[WIP] Google Play Movies (Without root check)

Search This thread

Mister_Mxyzptlk

Dec 5, 2011
Louisville, KY
Just thought I'd start a thread on this and see if there's any interest. If there is, I'd like to get some people together to edit and post an *.apk . As things stand, VOODOO OTA Rootkeeper lets me temp-unroot to use Google Play Movies, but I miss the old Google Movies I had with the root check disabled.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

jjlemos

Feb 10, 2010
Definitely interested. I'm using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper but Play Movies crashes the second I try to watch or download a movie. Anyone else having this issue? I'm running a Verizon XOOM LTE rooted as well as a Galaxy Nexus LTE running CM9. The whole point of these apps is to allow media consumption on my wireless devices, so having to watch the movies on my laptop seems to defeat the purpose.

Mister_Mxyzptlk

Dec 5, 2011
Louisville, KY
Definitely interested. I'm using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper but Play Movies crashes the second I try to watch or download a movie. Anyone else having this issue? I'm running a Verizon XOOM LTE rooted as well as a Galaxy Nexus LTE running CM9. The whole point of these apps is to allow media consumption on my wireless devices, so having to watch the movies on my laptop seems to defeat the purpose.

Well, I was able to temp-unroot with VOODOO OTA Rootkeeper, and Google Play Movies launched without a hitch and didn't display the root warning. I haven't tried to rent/view a movie yet, but all seems to be in working order. However, as I said in my previous post, I really just want the root check disabled. Before updating, I had a version of Google Movies with root check disabled and I loved it! I just want the updated Google Play Movies with the same modification. I really hope someone with some know-how gets a chance to look at this thread. I'd like to see a modded *.apk before the end of the week. There are a lot of great rental deals on the Play Store that I would love to take advantage of on my Galaxy Note's gorgeous 5.3" HD Super AMOLED display.

I'll see what I can do about getting this thread temporarily moved to "Development."

Note_E

Aug 4, 2011
Well, I was able to temp-unroot with VOODOO OTA Rootkeeper, and Google Play Movies launched without a hitch and didn't display the root warning. I haven't tried to rent/view a movie yet, but all seems to be in working order. However, as I said in my previous post, I really just want the root check disabled. Before updating, I had a version of Google Movies with root check disabled and I loved it! I just want the updated Google Play Movies with the same modification. I really hope someone with some know-how gets a chance to look at this thread. I'd like to see a modded *.apk before the end of the week. There are a lot of great rental deals on the Play Store that I would love to take advantage of on my Galaxy Note's gorgeous 5.3" HD Super AMOLED display.

I'll see what I can do about getting this thread temporarily moved to "Development."

Saying "I'd like to see an apk by the end of the week" isn't the proper way to ask. This isn't a problemonly Notes suffer, this is an Android problem, have you searched xda already? Here's the first link from a Google search: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.sdx-developers.com%2F%3Ftopic%3D16930.0&ei=vblYT6CFKqmCsALW_dXMDQ&usg=AFQjCNH7PTMMxTTmG66xr_PBopvAMbdreg

Back to topic, you were then able to restore root successfully and have had zero busybox issues since?

Last edited:

Mister_Mxyzptlk

Dec 5, 2011
Louisville, KY
Saying "I'd like to see an apk by the end of the week" isn't the proper way to ask. This isn't a problemonly Notes suffer, this is an Android problem, have you searched xda already? Here's the first link from a Google search: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour..._dXMDQ&usg=AFQjCNH7PTMMxTTmG66xr_PBopvAMbdreg

Back to topic, you were then able to restore root successfully and have had zero busybox issues since?

When I said I'd like to see an *.apk by the end of the week, it wasn't intended to be taken as a push for someone to mod an *.apk for us. I really did just mean that I'd like to see an *.apk by the end of the week. There are a lot of really great deals on the Android Mar.... ahem... Play Store right now and it would be a shame if a bunch of people weren't able to take advantage of those deals and enjoy those movies simply because their devices were rooted. I would really like to see this problem solved. And yes, at the time of the OP, I had searched extensively for an updated *.apk with root check disabled... to no avail.

To address your other concern, I was able to temp-unroot and restore root without any ill effects. If there are any issues with busybox, I haven't noticed any of them yet. If there is something specific for which you'd like me to test, I'd be happy to give it a shot. Just let me know.

Note_E

Aug 4, 2011
If you're able to backup and restore apps in titanium backup OK then you should be good. Or try giving/denying permissions with SuperUser to a new root app. If that's working good you're good

Unfortunately Google knows it loses business by restricting rentals but...think of it. Rooted phones have yhe aability to capture and copy movies. It will never happen by Google's hand

Last edited:

Mister_Mxyzptlk

Dec 5, 2011
Louisville, KY
If you're able to backup and restore apps in titanium backup OK then you should be good. Or try giving/denying permissions with SuperUser to a new root app. If that's working good you're good

Unfortunately Google knows it loses business by restricting rentals but...think of it. Rooted phones have yhe aability to capture and copy movies. It will never happen by Google's hand

Ya'. That blows. I really wish I knew as much about Android as I do iOS. I would just mod the *.apk myself. I miss the good ole' days of modding *.ipa files. Now those are easy to mod. They're just *.zip archives with a different extension.

ChodTheWacko

Feb 8, 2011
. There are a lot of really great deals on the Android Mar.... ahem... Play Store right now and it would be a shame if a bunch of people weren't able to take advantage of those deals and enjoy those movies simply because their devices were rooted.

There is nothing to stop you from buying stuff from the web page. Not sure how rentals work though.

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
I just posted a 3rd apk again ONLY for android 3.2+.
Try it if you got a suitable device.

I'm getting application did not install

Will have a look at logs later see if I can work out why

hmm not a lot showing up in logcat when I install it

D/InstallAppProgress(14262): Installation error code: -104

will try it manually in system/app/

hmm ok its a duplicate cert issue.

Last edited:

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
V3 Installed, rented reservoir dogs,

shows up in app.

"failed to fetch licence"

hmmms

W/Videos (17010): youtube.videos.AppLevelDrmManagerImpl.getResponse:368 Discarding unexpected event from WV library of type: Terminated
D/Videos (17010): youtube.videos.AppLevelDrmManagerImpl.logEvent:405 ====================================
D/Videos (17010): youtube.videos.AppLevelDrmManagerImpl.logEvent:406 onEvent: InitializeFailed
D/Videos (17010): youtube.videos.AppLevelDrmManagerImpl.logEvent:408 WVStatusKey: TamperDetected
D/Videos (17010): youtube.videos.AppLevelDrmManagerImpl.logEvent:408 WVErrorKey: serror (12) Error: 810
D/Videos (17010): youtube.videos.AppLevelDrmManagerImpl.logEvent:410 ====================================
D/Videos (17010): youtube.videos.AppLevelDrmManagerImpl.logEvent:405 ====================================
D/Videos (17010): youtube.videos.AppLevelDrmManagerImpl.logEvent:406 onEvent: Terminated
D/Videos (17010): youtube.videos.AppLevelDrmManagerImpl.logEvent:408 WVStatusKey: OK
D/Videos (17010): youtube.videos.AppLevelDrmManagerImpl.logEvent:410 ====================================

possibly due to lack of drm stuff in the aosp build. I may try with the chinese leak at some point

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts