How to replace the digitizer.

Search This thread

CaptainMaki

Jun 26, 2011
are you 100% sure that you've not covered the light sensor from the top right corner?
also check very carefully the digitizer cable itself. it tends to break in a second.

CaptainMaki

Jun 26, 2011
this worries me since I've also ordered a digitizer from ebay, and all the sellers were from Hong Kong, so it's seems that no one offered any difference.

well, worth a try. and if you got nothing to do with the dead Aria... I'd be more then willing to help ;)

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
I just succesfully replaced the digitizer on an Aria that a friend gave me.
The digitizer that I bought came straight out of San Antonio, Texas.

It works great. Just be sure to use the white plastic piece from the old one and you'll notice some black tape on the old one as well. Just below the 'home, back, settings and search icons, but on the inside. Place some black tape on the new one in the same areas. As far as the black sticky stuff goes, make sure your hands are clean and harvest it from the old one as well. It easily rolls out (like play dough) to be reused. No light bleed here.

On a side note. I passed on the Aria when it was first introduced, waited and got an Atrix. That said, I now think that I certainly could have got by with this great little phone. I am thoroughly impressed with the quickness of this little guy. Of course it has 2.3.4 CM7 on it and that has to help.

Thanks all for the info. This thread helped greatly.

StevetotheH

Aug 14, 2011
Chico
You should never take one of these apart with out a static wrist strap.
If you take these apart without grounding yourself and pull the LCD connector
you can fry the LCD and there goes another $60 and time doing it again.

If you've taken your phone apart with out a static wrist strap and have not fried your phone your just lucky.

To not get finger prints on your device there is this special set of equipment that you can buy from the dollar store called latex rubber gloves.

As far as "the black sticky stuff" goes its called digitizer tape and should not be reused unless you want to pop your screen out of your device next time you drop it. Or just as bad your going to get all kinds of dust in between the digitizer and LCD if it's not sealed all the way around the digitizer. They make pre-cut pieces for this device, Ebay, like $2.50. If you can't find pre-cut just type "Digitizer tape" into ebay and you should find the stuff.

Common sense goes a long way.

rodinhas

Jun 1, 2004
Almada
Hello,
I' ve replaced my Liberty (here is Gratia) screen with one from China too, and every thing is working fine but the light sensor seems to be miss-aligned.
I mean, when receiving a call, I can see all and answer, after answering the screen goes black and after this I cannot end the call and have to wait for the caller to end the call.

The screen only turns "on" again if I put the phone near a big source of light powerfull lamp or direct sun light.

How to solve this?
Any opinion?

CaptainMaki

Jun 26, 2011
I don't think the problem is with the light sensor but with the proximity sensor which is right next to it.
If you'll notice there is a small rubber gasket that hides part of the sensor, it's very easy to lose it when replacing the digitizer if you don't know that it's loose.
you can download an app called AndroSensor from the market and open it. When it does locate the value of the proximity sensor. Move your finger to and from the right upper corner of the phone with the phone facing you. The value should change from 0.0 to 3.5 back and forth. if it doesn't then you have to check if you've put the gasket on the proximity sensor.

Reactions: rodinhas

rodinhas

Jun 1, 2004
Almada
Yes, thats it!

The value goes 0.0 to 0.4 if I press hard on the right on the sensor (right upper corner).

As I dont have the gasket, what should I do?
Is it possible to disable the proximity sensor?

kunal.ghogale

Jun 19, 2012
Hey guys,

My phone screen is cracked and all local cell phone repair shops around NYC say cost of replacing is north of $200. I am thinking of replacing it myself. How easy or hard is it to DIY?
Anyone who has done it?

Thanks,
Kunal

CaptainMaki

Jun 26, 2011
if you read the threads a bit, and look at the videos you will see it's not that hard.
A new digitizer costs about $20 max so it's really better to replace it yourself. You will need some tools.

bob332

May 24, 2006
Phoenix
i just did this, followed the multitude of manuals and the digitizer doesn't work most of the time or is way off - you can't even get to the screen to re-align the screen. one question i have that may have caused this issue - when i was ready to put the digitizer back on, there is what looks like a piece of plastic that would be on the inside of the digitizer - is this for protection or should i have left it on there?

my reason for asking is because this was a very easy fix compared to other stuff i do - smd design and prototype assembly, have a hot air station, have no issues assemblying down to 0402 components and leadless packages. so i am wondering if that internal 'shield' should have come off? as the phone is currently useless.

thanks in advance,
bob

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
There shouldn't be anything underneath the digitizer except for adhesive (around the edges) as far as I know... so I don't think you made a mistake. The only idea I would have is to make sure the digitizer connector isn't loose or something.

Reactions: bob332

bob332

May 24, 2006
Phoenix
There shouldn't be anything underneath the digitizer except for adhesive (around the edges) as far as I know... so I don't think you made a mistake. The only idea I would have is to make sure the digitizer connector isn't loose or something.

sounds good, will verify the connector did go in ok when i take it apart a bit later tonight :).

CaptainMaki

Jun 26, 2011
I know what plastic shield you are talking about. I don't think it's an issue. I replaced the digitizer with and without this plastic shield on the chip.

Just make sure everything is connected before you close the phone and test it while it's open. You may just got a bad digitizer.

Reactions: bob332

bob332

May 24, 2006
Phoenix
I know what plastic shield you are talking about. I don't think it's an issue. I replaced the digitizer with and without this plastic shield on the chip.

Just make sure everything is connected before you close the phone and test it while it's open. You may just got a bad digitizer.

Excellent to hear. Thought I was going to get to this last night but things never go as planned. Hopefully soon :). Thanks for the info, appreciate it greatly

Bob

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't think the problem is with the light sensor but with the proximity sensor which is right next to it.
    If you'll notice there is a small rubber gasket that hides part of the sensor, it's very easy to lose it when replacing the digitizer if you don't know that it's loose.
    you can download an app called AndroSensor from the market and open it. When it does locate the value of the proximity sensor. Move your finger to and from the right upper corner of the phone with the phone facing you. The value should change from 0.0 to 3.5 back and forth. if it doesn't then you have to check if you've put the gasket on the proximity sensor.
    how can you be sure you don't have the gasket? maybe you didn't put adhesive in the right places?

anyway :

http://forum.androidspin.com/showthread.php/6255-A-tip-for-HTC-Aria-users

this seems to work to some people, worth a shot