Good News !!! SIM CARD MOD IS HERE !!!

Search This thread

JoshinPl

Jun 26, 2012
And what kind of data you have to clone? Imei, phone number, etc? Why do you think that it possibly kill our sim card? ;p

Enviado desde mi U20i usando Tapatalk 2

Jun 18, 2009
Damn. On your picture i could see, that the chip has a size of the nano sim. The problem will be to get a nano sim reader... Did't find any replacement for the Iphone 5. And then the soldering. I hate Moto more and more ...

d0u8l3m

Oct 10, 2011
Question: what happens when you come back to the USA and wanna use sprint again. You cant resolder that chip back on can you?

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
I believe sprint cdma service works fine without any sim cards/chips inside the phone.

This ^^^^

CDMA providers don't use SIM cards, they never have. However, LTE does require a SIM, but this SIM is separate from the "Sprint" provided GSM SIM. That is for international roaming, under Sprint's rules. Now this guy can put whatever SIM in he wants, roam anywhere, and come back to the US and reactive the device on Sprint's network - assuming the ESN is clean, this should work no problems.

gTen

Feb 16, 2008
....Space for soldered sim is not problem... Problem is pace for sim card reader.

@ikv...diky kamo :)

Can't you just 3d print your own sim card reader? all it has to do is keep it in position so the pins touch, no? or even without a 3d printer what about using a nanosim to microsim adapter and soldering in the adapter. Then you can just snap in the nanosim inside the microsim adapter that is soldered in.

Otherwise considering the position, is not 3d printing another back cover to give more height clearance not an option? At same time it might be also possible to make the back cover removable so that battery can be swapped. (2 for 1 mod lol)

Maxpowersxp

Apr 13, 2009
whats the best way to remove the keyboard foil so that it can be re used.
when it is reused does it still work ok?
can the process be done maybe with the foil on?

ogrfnkl

Jul 11, 2010
Height: 1.8mm....and i have approx 0.8mm :(

Here is a 1.54mm high connector: alibaba.com/product-gs/501396356/SIM_0010_Micro_SIM_Card_holder.html
Still higher than .8 mm, though...

---------- Post added at 03:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

now is inside my test sim - so is soldered directly :)

edit...So only place, where can be added sim slot is here and only micro sim:

What about just below and to the left of where you suggested? Looks like there is enough place for it there, without having to rip out the shock foam.

---------- Post added at 04:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

Thanks to CornholioGSM for his help with my photon Q.
I just finish this modification as you can see in the picture.
There is enough space for slightly trimmed sim card.

It works perfectly!

Can't make out the exact wiring from the photo. Would you please post a diagram (or a description)? Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Photon Q - SIM CARD MOD
    This mod works on all gsm/umts networks - after edit NV on USA networks too.
    kabaldan : In cm-11.0 since Apr 30 2015, cm-12.0 since Feb 24 2015 or any cm-12.1/13.0 builds, you can execute 'unlock-us-gsm' command in a root enabled terminal emulator app or adb shell.

simmod.png

What is needed:
    Soldering Station, Hot Air Rework Station with Nozzle Straight approx Ø7mm Dia, Solder Flux (not important), Tweezer, Small wires (you can use bonding wire from old headphones), Screwdriver and Good Nerves

1001967g.jpg

Unsolder Metal Cover ans SIM IC:
    First remove keyboard foil to avoid damaging with the hot air!
    Set Hotair temperature to 420~430°C and pressure to thirt.
    ...on IC apply Flux
    Check video:

SIM Card Connection:
    Beznazvu02efd.png

MY FINAL PRODUCT VIDEO:
    Aml0N.jpg

if you want do this mod from me...just contact me via PM or my "photon q" email phqmod@gmail.com

...approx 600+ photons was modded by me :)

I GIVE FOR ALL XT897 MODDED BY ME WARRANTY FOR SIM MOD
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Special thanks to member ikv for lent his Photon Q for modding
    so if you want you can donate me
    Made In
    CzechStickFlag06.gif

Donated by:
    IKV
    Rennert X2
    Maxpowersxp
    abbie7
    Flintston314 X2
    NikolauZi X2
    dirkie_de
    Petra Gasnarkova
    intijk
    Adamoos
    Jordenlewis
    tarmokull
    Poursinet
    oTToToTenTanz
    Die Bruine
    LordMarty
    Micron
    crackerjack9249
    adisbladis
    Oleg Gorfinkel
    Gonzalo Gil
    Ales Bujnoch
    kubago
    aromenajla
    lilboogs
    .....and many many many more :)
    AT&T in the USA!

This guy right here is full of win:
    AFAIK, it's not SIM lock but a 'radio lock' - the Razr HD/M could read at&t sim card just fine as well, but it couldn't actually connect to the network (it behaved like the sim card was not activated by the operator).
    In any case, the NV Item 8322 is set to 1 on Photon Q (Sprint), so the connection to US GSM carriers is supposedly blocked.
    But the NV Item 8322 can be easily set to 0 e.g. using the RadioComm sw as described here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2166542
    So it's no big issue.

I had to actually run through this twice, possibly due to this:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38837493&postcount=8
    I went ahead and let it sit for a minute before rebooting the phone, and I used the phone itself to reboot, rather than RadioComm's restart button.

After modding NV Item 8322 that second time and rebooting, my freshly SIM slot modded Photon Q just made a phone call on AT&T in the USA. Am I first? :D
    Thanks to CornholioGSM for his help with my photon Q.
    I just finish this modification as you can see in the picture.
    There is enough space for slightly trimmed sim card.

It works perfectly!
    ...I ve made mod for user Flintston314.

there are pictures :
    simz.png
    ...Little upgrade :) :) :)

img20130103231544673.jpg

img20130103232045082.jpg