Flashable Linux and Android

Search This thread

jamezelle

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2007
Ohio
www.jamezelle.com
Also, how do we make a smaller data.img? I keep getting 256MB versions.

ok guys you DONT need a 128 mb data img . you can use the 256 one but there cant be more than 128 mb's used in it.

it mounts the 256 data.img to /sdcard/tmp then copies everything from it to the nand

i mounted a 256mb data.img i had and copied everything out of it it and it was only like 16 mb worth of stuff

128 mb is the max amount of room for the data copied

Giggles 312

Oct 23, 2009
Boston
ok guys you DONT need a 128 mb data img . you can use the 256 one but there cant be more than 128 mb's used in it.

it mounts the 256 data.img to /sdcard/tmp then copies everything from it to the nand

i mounted a 256mb data.img i had and copied everything out of it it and it was only like 16 mb worth of stuff

128 mb is the max amount of room for the data copied

so in theory, can we use a fresh installed hero build?

moekind

Oct 25, 2007
DZO for president!

Can someone take a video of Android running off nand,
and post it to Youtube. Thanks!

dj13241

Jul 11, 2007
Does Android run faster (smoother) when running from NAND vs SD? I've had some choppy-ness running from SD on my Titan.

scizzle

Jun 12, 2006
guer.ril.la
Has anyone been successful in installing from SD card? It's the only method I have and I have named file VOGUIMG.nbh or VOGUIMG.NBH using cokeSPL 2.31 it flashes image file not found and sits in bootloader.

Any ideas?

jamezelle

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2007
Ohio
www.jamezelle.com
Has anyone been successful in installing from SD card? It's the only method I have and I have named file VOGUIMG.nbh or VOGUIMG.NBH using cokeSPL 2.31 it flashes image file not found and sits in bootloader.

Any ideas?

that will only work if you have a 256-2gb card any card above 2 gigs wont let you flash through via sdcard in other words sdHC wont work

Shidell

Jan 21, 2009
- I can now confirm that flashing the nbh with the ruu works.
- dzo, I have a panel type 3 us sprint vogue. everything booted up fine, the buttons work, but the touchscreen isn't. Will post logcat / dmesg in a bit.

The screen isn't registering input? Anyone else having this problem? (I haven't flashed yet, just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.)

scizzle

Jun 12, 2006
guer.ril.la
Ok, last question. How long do you have to wait? It says update success when installing from SD. Do I reboot it, or just leave it? It's been about 10 minutes.

Thanks!

Leukay

Feb 19, 2008
Athens, OH
Hey Jamezelle, do you have a hero build that works with this, or is there no longer a size limit for the system image?

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
I've just added a new NBH (320x428 only), this one has usb mass storage enabled in recovery mode (vol up on boot) which should make it easier to copy files to/from the sd card.

You may need to replug usb to get it to recognise it, I tested it on Fedora, win xp and ubuntu, they all worked.

USB mass storage doesn't work yet under android because there are still some things mounted but it won't be hard to fix.

Last edited:

plemen

I've just added a new NBH (320x428 only), this one has usb mass storage enabled in recovery mode (vol up on boot) which should make it easier to copy files to/from the sd card.

You may need to replug usb to get it to recognise it, I tested it on Fedora, win xp and ubuntu, they all worked.

USB mass storage doesn't work yet under android because there are still some things mounted but it won't be hard to fix.

Will you be adding this to the 240x320 as well? Great work btw!

BinaryDroid

The screen isn't registering input? Anyone else having this problem? (I haven't flashed yet, just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.)

Had the same issue after the first boot, all following boots worked fine. Sprint Vogue on Boost Mobile running Android(talk about a mindf'k lol)

seen a few errors on the startup but i'm sure they can be worked out. i'm wondering were can we pull the patches that were done to the kernel so this could be adapted to other phones. my only issue i'm having is cant make outgoing calls, not sure if its build related or what but it did this before so I know its not anything Dzo did. gonna just try another build.

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California
Had the same issue after the first boot, all following boots worked fine.

thanks - that worked. lol, the windows guy didn't try rebooting!

dzo, For mass storage are you using function or gadget? I ask because I saw a post from an android maintainer stating that function support will eventually be deprecated...

Last edited:

bblount

Feb 10, 2007
How do I create empty files

Now create 3 empty files in the root of your sd card called:

rootfstonand
systemfstonand
datafstonand

How do I do this? are they text files or folder? what type of files are they.

Shidell

Jan 21, 2009
Now create 3 empty files in the root of your sd card called:

rootfstonand
systemfstonand
datafstonand

How do I do this? are they text files or folder? what type of files are they.

Just create a .txt file, then delete the extension. Make sure you're showing File Extensions in Explorer.