HTC Homeplug Weather fix - get your LOCAL weather! [New universal patch uploaded!]

Search This thread
Nov 28, 2007
Hi.
I have the original HTC Touch. I installed the TouchHTCHomeDLL and altered the xml file. soft reseted but the "select city" doesn't work. Then I installed the Sdk Certs. Soft reset. Still the same problem...

Thanks

Hmmn...that's interesting. I mistakenly installed the patch before the sdkcerts.cab as well. But then I uninstalled the the patch after that, installed sdkcerts.cab, and then installed the patch and got the same results, so I thought having installed the patch without the sdkcerts.cab hadn't made a difference, but maybe it did???

depro

Nov 28, 2005
yup. i lost the hability to change cities. I uninstalled the patch, restored the xml file as it was (removed the added lines) and... still stuck with the same city!
Anyway around this?
Thanks.

N2A

Hi.
I have the original HTC Touch. I installed the TouchHTCHomeDLL and altered the xml file. soft reseted but the "select city" doesn't work. Then I installed the Sdk Certs. Soft reset. Still the same problem...

Thanks

Okay. First of all, you should have installed SdkCerts.cab first, or it probably wouldn't have worked at all.

Secondly, please define "select city doesn't work". When you press it, does it come up with the box saying Select City? Is the list blank, or does it have anything in? I need a bit more detail than you're giving me here.

I'm *guessing* that you are getting an empty city list, which is normally a dead giveaway for a broken XML file (ie improper editing). Please confirm what you've done, either way.

N2A

thanks guy...it worked out...its like 2 degrees off but its good...

Heh.

Known Issues
  • The temperature in Farhenheit can occasionally be a degree or two out, as I convert from the Celsius scale. To get both readings would mean two calls to the server, which would be more work and bandwidth for my server. I'm sure you can live with a degree out occasionally.

Can you confirm though - has it worked for you? And what method did you use? I need confirmation that one of these methods has worked.

N2A

yup. i lost the hability to change cities. I uninstalled the patch, restored the xml file as it was (removed the added lines) and... still stuck with the same city!
Anyway around this?
Thanks.

Sounds like your XML file is corrupted mate, or has incorrect syntax somewhere - what did you use to edit it?

We could do with a "reference" copy of the new Vogue's XML file somewhere.

Last edited:

depro

Nov 28, 2005
Sounds like your XML file is corrupted mate, or has incorrect syntax somewhere - what did you use to edit it?

We could do with a "reference" copy of the new Vogue's XML file somewhere.

yes. the problem is the xml file. I installed the HTC_Touch_Home_Plugin_N2A_WeatherPatched.cab and i can noy choose a city with no problems. I used wordpad to edit the xml file and used reco explorer to move it from "my documents" to windows. Not only my added cities don't show up, as when I tap below "Weather" nothing and I mean nothing happens. Maybe I should use other soft to edit the xml file?

Last edited:

N2A

yes. the problem is the xml file. I installed the HTC_Touch_Home_Plugin_N2A_WeatherPatched.cab and i can noy choose a city with no problems. I used notepad to edit the xml file and used reco explorer to move it from "my documents" to windows. Not only my added cities don't show up, as when I tap below "Weather" nothing and I mean nothing happens. Maybe I should use other soft to edit the xml file?

I believe Notepad can do the job - personally I use Crimson Editor - but there's obviously something up with the syntax. I'm assuming you're copying another line, and replacing the data with your own.

There is always the other alternative if you don't get anywhere - install the Schen 2.1 patched version, and go from there. Either that, or I believe the HTC Home Customizer programs are capable of doing the editing for you.

depro

Nov 28, 2005
I believe Notepad can do the job - personally I use Crimson Editor - but there's obviously something up with the syntax. I'm assuming you're copying another line, and replacing the data with your own.

There is always the other alternative if you don't get anywhere - install the Schen 2.1 patched version, and go from there. Either that, or I believe the HTC Home Customizer programs are capable of doing the editing for you.

Can someone post here the original/unedited HH_0409_WeatherCities file? Thanks.

depro

Nov 28, 2005
SOLVED!!

It was the damn soft I used to edit the xml file. No problems whatsoever with Crimson Editor.
Thanks N2A and Sprinttouchguy.
depro

Nov 28, 2007
Had a feeling that'd happen, it's because it's in ROM. There is one other way of doing it - but it's not hugely pretty - which is using Resco Commander to "overwrite" the ROM DLL. All I can think of is that it's got something stopping it being overlayed, which is confusing as the Kaiser and Touch let me do it with a cabfile.

I've also an idea that it could be my fault because of a minor screwup with the cab INF setup, which I've now fixed.

I've re-uploaded the cabs, try them - if they don't work, try copying one of the DLLs to your device somewhere (e.g. my documents) and then using Resco Explorer to copy to \WINDOWS. I'd recommend not using the uncompressed one unless the normal compressed one doesn't work.

cab.gif
HTC Vogue / Sprint Touch Patched HTC Home DLL installer
cab.gif
HTC Vogue / Sprint Touch Patched HTC Home DLL installer (Uncompressed)

DLL files to attempt overlay into \WINDOWS if the above don't work:
cab.gif
HTC Vogue / Sprint Touch Patched DLL
cab.gif
HTC Vogue / Sprint Touch Patched DLL (Uncompressed)

Let me know how it goes.

Woo whoooooo! Your fix to the INF setup must have been the culprit, because my first attempt with the new HTC Vogue / Sprint Touch Patched HTC Home DLL installer worked like a charm. I've also verified that I am still able to sync with my exchange server at work, so I am VERY appreciative of your efforts! Simply fantastic.

I haven't tried the other files you posted ("...if it ain't broke..."), but I'd say it's safe to post the first cab on your first post. I'll be forwarding other Sprint Touch owners to your solution as well, so thanks for making this such an easy thing (relatively) to set up.

A

AnubisP3300

Hello to N2A and all the others that are hopefully going to help me. :)

I am posting this after I got the link to N2A's thread in my own thread.
So here is the situation:
I have an HTC P3300 aka Artemis, with the official HTC version of Windows Mobile 6.
Several months ago I have installed the 6tab-Homeplugin (original filename: "HTC.Kaiser.Home.Eng.0409.6Tab.schen"). Since I am living in Luxembourg, I had to edit the "HH_0409_WeatherCities" file.
For several months I downloaded the weather data through my router. Everything worked fine, until last week.
All of a sudden I had to re-enter the WPA-code to my router, no idea why. But since then I could not download any weather data, even for the other cities, originally in the HH-City List. (But the rest of the internet worked fine, also the QuickGPS).
I tried to re-install the plugin. The result: the weather tab stayed completly empty: the first row (where the city name should be) and the second bigger row (where the weather icons should be) were empty, even no text like "impossible to retrieve data"...nothing.
Could somebody tell me, why all of a sudden this doesn't work anymore? And what should I do to change it? I want to keep the 6Tab plugin (no 3 or 5 one, always the maximum lol)
Thanks in advance for your help.:)

N2A

Hello to N2A and all the others that are hopefully going to help me. :)

I am posting this after I got the link to N2A's thread in my own thread.
So here is the situation:
I have an HTC P3300 aka Artemis, with the official HTC version of Windows Mobile 6.
Several months ago I have installed the 6tab-Homeplugin (original filename: "HTC.Kaiser.Home.Eng.0409.6Tab.schen"). Since I am living in Luxembourg, I had to edit the "HH_0409_WeatherCities" file.
For several months I downloaded the weather data through my router. Everything worked fine, until last week.
All of a sudden I had to re-enter the WPA-code to my router, no idea why. But since then I could not download any weather data, even for the other cities, originally in the HH-City List. (But the rest of the internet worked fine, also the QuickGPS).
I tried to re-install the plugin. The result: the weather tab stayed completly empty: the first row (where the city name should be) and the second bigger row (where the weather icons should be) were empty, even no text like "impossible to retrieve data"...nothing.
Could somebody tell me, why all of a sudden this doesn't work anymore? And what should I do to change it? I want to keep the 6Tab plugin (no 3 or 5 one, always the maximum lol)
Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Did you install one of my cabs, or did you install the original Schen one and use an edit / customizer / pocket hosts customisation? I'm guessing that you were using the IP-based method, which I deactivated about a week ago.

If you're talking about the HTC-supplied city list, that's nothing to do with me.

A

AnubisP3300

The first file I used was the original shen cab, which I found somewhere on xda-developpers.com, and to add my city I had to edit the citylist.
Which one of your cabs is the 6tab which I can use on the P3300?
And what the SdkCerts.cab doing? Sorry I am a little bit new on this PDA matter. Thanks for your fast answer and help.

N2A

The first file I used was the original shen cab, which I found somewhere on xda-developpers.com, and to add my city I had to edit the citylist.
Which one of your cabs is the 6tab which I can use on the P3300?
And what the SdkCerts.cab doing? Sorry I am a little bit new on this PDA matter. Thanks for your fast answer and help.

Well, mine is specifically so you can add new cities which aren't on the HTC city list. You need to install the sdkcerts.cab file before attempting to install any of my patched versions.

Are you running Windows Mobile 5 or 6? I'm assuming 6, in which case after installing the sdkcerts.cab, you will want to uninstall your existing Schen cab, and install the Latest patched Schen 2.1 6-tab HTC Home - For Other Devices - UPX Compressed.

skeptik

Sep 15, 2007
SMS Button Bug?

I am fairly new to the PPC arena and am getting used to how progressive it is so bear with me.

I seem to be having a problem with the new HTC Home plugin. I have installed the HTC Home 2.1 for all other devices (Schen cab, WM6 only) on my PPC6800, commonly called a Titan or Mogul. I first installed the SdkCerts.cab and everything installed successfully. Weather works, display, etc...

However, when I tap on the SMS tab (one in the middle) it brings up BOTH my text message inbox and then brings up my account picker and chooses my last used account. Essentially, two programs are now running after I tap. I run a Threaded SMS customized for the 6800. When I access SMS through Programs or my softkey it pulls up just my inbox making me believe the Home plugin might be playing a part. Any suggestions would be welcome and I appreciate the time.

N2A

I am fairly new to the PPC arena and am getting used to how progressive it is so bear with me.

I seem to be having a problem with the new HTC Home plugin. I have installed the HTC Home 2.1 for all other devices (Schen cab, WM6 only) on my PPC6800, commonly called a Titan or Mogul. I first installed the SdkCerts.cab and everything installed successfully. Weather works, display, etc...

However, when I tap on the SMS tab (one in the middle) it brings up BOTH my text message inbox and then brings up my account picker and chooses my last used account. Essentially, two programs are now running after I tap. I run a Threaded SMS customized for the 6800. When I access SMS through Programs or my softkey it pulls up just my inbox making me believe the Home plugin might be playing a part. Any suggestions would be welcome and I appreciate the time.

To be honest, I've no idea - you'd be better asking on one of the original Schen thread, as this is nothing to do with my patches. I just made the weather work!

montagt

Dec 6, 2007
corrupt hh_0409_weathercities.xml file

I have been trying to add my city into the weathercities.xml file on my new HTC touch and it has not worked. (I am unable to see the weather from any city I choose) I think I may have corrupted the xml file and I didn't take a backup. Has anyone got a copy of one they can send me???

Can anyone help me?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    just tried the schen n2a patched .cab .
    htc home is there (although it starts a bit slower) but
    i cannot choose a city in the list (there are no entrys, it is empty)

also, there are so many files attached in your first post,
    but there are only two ways described. one of these cabs or what is called pocket hosts method.
    i didnt like both, but then used the kaiser withough brightness fix (for what? brightness? what needs to be fixed?)
    i was afraid, because there is no description how you can go back to the original htc home plugin, if those custom ones woudlnt work.

eg: what are those HTCHome dlls
    or the weathertranslator.zip
    for ?

ritterkeks

As I described on the first post, the weathertranslator.zip is the server code which translates the accuweather data - most users don't need it. If you have a kaiser, you don't need the brightness patch. If you have another device, you probably do need the brightness patch. It's one of the buttons on the Launcher. And if you've already got a HTC Home plugin installed in ROM, you just need to remove the new one and it'll revert.

I thought I quite clearly described it to be honest, and pretty much everything is covered over the posts. I'll see about creating a Wiki entry about all this.
    I installed the Kaiser DLL patch on my tilt and now after the reboot it goes to owner information screen then goes black. Then green and blue lights at the top flash but I can't get it to do anything. If I reset it, I have the same result.

I was able to enter bootloader and reflash the rom. Held down camera button and used the stylus to push the little reset button next to usb port. Then ran rom updater as normal

Same issue here flashed twice already.

Hope there's a fix