[Q] What are normal ping, down and up speeds?

Search This thread

thelowend

Jan 31, 2012
The cold part of Ohio
I just got around to downloading the speed test app to see how fast me x2 is and after the first test here is what I got:
Ping:19ms
Down:4989kbps
Up:703kbps

Now I dont know much but something tells me that up speed is a little low.
Im on cm7 with the Mash up script and wifi on.

Will the numbers be different if Im on 3G? Are these numbers even remotely good?

Many thanks to all!!

Pixelation

Jan 14, 2012
Jersey
Apps aren't always accurate. I'm not sure what you meant will it be different if I'm on 3G? Wifi and 3G will always differ, wifi is much faster depending on your provider, where 3g can lag at times
On 3g I usually hit 3d and 1 up
Where wifi I'm like 25 down 8 up out there about.
:) SMILE :) It's Not Illegal Yet :)

g0thm0g

Feb 20, 2012
Your ping time and up/down speeds can vary even when connected to the same tower or wifi network depending the congestion at any given time on the bandwidth provider's network, among other factors.

Your seemingly low upload speed could be attributed to other devices on the wifi network using the upload bandwidth allotted by the isp at the time you performed the speed test. It may also be the case the connection supplying the wifi network is 6Mbps down/1Mbps up. Your upload and download speeds while on wifi can only be as good as the connection from the isp regardless of the settings on your device or how many other devices are on the network.

For what it's worth, I have a Verizon 3G Network Extender plugged into my wireless router, meaning that both my WiFi and the Network Extender can only supply a connection that at best is only as fast as my cable modem's connection to Comcast. Eliminating all conflicting variables (e.g. no other devices on the network when running tests), my Droid X2's 3G upload and download speeds are consistently slower than when I'm on wifi.

19ms is a pretty good ping time, btw.

MunkinDrunky

Feb 25, 2012
I have also been curious and suspicious of my 3g data speeds. When I was stock and rooted with 2.3.4 I would get on average 20-30 kilobytes/sec in my house with a poorer signnal of -87dbm this is using speed test and checking the down up speeds with the mobile network app that puts the speeds up on the notification bar. I used that to monitor downloads and web browsing speeds which agreed well with speed test. In a good coverage area -67dbm I achieved pretty consistently 130-230 kilobytes/sec. I am now running eclipse 2.0.4 with CMDA build.prop edit to increase 3g speeds. I ve only noticed a doubling of speed when in -87dbma area nut otherwise I cannot achieve anyhigher than 300 kilobytes/sec. I wonder could my radio be weak or bad? I thought 3g speeds would but up to ~500 or greater in really good coverage areas.

thelowend

Jan 31, 2012
The cold part of Ohio
I have also been curious and suspicious of my 3g data speeds. When I was stock and rooted with 2.3.4 I would get on average 20-30 kilobytes/sec in my house with a poorer signnal of -87dbm this is using speed test and checking the down up speeds with the mobile network app that puts the speeds up on the notification bar. I used that to monitor downloads and web browsing speeds which agreed well with speed test. In a good coverage area -67dbm I achieved pretty consistently 130-230 kilobytes/sec. I am now running eclipse 2.0.4 with CMDA build.prop edit to increase 3g speeds. I ve only noticed a doubling of speed when in -87dbma area nut otherwise I cannot achieve anyhigher than 300 kilobytes/sec. I wonder could my radio be weak or bad? I thought 3g speeds would but up to ~500 or greater in really good coverage areas.

I never considered radio quality when I looked at my speeds. Exactly how one would go about checking ones radio quality is far beyond me. Its definitely something worth exploring (in my opinion)

MunkinDrunky

Feb 25, 2012
Right I would also need to test other 3g speeds on a different phone on the same networko in the same area to rule out network end probs. Plus I got my DROID x2 used so that might be it there. Also if the radio heats up from persistent use that might reduce efficiency and lower speeds.

theredvendetta

Apr 10, 2011
Those are fairly decent speeds. For a mobile device, that's about what I would expect. Your ping, 19ms, means that it takes .019 second to reach from your device to the Verizon servers, then to the servers of the sites you are accessing, and then finally back to your phone. Anything less than 80ms is considered good, so you have an excellent ping.

And to clarify, your upload speed will never be as high as your download speed. It's a throttling mechanism used by all (and I do mean all) internet providers of any kind to prevent things like hogging their bandwidth with torrents and the like. It's essentially an industry standard.

Last edited: