[APP][W|Q|VGA][v0.4:22nd Sept] ZoomKey Soft Input Panel

Search This thread

pmprog

Jul 31, 2010
www.pmprog.co.uk
ZoomKey SIP for Windows Mobile

ZoomKey is intended to make the keyboard easier for use with the thumbs/fingers on the smaller screens, by combining two keys together. Once you press on one of the "dual keys", it will zoom in. Whilst your finger is still on the key, slide it to the left side or the right side of the enlarged key. When you lift your finger it will enter the key your finger was on.

Warning: This is currently an Beta version
Whilst I have taken care to test it on ROMs with the Windows Mobile SDK, and also my own phone, there may still be bugs, and it's still not quite polished up yet. This software comes with no warranty.

SIP Release History
v0.4 : 2010-09-22 : Options dialog configurable through Input Settings. Clipping Zoom Key option
v0.3 : 2010-09-12 : Support of key map files (.zkm, produced with Mapper application), and settings stored in the registry. Enlarged Backspace and LineFeed keys. Key Preview popup window
v0.2 : 2010-09-09 : Fixed memory leak with GDI objects, probably caused the lock up bug
v0.1 : 2010-09-08 : Initial Alpha Release

Mapper Release History
v0.1 : 2010-09-11 : Really basic keymapper for use with Alpha 3 and above

To Do List
  • Multiple skin support
  • Multiple language/keyset support
  • Better support for landscape mode
  • Select a proper font
  • Options page
  • Polish up the graphics, and maybe animations
  • Tap to Zoom (2nd Tap to enter key) option
  • Vibrate on key rollover option (Possibly)
  • Optional 4th line of keys

Downloads
Download Beta v0.4
Download Key Mapper (Runs on your desktop, requires .NET framework v3.5)

Website
http://www.pmprog.co.uk/?page_id=15

Videos

Configuring
You can now configure ZoomKey through the Input settings on your device. If you want to modify it in the registry, you will find the settings here:

Root Key
Code:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B8987AAB-E594-4f97-83A5-3E27ACFFFF61}\Options
Height
In pixels, the height of the SIP panel.

PopUp
Key Preview Popup Visibility
0 = Hide the Key Preview Popup
1 = Show Key Preview Popup

ZoomSize
Size of a key when zoomed in
0 = 2x original size
1 = 3x original size
2 = Fills SIP window

MapFile
Points to a key map file created in the editor
If the file is invalid or not found, it will use a default internal keyset

ZoomOnScreen
Keeps any zoomed keys completely onscreen
0 = Allow zoomed keys to go offscreen
1 = Keep zoomed keys onscreen

Contributions
Any anybody would like to contribute their key mapping files to be packaged with the official release of ZoomKey, please let me know

Please report any bugs, glitches etc. onto this thread, or PM me

Hope you find it useful

Last edited:

pmprog

Jul 31, 2010
www.pmprog.co.uk
Known Bug List
  • Critical : Unsure how to replicate, but it SIP panel wouldn't refresh, it also prevented any dialogs from showing on the system (Had to remove battery to power down) Pretty sure this was linked to the GDI memory leak
  • Medium : SIP keeps hiding whilst typing (Reported by: pmprog, Other users affected: none reported)

Last edited:

znial

Aug 27, 2007
Bologna
look promising, going to try asap
i love the idea, and need a more finger friendly imput method :D
(i am a bit bored of touchpal ^^)
ty

znial

Aug 27, 2007
Bologna
installed in device memory, seem to work
it could be more finger friendly then the ordinary two touck/ button (like compact qwerty in touchpal or htc kbd or cliquick)
but maybe we need bigger popup for the selection(slide) of the letter to chose

sorry for my explain, my english is so sad ^^

but it is really a cool idea, keep up the dev!

pmprog

Jul 31, 2010
www.pmprog.co.uk
Thanks for giving it a play, and the feedback.

installed in device memory, seem to work
it could be more finger friendly then the ordinary two touck/ button (like compact qwerty in touchpal or htc kbd or cliquick)
I wanted to try and keep the "touch count" low to keep the speed of key up. I guess it could always be a configurable option.

but maybe we need bigger popup for the selection(slide) of the letter to chose
Originally, I planned the zoomed key to take up the whole of the SIP panel area; but I thought this would require you to move your finger too much. Again, maybe I could add a config option to let you pick a "full zoom" mode.

OmniaDaveH

Mar 2, 2009
Nice work ... works excelent on my i900 Omnia (WQVGA) , this system is very good and easy ... only vibration feedback -have any idea ? ...only 25Kb !!! - THX

pmprog

Jul 31, 2010
www.pmprog.co.uk
Nice work ... works excelent on my i900 Omnia (WQVGA) , this system is very good and easy ... only vibration feedback -have any idea ? ...only 25Kb !!! - THX

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like it. I'll add vibration to the list of ToDos as a possibility.

Sneak peak at a new option coming in in Alpha 3. This popup should make it easy to tell what key you have highlighted when your thumb is on the pad.

zoomkey_float.png

I'm also adding an option so you can set a custom height for the SIP area. So if you have a WQVGA, you can allocate more space to the SIP making it even easier, but reducing it to save space on a normal QVGA.

m0nkeyman

Mar 3, 2008
London
I do hate to be the one to tell you this but did you know something much like this idea was made some years back. Think it was called zoomboard.

pmprog

Jul 31, 2010
www.pmprog.co.uk
Great work for beta! But please add the fourth line of symbols for pages (probably optional). Russian charset doesn't get into three lines.
Thanks for your feedback.I've added your request to the ToDo list. It shouldn't be too difficult to implement, although I'll need to modify my key mapping file format; no big deal though.

Does ZoomKey work alright with the Russian characters? I know it should do, but I haven't actually tested it myself.