, 2011
Hi guys!!
I've got for sure broken device... which has 3 days!!! till yesterday everything was perfect... but than after all night long charging WHEN TABLET WAS OFF now it reboots evert 15 sec... I cant understand wtf.... I haven't rooted it yet.. only installed few apps... gt-p6200 android 3.2 kernel 2.6.36-.....

May be you could tell us about that few apps you have installed for our investigation.

adamkx7xdesire

Jan 2, 2011
Ok I've installed few games like angry birds gt racing minecraft many logic games and adobe bigger ones which I don't remember now.. Programs like Wolfram alpha boat browser sygnic navigation quick office and some more... One I think danger app is parental control by kaspersky... Which blocks some internet sites and apps which I didn't allow to use for man little sister (whose this tablet belongs to).... I will try to do factory reset.. And if that wouldn't help I will give it to service... Hehe that's funny that my 2 years old HTC desire has broken processor which make reboots when use hard or use with charging and it's still very good device... And this Samsung crap survived only 3 days... if that list of apps isn't enough I will make full tomorrow because now I'm out of home... Thanks anyway ;)

standarduser

Jun 10, 2009
I have the Verizon Galaxy Tab 7.7 LTE. I've had it for about 3 months now. I have the same software on it as I do on my Galaxy 8.9 (wifi).

It is NOT rooted.
It has the latest firmware.
Running the stock Honeycomb launcher.
Android 3.2

Let to itself, it will reboot on it's own several times a day, and even when I'm using it. Yesterday I was in the middle of playing tower defenece and it rebooted.

I have narrowed it down thus far. If the tablet is in airplane mode, it will not reboot on it's own. Ever.

If I leave it in airplane and turn on Wifi, then it will start rebooting. (it just rebooted while I'm typing this, as it sits untouched on my desk).

So I'm not saying that the Wifi is the cause, but perhaps there is a misbehaving application that it causing the issue.

Helpful?

Are there any kind of logs that I can look into to see what the last application to use the data connection was?

Reactions: rom1966

standarduser

Jun 10, 2009
Hi, thanks for the suggestion.

I do have a microSD card installed. However, I didn't think that was the problem, since it would run for days without rebooting, as long as the network connection(s) were turned off.

I still wanted to try your suggestion, so I removed the microSD card, and with the wireless enabled, the unit continues to reboot.

standarduser

Jun 10, 2009
I figured it out. It was an app called " open signal maps". I removed it and it has been working fine since!

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone else.

Sent from my SCH-I815 using Tapatalk

kevin612

Oct 15, 2008
Hi, all
Just got my tab a week ago.
Was fine with it but until today, I had a sim card inserted so that I can use the email app (wasn't able to use it since it doesnt have sim card in it.)
Since then I had a sim card put in, the tab restart when it goes to sleep. No matter I set to 30sec or 10mins
Even in airplane mode too.

Currently now, I remove the sim card and never auto restart now.
Will it be the sim card slot problem?
Cause I think I can exchange for a new one if there is a problem (said in the receipt)
Or should I try reload the firmware and check again with any apps.

Also anyone experience same problem like me?

Thanks
Kevin

Reactions: rom1966

rom1966

Aug 26, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7. constant rebooting

I figured it out. It was an app called " open signal maps". I removed it and it has been working fine since!

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone else.

Sent from my SCH-I815 using Tapatalk

I have the same tablet and same problem you're describing but don't have open signal maps on my device. We use these for work and have about 10 of them. 4 are exhibiting this problem while the other six seem to be working fine. I am curious what steps you used to determine that open maps was your problem. Most of the people using the tablet don't have any personally downloaded apps on the device. I have a slew of them and wanted to know if there was a way to find the culprit.

Most of the tablets are in the condition they came in from Verizon with two additional apps, Formotus and a Brother apk for printing to a blue printer. Like I indicated though, we have 6 tablets working fine. I believe it is related to either Wifi or 3g/4g. I have tried Airplane mode and don't seem to get the reboots. I get them with Wifi enabled and disabled.

We have 20 to 25 of these in other markets but our IT department is claiming that no one else is reporting an issue.

I am going into Verizon tomorrow for some help but not holding my breath... Was hoping to hunt down a solution here...

standarduser

Jun 10, 2009
Sadly, I have to report that removing Open Signal Maps, only eliminated 90% of the problem. At that point, I was getting a reboot at least every hour, if not more, when the 3G radio was turned on. The problem stopped once I removed that app. Now the problem has returned, but not as frequently. Maybe once or twice per day. I generally run it in Airplane mode w/ WiFi turned on. I found this extends the battery when I'm at home. So even in that config, with or without GPS enabled, I still get randomn reboots. Sometimes when I'm using it, and other times when it is sitting on the desk with the screen off. I'm guessing maybe 3 or 4 times per day.

Unfortunately, I have installed/removed a number of apps since the time of my previous post, so I can't say for sure what brought it back. My guess is that there is some kind of system call that is unhandled, and while Open Signal Maps was clearly hitting it, maybe now I have another app that is hitting that call.

Rom 1966, I am at a disadvantage since I only have the only Tab 7.7 to troubleshoot. I do have a Galaxy Tab 8.9 with most of the same programs, however that is obviously different since it lacks the cellular data components, along with having a different CPU. Maybe we can find a pattern of radio firmwares or something between the misbehaving tablets?

XDA people: Is there some kind of log or event list anywhere that I can tell what the last process was that ran before it was shutdown?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the Verizon Galaxy Tab 7.7 LTE. I've had it for about 3 months now. I have the same software on it as I do on my Galaxy 8.9 (wifi).

It is NOT rooted.
    It has the latest firmware.
    Running the stock Honeycomb launcher.
    Android 3.2

Let to itself, it will reboot on it's own several times a day, and even when I'm using it. Yesterday I was in the middle of playing tower defenece and it rebooted.

I have narrowed it down thus far. If the tablet is in airplane mode, it will not reboot on it's own. Ever.

If I leave it in airplane and turn on Wifi, then it will start rebooting. (it just rebooted while I'm typing this, as it sits untouched on my desk).

So I'm not saying that the Wifi is the cause, but perhaps there is a misbehaving application that it causing the issue.

Helpful?

Are there any kind of logs that I can look into to see what the last application to use the data connection was?
    Hi, all
    Just got my tab a week ago.
    Was fine with it but until today, I had a sim card inserted so that I can use the email app (wasn't able to use it since it doesnt have sim card in it.)
    Since then I had a sim card put in, the tab restart when it goes to sleep. No matter I set to 30sec or 10mins
    Even in airplane mode too.

Currently now, I remove the sim card and never auto restart now.
    Will it be the sim card slot problem?
    Cause I think I can exchange for a new one if there is a problem (said in the receipt)
    Or should I try reload the firmware and check again with any apps.

Also anyone experience same problem like me?

Thanks
    Kevin