HTC One camera purple tint possible fix

Search This thread

clemson77on

Jul 15, 2013
So here's my game plan. I'm not going to S-off because I don't want to risk bricking my phone and mostly because I don't want to get my phone back and not be able to enable S-off. So I'm going to use the tools here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2481277 that enable you to make the phone show as being locked and S-On, but actually still be unlocked and S-Off. Then I plan on flashing the stock ROM http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2485319. Hopefully, if they don't look too hard, it will go unnoticed. Any opinions on this?

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
Sounds great.

Back up all your pictures etc before you do *anything*. At some point in the process this phone is going to get wiped totally clean, whether it's part of HTC's repair process or you do it first, intentionally or unintentionally.

Just one last reminder, if you flash that custom HBOOT, now you *really* have a good reason not to go S-ON: attempting S-ON before reverting to a stock HBOOT will kill the phone for real.

If for some reason HTC attempts to S-ON while it is in their possession, well, that's going to be one confused technician who has to figure out how to get you a working phone.

Not sure if you caught my post a couple pages back where someone over in the ARHD thread says HTC (when deciding whether or not to even accept the phone for repair) didn't care about S-OFF but they *did* care about an unlocked bootloader. (Side note - it was returned S-ON.)

Which brings us back to the part about backing up all your data: if you change the lock status of your bootloader, that's going to wipe the whole phone, so save all your precious stuff *before* you even start messing with the phone.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

cantfindanick

Sep 14, 2013
Ankara
Just got mine back from HTC service and camera red completly gone, im really satisfied with result . I don't think it can fixed or reduced by adjusting sharpness, saturation etc.. if you need a temp. Fix you can choose Brown ish filter from camera , red tint looks gone but it's Brown filter after all.

clemson77on

Jul 15, 2013
Sounds great.

Back up all your pictures etc before you do *anything*. At some point in the process this phone is going to get wiped totally clean, whether it's part of HTC's repair process or you do it first, intentionally or unintentionally.

Just one last reminder, if you flash that custom HBOOT, now you *really* have a good reason not to go S-ON: attempting S-ON before reverting to a stock HBOOT will kill the phone for real.

If for some reason HTC attempts to S-ON while it is in their possession, well, that's going to be one confused technician who has to figure out how to get you a working phone.

Not sure if you caught my post a couple pages back where someone over in the ARHD thread says HTC (when deciding whether or not to even accept the phone for repair) didn't care about S-OFF but they *did* care about an unlocked bootloader. (Side note - it was returned S-ON.)

Which brings us back to the part about backing up all your data: if you change the lock status of your bootloader, that's going to wipe the whole phone, so save all your precious stuff *before* you even start messing with the phone.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

I really appreciate the input! What in your opinion is the best way to lock the bootloader on the Verizon HTC One? Also, will the red warning text still be there at bootup after locking it? I assume it will because it will still be S-off?

juanshop

May 3, 2010
Unfortunately I am with Verizon and I avoid them at all costs. They'd have me go through 20 replacement phones before they'd do what needs to be done.

Oh sorry about that :/ I was surpriced when they told me oh ok we''ll overnight you a phone. I thought they where just gonna be a middle man for HTC and me.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
I really appreciate the input! What in your opinion is the best way to lock the bootloader on the Verizon HTC One? Also, will the red warning text still be there at bootup after locking it? I assume it will because it will still be S-off?

I think you want to have stock recovery on the phone. Stock recovery will get rid of the red warning text.

When I sent mine in, I set it to stock ROM, stock recovery, stock hboot, locked bootloader, but still kept it s-off. Didn't matter because they replaced the mainboard anyway so my phone came back s-on. Luckily it was still on 4.3 so I could use firewater to achieve s-off again.

In the end it was worth it because camera is much better now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: NxNW

clemson77on

Jul 15, 2013
I think you want to have stock recovery on the phone. Stock recovery will get rid of the red warning text.

When I sent mine in, I set it to stock ROM, stock recovery, stock hboot, locked bootloader, but still kept it s-off. Didn't matter because they replaced the mainboard anyway so my phone came back s-on. Luckily it was still on 4.3 so I could use firewater to achieve s-off again.

In the end it was worth it because camera is much better now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to take the route you took. I'm going to revert back to 4.3 and hope to god they don't flash 4.4.2.

Reactions: gustav30

matanlevanon

May 26, 2010
Tel Aviv
I think it was 1.44 when I sent it in and 1.55 when I got it back.

Meanwhile here is a post from someone who claims they experienced a different result after sending in their phone to HTC for repair:

source: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50542998&postcount=70059

HBOOT Version before and after repair ?
1.55 and 1.56 or else ?

from HTC One

You will get the latest Hboot and ROM available officially for your device.
Since I have the developer's edition I got it back with hboot 1.56 and FW 4.06.1540.3
If you have the international one you'll get it with 1.56 hboot and FW 4.19.401.9 (unless another update comes out)

They didn't mention me being s-off but the raised the concern of unlocking the bootloader
EDIT: I got it S-ON and had to re-do the S-OFF, I used rumrunner with no problems

yatindroid

Sep 23, 2009
Jaipur
You will get the latest Hboot and ROM available officially for your device.
Since I have the developer's edition I got it back with hboot 1.56 and FW 4.06.1540.3
If you have the international one you'll get it with 1.56 hboot and FW 4.19.401.9 (unless another update comes out)

They didn't mention me being s-off but the raised the concern of unlocking the bootloader
EDIT: I got it S-ON and had to re-do the S-OFF, I used rumrunner with no problems
S-Off on 1.56 ?
how ?
ARHD helped ?
i treied firewater and rumrunner both not worked

yatindroid

Sep 23, 2009
Jaipur
flash an older ROM I did it with ARHD 31.6, don't worry about your Hboot, as long your android version is 4.3 you're fine.
problem was with Windows so I installed new Windows 7 32 bit with new driver adb then firewater s-off my HTC One in 1st chance
I was on hboot 1.56 ARHD 52 Rom

matanlevanon

May 26, 2010
Tel Aviv
problem was with Windows so I installed new Windows 7 32 bit with new driver adb then firewater s-off my HTC One in 1st chance
I was on hboot 1.56 ARHD 52 Rom

Well, being able to fastboot is crucial... next time you can just install HTC Sync which will update your drivers and then un-install it.
Good to know rumrunner works with ARHD 52 ;)

Hesster

Mar 1, 2011
Sent mine in today via insured UPS. I have T-Mobile, but since I am on prepaid they would have made me send in the phone before sending me a replacement. Besides the camera, my phone works perfect and I didn't want to take the chance of getting a refurb that might have other problems.

So I'm back to using my Droid 3 in the meantime. Love the keyboard, but it just doesn't have enough memory to run some of the games I'm hooked on. Hurry home soon, One! :crying:

JeffyLube0

May 25, 2008
I sent my phone in two weeks ago and just got it back.

When they recieved the phone, they initially denied it and charged me for the repairs (US $200). They said it was running custom software and had previously been bootloader unlocked. They asked if I would like to proceed with the repairs. I declined, then mentioned how I've been dissatisfied with HTC in the past few years. That was that. They were sending the phone back with no repairs.

I recieved the phone today with a note stating that they had not repaired my phone. I opened the camera and to my surprise there was no sign of red/purple tint anywhere. They must have fixed it anyways! :good:

Here are some pics in the dark. One with the lens completely covered. One of my PC

2mxfmoo.jpg

2i93437.jpg

Reactions: thiagodm

onefasttreopro

May 8, 2009
That's interesting to hear...that means that even when you deny a repair they still put it through their tests and find issues and possibly fix anyway...I ran into similar situation for denial because of a chip in aluminum on case and they tried to deny warranty coverage....I ad it escalated with RMA tier 2, and after they looked at the pics they laughed at such a small chip denial and autthroized the repair.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

Bocko92

Mar 13, 2011
How did u talk with the higher tier? Today i got the phone back and the side where the volume rocker sits is completely loose - it has like half a centimeter gap and the volume rocker can move back and forth .. I returned it again .. 2d time must be the charm, hope this time they put a new back as they should, because obviously they bent the old one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just want to let every developer know, I have a possible way to fix the purple tint.
    This is my findings...

When you set your saturation and explosure to -1, the purple tint just gone. But saturation -1 seems too much for the photo. It is ideal to have -0.5 or somthing.

It is nice that if a developer know how to modify the Camera setting and make it default.

UPFixE_zps52cc7648.jpg
    Mine is stone cold and it still happens. Since it didn't happen prior to the 4.2.2 update, it definitely isn't a hardware issue.

This is most likely an incorrect assumption. If you check out the primary thread for this issue http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317507 you'll see that it cannot be software alone and is mostly hardware. I'll spare you from reading through the 260+ pages in the thread, here's a summary of why:

-For many it can be induced by heat (physical induction means physical problem). Some can be fixed by cooling below 20 degrees (same)
    -On both Google and normal editions
    -Independent of batch and factory (so far)
    -On all versions of OS and firmware (definitely not just 4.2)
    -Worsens with time (software doesn't behave like that)
    -Replacing the sensor temporarily fixes it
    -Replaced sensors seem to begin to develop it again with time
    -It is well known that some image sensors are more prone to this kind of heat noise problem

Why do some phones not have it? Could be luck (a few better sensors in an ocean of not so good ones), maybe it hasn't developed yet (we know it gets worse with time), or maybe there's actually more than one problem going on here. The last possibility is interesting because while everyone seems to have the color issue, some aren't as impacted by factors, some have other patterns of noise, etc... It's hard to say.
    But it can't be entirely software given the above.
    Arvato Germany Experience

I am writing this post to let everyone know about my experience concerning the service that HTC offers in Germany through Arvato (in Bielefeld).

My phone, a red unbranded HTC One with an August mfg. date, was purchased in the UK the last days of September 2013. It came with an ST sensor made in July. At first it was ok, then gradually its sensor began degrading. The firmware upgrade that came with android 4.3 and introduced the software fix (the one that defaults the iso at very low levels when in low light) at first did the trick, but as time passed the problem became so severe that the fix didnt work anymore.
    During the last month even daylight photos had a hint of purple. All this time I was hesitant to send my phone for repair due to 3 reasons: a) All the horror stories stated here (phone back with the same problem,or fixed phone that later on developed the same problem, or scratched/poorly handled phone), b) the fact that I didnt want to be left with a phone that cannot be s-offed, as well as c) the fact that I didnt want to lose my 40$ Spigen Glas.tr that I have fitted perfectly and that is so hard to find nowadays.
    I decided to bite the bullet and send it for repair, facing the concequences. Since I currently live in Germany, Arvato was my only choice. The whole procedure lasted 7 days, including a weekend and the days the phone was in transport.

Results:

-The phone came back very, very well packed. Its condition was INTACT. Except from 2 tiniest, pinhead-shaped dots in the apex of the chassis close to the volume rocker, marks that you cannot see (and trust me when I say that they are nearly invisible, I am heavily OCD) the phone returned in the same pristine condition exactly as I sent it, covered in plastic foil front and back, in a sealed plastic bag, in a ton of bubblewrap.
    -Except from the replaced camera sensor (which the enclosed repair details state as a SHARP one, although in the sensor info file it is stated as the classic OV) they replaced the top and bottom speaker covers, the volume rocker (with a more matte one) the already flimsy USB port, the headphone jack, and half a dozen of thermal insulation pads.
    -Lastly, the fact that blows my mind (in a good way) is that they didnt mess with my glass screen protector at all! Although they explicitly stated that the screen protector will be destroyed and discarded, I insisted on taking care of it if possible, and they did. My phone came back with the protector intact, and on top of that they even included a new HTC screen protector on the box!

The aftermath:

-The phone now takes crystal clear pics in every lighting condition. Its not only that there is not a single hint of purple in low light, the phone now focuses faster in any condition, and the resulting pics are sharper. I believe that during the last period the old sensor was so much degraded that even in broad daylight the photos produced were not only a little bit tinted, but also very very soft ( as if someone messed with the sharpness option of the camera)
    -The device now doesnt heat as much as it used to. Previously after a heavy game or video recording the phone was getting really hot, to the point that it still felt warm after a while even through my jeans pocket. Now it just gets a little warmer, and thats all.

After this experience I have no choice but to undoubtedly reccomend Arvato Services in Germany, as they proved to be really good at what they are doing, at least with that particular problem. Should you live, or have the opportunity to send the phone for repair in Germany, dont hesitate. I wish I would have done it earlier, given the fact that I now see what I was missing by having a crippled camera.So, kudos to Arvato Germany, I wish that every official HTC repair center would act in such a professional manner.
    So I was playing around a bit just to see what would make the pics better. I believe heat is certainly a contributing factor. I have an Otter Box Defender case which protects it well but, it may be part of my problem. Once I took the case off, the purple tint was virtually gone. Even pointed into a dark room, the screen stayed dark. The pics were okay but I found you really need the flash to be on to get a clear pic. My ISO was set to 200 and saturation was set to -1. Not sure if this will help anyone but I thought I would share.

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

How is your weather where you are? is hot? how much?.
    The problem appears after you reach 34.5C° (95-94F), you can check the temp of your phone dialing *#*#4636*#*# and then choose battery.

This problem is called "amp noise", and is electrical interference to the sensor, the sensor has a bad shielding.
    If they just keep replacing the same sensor (same model, same shielding) the problem WILL come back after some use and degradation of the shielding.
    You can correct (sort of) this noise using exposure-controller apps, like Camera FV-5.

To reduce the heat from the phone, and have more time to make a shot or record a video, you can set power save mode on, and limit the CPU.
    All of this can HELP but not fix the camera, even replacing the sensors will NOT fix this issue until HTC improves the shielding of the sensor.
    This can be helped via FW also, but its a longshot, maybe with 4.4? some people reported to having the problem almost fixed with that.

If in my country was winter right now, I will never gonna find out this, 'cause here we have 8 months of cold, below 16C°, and the phone under 34C° performs great.

High ISO in a phone is a bad idea, little room and so much hot and noise.
    The Galaxy S4 have only 800 ISO max, and that's for a reason.

Maybe the problem is the motherboard, or the design itself, and it's too expensive to totally fix it, who knows, but i know for sure, that ISO +800 in a phone is gonna be tricky, and that is why this problem is happening again to people who got the sensor replaced, from all over the world, and in differents time-frames.

Amp noise happens to every camera, even the most expensives, the longer you got the camera on

Wanna do a test? just go to a low lighted room, and turn on your camera and set the ISO at its highest (1600 i think?), and just focus something, but make sure that the corners of your camera are in a dark spot and wait, but do not let the camera go in sleep mode, we want to have ful exposition, and test how fast the sensor will heat up.
    Most of the cameras, after 15 minutes or so, wil show some blue-purple amp noise in the corners, that is normal.
    If your phone, after 5 minutes or less starts to show purple-blueish spots on the corners, then it's not properly shielded/heat protected, and that duration will go down with time.
    PD: If you live in a cold country its obvious that the test will be affected.

Sorry for my english, its not my prim language.

PD2: The explanation of why the screen will turn all purple/red when you cover the lens or enter a dark room is simple, is 'cause the phone, when detects no light at all, it will set the ISO to the max, in order to get some light, that makes the sensor heat up really fast, and if hets up, and had a bad shielding then the noise happens.
    The 4.3 "fix" just make this mechanism work backwards, now when the phone detects a lot of dark, or complety dark, it sets iso to 100, to prevent overheating.
    And thats why also some users experiment some "flashing" like a disco in some low light conditions after the 4.3 fix, 'cause the phone says:

-OH SHT! THERE IS NO LIGHT NO LIGHT! I MUST TURN ISO 100, MUST FIX THIS HEAT!
    but then detects light
    -OH WAIT! THERES SOME LIGHT HERE! LETS RAISE UP THE ISO!
    but then you just move the phone a little to the left and...
    -OH NO! DARK AGAIN, LOWER THE ISO NAO!!

Result: flashing screen disco madness xD
    Just to add my 2 cents, so it’s not worth much. I tried an experiment bylocking the AE and AF on an object or color in a given light level, and then testing on a dark flat black surface. First I did it on a (low-light) red item, and got a fantastic blue noise. then i tried a low-light white object, locked that and got indigo noise. I then used a blue surface in bright light and had pure dark, no noise. When i remove the AE and AF lock, in the facedown all dark mode, it shifts to red noise.

So, the pattern is (as I see it) is all that the sensor chip does is collect the data,what we see is what the software renders from the sensor. White balance and ISOlevel have a huge factor in what color noise, and when. If you have your ISOthrough the roof and no real info hitting the sensor, the software willdecrease the software based tolerance for noise by increasing the ISO until allyou have is noise. After that, the noise color is dependent on the color tempof what the auto WB sees, and will gradually work its way to"daylight" or "cloudy" equivalency. You can test this bygetting to the point where you have red noise, and then manually changing thewhite balance through the selections. As far as a fix, the sensor is doing itsjob. The software would have to be tweaked to not get so noisy in an ultra-darksituation, and use an algorithm to remove appropriate color noise in high ISOsituations based on the detected color temp (WB).

You had the basic concept down up until you mentioned tweaking software. No algorithm can get rid of the shroud of noise that basically overwhelms the sensor and prevents it from capturing actual image data. The problem is that the old camera modules aren't properly shielded. Thermal and electrical noise from other parts of the phone are always interfering with the sensor, though in bright light, you won't notice it because the ISO (sensitivity) is turned down and you still have a large signal-to-noise ratio. In low light, where the signal is pretty weak, that's when you run into problems. At that point the noise is physically "blocking" the photons and the camera isn't able to distinguish between real and garbage data.