[Q] Power Issues... Even in recovery/download mode

Search This thread

dwrdbg

Aug 4, 2012
Phone randomly turns off/reboots (mostly reboots). Sometimes the phone won't go past the "SAMSUNG" screen on boot. I booted the phone into recovery and download mode multiple times but it'll reboot after a minute or two.

I've tried another battery and still had the same issue. I've removed the battery and held the power button down to discharge power. I've opened up the phone, blew the dust out, and made sure that the power button was not getting stuck. I'm fairly certain it's not a rogue app causing the issue, but I've factory reset the phone to stock.

Please advise!

Reactions: beantek

jdelano

Sep 10, 2010
Buford, GA
Phone randomly turns off/reboots (mostly reboots). Sometimes the phone won't go past the "SAMSUNG" screen on boot. I booted the phone into recovery and download mode multiple times but it'll reboot after a minute or two.

I've tried another battery and still had the same issue. I've removed the battery and held the power button down to discharge power. I've opened up the phone, blew the dust out, and made sure that the power button was not getting stuck. I'm fairly certain it's not a rogue app causing the issue, but I've factory reset the phone to stock.

Please advise!

if you have a sd card, sometimes a funky sd card will cause this as well. remove yours for a while to check if its causing your issue

Reactions: dwrdbg and beantek

Orion78

Nov 13, 2011
Philly
Sounds like the same problem I was having. Take your finger and lightly move it up and down over the power button.. if it acts up or reboots it could be the button issue..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

beantek

Aug 7, 2010
I was having the EXACT same issue. I thought it might be the recent upgrade to the cm11 nightlies since before it was once a week but now it's just non-stop. Is the issue the actual power button switch or the plastic buttons?

Sounds like the same problem I was having. Take your finger and lightly move it up and down over the power button.. if it acts up or reboots it could be the button issue..

Reactions: dwrdbg

Orion78

Nov 13, 2011
Philly

beantek

Aug 7, 2010
Fixed (kind of )

I've taken my phone apart before to replace the speaker/audio jack module after my headphone jack stopped working in one ear (also a common s3 problem). I did as suggested and added a piece of paper wedged in between the button and the button switch. Surprisingly the switch was perfectly clicky so any problem will have to be internally such as corrosion or just worn out. The problem seemed to have been fixed (kind of, not really) as the phone turned on and wouldn't freak out when I rubbed the power/hold button. I got all my data off the phone successfully. The buttons themselves are pretty cheap online but I don't want to have to solder considering I have an upgrade. I'll just get an S5 whenever they are available. Thanks for the help.

For me it was the power button itself.. Read my post on how to fix the issue yourself if you dont want to take your phone into Sprint

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2679936

Reactions: dwrdbg

dwrdbg

Aug 4, 2012
I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I determined that it was in fact a power button issue.

My "FIX" (for anyone with similar issues):

Temporary:
I removed the logic board from the phone and flicked the button up and down and that helped a little with the button's hypersensitivity. Because a slight tap would make the button "stick" and power off, I took apart the phone and physically removed the plastic power button. I could hit the button if necessary with a small screwdriver or my watch strap thingy, but I did my best to keep the battery from dying out. As for dealing with a lack of "lock" button, I installed an xposed module that let me remap my volume up button as a lock button.

Permanent:
My mother recently upgraded her phone and gave me her S3. Unfortunately it had a cracked screen. I removed her logic board and swapped it out with what was in phone and reactivated her phone as mine.

Thanks for everyone's help, and hopefully this can help someone else too!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Please advise!

if you have a sd card, sometimes a funky sd card will cause this as well. remove yours for a while to check if its causing your issue

I was having the EXACT same issue. I thought it might be the recent upgrade to the cm11 nightlies since before it was once a week but now it's just non-stop. Is the issue the actual power button switch or the plastic buttons?

For me it was the power button itself.. Read my post on how to fix the issue yourself if you dont want to take your phone into Sprint

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2679936

Please advise!