[ROM][ICS] [UNOFFICIAL] Root-ready Huawei MediaPad/SpringBoard ICS International

Is this thread useful?

• YES

Votes: 28 96.6%
  • NO

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

rkwhyte2

Feb 17, 2006
Atlanta, IN
I look forward to your results. I have both the Springboard and a G2 and get the same results with both devices. As best as I can see the 4G that you see on the screen is just eye candy.

Sent from my HUAWEI MediaPad using xda premium

WingCero

Aug 4, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
So there are/is someone who wants to see the results between the stock T-Mobile 3.2 rom vs the International Mediapad 4.0 rom.

Only problem is I'm leaning towards jumping on at&t's service due to their data plans being a MUCH better deal than what T-Mobile is offers.

I look forward to your results. I have both the Springboard and a G2 and get the same results with both devices. As best as I can see the 4G that you see on the screen is just eye candy.

Raichean

May 17, 2008
Can someone take ten to twenty minutes out of their time to take a video tour of this rom running on the T-Mobile Springboard? I'm planning on purchasing this device tomorrow and would like to see if I should just go straight in to the installation process with this rom before I get too acquainted with Honeycomb on it. There's a $5 BestBuy code in it for whomever does it :)

So not going for a code or anything, plus I don't have a video. *laugh* But I took the stock Springboard and upgraded to the ICS international build. It went flawlessly and the improvements are really solid. Graphically, lots of little refinements here and there, and to the eye, performance seems better. It also strips off the TMO bloatware which is nice.

Absolutely a positive change, and I did it quite nervously considering this is my first droid device, tablet and first upgrade.

notinterested

Feb 11, 2010
So there are/is someone who wants to see the results between the stock T-Mobile 3.2 rom vs the International Mediapad 4.0 rom.

Only problem is I'm leaning towards jumping on at&t's service due to their data plans being a MUCH better deal than what T-Mobile is offers.

How is it a much better deal??

Tmobile is 2GB for $30 if you already have a plan you get throttled after 2GB

ATT is 3GB for $30 and you get charged if you go over.

Thats not really a huge difference and tmobile is better if you want 5GB.

ATT $50 for 5GB vs Tmobile $40 for 5GB if you already have a line.

The big difference being that if you go over you pay more through ATT.

Combined with the fact that ATTs tablets are not as nice and cost more in the long run T-mobile is the better option for tablets. IMO the only tablet they have worth getting is the galaxy tab and that will cost you quadruple what the springboard costs. Hell you can even get the Gtab 10.1 for less than ATT wants for the 8.9. The cheapest tablet is the element for $299 at ATT and IMO you would have to be insane to pay a dime more than $150 for it considering the competitions pricing.

Considering the Springboard is $99 right now you need to look at the bigger picture, Tmobile blows ATT out of the water in overall value for tablets.

yaddamean

May 1, 2010
How is it a much better deal??

Tmobile is 2GB for $30 if you already have a plan you get throttled after 2GB

ATT is 3GB for $30 and you get charged if you go over.

Thats not really a huge difference and tmobile is better if you want 5GB.

ATT $50 for 5GB vs Tmobile $40 for 5GB if you already have a line.

The big difference being that if you go over you pay more through ATT.

Combined with the fact that ATTs tablets are not as nice and cost more in the long run T-mobile is the better option for tablets. IMO the only tablet they have worth getting is the galaxy tab and that will cost you quadruple what the springboard costs. Hell you can even get the Gtab 10.1 for less than ATT wants for the 8.9. The cheapest tablet is the element for $299 at ATT and IMO you would have to be insane to pay a dime more than $150 for it considering the competitions pricing.

Considering the Springboard is $99 right now you need to look at the bigger picture, Tmobile blows ATT out of the water in overall value for tablets.

I just checked tmobile.. its $249 after MIR. Thats ripoff!! But I want this tab.. im seeing prices around $400 on eBay. Really close to buying one and ill rather pay $400+ upfront than get stuck paying 299 + 30 a month for 2 years. That's over $1000, no thanks.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA Premium App

luvduchovny

Mar 29, 2011
I just checked tmobile.. its $249 after MIR. Thats ripoff!! But I want this tab.. im seeing prices around $400 on eBay. Really close to buying one and ill rather pay $400+ upfront than get stuck paying 299 + 30 a month for 2 years. That's over $1000, no thanks.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA Premium App

The Springboard was at $99 for a long time (much of March into April). Guess you missed the sale, but if you are patient it will probably reappear again.

r34p3rex

Sep 20, 2008

Cadeo

Nov 8, 2008
I'm thinking of putting my sprinboard on ebay its already running ics I need to sell it for 250
Let me know and I'll throw it up there for u.

r34p3rex

Sep 20, 2008
Are you able to make calls and get cell data with this plan? To date, I have not found a tmobile plan that will actually allow both. Only option is to have a sim for data and a different sim for calls.

Nope.. then again the T-Mobile Springboard doesn't have text/phone anyway :p

v35lee

Mar 29, 2010
Nope.. then again the T-Mobile Springboard doesn't have text/phone anyway :p

True. However, if you install the Huawei Mediapad ICS ROM to a T-mobile Springboard then you will in fact have the hardware capability for text and phone. Just no T-mobile plan that supports it along with data at the same time.

rkwhyte2

Feb 17, 2006
Atlanta, IN
True. However, if you install the Huawei Mediapad ICS ROM to a T-mobile Springboard then you will in fact have the hardware capability for text and phone. Just no T-mobile plan that supports it along with data at the same time.

You still need to block the IMEA for voice/text to work. TMo blocks voice/text by the IMEA. Somewhere in the threads this is talked about just don't know where. I think it is in the main thread with a little over 100 posts.

v35lee

Mar 29, 2010
You still need to block the IMEA for voice/text to work. TMo blocks voice/text by the IMEA. Somewhere in the threads this is talked about just don't know where. I think it is in the main thread with a little over 100 posts.
Thanks - I am probably in those posts. I have been round and round and round again with the pink T phone company on this.

I was able to do talk/text without blocking IMEI (which I think is illegal?) by changing plans. But a plan that lets you do talk/text on the thing won't allow data. Of course if you have a data only plan there is no voice. T-mobile was supposedly working on a new plan to allow all on this type of device, but haven't seen it yet.

I can get talk/text/data on t-mobile with the ICS Mediapad, but have to have 2 SIM cards on 2 different plans to do it.

Another 2 weeks and I will get my SIM unlock code and then move to AT&T.

luvduchovny

Mar 29, 2011
Odd. I didn't remove it but still had to specifically boot it to recovery. Was a pain and it boot regularly to the stock ROM several times.

I also had trouble getting it to do anything. I kept getting the working droid with FAIL! I looked to see if the cfg file was in the dload folder. It was but there was also the ds_store file that usually exist when there are mac files present. Once I deleted the ds_store file out of the dload folder my system sucked up the update with no trouble.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

And now a goofy question:

I've gotten ICS 4.0.3 updated to my Springboard. I like the fact that I can now send and receive text messages without the goofiness of having to use Google Voice to do my bidding. However, I have a notification about voicemail (which I can't use because my tablet is technically not a phone). I can't get rid of that notification. I mean I guess I can ignore it but it just bugs me that it is sitting there. Any ideas how I can get that to disappear?

Oh and I love that I no longer have to hear the T-Mobile chime every time I turn on the device.

I also had trouble getting it to do anything. I kept getting the working droid with FAIL! I looked to see if the cfg file was in the dload folder. It was but there was also the ds_store file that usually exist when there are mac files present. Once I deleted the ds_store file out of the dload folder my system sucked up the update with no trouble.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

And now a goofy question:

I've gotten ICS 4.0.3 updated to my Springboard. I like the fact that I can now send and receive text messages without the goofiness of having to use Google Voice to do my bidding. However, I have a notification about voicemail (which I can't use because my tablet is technically not a phone). I can't get rid of that notification. I mean I guess I can ignore it but it just bugs me that it is sitting there. Any ideas how I can get that to disappear?

Oh and I love that I no longer have to hear the T-Mobile chime every time I turn on the device.

Hey Man! I've seen you on the TMO support site...Holla'!
Anyways..I've manage to get rid of the VM icon on the tab by freezing it in TB. HOWEVER it comes back on reboot. Killing it completely kills data. Someone is going to figure this out soon enuff.

Much love to those who brought ICS to us, cause I was feeling the same way you did when after my purchase, I dug into this Tablet and found no text messaging and a losey Honeycomb interface.
Now my girls are loving it over the IPAD they have.:cool:

luvduchovny

Mar 29, 2011
Hey Man! I've seen you on the TMO support site...Holla'!
Anyways..I've manage to get rid of the VM icon on the tab by freezing it in TB. HOWEVER it comes back on reboot. Killing it completely kills data. Someone is going to figure this out soon enuff.

Much love to those who brought ICS to us, cause I was feeling the same way you did when after my purchase, I dug into this Tablet and found no text messaging and a losey Honeycomb interface.

Now my girls are loving it over the IPAD they have.:cool:

Hey Havoktek,

You're just Havok on TMO support right? The name seems real familiar. I really debated on rooting so early in the process. But these are Huawei updates so I didn't see any reason to wait.

It's funny because I have a Viewsonic G-Tablet I got from Woot a year or so ago and when I put a honeycomb rom on it and it was great (Flash was iffy, but overall it was very nice). But it's weird how limiting Honeycomb seems on the Springboard. Seriously TMobile, why make texting part of my data plan yet give me no way to actually USE it?

I'll hold up on messing with the voicemail notification. Especially if it is some that will still pop up even after removing it. I'm sure the developers around here will find a way. But for now I'll enjoy my tablet as it is. :)

Hey Havoktek,

You're just Havok on TMO support right? The name seems real familiar. I really debated on rooting so early in the process. But these are Huawei updates so I didn't see any reason to wait.

It's funny because I have a Viewsonic G-Tablet I got from Woot a year or so ago and when I put a honeycomb rom on it and it was great (Flash was iffy, but overall it was very nice). But it's weird how limiting Honeycomb seems on the Springboard. Seriously TMobile, why make texting part of my data plan yet give me no way to actually USE it?

I'll hold up on messing with the voicemail notification. Especially if it is some that will still pop up even after removing it. I'm sure the developers around here will find a way. But for now I'll enjoy my tablet as it is. :)

Yup that's me, I try to contribute there but there forum layout is lousy!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All credits goes to zombolo and Xanderful
    I'm posting this thread to make it easy to find the ROM for newbees...

Please read ALL Informations carefully, before using this rom !

Disclaimer - This procedure is given here in a "as-is" format. I have personally verified it and have it running, but, the ultimate responsibility of performing this lies on you. I will not be responsible for dead / bricked devices or any such similar unfortunate situations.

1. Download the ROM from the link.
    2. Extract the DLOAD folder from the zip.
    3. Copy the DLOAD folder to the root of your Micro SD card. You can use a card reader or copy using the mediapad itself using MTP over USB cable.
    4. Power OFF the mediapad.
    5. Insert the Micro SD card to the mediapad and Power ON.
    6. ROM Upgrade will start automatically. Follow the onscreen directions. Remove the MicroSD when instructed.
    7. The device will reboot automatically. Meanwhile delete the DLOAD folder in the MicroSD.
    8. Once fully booted copy sanixupdate folder from the downloaded ZIP to root of the INTERNAL STORAGE using the USB cable.
    9. Power OFF and Reboot.
    10. Now you have a ROOTED mediapad with ICS

NOTE
      • By using this ROM you voide the warranty... But you can very easily go back to STOCK rom before claiming for warranty.
      • You loose 4G if you are using a T-mobile Springboard
      • Remember to delete the DLOAD folder from SD card after it is removed from the device as instructed on the device screen. Keeping the DLOAD folder on SD makes it re-flash everytime you POWER ON with the SD inserted.

DOWNLOAD

Root-ready international version: http://depositfiles.com/files/9f8mfimjz
    So, who's been brave enough to try it? My mediapad is 24hrs old and I don't fancy my chances lol!

Can you still call and text with the ROM, and has anyone got any screenshots or benchmarks to show?

Cheers. :)

Works much much better than stock HC thats for sure. With the exception of the lack of 4g (which i honestly barely notice) and some oddities with touchscreen sensitivity its been perfect.