[Q] nano sim question

Search This thread

boxermansr

Jun 26, 2007
El Paso, TX
I'm (hopefully) going to be getting the M8 today/tomorrow. I presently have an iPhone 5s. Question is, can I use my current nano sim with the M8 or do I need to use the one that it comes with? I know the new SIM has to be used if I want to use NFC or whatever, but Verizon tells me if I activate the new SIM my old one (in my 5s) will expire. I am sure I'll want to swap back and forth quite a bit, so having 900 sims on hand won't be convenient. One rep says I can use my 5s sim, another says no -- so big question is, can I, or can't I? I don't care if NFC won't work, and IDK what the M8 sim would do (if anything) if I tried it in my 5s.

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2012
I'm (hopefully) going to be getting the M8 today/tomorrow. I presently have an iPhone 5s. Question is, can I use my current nano sim with the M8 or do I need to use the one that it comes with? I know the new SIM has to be used if I want to use NFC or whatever, but Verizon tells me if I activate the new SIM my old one (in my 5s) will expire. I am sure I'll want to swap back and forth quite a bit, so having 900 sims on hand won't be convenient. One rep says I can use my 5s sim, another says no -- so big question is, can I, or can't I? I don't care if NFC won't work, and IDK what the M8 sim would do (if anything) if I tried it in my 5s.

Thanks.

The way verizon works, I think the sim is sort of tied to the account. You still need to have the ESN on your account as verizon is not purely sim based. Therefore, I do not think you can switch sims, and if you do you MIGHT get purely LTE service, but no cdma.

Frankie1588

Sep 26, 2011
You shouldn't have any problems swapping Sims. I had no problem putting the micro SIM in my HTC one m7 into my droid bionic. I did have to use an adapter since Bionic uses standard SIM but I had no problem.

boxermansr

Jun 26, 2007
El Paso, TX
You shouldn't have any problems swapping Sims. I had no problem putting the micro SIM in my HTC one m7 into my droid bionic. I did have to use an adapter since Bionic uses standard SIM but I had no problem.

Did you have to call in, or were you just able to swap the SIM and everything was working? I recall when I had my Razr, and swapped to the Razr Maxx all I had to do was swap the SIM, and I was good to go. Verizon has confirmed with me that the SIM will work, but I guess I won't have NFC, which again I don't care about either way. Just want to make it as simple as possible, and not have Verizon fiddle with my plan.

Frankie1588

Sep 26, 2011
Did you have to call in, or were you just able to swap the SIM and everything was working? I recall when I had my Razr, and swapped to the Razr Maxx all I had to do was swap the SIM, and I was good to go. Verizon has confirmed with me that the SIM will work, but I guess I won't have NFC, which again I don't care about either way. Just want to make it as simple as possible, and not have Verizon fiddle with my plan.

Nope I never had to call. I even noticed that it changed my phone on the My Verizon website which was neat.

mcp2009

May 12, 2009
Hellam
You shouldn't have any issues and no you don't have to call. I have a micro sim cut to a nano and I switch it between my M7 and 5S every now and then. If I plan on switching between my 5S and M8 it'll be easier since they both use nano.

Nilius17

Mar 28, 2011
I'm using my nano Sim from my 5s in my new M8 now. Didn't call VZW, did nothing on line, just popped it out of the iPhone and into the One.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

PhantomApollyon

Jul 11, 2007
Assuming you're switching between devices that have like provisioning(which the two phones will) you will for sure be fine, no need to call. The devices will check in with the platform when they first boot up and the device ID on the account will change on it's own after a short while without you needing to do anything.

Last edited:

Nov 21, 2012
Well it is good to be corrected then. I take my statement back, I had no idea verizon started making sense.

meest

Feb 22, 2009
Well it is good to be corrected then. I take my statement back, I had no idea verizon started making sense.

They did as soon as they switched to 4g sim cards.

As long as devices you swap between are 4g I haven't had an issue. The problem is when you go from 4g to 3g back in the gnex to iPhone 4s days. Every time you did that you'd burn a sim card on Verizon.

Now iI can swap from my m8 to my iPhone 5 with a quick sim swap.

boxermansr

Jun 26, 2007
El Paso, TX
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Will be off to get my device in a few hours. One more question, since we already established the SIM from my iPhone 5s will work in the M8, will the reverse apply as well (the SIM from the M8 working in the 5s) - I'm guessing not, since (at least from what Verizon has told me) that sim is different? I know I'll be switching back and forth between devices, so I just want to make sure I know which sim/sims will work accordingly.

Thanks again.

meest

Feb 22, 2009
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Will be off to get my device in a few hours. One more question, since we already established the SIM from my iPhone 5s will work in the M8, will the reverse apply as well (the SIM from the M8 working in the 5s) - I'm guessing not, since (at least from what Verizon has told me) that sim is different? I know I'll be switching back and forth between devices, so I just want to make sure I know which sim/sims will work accordingly.

Thanks again.

You'll go get your m8 and it will come with a new sim. The old one in your iPhone will be burned after they activate the new one and Verizon won't let you use it again. Just swap the new one that comes in your m8. Don't listen to Verizon. I'm using my new sim in my m8, m7, and iPhone 5.

Icyman

Apr 17, 2010
Richmond
Burned??

What do you mean by Burned?
That it's unusable in the future?
I have reactivated a sim card before but maybe it was a different situation. I'm on a business account too. So we can change phones online without calling in. I don't know if non-business accounts can do that or not.

boxermansr

Jun 26, 2007
El Paso, TX
You'll go get your m8 and it will come with a new sim. The old one in your iPhone will be burned after they activate the new one and Verizon won't let you use it again. Just swap the new one that comes in your m8. Don't listen to Verizon. I'm using my new sim in my m8, m7, and iPhone 5.

Well I'm adding a new line, so they'll have to activate it on the new line. Then I plan to throw my sim from my 5s in the M8. Was just curious if the one from the M8 *would* work in the 5s, in case I decided to get a new SIM before I swap (since I know once I throw a dumb phone on the new line, the SIM from the M8 will be toast).

I'll just use my 5s one, since it seems the easiest. I hate going to Verizon so I just wanna be in and out :)

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010
You won't lose NFC capability when swapping SIMs. NFC is part of the phone's hardware. What you will lose is ISIS capability, since that relies on the SIM.

You can use Google wallet just when swapping SIMs.

strath

Jul 21, 2009
I modified my micro sim from the DNA and it works perfectly. The ISIS loss isn't a problem for me, as google wallet works.

meest

Feb 22, 2009
What do you mean by Burned?
That it's unusable in the future?
I have reactivated a sim card before but maybe it was a different situation. I'm on a business account too. So we can change phones online without calling in. I don't know if non-business accounts can do that or not.

As in Verizon normally won't reactivate them. I've had wonderful arguments about this on my work side also. More often than not they've made me switch to a new SIM when reactivating something that had a SIM in it already. Say when someone loses their phone, and I have another verizon phone with a SIM already in it from a terminated Employee.

I've had it the other way to where they will. But when I was switching between a Gnex and an iPhone 4s. Every time I wanted to reactivate the Gnex I would have to go get a new SIM as they wouldn't reactivate the previous one. something about going between 3G to 4G systems.

Icyman

Apr 17, 2010
Richmond
As in Verizon normally won't reactivate them. I've had wonderful arguments about this on my work side also. More often than not they've made me switch to a new SIM when reactivating something that had a SIM in it already. Say when someone loses their phone, and I have another verizon phone with a SIM already in it from a terminated Employee.

I've had it the other way to where they will. But when I was switching between a Gnex and an iPhone 4s. Every time I wanted to reactivate the Gnex I would have to go get a new SIM as they wouldn't reactivate the previous one. something about going between 3G to 4G systems.

Yes. you are correct. I did experience that once when going from iphone 4 to my Rezound but once you go 4g you never go back.;) It's un-explainable.

levilib

Nov 29, 2011
I activated the nano SIM that came with the M8 and put it straight into an adapter and into my S4 (I haven't got the chance to copy files and settings over to the HTC yet so I'm still using the S4 as my phone for now) and my S4's running fine on it!

So in answer to the OP's question, just activate the new SIM and you can use that in both your iPhone and HTC (then the current SIM you have is useless). You shouldn't have any issues switching back and forth.

Abe21599

Apr 13, 2009
there's adapters on amazon to take your new nano sim and put it in phones that require a micro sim or other size. But i switch between my phones all the time and all it takes is putting in your current SIM card

Reactions: zounduser

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    there's adapters on amazon to take your new nano sim and put it in phones that require a micro sim or other size. But i switch between my phones all the time and all it takes is putting in your current SIM card