[Q] S4 stuck on 4.3 / Deleted touchwiz home how can I get it back

Search This thread

androidisbest

Apr 22, 2012
Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 i337M AT&T using it in Canada.

Right now its currently on 4.3 Jellybean but I cannot update it to the latest software as
when I click update it says something similar to "This version of Android has been modified and cannot update"
I know the reason why though, My S4 is software unlocked and I used this method http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2291589 Called "Enable AWS on Samsung Galaxy IV AT&T i337 & Canadian i337M"

That unlocking method can only work on 4.3 but I've read some comments saying they have got it to work on the latest software.
I'm not sure how I would do it and I don't want to risk bricking my phone or anything like that.

Some of the new Galaxy S5 Apps that can work on my S4 cant because its still on 4.3 and the new apps work on latest software only.

If anyone knows how I can update and still have my unlocking without any problems please let me know.

Also : I tried putting the S5 Launcher and deleted my old S4 launcher and now the S5 launcher didn't work because it doesn't work on old 4.3 so now I'm using Nova Launcher but when I rebooted it said "Android is upgrading" and then said "reinstalling boot" and it showed that I have S4 Launcher back but when I clicked on it, it says "Unfortunately, Touchwiz Home has stopped" If anyone could give me a solution to fix this would be great.

Thanks

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
You're asking a few different things and I'm only going to address updating your firmware. First, once you're sim unlocked it should remain so to upgrade your firmware I'd head over to sammobile.com and download the 4.4.2 package for your phone(sgh-i337m) Then I'd flash that in Odin

Sent from my Nexus 5

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Yes, I went into root explorer and found the Touchwiz.apk or whatever and deleted it and tried to replace it with the S5 launcher but that didn't work.

You'll either have to find a touchwiz.apk and reinstall it or flash the firmware in Odin.

Edit, read the third to last post in this thread where I've given instructions to flash your firmware. But from sammobile.com get the nc1 firmware for your device, sgh-i337m http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51676880

Sent from my Nexus 5

Last edited: