[Q] Red Triangle and Exclamation point - won't boot and PC won't recognize

Search This thread

Dugoutdog

Apr 7, 2012
Northern California
I was S-Off and rooted with Roadrunner. I went ahead and accepted 4.4 OTA fully expecting to lose S-Off and Root.

What I got was a phone that can't recognize the SD card, and won't boot past the white HTC screen (does it twice then shuts down to red triangle and exclamation point. I've tried to get to the main white admin. screen (vol. up and power) but no luck. I have go to a blue screen offering:
a reboot system - doesn't work
apply from SD card - phone can't find it
apply from phone storage - can find no files
apoply from cache - can't find any files
wipe data factory reset - did that and still nothing
wipe cache partition - didn't know what this would end up doing so I haven't tried it.

At the bottom of the screen in green it states :
Mount SDCARD Failed 1 time through 5 times.
Cannon mount SD Card (no such file or directory)
Write host_mode: 0 Done

I only wanted to get to 4.4, S-Off, unlocked, and rooted to get rid of bloatware. I've rooted before but i'm pretty much a noob (I've been reading here for 2+ years) but am lost understanding programmer language.

Can anyone help me? I'm lost as this is my only phone (I don't have a land line)
Thank you

desiwizard

Jan 27, 2011
Look at the following thread, may be this can help

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2662787

I was S-Off and rooted with Roadrunner. I went ahead and accepted 4.4 OTA fully expecting to lose S-Off and Root.

What I got was a phone that can't recognize the SD card, and won't boot past the white HTC screen (does it twice then shuts down to red triangle and exclamation point. I've tried to get to the main white admin. screen (vol. up and power) but no luck. I have go to a blue screen offering:
wipe cache partition - didn't know what this would end up doing so I haven't tried it.

I only wanted to get to 4.4, S-Off, unlocked, and rooted to get rid of bloatware. I've rooted before but i'm pretty much a noob (I've been reading here for 2+ years) but am lost understanding programmer language.

Can anyone help me? I'm lost as this is my only phone (I don't have a land line)
Thank you

Gizmoe

Thank you

Did you try and update while having a custom recovery and/or Rom installed? Also bootloader is power+volume down. The ota won't effect s off or locked status. Just get to fastboot and boot to RUU mode and run stock RUU. Then take updates to 4.4.2

Last edited:
Reactions: Dugoutdog

Dugoutdog

Apr 7, 2012
Northern California
Just a little more info Gizmoe please

Did you try and update while having a custom recovery and/or Rom installed? Also bootloader is power+volume down. The ota won't effect s off or locked status. Just get to fastboot and boot to RUU mode and run stock RUU. Then take updates to 4.4.2

I wrote of my problem in middle of night and blanked on getting to bootloader. I am there now. Fastboot takes me to Fastboot USB. RUU mode isn't an option under fastboot just bootloader, reboot, reboot bootloader, and power down. My PC is not recognizing the phone. I was running stock ROM. I don't recall doing anything special as far as recovery since that would be beyond my learning curve.

Gizmoe

I wrote of my problem in middle of night and blanked on getting to bootloader. I am there now. Fastboot takes me to Fastboot USB. RUU mode isn't an option under fastboot just bootloader, reboot, reboot bootloader, and power down. My PC is not recognizing the phone. I was running stock ROM. I don't recall doing anything special as far as recovery since that would be beyond my learning curve.

Can you send fastboot commands like

Code:
Fastboot devices

And see your device listed?

Dugoutdog

Apr 7, 2012
Northern California
PS: to above

Also just noticed my phone is now saying UNLOCKED which it wasn't before. Just S-Off through roadrunner (and still S-Off). . My contract was up on Friday and called Verizon to get unlock info but they said they didn't supply that info. I needed to go to a third party (figures).

Gizmoe

Also just noticed my phone is now saying UNLOCKED which it wasn't before. Just S-Off through roadrunner (and still S-Off). . My contract was up on Friday and called Verizon to get unlock info but they said they didn't supply that info. I needed to go to a third party (figures).

Did you read my other post. Can you confirm if you have fastboot connectivity? RUU mode is a command not a list option.

Dugoutdog

Apr 7, 2012
Northern California
gizmoe

I can get to the FASTBOOT USB command with bootloader, reboot, reboot bootloader, and power down. My PC made a nolise as if it recognized and connected to the phone but it is not listed.

Gizmoe

Gizmoe

If I can't see it in my computer then where do I type the codes? I'm very appreciative of your help but I'm in uncharted waters here.

Use cmd prompt. Did you setup adb/fastboot when you used rumrunners? In command prompt with phone plugged in while on boot loader screen type fastboot devices. If you see a serial number returned you are connected. Typing fastboot oem rebootRUU will put the phone into RUU mode where you can flash the decrypted RUU.

Dugoutdog

Apr 7, 2012
Northern California
my sub-directory

Use cmd prompt. Did you setup adb/fastboot when you used rumrunners? In command prompt with phone plugged in while on boot loader screen type fastboot devices. If you see a serial number returned you are connected. Typing fastboot oem rebootRUU will put the phone into RUU mode where you can flash the decrypted RUU.

So far so good. It returned FA37GS912166 fastboot.
Typing as directed it returned
<bootloader> Start Verify: 0
OKAY [0.050s]
finished. total time 0.050s

I have a black screen on my device with a white htc showing. Now I just don't know where to get the stock RUU. I went to nosroms.com but page is gone. Went to htc1guru.com and found this one there.

RUU Zip M7 WL JB 50 VZW 1.10.605.10 Decrypted
File Size: 1.1 GiB - Downloads: 1170
MD5: 2704d492d580887e2741c8a6b7fd620e
Comments: modelid: PN0731000
cidnum: VZW__001

It's downloading but REAL slow. Might be done by the time I hear back from you regarding folder.

Gizmoe

So far so good. It returned FA37GS912166 fastboot.
Typing as directed it returned
<bootloader> Start Verify: 0
OKAY [0.050s]
finished. total time 0.050s

I have a black screen on my device with a white htc showing. Now I just don't know where to get the stock RUU. I went to nosroms.com but page is gone. Went to htc1guru.com and found this one there.

RUU Zip M7 WL JB 50 VZW 1.10.605.10 Decrypted
File Size: 1.1 GiB - Downloads: 1170
MD5: 2704d492d580887e2741c8a6b7fd620e
Comments: modelid: PN0731000
cidnum: VZW__001

It's downloading but REAL slow. Might be done by the time I hear back from you regarding folder.

In santods thread at bottom of post #2 look for the decrypted ones. You can download whichever one. I would use the most current and then let it update to kit Kat from software update on phone.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=46506621

Dugoutdog

Apr 7, 2012
Northern California
now waiting

In santods thread at bottom of post #2 look for the decrypted ones. You can download whichever one. I would use the most current and then let it update to kit Kat from software update on phone.

Waiting for download to finish and getting ready for work. It will be close to see if I get it done before I have to leave. If not will finish at 3:00am when I get home and get back to you either way.

Dugoutdog

Apr 7, 2012
Northern California
almost home

Ok. Have santods file "RUU Zip M7_WL_JB_50_VZW_1.10.605.10_decrypted". I can't remember....do I leave it zipped? If unzipped what file do I use??? recovery_signed.img? If left zipped where must the directory be located? if unzipped where do the files have to be?

I won't forget a big thanks when this is done but thanks for getting me this far. Awaiting your reply.

Gizmoe

Ok. Have santods file "RUU Zip M7_WL_JB_50_VZW_1.10.605.10_decrypted". I can't remember....do I leave it zipped? If unzipped what file do I use??? recovery_signed.img? If left zipped where must the directory be located? if unzipped where do the files have to be?

I won't forget a big thanks when this is done but thanks for getting me this far. Awaiting your reply.

Just leave it zipped. Rename to RUU. Then put it in same directory you are in while using cmd prompt. Then type fastboot oem rebootRUU. Once phone is on black screen with silver letters type fastboot flash zip RUU.zip it will do some stuff and then fail saying to flush the image. Just repeat the fastboot flash zip RUU.zip again and it will succeed. You then will be complete stock. Then you should have no problems updating to kitkat either.

Dugoutdog

Apr 7, 2012
Northern California
Command Error

Just leave it zipped. Rename to RUU. Then put it in same directory you are in while using cmd prompt. Then type fastboot oem rebootRUU. Once phone is on black screen with silver letters type fastboot flash zip RUU.zip it will do some stuff and then fail saying to flush the image. Just repeat the fastboot flash zip RUU.zip again and it will succeed. You then will be complete stock. Then you should have no problems updating to kitkat either.

I'm getting a {ERR} command error.

entered " fastboot oem rebootRUU.zip" also tried fastboot oem rebootRUU", "fastboot oem reboot RUU", and "fastboot oem reboot RUU.zip" in case you forgot the space between reboot and RUU.

It is in the directory where the fastboot.exe is located. It is a zipped folder called RUU.zip.

I called in SL for tonight as I really want to get this done tonight. Too much at stake.

Gizmoe

I'm getting a {ERR} command error.

entered " fastboot oem rebootRUU.zip" also tried fastboot oem rebootRUU", "fastboot oem reboot RUU", and "fastboot oem reboot RUU.zip" in case you forgot the space between reboot and RUU.

It is in the directory where the fastboot.exe is located. It is a zipped folder called RUU.zip.

I called in SL for tonight as I really want to get this done tonight. Too much at stake.

First type fastboot devices and make sure its connected. Phone needs to be in fast boot mode. Screen should read fastboot usb in red letters. Then type exactly

Fastboot oem rebootRUU

Then

Fastboot flash zip RUU.zip

RUU.zip needs to be in the same directory cmd is reading.

Dugoutdog

Apr 7, 2012
Northern California
resent as failed like you said.

failed as you stated . . . resent. It also said failed resend immediately. something is gyrating.

OK. at bottom of command prompt it says "Successful OKAY 249.248s" Finished total time 312.192 sec.

My phone has HTC in white small letters and a solid green bar below it.

Before I screw anything from this point, what do I do now? Just press the power button?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thank you

Can you send fastboot commands like

Code:
    Fastboot devices

And see your device listed?

Did you read my other post. Can you confirm if you have fastboot connectivity? RUU mode is a command not a list option.
    I can get to the FASTBOOT USB command with bootloader, reboot, reboot bootloader, and power down. My PC made a nolise as if it recognized and connected to the phone but it is not listed.

You have connectivity then. It's not going to list it in " my computer" unless its booted into Rom. Just use this thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=46286588

To flash RUU. Don't do relock or s on just flash the stock RUU.
    If I can't see it in my computer then where do I type the codes? I'm very appreciative of your help but I'm in uncharted waters here.