[GUIDE] Noob's Guide #6: I just HTC Unlocked, what now?

Search This thread

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
First thing you need to know is that no matter what happens, even if your phone is abducted by rabid kittens, I am not responsible for your actions. Second is that you just voided your warranty, no doubt about it. HTC has your serial number with record that you unlocked your bootloader. Thanks to JAS_21 for the idea for making this guide. So, the next things you are going to want to do are to flash clockworkmod recovery, and then su. Then you can flash a ROM. Let's start with clockworkmod.

You want to get the android-sdk working, which you can find a guide to here.. Then you want to go to this thread. Download the file attached to the post. Use winzip if you have windows or just click on it on mac to unzip the file. Plug your phone into your computer and select "charge only" mode. Copy the cwm img file to the tools folder of the android SDK. Now, it's time to open up ADB. Open up a command prompt on windows or a terminal window on Mac/Linux. Follow these commands.

Code:
cd [insert location of android-sdk here]/platform-tools
adb reboot bootloader

You should now see Fastboot USB on your phone. Open a new command or terminal window. Type the following:

Code:
cd [insert location of android-sdk here]/tools
fastboot flash recovery cwm-recovery-vivow.img
fastboot reboot

Congrats, you have now flashed clockworkmod recovery. Now, onto installing root access. Next, grab the su zip attached to the OP of this thread. Plug your phone into your computer and select "disk drive" mode. Copy the su zip file to the root of your sd card. Unmount your sd card and select "charge only" mode on your computer. Reboot into recovery. The easiest way is probably to open up a command window and type:

Code:
adb reboot recovery

When your phone is in recovery, click "install zip from sd card," then "choose zip from sd card," then the su zip file. Hit the back button once. Then select reboot system now. When your phone reboots, download superuser from the market. Now you are ready to use root apps! If you want to flash a ROM, continue on.

Download the ROM of your choice. If you want to, use my guide for choosing a ROM found here. Download the ROM zip file. Plug your phone into your computer and select "disk drive" mode. Copy the rom zip file to the root of your sd card. Don't unmount your sd card yet.Next, make a copy and put it on your desktop. Use winzip on windows or just click on mac/linux to unzip the rom file. In the root of the ROM, you should see a boot.img file. Copy that to your tools folder of your android-sdk folder. Now, unmount your sd card and select "charge only" mode on your computer. Next, follow the following steps.

Before installing the ROM...

1. Download Titanium Backup from the market, allow superuser permissions, then click menu>batch>backup all user apps.
2. Make sure fastboot is off in settings>power.
3. Put the ROM zip on the root of your SD Card
4. Download SMS Backup and Restore, and backup your SMS.
5. Back up your contacts by checking "back up my data" or something like that under settings/privacy.

How to install the ROM...
1. Turn off phone, and hold power and volume down until you get a white screen that says Hboot.
2.Volume down/up is for scrolling; power is for selecting.
3. Scroll down and select RECOVERY.
4. Scroll down and selected BACKUP AND RESTORE.
5. Select BACKUP and wait for it to finish.
6. Hit the back button to go back to the main menu.
7. Scroll down and select WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET.
8. Scroll down and select WIPE CACHE PARTITION.
9.Hit the back button to go back to the main menu.
10. Scroll down and select ADVANCED, then WIPE DALVIK CACHE.
11. Hit the back button to go back to the main menu.
12. Scroll down and select INSTALL ZIP FROM SD CARD, then CHOOSE ZIP FROM SD CARD, then whatever the ROM zip is.
13. Let it do its thing. This may take 5-10 minutes. DON'T PULL THE BATTERY.

Next, it is time to flash your boot image. Follow these commands.

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

You should now see Fastboot USB on your phone. Open a new command or terminal window. Type the following:

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot

You are done with flashing the ROM now, congrats. To get your data back, follow the steps!

1. Run the initial setup. When you're setting up your google account, make sure the "keep data backed up" or whatever box is checked. This will make sure to restore your/keep your contacts backed up.
2. Redownload Titanium Backup. Hit menu/batch/restore missing apps with data.
3. Redownload SMS B+R. Restore your SMS.
4. Enjoy your new ROM!

I hope this guide clears things up for some people. If you have ideas or suggestions for this guide or others, feel free to comment. If I helped you, please hit the thanks button. I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:

reaper540

Sep 26, 2011
Stephens City
i keep getting an error when trying to flash the recovery. when i type in fastboot flash recovery cwm-recovery-vivow.img it comes up saying cannot load cwm-recovery-vivow.img

also im s-on with hboot .98. could that be the problem?

Last edited:

blaqbird

Feb 3, 2011
Florida
i keep getting an error when trying to flash the recovery. when i type in fastboot flash recovery cwm-recovery-vivow.img it comes up saying cannot load cwm-recovery-vivow.img

Had the same issue but solved after looking over the instructions for doing this if you were downgrading. Instead of placing the image file on the root of your sd card, place it in the folder that contains fastboot in your android sdk. Do that and you will be able to flash it and continue with the instructions.

Reactions: Amphibliam

reaper540

Sep 26, 2011
Stephens City
Yeh I thought that might have been the problem. But I ended up relocking the bootloader, downgraded using attn1s tool and after that it was all smooth sailing. Running mikrunny v1.01. But this is an excellent guide

Sent from my ADR6350 using XDA App

shadrock7777

Jan 19, 2012
no boot.img?

When I try to flash the boot.img at the last step, it says error: Cannot load 'boot.img'. I tried to start the phone and it sticks as the htc splash screen ... any ideas?

enserio

Oct 26, 2010
California
just wondering...am i going to have to flash the su zip everytime i flash a new rom? Just flashed miui and when I superuser was not on the list of apps. I downloaded it, but have this feeling its not going to work until a flash su.zip

natemup

Jun 22, 2010
San Francisco
natemup.blogspot.com
I was having trouble getting my ADB to function correctly, so I went with the manual "update.zip" method to flash Clockwork. However, when HBOOT recognizes the PG32IMG.zip file, it just says its "Checking.." forever, and I don't know whether it's working or frozen up. How long is that part supposed to take? I'm so close!

enserio

Oct 26, 2010
California
frick frack and frick. Now my phone isn't recognized by my computer. Had zero issues with this before. I'm running the latest version of miui and cant get the phone recognized.

Zeeryan

Dec 15, 2010
Noob question. Is it still possible to flash kernels on HTC sec unlock? Will the boot.img flash need to be done each time from now on? Great guide by the way.

Sent from my ADR6350 using XDA App

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
Every time you want to flash a Rom or kernel you need to flash the boot.img.

Sent from my ADR6350 using xda premium

Reactions: enserio

ph1nn

May 5, 2011
NYC
Everytime I reboot the phone it gets stuck on the HTC logo. I have to rerun "flashboot boot boot.img" to get it to boot.

Please help.

ph1nn

May 5, 2011
NYC
It's unlocked via HTC's unlock tool.

Should i relock the phone, forget this guide, and use attn1's guide?

I already installed ClockworkMod 5.5 and CM7.2 nightlies, everything works unless i have to reboot then it loses the boot image. Any thoughts?

-----

edit: It was because of S-ON. I relocked my phone and used attn1's guide to bring the phone back to hboot 0.97 and then s-off. This guide is not useful it seems if you want to go AOSP.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First thing you need to know is that no matter what happens, even if your phone is abducted by rabid kittens, I am not responsible for your actions. Second is that you just voided your warranty, no doubt about it. HTC has your serial number with record that you unlocked your bootloader. Thanks to JAS_21 for the idea for making this guide. So, the next things you are going to want to do are to flash clockworkmod recovery, and then su. Then you can flash a ROM. Let's start with clockworkmod.

You want to get the android-sdk working, which you can find a guide to here.. Then you want to go to this thread. Download the file attached to the post. Use winzip if you have windows or just click on it on mac to unzip the file. Plug your phone into your computer and select "charge only" mode. Copy the cwm img file to the tools folder of the android SDK. Now, it's time to open up ADB. Open up a command prompt on windows or a terminal window on Mac/Linux. Follow these commands.

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery cwm-recovery-vivow.img
    fastboot reboot

Congrats, you have now flashed clockworkmod recovery. Now, onto installing root access. Next, grab the su zip attached to the OP of this thread. Plug your phone into your computer and select "disk drive" mode. Copy the su zip file to the root of your sd card. Unmount your sd card and select "charge only" mode on your computer. Reboot into recovery. The easiest way is probably to open up a command window and type:

Code:
    adb reboot recovery

When your phone is in recovery, click "install zip from sd card," then "choose zip from sd card," then the su zip file. Hit the back button once. Then select reboot system now. When your phone reboots, download superuser from the market. Now you are ready to use root apps! If you want to flash a ROM, continue on.

Download the ROM of your choice. If you want to, use my guide for choosing a ROM found here. Download the ROM zip file. Plug your phone into your computer and select "disk drive" mode. Copy the rom zip file to the root of your sd card. Don't unmount your sd card yet.Next, make a copy and put it on your desktop. Use winzip on windows or just click on mac/linux to unzip the rom file. In the root of the ROM, you should see a boot.img file. Copy that to your tools folder of your android-sdk folder. Now, unmount your sd card and select "charge only" mode on your computer. Next, follow the following steps.

Before installing the ROM...

1. Download Titanium Backup from the market, allow superuser permissions, then click menu>batch>backup all user apps.
    2. Make sure fastboot is off in settings>power.
    3. Put the ROM zip on the root of your SD Card
    4. Download SMS Backup and Restore, and backup your SMS.
    5. Back up your contacts by checking "back up my data" or something like that under settings/privacy.

How to install the ROM...
    1. Turn off phone, and hold power and volume down until you get a white screen that says Hboot.
    2.Volume down/up is for scrolling; power is for selecting.
    3. Scroll down and select RECOVERY.
    4. Scroll down and selected BACKUP AND RESTORE.
    5. Select BACKUP and wait for it to finish.
    6. Hit the back button to go back to the main menu.
    7. Scroll down and select WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET.
    8. Scroll down and select WIPE CACHE PARTITION.
    9.Hit the back button to go back to the main menu.
    10. Scroll down and select ADVANCED, then WIPE DALVIK CACHE.
    11. Hit the back button to go back to the main menu.
    12. Scroll down and select INSTALL ZIP FROM SD CARD, then CHOOSE ZIP FROM SD CARD, then whatever the ROM zip is.
    13. Let it do its thing. This may take 5-10 minutes. DON'T PULL THE BATTERY.

Next, it is time to flash your boot image. Follow these commands.

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Code:
    fastboot reboot

You are done with flashing the ROM now, congrats. To get your data back, follow the steps!

1. Run the initial setup. When you're setting up your google account, make sure the "keep data backed up" or whatever box is checked. This will make sure to restore your/keep your contacts backed up.
    2. Redownload Titanium Backup. Hit menu/batch/restore missing apps with data.
    3. Redownload SMS B+R. Restore your SMS.
    4. Enjoy your new ROM!

I hope this guide clears things up for some people. If you have ideas or suggestions for this guide or others, feel free to comment. If I helped you, please hit the thanks button. I would really appreciate it!

Had the same issue but solved after looking over the instructions for doing this if you were downgrading. Instead of placing the image file on the root of your sd card, place it in the folder that contains fastboot in your android sdk. Do that and you will be able to flash it and continue with the instructions.
    Oh wow. You guys are right. That's a typo. I'll fix that.

Every time you want to flash a Rom or kernel you need to flash the boot.img.

how do i do that manually?

I did:

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot reboot