[Q] Newbie wanting to "root" / Mod.

Search This thread

peakcomp

Jul 22, 2013
WA State
Hey all! I am a newbie, but am technically inclined.

Both my bf and I have the HTC Rezound with the latest OEM firmware. We are sick of Sense, the battery life is horrible amongst other complaints.

We would like to move to an aftermarket firmware but I have noticed that most if not all of them have issues. The camera, the camcorder, the MMS, the WiFi...I don't want to drop my OEM firmware for something that doesn't fully work.

We also have the Nexus 7 (2012) Wifi tablets which we LOVE. It's pure KitKat 4.4! If only we could have stock Android on our phones.

Anyhow...I don't even know where to start with our phones and then of course, which software to install that is fully functional?

Thanks for the help ya'll!

K:confused:

kcipopnevets

Oct 6, 2013
Brooklyn
Hey all! I am a newbie, but am technically inclined.

Both my bf and I have the HTC Rezound with the latest OEM firmware. We are sick of Sense, the battery life is horrible amongst other complaints.

We would like to move to an aftermarket firmware but I have noticed that most if not all of them have issues. The camera, the camcorder, the MMS, the WiFi...I don't want to drop my OEM firmware for something that doesn't fully work.

We also have the Nexus 7 (2012) Wifi tablets which we LOVE. It's pure KitKat 4.4! If only we could have stock Android on our phones.

Anyhow...I don't even know where to start with our phones and then of course, which software to install that is fully functional?

Thanks for the help ya'll!

K:confused:

I can recommend some ROMs that are both faster than stock and totally stable. :) So you want to unlock your bootloader and all?

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
How far are you into the rooting method? Have you done anything to start yet. By the way, welcome to the wonderful Rezound community!!!! :D:D

Sent from my Rezound using xda-developers app. CyanogenMod 11. S-off

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Thanks! :)

I don't know where to start. I haven't began anything except researching.

K

Okay, first begin with unlocking the bootloader via HTC dev. Here's the website, you need to set up and use a legit email you can get into to. It will send you a unlock token once you get done with the steps. : http://http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
This will erase everything on the phone, but this will allow you to continue, you are on the newest radio's and updates correct?

peakcomp

Jul 22, 2013
WA State
I am on the latest update. Not sure about radios though. I assume they all come with the update from the carrier/OEM.

Why does unlocking the boot loader delete all on the phone?

Should I back up and remove my SD card before doing this?

K

Okay, first begin with unlocking the bootloader via HTC dev. Here's the website, you need to set up and use a legit email you can get into to. It will send you a unlock token once you get done with the steps. : http://http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
This will erase everything on the phone, but this will allow you to continue, you are on the newest radio's and updates correct?

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
I am on the latest update. Not sure about radios though. I assume they all come with the update from the carrier/OEM.

Why does unlocking the boot loader delete all on the phone?

Should I back up and remove my SD card before doing this?

K

Yes that means you're on the newest radio's. Not really sure why it deletes everything :confused: but it just does, and yes, back everything up, back your contacts up via google :$ back up SD card, shouldn't delete it, or it didn't mine, but just back everything up before beginning. Okay? :)

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Also you need adb and fastboot set up, heres a little tool I used for the windows partition of my mac: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979
Then I never really had to use device drivers, so I'm somewhat unsure of that :confused: Search up HTC rezound drivers into google and see if you can find something :confused: I just use my mac because it doesn't need drivers and it's easy for stuff like that.... windows 7 is the way to go though, or is pretty much the only way to go....

peakcomp

Jul 22, 2013
WA State
Okay...what is adb and fastboot and what are they used for?

Also, before I begin any of this process..what is the rom that you are recommending to install and why?

Thanks in advance,

K

Also you need adb and fastboot set up, heres a little tool I used for the windows partition of my mac: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979
Then I never really had to use device drivers, so I'm somewhat unsure of that :confused: Search up HTC rezound drivers into google and see if you can find something :confused: I just use my mac because it doesn't need drivers and it's easy for stuff like that.... windows 7 is the way to go though, or is pretty much the only way to go....

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Okay...what is adb and fastboot and what are they used for?

Also, before I begin any of this process..what is the rom that you are recommending to install and why?

Thanks in advance,

K

ADB and Fastboot are used in pushing things to the device. Like after the bootloader is unlocked and you want to install a custom recovery, (custom recovery is where you erase and install ROM's. I am using Cyanogenmod 11. Actually I go between 4 different ROMs... Liquid smooth is a good ROM, I love Cyanogenmod 11. It's 4.4.2 its smooth, fast, camera works, I've heard video camera is a little wonky. I don't use the video camera. Everolv is a great ROM, snuzzo's plain andy I've heard is a great ROM. But I love Cyanogenmo, I love 4.4.2 but the choice of ROM's is up to the user. But I would suggest, everolv, Cyanogenmod, or Plain andy. Me I love my cyanogenmod. Very stable. Very smooth, Lots of options.

peakcomp

Jul 22, 2013
WA State
CM would be my choice! 4.4 huh? Why do all the builds seem to have troubles with the camera or video camera?

What else doesn't work on CM ?

K

ADB and Fastboot are used in pushing things to the device. Like after the bootloader is unlocked and you want to install a custom recovery, (custom recovery is where you erase and install ROM's. I am using Cyanogenmod 11. Actually I go between 4 different ROMs... Liquid smooth is a good ROM, I love Cyanogenmod 11. It's 4.4.2 its smooth, fast, camera works, I've heard video camera is a little wonky. I don't use the video camera. Everolv is a great ROM, snuzzo's plain andy I've heard is a great ROM. But I love Cyanogenmo, I love 4.4.2 but the choice of ROM's is up to the user. But I would suggest, everolv, Cyanogenmod, or Plain andy. Me I love my cyanogenmod. Very stable. Very smooth, Lots of options.

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Yes CyanogenMod 11 is kitkat 4.4.2 well WiFi works, 4Glte works, when in 3G though the phone goes to roaming. :/ but WiFi tethering works. Confirmed camera works in that screenshot. Home screen is there, very smooth scrolling. But have you taken a go at unlocking yet?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394325553896.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394325553896.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 39
  • uploadfromtaptalk1394325641384.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394325641384.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 38

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Also the Rezound is a PAIN to work with..... Kernels are o_O very hard to work with.... From the words of snuzzo. "You don't even know....."

peakcomp

Jul 22, 2013
WA State
So, there is problems with 3g too? Not sounding too promising at this point.

I haven't done anything yet because I want to make an informed decision before wiping my device. When I hear something doesn't work I ask my self why would I go from a fully functional OEM ROM to something that is not fully functional?

K

Yes CyanogenMod 11 is kitkat 4.4.2 well WiFi works, 4Glte works, when in 3G though the phone goes to roaming. :/ but WiFi tethering works. Confirmed camera works in that screenshot. Home screen is there, very smooth scrolling. But have you taken a go at unlocking yet?

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
That's the only thing I have problems with on this ROM... Its very stable.... As are most other ROMs. If you don't like CM, everolv is a great ROM. I've talked go some people. They've said its a great ROM... Kind of a personal choice... From going from a fully functional stock, well, increased battery life (I've found) new features. Cool features. Etc)

peakcomp

Jul 22, 2013
WA State
Hmm...thanks for all your input. At this point, I think I am going to just deal with my OEM ROM. This just sounds too involved for me.

K

That's the only thing I have problems with on this ROM... Its very stable.... As are most other ROMs. If you don't like CM, everolv is a great ROM. I've talked go some people. They've said its a great ROM... Kind of a personal choice... From going from a fully functional stock, well, increased battery life (I've found) new features. Cool features. Etc)

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Okay... Well if you ever have a question or want to root/install a custom ROM.... Just pm me.. Or some others will be willing to help....

Reactions: kcipopnevets

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay... Well if you ever have a question or want to root/install a custom ROM.... Just pm me.. Or some others will be willing to help....

So, there is problems with 3g too? Not sounding too promising at this point.

I haven't done anything yet because I want to make an informed decision before wiping my device. When I hear something doesn't work I ask my self why would I go from a fully functional OEM ROM to something that is not fully functional?

K

You may want to stay away from CM11. The 3G problem isn't necessarily a problem, just the indicator shows roaming. I give high regards to Evervolv for a daily driver. As far as the camera/camcorder goes, the kernel had to be heavily modified to even get it working. My rom and Evervolv I think are the only 2 roms with fully functional camcorder and gallery.

The easiest way to root; unlock, flash a custom recovery with fastboot (fastboot flash recovery "filename".img"), Choose a rom(GAPPS also if AOSP). Flash those. Then when done, since at this point the phone will still be s-on, flash the matching boot.img from the rom zip, fastboot flash boot boot.img. Once you do all of this once in future it will become second nature.

There is further modifications that can be done, like s-off or fastboot booting a recovery while s-on so it will flash matching boot during rom flash or even using flashify with a rom that has root to flash a boot.img and/or recovery.img.
    @tholmes8291

I'm against s-off unless it will be flashaholics device.

Hey OP,

I would really give rooting a go... I was in your shoes 3 days ago until good old pball helped me out. It really is insanely easy, and just work with S-on; it just requires a few extra steps during the root process and makes it less probable for a bricked device, from what I've read.

I have a thread in this same forum called "root noob questions". Pball gives an entire step-by-step guide on the process and it worked 100% (just make sure to read the entire thread, there's one step missed that we discussed).

I flashed Everevolv and wow, it is so much quicker and better functional than my original ROM. However, I am finding that Everevolv is not quite as stable as my stock ROM. Now that being said, it doesn't take my phone 10 minutes just to reboot, and music I add to my card actually shows up without rebooting for 10 minutes, weird sync **** is not happening all the time, there's no bloatware, google maps actually remembers my home & work address, things are much quicker. Battery life I am unsure about at the moment, but that is probably because I can't stop toying with it. I'm going to flash another ROM tonight and see how it compares.

Another thing I've learned from this whole process is that even though we all have a Rezound, performance varies greatly person to person. So obviously it will take some time testing new ROMs, (maybe your first will be fine for you) but I don't see my Rezound really lasting much longer without flashing it. I mean it's on 4.0.3 with no updates happening any more. That is insanely outdated in Android land. One other thing, you could always try 4.2 or 5.3 version of ROMs; I've read Kit Kat may not be the most stable since it's newer.