Experience with lollipop firmware

Search This thread
May 22, 2013
Delhi
Just creating this thread so that users can find the lollipop review at one place. So please write your initial experience with the lollipop firmware here.

Here is mine:
1. The user interface feels very smooth and snappy.
2. More amount of free ram in comparison to kitkat firmware(getting around 750 mb free in comparison to 500mb in kitkat)
3. Camera feels more or less the same
4. No XLoud
5. Now there is a sound played when the phone starts up
6. Power management is superb. Now we have ultra stamina mode.

Update: Those asking for battery life, I am getting nearly 6 hrs of SOT which is comparatively higher than what I got in kitkat

Last edited:
Reactions: yashkadam0012

datagubben

Nov 25, 2010
Landskrona
Samsung Galaxy S21
Its nice for sure.

-Eye candy
-Very good battery life
-Xperia stuff (Camera, widgets etc) not available on other ROMs
-Rooted and applied sound mod and I am happy (almost as good as fauxsound).

halifage

Mar 16, 2013
Redmi 9C
Its nice for sure.

-Eye candy
-Very good battery life
-Xperia stuff (Camera, widgets etc) not available on other ROMs
-Rooted and applied sound mod and I am happy.

battery draining a bit fast here. maybe a setting i'm missing.
What's you setup, if you don't mind me asking please?
I have stamina mode and extended use enabled, disabled adaptive brightness, and unistalled almost all the sony bloatware.

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
My Experience:
1. UI is so smooth
2. Battery life more or less the same with KitKat, need more testing.
3. Device seems a bit warmer. Don't know why.
4. PS Remote Play is available for XZU now (at least in Indonesian version) :) unfortunately no PS4 so boo hoo for me :(
5. Camera.. Yes still the same, no improvement
6. Small App getting closed on Back Button :( (shame that originally in Kitkat it didn't but because Z3 does close the small app on back button)

Overall very happy for it :) Feels like having new phone all over again :cool:

datagubben

Nov 25, 2010
Landskrona
Samsung Galaxy S21
battery draining a bit fast here. maybe a setting i'm missing.
What's you setup, if you don't mind me asking please?
I have stamina mode and extended use enabled, disabled adaptive brightness, and unistalled almost all the sony bloatware.

Im comparing to other Lollipop ROMs (eg CM12.1) for our Togari which don´t have Stamina mode, stock with stamina is way better than any other ROM.
But of course rooted now!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: halifage

BragaisG

Jun 10, 2014
Makati
How were you guys able to root?
What procedure did you use? I lost root when I updated to L using PC Companion.
I have a locked bootloader btw.
Thanks!

Andre Verissimo

Jan 25, 2011
Not really, unlocking gives you the possibility to root and install recovery and the optional possibility to install ROM.

Unlock your bootloader man! :good:

Wait... at least in 4.4.4 many users (including me) with LOCKED bootloader were rooted, with recovery and had the optional possibility to instal LB ROMs... and it seems in Lollipop some people are getting the same also if they update to Lollipop following certain steps. Anyway, soon we'll probably have root for all locked bootloader users, so this is a matter of preference! :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: BragaisG

teddy74eva

Oct 17, 2012
Ryglice
@datagubben

Do you have write access to /system? Asking because I have also rooted but any app that tries to write to system partition (busybox installer, viperFX and so on) fails
Regards

datagubben

Nov 25, 2010
Landskrona
Samsung Galaxy S21
@datagubben

Do you have write access to /system? Asking because I have also rooted but any app that tries to write to system partition (busybox installer, viperFX and so on) fails
Regards
Flash nuts dual recovery first, then supersu.
All good.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Wait... at least in 4.4.4 many users (including me) with LOCKED bootloader were rooted, with recovery and had the optional possibility to instal LB ROMs... and it seems in Lollipop some people are getting the same also if they update to Lollipop following certain steps. Anyway, soon we'll probably have root for all locked bootloader users, so this is a matter of preference! :good:

I had a handset with unlockable bootloader before with my mobile operator, I never do that again.

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
I have not tried unlocking the bootloader since all I am after is root.
As I understand, unlocking the BL is required only if you are flashing a custom ROM?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would consider trying to downgrade to 4.4.4 first where you can root without unlocking bootloader. That will allow you to back up TA partition before unlocking bootloader.

shadowcore

Apr 26, 2013
Hell
OnePlus 8T
Xiaomi Poco F3
I dont care about warranty really.

Once I get lolipop for Z ultra, if I ask for bootloader unlock, would I lose the DRM keys for the camera and sony TM features?

I dont care about custom roms ever since my last phone.

fastest83

Jul 13, 2012
I never unlocked but I've been rooted since almost D1, and I know all LP bells and whistles are a way to keep me wanting for (root) more, but soon I'll be waiting for a way to root. I'm not a fan of unlocking simply because every time you have to keep up with backup, restore, wipe etc.
I unfortunately have little to no time for this kind of tinkering these days, and I can't afford to pass a single day without phone (because you possibly mess up once in a while).
I'll root when the time comes, in the mean time:
*I don't care about the launcher, if you want there's plenty of themes (including several here on XDA) that resemble the stock LP launcher, so if you're into it, go for it
*UI is EXTRA smooth, not one time the launcher refreshed or had me waiting 1 sec to go back to. *Multitasking is super fast, and thank to God (for my toddler) I'm able to pin one single app to stay until I say so
*Smart unlock works a charm and my SW3 is paired and set as trusted so I seldom have the need to unlock with a pin or pattern
*Battery is fine, seems to drain like 15% less than KK
*Multi user is finally here, so my daughter can play with games without messing with my progress in them or snooping around
*Ultra stamina mode is one thing I'll rarely use, but it's a welcome addition, who knows, maybe it'll save my Ass when I'll need it the most
*Couldn't care less about PS4 remote play (and on my C6833 it still shows as not compatible), because I have a Vita and I like to play on my 55" Bravia TV anyway
*really welcome to the "restart, screenshot and record screen" buttons on the power menu, one thing they added straight from Gravitybox :)

I still don't understand why the hell Sony doesn't give us tap to Wake, it will make a lot of people happy...

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Andre Verissimo

BragaisG

Jun 10, 2014
Makati
I would probably wait for a way to root Lollipop without unlocking the bootloader since doing so does not mean I gain root access.
I am not seeing any post from where I looked as to how to root this firmware even with an unlocked bootloader.

Thanks and regards everyone!

wrxdrunkie

Nov 14, 2008
I also have some more testing to do but while I love the update I have noticed:

-Battery life seems worse (I had to recharge a couple of times yesterday)
-UI speed is inconsistent. Sometimes it is really fast and others it bogs down.
-I have been getting home launcher reloads which is unfortunate.

I love the new design though. Overall the phone definitely seems to chug on me more though.

atomskasarma

Apr 8, 2011
Very bad bug In audio settings. While playing music In walkman app the audio settings are lost and the sound feels like lower resolution and without bass when playing next song!

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On one sentence: rushed and unpolished.

wifi hotspot randomly drops after a while, might be 5 minutes, might be 1 hour. no 'close all' button in recents. tapping the alarm in the quicksettings panel does not open alarms app (in aosp it opens android alarms app. sony has its own).

there are many others, but i have given up even mentioning them, because i always get pushed aside and it is getting tiring
    Few days back i wrote my first impressions. Back then i mostly said that everything is working fine. BUT after few days i discovered that App2SD function is not working at all. For example i tried move 1,5 GB game to SD but it actually moved only roughly 45 MB so it's another uselles feature. Then i tried what i have been doing since KitKat. Move apps to SD using great app called GL2SD but without luck. The app see SD Card somewhere inside internal memory so only thing it can do is move data from one folder to another in internal memory.
    So my question is: Is it a bug or something else i'm missing?
    Actually in this Lollipop ROM you have to modify the "SD Card Write Properties" to make the Apps to be able to write on External SD Card.
    Here are the steps
    Make sure your phone is rooted. After that perform the following steps:
    1. Using a root-enabled file manager (like root explorer), navigate to /system/etc/permissions
    2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
    3. Add an additional group definition for this permission: <group gid=”media_rw” /> (as shown in the attached picture)
    4. Save the changes to the file.
    5. Restart the phone.
    Now your phon'll behave as normal as it did in KitKat...:laugh: And you can use any app like GL2SD or FolderMount to move app data to SD Card....
    possible to have root with locked bootloader even in Lollipop

At the moment no root for locked bootloader, have you checked if you are able to unlock the bootloader?
    Its possible to root even with Locked Bootloader .... Check General Forum for ZU...:)
    I,m runnin g L5.0.2 on my ZU with root, dual recovery and of course with Locked Bootloader... :eek:

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Not really, unlocking gives you the possibility to root and install recovery and the optional possibility to install ROM.

Unlock your bootloader man! :good:

No need to do that:p .. you can accomplish both of root and recovery even on locked bootloader.... It's always safe to stay on locked bootloader...:eek:

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

I would probably wait for a way to root Lollipop without unlocking the bootloader since doing so does not mean I gain root access.
    I am not seeing any post from where I looked as to how to root this firmware even with an unlocked bootloader.

Thanks and regards everyone!

Here is the steps....
    1. flash 4.4.4 kitkat with flashtool
    2. get root with easyroot tool
    3. install dual recovery with ZU-dualrecovery installer zip.
    4. Create flashable zip of "prerooted firmwire of 5.0.2 with dual recovery" with the help of PRFCreator
    5. copy the Zip to SDcard
    6. now boot to Philz Recovery and flash the zip.
    7. reboot.. done:cowboy:
    I'm running rooted stock lollipop with dual recovery... 100% working and ultra smooth... and yes all with Locked Bootloader..:good:
    Lollipop ran smoothly on my XZU until recently, I am having frequent touch issues, where it doesn't register the touch, I have to lock and unlock the device to make it normal again. I have had two random reboots in last two days. May be I need to factory reset it.
    Just updated don't have much impressions but for sure there is a regression: The face unlock feature is missing :(

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Free mobile app

Say what now? Look at my screenshot. Feature is there along only thing is they out it under the Smart Lock tab, which appears if you turn it on in Security/Trust Agents (the third to last feature).

uploadfromtaptalk1429112449480.jpg

Am I the only one getting such pictures for the contacts during call?

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Free mobile app

Yes, you are. My contacts have the right pic, or the stock one if I didn't assign one. :)

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk