[Q] OTA Update got me stuck in semi-bootloop...

Search This thread

pintyguy

Aug 28, 2014
I have the Razr HD running stock 4.1.2, rooted, today i started getting the OTA update install requests, well i accidentally hit install, so now my phone will boot up just fine for a minute, i can even unlock it an navigate for about 20 seconds, then it automatically powers back off, an boots up into
AP Fastboot Flash Mode
device is locked, Status Code: 0
Battery OK
Connect USB data cable
failed to hab check for recovery: 0x56
Fastboot Reason: Boot Failure

Tried to boot it back up in recovery through fastboot, an get the same message. I'm not sure where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

iBolski

I have the Razr HD running stock 4.1.2, rooted, today i started getting the OTA update install requests, well i accidentally hit install, so now my phone will boot up just fine for a minute, i can even unlock it an navigate for about 20 seconds, then it automatically powers back off, an boots up into
AP Fastboot Flash Mode
device is locked, Status Code: 0
Battery OK
Connect USB data cable
failed to hab check for recovery: 0x56
Fastboot Reason: Boot Failure

Tried to boot it back up in recovery through fastboot, an get the same message. I'm not sure where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Because you installed it over a rooted phone (which is strange, as it shouldn't work) you're best bet is to flash it back to stock KK, especially if it already applied the trusted zone updates.

Of course, updating to KK 4.4.2 will then allow you to unlock your bootloader.

So, the first step is to flash to KK 4.4.2. Go here and follow the steps (it should keep your data so you won't lose what is on your internal SD card but you WILL lose all other app settings) -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/45494-fxz-442-1834610/

Once you have followed all the directions (read, read and read again BEFORE you attempt to do anything), then go here to root and unlock your bootloader -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/46155-info-status-of-root-for-kitkat-build-182183/

Hopefully, you didn't get the latest OTA, If so, you might be hosed as far as getting your bootloader unlocked, but I don't think they've pushed out the latest patch to KK for the XT926.

That should get you back up and running. Again, you will lose your app data (that is not stored on the internal SD card), but your internal and external SD cards will be left alone and intact.

pintyguy

Aug 28, 2014
I'm going to try, only problem i foresee is that i need to boot into AP Fastboot to be able to flash, but everytime I try it brings me back to the same error screen. Since that screen is technically AP Fastboot Flash Mode, Im going to try an flash it from there, but Im not sure. Will let you know what happens.

pintyguy

Aug 28, 2014
update

So I flashed the new KK as suggested, which was a process in itself, but I got it working anyways. Now I cannot get connected to the mobile network though. It shows my phone number and everything, it just says mobile network disconnected, so I can't make calls or text at all. I'm attempting to connect to T-Mobile BTW, if it makes any difference. Any ideas? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I haven't unlocked the bootloader yet? Not sure why it would, just curious.

billycar11

So I flashed the new KK as suggested, which was a process in itself, but I got it working anyways. Now I cannot get connected to the mobile network though. It shows my phone number and everything, it just says mobile network disconnected, so I can't make calls or text at all. I'm attempting to connect to T-Mobile BTW, if it makes any difference. Any ideas? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I haven't unlocked the bootloader yet? Not sure why it would, just curious.

do you have xt926 or xt925

billycar11

then you must have previously done the modem unlock you will need to redo it that is all

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2389740
that should be the thread for how to do it tell us how it goes, i have no experience with this i am still on Verizon but others say after writing to the phone wait 5 minutes not seconds sorry i rembered wrong before rebooting other wise the settings will not stay

Last edited:

pintyguy

Aug 28, 2014
Awesome I was just about to ask for a link, thank you. And I actually got this phone pre-rooted and everything, so the guy before me must have flashed the modem. When I got it I just dropped T-Mobile sim in and it worked just fine. Luckily I'm not new to any of this, I just had a Galaxy s3 running CM11 I believe, but got rid of it and got this. Again, appreciate all the help. Gonna give it a go now and I'll report back soon.

pintyguy

Aug 28, 2014
one is a Verizon phone the other is for other carriers
does your phone have Verizon branding on it?

Well I'm about at my wits end on this one. I couldn't get the Moto Diag driver to correctly install to port, so I went with the RadioComm method instead. I followed a tutorial off this site, which I can't link to just yet asbi do not have enough posts. But followed it to a tee, and it seemingly was successful. But after reboot I only showed bars for about a minute, then right back to no service, T-Mobile could not be registered at this time. Nowhere in the comments or in the guide did they mention to wait the 5 minutes after writing with this method, could that possibly be why? I'm really starting to get frustrated at this point...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-29-13-57-00.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-29-13-57-00.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_2014-08-29-10-24-23.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-29-10-24-23.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 15

pintyguy

Aug 28, 2014
Alright, so after 3 days of tirelessly pouring over the forums and two different laptops, I'm finally back up and running. I couldn't get the Moto Diag drivers to correctly install to the port, on either computer, (one was running Windows XP SP3, the other Windows 7x64)so using CDMA WS was out of the question all together. I ended up following the tutorial on using RadioComm to flash the modem instead. First attempt was successful, but I immediately rebooted when it was finished writing, and apparently it didn't stick. So I went back, checked first, and it had reverted back from "00" back to "01",meaning it was locked again. So I rewrote it, and this time left it plugged in after if finished for about 10 minutes, then rebooted, and voila, back up and running, no problems since. I repeat, if you are flashing the modem, whether it be with CDMA WS, or RadioComm, YOU MUST WAIT AT LEAST 5 MINUTES AFTER FLASHING BEFORE REBOOT, otherwise it will not stick and your wasting your time. Thank you for all the help, it is very much appreciated.

Link for the RadioComm tutorial I ended up using:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2166542

On a side note, is it really worth unlocking my bootloader? I realize I'm right at the list version where is possible, and all over the forums it's threatened "UNLOCK NOW OR STAY LOCKED FOREVER!", just curious if it's really worth the time and effort. But again, thanks to everyone who helped, and if I may assist anyone else in a similar situation feel free to ask.

billycar11

Alright, so after 3 days of tirelessly pouring over the forums and two different laptops, I'm finally back up and running. I couldn't get the Moto Diag drivers to correctly install to the port, on either computer, (one was running Windows XP SP3, the other Windows 7x64)so using CDMA WS was out of the question all together. I ended up following the tutorial on using RadioComm to flash the modem instead. First attempt was successful, but I immediately rebooted when it was finished writing, and apparently it didn't stick. So I went back, checked first, and it had reverted back from "00" back to "01",meaning it was locked again. So I rewrote it, and this time left it plugged in after if finished for about 10 minutes, then rebooted, and voila, back up and running, no problems since. I repeat, if you are flashing the modem, whether it be with CDMA WS, or RadioComm, YOU MUST WAIT AT LEAST 5 MINUTES AFTER FLASHING BEFORE REBOOT, otherwise it will not stick and your wasting your time. Thank you for all the help, it is very much appreciated.

Link for the RadioComm tutorial I ended up using:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2166542

On a side note, is it really worth unlocking my bootloader? I realize I'm right at the list version where is possible, and all over the forums it's threatened "UNLOCK NOW OR STAY LOCKED FOREVER!", just curious if it's really worth the time and effort. But again, thanks to everyone who helped, and if I may assist anyone else in a similar situation feel free to ask.
it is worth it also i told you about the 5 minute thing :p