How's ART

Search This thread

PunishedSnake

Apr 12, 2014
Fresno
Reading reviews I always see them speaking aabout a lag compared to say HTC one m8

I was wondering if it improves on art

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

bholyk

Feb 16, 2008
Mount Laurel, NJ
Also helped me a great deal. Most of the lag was gone with animations set to zero and switching to nova. Changing to art then made it nexus 5 smooth for me

asonenine

Nov 2, 2012
ART pretty much eliminated the UI lag for me. It was within tolerable range before the switch, but it's pretty much gone with ART. I would certainly recommend giving it a try.

PunishedSnake

Apr 12, 2014
Fresno
The reason I went from note 3 to m8 was due to size. How big is the g3 compared to the m8?

I miss removable batteries and hoping T-Mobile carries the 3gb ram version

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

rogerrhoads

Dec 12, 2011
G3 is a little wider, same height. T-Mobile will have the 3GB version

Sent from my XT1028 using XDA Free mobile app

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
At the risk of angering a lot of people on here I wish to put forward the view that 99% of the increase in performance people believe they get on ART is just placebo at this time.

The ART build on the G3 is the ART build that came with android 4.4.2 - this is now very outdated and in no way reflects the power of ART on the Android L. There are various articles and youtube videos showing that there are virtually no differences between dalvik and ART on android 4.4.2 and indeed most top developers recommended (and still do!) that you don't use ART until android L.

In terms of real world experience, I have had my D855 since release day, I spent one week on Dalvik, then one week on ART, I was amazed by the performance increase (I tweeted about it a lot!) then I switched back to Dalvik for the last 4 days and I have had no drop in performance.

Anyone who has spent a lengthy period on ART I implore you to switch back to Dalvik for a few days, you will be surprised by how little the differences actually are.

Reactions: SilverZero

Protagoras

Feb 26, 2014
London
At the risk of angering a lot of people on here I wish to put forward the view that 99% of the increase in performance people believe they get on ART is just placebo at this time.

The ART build on the G3 is the ART build that came with android 4.4.2 - this is now very outdated and in no way reflects the power of ART on the Android L. There are various articles and youtube videos showing that there are virtually no differences between dalvik and ART on android 4.4.2 and indeed most top developers recommended (and still do!) that you don't use ART until android L.

In terms of real world experience, I have had my D855 since release day, I spent one week on Dalvik, then one week on ART, I was amazed by the performance increase (I tweeted about it a lot!) then I switched back to Dalvik for the last 4 days and I have had no drop in performance.

Anyone who has spent a lengthy period on ART I implore you to switch back to Dalvik for a few days, you will be surprised by how little the differences actually are.

Exactly my experience. I was happy with ART then I swiched back, still happy :)

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com

I've been an advocate of ART since 4.4 KitKat. On my nexus 5, ART makes multitasking faster than when using Dalvik. I also see a little less stutter when scrolling through pages with a lot of 'post' type elements. This isn't a night and day comparison, but it is definitely noticeable on my end. You can say it's a placebo, but in my eyes, there is a micro-stutter on Dalvik when pressing the multitasking button as well as when switching to another app.

I'm not saying you're wrong and demanding that I'm right. It's just been my experience. I switch apps and multitask a lot, so it's very noticeable for me. I don't see any benchmark improvements, I don't see any increase in battery life, but I do see a difference on my Nexus 5.

I'll give the G3 a week or so on Dalvik before I make the switch though. It depend on how often I see this UI lag that everyone has been talking about. I'll be getting my G3 sometime today. Hopefully before lunch

I should note that I don't sacrifice anything when using ART. All of my apps work on ART just like they do on Dalvik. So it's not like I'm losing anything by using ART instead of Dalvik(on my N5)

lukesky

Mar 26, 2007

I did just that because I wanted to use Xposed and it's Lag City everywhere!! The slowness is really getting on my nerves.. maybe it's time for a factory reset.. :(

Let's hope Xposed runs on ART in the very near future...

*edit*
I found the reason for the lag, it was xPrivacy! once I got rid of it, the lag improved quite a lot. Not as good as a brand new phone but much better than previously. Interestingly enough xPrivacy didn't lag my note 3 at all..

Last edited:

seboj

Jan 21, 2010
Atlanta
I ran my D850 on Dalvik for the first day. It seemed a little laggy.

Switched to ART on the second day - thought I saw a small improvement, but it could have been placebo. Installed Nova and froze a bunch of the bloat.

Here's the kicker: I then installed Xposed and used the D850 for several hours before I realized that it had switched back to Dalvik. I never noticed a drop in performance. I would argue that changing the launcher, installing Xposed mods, and the G3 TweaksBox, made a much bigger impact on performance than ART.

arcanexvi

Aug 22, 2010
Hoffman Estates, IL
This phone also takes a much longer time than normal to "settle" in. I was having terrible keyboard lag the first day which slowly let up over time. Now a week and a half later I don't have issues with it but I did switch to ART on day 2. I don't have any apps that aren't incompatible with ART so I won't be switching back. All I know is I lagged like a ***** the first day and a half and switching to art gave me a bit of speed over time. Now it's flawless. Would it be the same with dalvik? Maybe. I'm not willing to try. I need the phone for work and I type long emails and it was horrendous before.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.