[HOW TO] Easiest Root and Recovery: SGS3 LTE Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, Rogers

Search This thread

ladle3000

Feb 12, 2012
I tried to apply the ota update and it failed I think. It booted into cwm and didn't seem to complete. How do I verify? Under settings it says no update available now. But I never lost root.

Sent from a room in a place. (usually)

bigzeak85

Aug 29, 2010
atlanta
Is it possible to update cwm to v4 directly from the phone or is Odin mandatory?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

bbelos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2011
Chicago
Im trying to root my phone but i am having issues getting into download mode. Im holding volume down and power at the same time. The samsung screen pops up and then the samsung galaxy slll screen then it resets the phone like it should if you hold down power long enough. but no Download scrren. Am i doing this right? My ssgs2 went right into dl mode.

Try using Home key also. VolDown+Home+Power

bbelos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2011
Chicago
Is it possible to update cwm to v4 directly from the phone or is Odin mandatory?

Until heimdall is updated to work with this devices, you have to use odin at least once to get root, whether its by flashing cwm, a pre-rooted kernel, or a pre-rooted system.

bigzeak85

Aug 29, 2010
atlanta
I already rooted and installed cwm with Odin when the root method was first released. Now I want to update to v4. I used to be able to do this with my photon where we download the zip file of the newest cwm and just update it through recovery. Is it possible to do that with this device?

CMTeamEpic

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 21, 2012
I already rooted and installed cwm with Odin when the root method was first released. Now I want to update to v4. I used to be able to do this with my photon where we download the zip file of the newest cwm and just update it through recovery. Is it possible to do that with this device?

Team Epic Blog: CWM Recovery for all SGS3 LTE variants
Downloads and instructions for CWM recovery to enable rooting and customization of all SGS3 LTE variants.

**CWM Flashable zip released, although currently only supported for the Sprint SGS3 device. We would like to confirm the recovery partition for the other SGS3 models before supporting them.

CyanogenMod's Team Epic specializes in Sprint's flagship Android phones on Sprint.
If you appreciate our work, please consider supporting us with a tiny contribution. Thanks!

slickdaddy96

Sep 8, 2009
Google Wallet borking?

Ok I am in a catch-22 here. I used the original Root method (that was published the first day or two of the Sprint phones being out). I have Google Wallet working until recently when it told me that my Carrier or Network was not able to use wallet. I realize the OTA update supposedly fixes this, but I also know that if you don't reset Google Wallet inside the app before flashing or reseting anything you may bork the security on the NFC where it will never work again ever.

So here is the catch-22. I can't get into the wallet app menu to reset anything because it won't allow me to because of the error message of not being on the right carrier or network. The only thing I can do is clear the data in the App Manager. Will this be sufficient not to bork Wallet or not or should I just wait till someone has a fix for this problem possibly where I can actually get into the app to reset data?

Edit: Nevermind I guess. I am not going to put the update on until Google fixes wallet. I just updated my wife's unrooted phone with the OTA update and the wallet update on market and it just gives me an endless loop of saying that i need to update wallet even though I already have. So it is obvious wallet is borked on S3's right now rooted or unrooted. Think the safe thing to do right now is not to do anything to avoid borking it permanently.

Last edited:

JTIII

Nov 10, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I'm having an issue with Odin as well after the OTA update...I've tried two different cables in different ports and reboots, and it gets stuck at Get PIT for mapping every time and after a few minutes it says that the flash failed. I have the latest file for CWM and Root from Recovery. I'm coming from the Epic 4G and have been using Odin countless times with nothing but success. I've never rooted this phone before the OTA also. Is there another step I'm skipping?

Last edited:

Sed8ing

Aug 27, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
So, I am unsure of what is going on, but now after the update I am getting a NEW message rather than the "not certified" message... (see screenshot attached or below) and then go into Google play store update and then sure enough get the message again when I go back to the app...

kind of annoying... any suggestions? help?

Edit: So, I am unsure whether my pic uploaded properly. The message states: "This version of the Google Wallet app is no longer supported. Please download the latest version from the Android Market." and then has a link to update...

Last edited:

JReeq

Sep 1, 2010
On XDA
I'm having an issue with Odin as well after the OTA update...I've tried two different cables in different ports and reboots, and it gets stuck at Get PIT for mapping every time and after a few minutes it says that the flash failed. I have the latest file for CWM and Root from Recovery. I'm coming from the Epic 4G and have been using Odin countless times with nothing but success. I've never rooted this phone before the OTA also. Is there another step I'm skipping?

I'm in the same boat as you :( 5 cables, 4 ports, 7 beers with no luck...

sonarchist

Mar 27, 2011
Washington, DC
BAD ODIN :(

Guys, just sharing several seemingly insignificant things that can tend to foul up the ODIN action:

[*] When downloading, make sure to check the Dev's md5 checksum against your CWM download, the sum must match or you'll have problems. Same w/ your ODIN download: by the time you receive it on your end, it may be a 10kb smaller file than the actual original (based on a number of reasons)......so it will simply NOT work.

[*] Once you are ready to ODIN your CWM, make sure the file ends in 'tar.md5' VERSUS 'tar.md5.rcdownloader' or else 'tar.md5 (1)' et cetera.............look inside the pda slot in ODIN to make sure.

[*] Make sure your device is being detected by your PC prior to loading anything........connect w/ your mUSB cable + see that the device is detected inside 'MyComputer' as an external media device........if you can not see your external device, then go back to reloading your SGSIII drivers ( Device Manager.)

[*] If the most current version of ODIN (v3.0x) does not work w/ your PC, run v1.85 OR ELSE v 1.61, often certain versions of ODIN are sensitive to certain versions of Windows (yup, just like we are Ha!)

*posted this elsewhere, but could possibly be helpful to somebody here.......good luck guys! ;)

Reactions: JReeq

shaun0207

Jan 8, 2008
B-more
Need Help

Trying to root. But I installed CWM recovery but I think my phone reverted back to android receovery.

It says "Android System recovery (3e)" at the top. Is this correct?

sonarchist

Mar 27, 2011
Washington, DC
Trying to root. But I installed CWM recovery but I think my phone reverted back to android receovery.

When you run ODIN, select 'PDA' slot ONLY (do not select Auto-reboot)....when ODIN completes CWMv4 install cycle w/ green 'complete' light at upper left, go ahead + remove cable from device, then remove + replace battery......boot to CWM recovery, then flash TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v4.zip file stored on your device............boot to system.

Thereafter, your superuser allows CWMv4 to stick, you're good to go.

zanderman112

Oct 6, 2010
SouthEast USA
www.twitter.com
When you run ODIN, select 'PDA' slot ONLY (do not select Auto-reboot)....when ODIN completes CWMv4 install cycle w/ green 'complete' light at upper left, go ahead + remove cable from device, then remove + replace battery......boot to CWM recovery, then flash TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v4.zip file stored on your device............boot to system.

So lemme get that straight before I get the phone. Its basically the same method as the epic on gb? Flash cwm, don't allow reboot, flash the root.zip to install SU and remove the stock recovery patch file?

~E.R.A.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007

Thanks this got me back to CWM recovery and flashed Root-from-Recovery-v4.zip but still unable to obtain root. OTA root keeper says I'm rooted but apps requiring root are getting denied. I set superuser to automatically allow. Can reflashing a rooted nand backup work? Or a rooted custom rom?

EDIT: Ok just restored a system back up that was rooted.

Last edited:

InfiniteReality

Jan 16, 2008
Lake Charles
MANY THANKS FOR THIS METHOD!!! It worked flawlessly for me, 10min max to root and all is good with no issues at all. :)

I did NOT do the OTA, just keep ignoring it till I tried this. My questions is this and I haven't seen a confirmed answer for it yet. Now that I have root and everything is cool, can I take the OTA or should I just keep ignoring the OTA and wait for some good ROMs to come out which have it baked in?

thatkidnamd5

Dec 21, 2011
VA
For those of you that could not obtain root after using odin to flash CWM and then flashing the updated TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v*.zip.
What i ended up doing was
1. first flashing the new root zip in CWM so that stock recovery would not reinstall after a reboot.
2. Then rebooted the phone, let it load up, turned it off, booted into recovery again 3 flashed the original root zip that came with the first method for root that QB king demonstrated in the HOW TO stickied on the top of the development forum
4. Downloaded and installed busy box from the google play store

Now I have root back and I am on the updated firmware and google wallet works. Hope this helps!

I also should have said THANKS CM TEAM EPIC FOR THE METHOD YOU POSTED! YOU ARE AN ASSET TO OUR COMMUNITY!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Follow Team Epic's SGS3 Google+ page for the latest development news and tips relevant to Sprint SGS3!

QBKing77's CWM and Root .zip Install Video

Link: CWM Recovery for all SGS3 LTE variants
    Instructions for CWM recovery to enable rooting and customization of all SGS3 LTE variants. This is confirmed to work great on Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile and Rogers variants.

EDIT: Please note if you just received a new Sprint S3 and after following this procedure you cannot access internal or external storage from CWM please see THIS THREAD

• Updated: 6/30/2012
    • version 4: Excludes /data/media from backups.

Link: Root from Recovery
    Simply flash this.zip in CWM and your phone is rooted! This is the easiest method to root the stock Samsung ROM.
    • Updated: 7/3/2012
    • version 5: Now automatically cleans out old root files to prevent conflicts. This should fix failure to root.
    • version 4: Removes /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and /system/recovery-from-boot.p left by OTA updates in order to preserve stock recovery. Read the CWM instructions carefully!

Link: Unroot .zip and Stock Restore
    Follow these insructions to unroot and restore the modification status to "Normal".

CyanogenMod's Team Epic specializes in Sprint's flagship Android phones on Sprint.
    If you appreciate our work, please consider supporting us with a tiny contribution. Thanks!
    News: Important News for Sprint's LF9 OTA Update

News: Important News for Sprint's LF9 OTA Update

6/30/2012:
    • Sprint SGS3 received the LF9 OTA update from Sprint today. If you used our previous root method, applying this OTA update works. After applying the update, you need to flash the latest version of our Root .zip in order to retain custom recovery and root status. You may also want to upgrade to CWM for SGS3 LTE variants version 4 as it contains an important fix for backups.
    • Reportedly LF9 fixes the Google Wallet not Certified issue.

Link: Team Epic's Root from Recovery.zip version 5

• v5 Now automatically cleans out old root files to prevent conflicts..

Team Epic Blog: CWM Recovery for all SGS3 LTE variants
    Downloads and instructions for CWM recovery to enable rooting and customization of all SGS3 LTE variants.

**CWM Flashable zip released, although currently only supported for the Sprint SGS3 device. We would like to confirm the recovery partition for the other SGS3 models before supporting them.