[Q] OTA updates after uprooting and reset?

Search This thread

madjinx

Jan 1, 2014
Does anyone know for sure if you can get OTA updates if you uproot and reset your tablet? Or is Knox being tripped the thing that causes you to not get OTA?

Thanks.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Depending on root method and version of recovery installed these tablets may complain that they're modified and refuse to update. Fundamentally though the cardinal rule of rooting Android devices is NEVER blindly search for and apply OTA updates once you're rooted unless you know what you're doing. There's no guarantee (other than Nexus devices) that a manufacturer isn't attempting to patch a root exploit as part of their OTA so there's risk of not only losing root but losing the ability to root in the future.

Here's another recent discussion on your question.

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-pro-12/general/rooted-updates-t2851529

madjinx

Jan 1, 2014
Just as an update, after unrooting and doing a factory restore on the tablet, it's still considered "modified" and won't download OTA updates. I guess it goes off knox being tripped. That's to bad. I was looking to sell mine, gonna be harder now.

Last edited:

cnote74

Nov 26, 2010
oklahoma city
My understanding is as long as your rooted with stock recovery you will still receive updates, my note 2 had knox tripped but was rooted with stock recovery and I was able to get AT&T kit Kat update.

madjinx

Jan 1, 2014
My understanding is as long as your rooted with stock recovery you will still receive updates, my note 2 had knox tripped but was rooted with stock recovery and I was able to get AT&T kit Kat update.

Doesn't seem to be the case with this tablet.

I have stock recovery, unrooted, and did a factory reset. It won't let me get OTA updates. Granted, I can still get them from Kies.

I could be missing something though, not sure what.