Can you use the Tab S as a phone?

Search This thread

kuromusha38

Feb 16, 2014
Sydney
Can the Tab S be used as a stand alone mobile phone if I get the LTE model? If it can then I will sell my Note II and buy the Tab S 8.4.

I do not want to carry around two devices.

kuromusha38

Feb 16, 2014
Sydney
Are you sure about that? All the other sources I read says you can only control your phone via an SideSync app.

Which means you will not be able to make any phone calls without the phone.

H786

Mar 18, 2009
Are you sure about that? All the other sources I read says you can only control your phone via an SideSync app.

Which means you will not be able to make any phone calls without the phone.

I am 100000000000% sure that you can make and receive calls/texts as I own the Lte version of galaxy tab s 8.4 and it's the same as the bigger one... that side sync app is for wifi version as it has no sim support

Daagen

Dec 14, 2008
I am 100000000000% sure that you can make and receive calls/texts as I own the Lte version of galaxy tab s 8.4 and it's the same as the bigger one... that side sync app is for wifi version as it has no sim support

Sidesync is available in lte version too. It needs wifi network to work, though.

ShadowFlare

Dec 13, 2008
Jakarta
If you google for Galaxy Tab S 8.4 LTE, you can see, on the picture, the top of the device is an earpiece speaker. If you put your phone SIM card in, you can use it as a phone, putting it against the side of your face and all. Or you can use Bluetooth headset.

I have the 8.4 LTE, although I have not I have not used it as a phone yet (soon), I can see the icons for making calls and SMS Messaging.

Now for the 10.5 LTE, I do not see the earpiece speaker. Maybe you can still use it as a phone but sound will come out as a loudspeaker.

fanistic

Jan 25, 2013
The calling function for the LTE version makes the SGTS an all round Device. BIG is definitely Better.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Internationally, with the exception of Turkey, all Samsung's 3G and LTE tablets support MMS and phone functions regardless of size (yes, the Pro 12.2 3G/LTE is a phone). They can all be used as speaker phones as well as with wired and BT headsets. The U.S. carriers always disable MMS and the dialer in the tablets they sell which is why U.S. XDA members assume those tablets don't have phone features.

fanistic

Jan 25, 2013
If I were to use the Tab S 8.4 as a phone, how portable is it? Does it fit into pockets?

just walk up into a store and feel the size in your hands or you rather get a ruler and cut out 8.4 inches on a cardboard to know how big the tabs can be. if you wear skinny jeans i doubt u can put a tab into your pocket.

omegafiler

Dec 22, 2010
TX
I'm really considering the international LTE/3G model (SM-T705) and using it to replace my GN3 on T-Mobile. Just concerned about being limited to the 1900MHz band, which is available in my area, just not all that speedy (or widely available elsewhere). I might even jump over to AT&T if it'll work better.

But with the right holster/pouch, I think it's quite doable. I already use a seidio holster (don't like things in my pockets). And I've been rather interested in Mighty Pouch, which looks like a pretty good way to carry around a large tablet while remaining portable and accessible. Already contacted them and they can pretty much make a custom pouch that'll attach to your belt, for just about anything. And probably wouldn't look entirely ridiculous like some solutions I've seen. :)

We'll see... my GN3 does get the job done. I just like trying different things. Heck, I might even keep both and just switch sim cards depending on where I'm going.

kuromusha38

Feb 16, 2014
Sydney
There are three things that's will not make the Tab S inferior to the Note 3.

1. The size is just not portable.

2. The battery is not removable. The Tab S will not have the battery life of the Note and it is not removable meaning you're dead when the battery runs out.

3. No stylus.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Using a tablet as a phone is ridiculous unless you are just a cheap ass. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app
    It's bigger than just using a tablet as a "phone." It's about being always connected too.

• A tablet's battery is three or four times bigger than a phone's. Why would you use the latter to provide Wi-Fi to the former? Especially when adding another device to an existing data plan is $10-15?

• Tethering is a pain in the ass. Take out phone, turn on Wi-Fi sharing, connect tablet and reverse it all when you're done. Forget to turn Wi-Fi sharing off on your phone and its battery is toast.

• With an always connected tablet you can just pull it out and use it. When a Wi-Fi tablet's connected after being offline it runs like a slug initially depending on how many background syncs have to catch up. Replying to e-mail on a connected tablet's great because it's always sync'd.

• On a tablet you can use (and control) the phone and MMS while in a call and using S Note, the web, etc. Both the phone and MMS are pen window and multi view enabled. Long or group MMSs are a hell of a lot easier to send from a tablet.

• By using the tablet for long calls you're preserving your phone's smaller battery. And your phone is where you'll make and receive important calls.
    Obviously this means nothing to consumption users but is a God send to productivity users. I personally wouldn't own a non-connected tablet after using one for almost three years.