Google Maps Mobile without internet?

Search This thread

Sage

Dec 12, 2005
AU
Xiaomi Mi 11
Hey guys,

Just been trying to work this out.. I downloaded the app and using activesync internet managed to browse around without any issues..

During this time i am watching my phone through Explorer on my PC trying to see where the data is going. I browsed up 3MB of maps yet couldnt see where it was going..

i was thinking if i could find where the files were going maybe i could move them elsewhere or restrict google maps access in removing them at the end..

there is also this write up which could help..

http://uselessdiaries.blogspot.com/2008/03/download-free-maps-from-google-maps.html

Surely if anyone can work this out it has to be the guys here :)

Sage

Dec 12, 2005
AU
Xiaomi Mi 11
update:

Seems all its cache sits here:

\Application Data\GoogleMaps

Though appears to be limited to 2MB.. Which is no fun.. So seems if we can remove the 2mb limit on the cache we might be in business :)

invd

Aug 11, 2007
update:

Seems all its cache sits here:

\Application Data\GoogleMaps

Though appears to be limited to 2MB.. Which is no fun.. So seems if we can remove the 2mb limit on the cache we might be in business :)

Would be cool, if it works! Unfortunately I think, I can't help bc I'm not good at this development stuff...

HyoImowano

Apr 8, 2008
Sigonella, Italy
I tried digging through the registry a little bit and didn't see any settings for Google Maps there, I also didn't see any sort of ini file in the program folder itself. Unfortunately those are about the only ideas I have for this, though I would love to see a much larger cache pan out.

M.A.S.

Mar 15, 2006
I don't know why Google doesn't let us put the cache on the Storage Card by default.

It would be amazing...

:( :( :( :(

(sorry my bad english)

xplode

Dec 9, 2005
Nesebar
maybe some editing of the exe will allow it to look for the cache in storage card, and possible removing the cache size limit

kuifje_xda-developers

Dec 30, 2007
Why don't you use virtualearthmobile then?

It does almost the same thing, and with a few modifications would be perfect. Part of the code is open source I believe, check jason fuller's blog on msdn if you want.

wachkar

Nov 26, 2008
Google Navigator

There is a stand-alone application based on Google Maps called Google Navigator that could be found on pdafun.net
The problem is that it is not free.

FallenOne

Apr 19, 2008
Hi.
I used Google Navigato a lot in the past summer. I have to say even the free version works great. It is awsome. This is how I wanted Google Maps to work on my PDA. If you do not need gps navigation I can only recomend the programm. It works perfectly if you live in a big city and find your way around.