[MOD][XPOSED][v1.2] Snapshare - Share images and videos via Snapchat (DISCONTINUED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

stammler

Jan 6, 2011
Frankfurt
This thread has been discontinued. For continued development, please go to this thread by amcgavin.

Snapshare

Share images and videos via Snapchat

This Xposed module lets you share any image and portrait video via Snapchat, not only pictures you take with the camera from within Snapchat. When you are viewing an image and click on share, Snapshare will pop up as an option. It will load Snapchat and lets you even paint on the image as if you had just taken it with your camera inside Snapchat. Snapshare will crop your images so they fit into your display.

It uses the Xposed framework to intercept launches of Snapchat from Snapshare and do the magic. Because it uses the Xposed framework, it is device and rom independent :)

If you find any bugs, please report :) See the section Troubleshooting/Bugs on Github about which logcat filters would be helpful etc.

Confirmed to work with Snapchat 4.0.05 (2013-10-05)

Installation
  1. Install the awesome Xposed framework on your rooted device.
  2. Install and activate the mod, which you can download from my Bintray site. Don't forget to do a (soft) reboot.

To Do
  • Adding Borders to the image, instead of cropping it, to fit the display area's size. Especially if you want to share, e.g. square Instagram images, this is probably preferable.
  • Check that the video file to share is at most 1 MB in size, as larger files are rejected by the Snapchat server.
  • Clicking on the upper left X should return to the Gallery, not the Snapchat camera. Minor priority

Release Notes
  • 1.2 Proper handling of video deletion.
  • 1.1a Fixed version to work with newest Snapchat version 3.0.4
  • 1.1 Support for sharing videos added.
    - So far only Portrait videos are supported, as Landscape videos are shown scaled down in Portrait mode in the upper half of the screen.
    - Also, if the video is too large, which can happen quickly if recorded with an external app, Snapchat will refuse to send the video. I actually don't even now if you can share any other videos than the ones originally created with Snapchat and saved before sending. Or videos saved by the Keepchat mod.
  • 1.0 First working release. Only image sharing supported.

You can find the sources, technical details, bugs and troubleshooting discussions at my Github repository. This software is released under the GNU GPLv3.

Cheers and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

youngyoshi

Sep 7, 2006
ohio
Yes.. i thank you soo much!

Edit: didn't work on my device. Note 2 running jbs jellybombed rom. I'll try to get a logcat 2morrow

Last edited:

pogi1100

Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Didnt work on my device either. Just loads snapchat and turns on the camera when i press share.

Working great on International S3 running CM10.1

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

stammler

Jan 6, 2011
Frankfurt
Didnt work on my device either. Just loads snapchat and turns on the camera when i press share.

Well, so far my Nexus 4 running ParanoidAndroid is the only device I could test this on, so I'd be happy if you guys could help me getting this to work on your devices/roms. A logcat would be helpful because the app prints a lot of debugging information in the background. Quote from the README on github:
README said:
If you encounter any problems or bugs with this mod, please open logcat like this

Code:
adb logcat -v time ActivityManager:I Snapshare:D "*:S"

then reproduce the error and report the relevant output (That's why I choose to display the time in logcat's output, I don't wanna have your logcat of the last few days ;) ).
For a start, you could just send me the /data/xposed/debug.log file...
You are surely running the newest Snapchat 3.0.1? Which Android versions are you running?

coolcapnc

Oct 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Well, so far my Nexus 4 running ParanoidAndroid is the only device I could test this on, so I'd be happy if you guys could help me getting this to work on your devices/roms. A logcat would be helpful because the app prints a lot of debugging information in the background. Quote from the README on github:

For a start, you could just send me the /data/xposed/debug.log file...
You are surely running the newest Snapchat 3.0.1? Which Android versions are you running?

Worked perfectly for me. Running latest Snapchat 3.0.1 on my Galaxy S3. Tried from multiple Gallery apps and had no issues at all!

Reactions: stammler

wchill

Dec 4, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I've been messing around with the Snapchat API and I've found some information that might be helpful:

-the Snapchat server rejects any uploads over 1MB
-images that are too high resolution (regardless of whether or not it is greater than 1MB) will show up as black
-videos from other sources DO work as long as they are < 1MB (tested on a Galaxy Note II, uploaded with my own app, recorded at low quality settings with final size at 940k). I even grabbed a random YouTube video (a jump scare) and sent it as a snap to one of my friends for fun :D

In addition, I have some other questions. I will PM you with those as they are not as relevant to this thread

stammler

Jan 6, 2011
Frankfurt
I've been messing around with the Snapchat API and I've found some information that might be helpful:

-the Snapchat server rejects any uploads over 1MB
-images that are too high resolution (regardless of whether or not it is greater than 1MB) will show up as black
-videos from other sources DO work as long as they are < 1MB (tested on a Galaxy Note II, uploaded with my own app, recorded at low quality settings with final size at 940k). I even grabbed a random YouTube video (a jump scare) and sent it as a snap to one of my friends for fun :D

In addition, I have some other questions. I will PM you with those as they are not as relevant to this thread

Thanks for that! The 1 MB limit is very helpful indeed! I might show a Toast message if the video's size is above 1 MB or something like that.
The resolution of the image is no problem, as Snapshare internally crops and scales too large images so that they fit into the DisplayMetrics.widthPixels x DisplayMetrics.heightPixels rectangle.

wchill

Dec 4, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for that! The 1 MB limit is very helpful indeed! I might show a Toast message if the video's size is above 1 MB or something like that.
The resolution of the image is no problem, as Snapshare internally crops and scales too large images so that they fit into the DisplayMetrics.widthPixels x DisplayMetrics.heightPixels rectangle.

Ah, I just noticed the crop/scale code. I've been using inSampleSize to scale myself

pogi1100

Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Nvm forgot to enable xposed as I just upgraded my ROM. Working marvelously on Temadek's CM10.1 on International S3 :good:

stammler

Jan 6, 2011
Frankfurt
Nvm forgot to enable xposed as I just upgraded my ROM. Working marvelously on Temadek's CM10.1 on International S3 :good:

And I even wrote in the Installation notice to do a soft reboot :p Maybe you could edit your first post so ppl scrolling from above see the solution more quickly. thanks!

stammler

Jan 6, 2011
Frankfurt
Ah, I just noticed the crop/scale code. I've been using inSampleSize to scale myself

Well, inSampleSize only lets you scale by powers of 2, which in practice means (if you scale an image to display it full screen) you use it with a factor of 1 (no scaling), 2 or very seldom 4 ;) For Snapchat, I have to provide the Bitmap to fit on the display pixel-to-pixel, otherwise it is doing strange stuff. However, in the code you find a TODO item to use inSampleSize for the initialisation of the bitmap in cases where the image is very large, to improve performance. But because I scale the bitmap down anyway, this is not essential for the mod to work, but at some point I'll probably implement this...

wchill

Dec 4, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well, inSampleSize only lets you scale by powers of 2, which in practice means (if you scale an image to display it full screen) you use it with a factor of 1 (no scaling), 2 or very seldom 4 ;) For Snapchat, I have to provide the Bitmap to fit on the display pixel-to-pixel, otherwise it is doing strange stuff. However, in the code you find a TODO item to use inSampleSize for the initialisation of the bitmap in cases where the image is very large, to improve performance. But because I scale the bitmap down anyway, this is not essential for the mod to work, but at some point I'll probably implement this...

This was something I was having an issue with. I'm thinking I'll probably use inSampleSize with a scale size of 1/2 or less so that it's just above the maximum resolution and then scale it down from there

andybfmv96

Nov 19, 2012
Confirmed working on stock rooted tmobile HTC one. (S-off)

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

phazi

Nov 26, 2007
Snapshare to iphone

Amazing mod, but something i've noticed is that any vid being sent to an ios device gets cut off at 10 secs.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been discontinued. For continued development, please go to this thread by amcgavin.

Snapshare

Share images and videos via Snapchat

This Xposed module lets you share any image and portrait video via Snapchat, not only pictures you take with the camera from within Snapchat. When you are viewing an image and click on share, Snapshare will pop up as an option. It will load Snapchat and lets you even paint on the image as if you had just taken it with your camera inside Snapchat. Snapshare will crop your images so they fit into your display.

It uses the Xposed framework to intercept launches of Snapchat from Snapshare and do the magic. Because it uses the Xposed framework, it is device and rom independent :)

If you find any bugs, please report :) See the section Troubleshooting/Bugs on Github about which logcat filters would be helpful etc.

Confirmed to work with Snapchat 4.0.05 (2013-10-05)

Installation
    1. Install the awesome Xposed framework on your rooted device.
    2. Install and activate the mod, which you can download from my Bintray site. Don't forget to do a (soft) reboot.

To Do
    • Adding Borders to the image, instead of cropping it, to fit the display area's size. Especially if you want to share, e.g. square Instagram images, this is probably preferable.
    • Check that the video file to share is at most 1 MB in size, as larger files are rejected by the Snapchat server.
    • Clicking on the upper left X should return to the Gallery, not the Snapchat camera. Minor priority

Release Notes
    • 1.2 Proper handling of video deletion.
    • 1.1a Fixed version to work with newest Snapchat version 3.0.4
    • 1.1 Support for sharing videos added.
      - So far only Portrait videos are supported, as Landscape videos are shown scaled down in Portrait mode in the upper half of the screen.
      - Also, if the video is too large, which can happen quickly if recorded with an external app, Snapchat will refuse to send the video. I actually don't even now if you can share any other videos than the ones originally created with Snapchat and saved before sending. Or videos saved by the Keepchat mod.
    • 1.0 First working release. Only image sharing supported.

You can find the sources, technical details, bugs and troubleshooting discussions at my Github repository. This software is released under the GNU GPLv3.

Cheers and enjoy!
    Hey everyone, I'm the guy who's gonna try and get it working as it was before for new snapchat versions.

As has been posted already (thanks for linking it!), you can download it here (on the release tab. Apologies to those who downloaded it already, I moved it to my development machine, which means that it will be a different signature when updating)

Anyway, I'll do my best to get it working to what it once was!

The current version works with snapchat 4.0.20, and to activate it, you need to hit the snap button for the image to show in the preview.
    Came here just to say this. Please please please fix this. It shouldn't be hard.

I'm working on it. Again, they changed quite a few things in the working internals of snapchat... It shouldn't be too hard, but every time they decide to change the way snapchat works, it's a bit time consuming exploring the changes in the smali code...
    v1.1a released

Finally fixed it! It was a pain in the ass figuring out their new event handling system :silly: And in the end I just needed to add three lines of code... But it took me quite a bit more than three hours to understand why the hell it wouldn't work the way it used to! ;)

While fixing this, I found a bug (and am surprised that no one has complained about it yet): If you open Snapchat normally after sharing a video with Snapshare, it might delete your video. So be careful... I'll fix this soon.
    I got a PM today about SnapShare.

Hello

I don't have the required 10 posts to reply to the thread, as I just recently made my account.
    I've updated snapshare to work for snapchat version 4.0.20.

https://github.com/amcgavin/Snapshare

I have just picked up snapshare, and to get it working as soon as possible I did a quick fix - when snapchat loads with the image you selected, you need to hit the snap button in order for it to show up.

If you could pass this information into the snapshare thread, that would be great. I'm currently working on raising my post count so I can participate myself.

Anyone feeling brave?