[ROM] EZbase v3.0 [25/04/2011] - odin / heimdall - Easy Full Graphical How-To

Search This thread

nitr8

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 24, 2006
Switzerland
EZbase.png

EZbase, is a fully deodexed and zipaligned pre rooted odin / heimdall image for people wanting to move from stock ROM's to custom ROM's. It used by a lot of people for a recovery image if it all goes wrong, simply flash this and you on a stock Samsung image with root and 2e recovery.

Still testing the new recovery & kernel so attached is a copy of EZbase with stock CWM Recovery, until the new recovery has been 100% tested!

Screenshots:

Main Recovery - Recovery Backup - Recovery Install - EZOdin

Features:

2usrmzx
Gingerbread & Froyo
2usrmzx
Simple Recovery Menu

Added:

2usrmzx
RomManager 3.0.xxx
2usrmzx
TitaniumBackup 3.7.2

Notes:
Please read the EZbase How-To v2.00 - http://nfye.eu/EZbase/i9000/EZbase-2.00.pdf

Donators:
36tewjo
Euphoria
36tewjo

Thanks To:
38736oc
RazvanG - 3-Button Combo Fix
38736oc
Tr0jAn - Testing & Documentation Review

Last edited:

nitr8

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 24, 2006
Switzerland
howto.png

This is a Step by Step guide how to flash EZbase to your Samsung Galaxy S.​

There are lots of different ways to flash ROMs to your Samsung Galaxy S, Personally I use heimdall but thats because I use *nix. I find this one to be easiest and fastest for windows users.

If you complete this guide there the worlds your oyster, simply copy different mods/ROMs to the SD Card and flash directly from there going back to your base at any time should you need to revert back.

If you have any issues what so ever, the best place to begin is a clean EZbase flash.

NOTE: No root or anything is required, you can simply do this on a stock Samsung ROM.

Contents
What you need
Flash EZbase
Install Custom ROM
Other Information
ADB - Android Debug Bridge
Enable Debugging Mode
Mass Storage
Download Mode
Recovery Mode
3-Button Combo Fix

Warning!
There have been many reports about a problematic batch of Samsung Galaxy S phones that are not able to boot into recovery or download mode. If you are going to flash a ROM please make sure you can enter these modes before doing ANYTHING. See the 3-button combo fix if you cannot access Recovery Mode.

What you need:

Nice to Have

Download all the EZOdin, EZbase CSC, PDA, PHONE and PIT if you do not have Samsung Kies installed, The Samsung USB Drivers will be required to. For simplicity sake place all the files into a single directory e.g. c:\toolkit\ however they can be placed where you like, hopefully in the future I might get all the requirements into an installer.

If you do not have Samsung Kies installed please install the Samsung USB Drivers and make sure your device is recognised by the OS. Once all the pre requisites have been fulfilled, then please continue to Step One or Step Two. If Samsung Kies is used please make sure you kill all Samsung Kies related services that are running (kies, tray agent, etc.)

Check that your phone has sufficient power, unplug your phone if it is plugged into USB or wall charger. Type *#0228# in to the dialler and check Voltage is at least 3800(mV).

Flash EZbase

Repartition is not mandatory, but it does not hurt to repartition the phone.

• Start Phone in Download Mode (No Cable Attached)
  • Open EZOdin.
  • - Check Re-Partition
  • - Select EZbase.pit as PIT
  • - Select EZbase-PDA-XWJS3.tar.md5 as PDA
  • - Select EZbase-PHONE-XXJVE.tar.md5 as PHONE
  • - Select EZbase-CSC-XXJV1.tar.md5 as CSC
    img1.png
  • Connect Phone with USB Cable - Once ID:COM is yellow you are safe to continue.
    img2.png
  • Select Start
    img3.png
  • Complete, now wait for your phone to fully start-up before you continue with anything.

Install Custom ROM

Copy the ROM onto the Internal SD Card. This can be done via adb or placing your phone in USB debug mode and mounting the USB as storage.
  • Reboot the phone in recovery mode
  • Select "Install ZIP File"
    img4.png
  • Select "choose zip from sdcard"
    img5.png
  • Select "insanity-0.x.x.zip"
    img6.png
  • Select "Yes - Install"
    img7.png
  • Wait a while it installs the new ROM.
    img8.png
  • Select "Reboot Phone"
    img9.png
NOTE: As this is a de-odex`d ROM, First boot will take some time.

Other Information

To use the Android Debug Bridge you need to enable Debugging Mode first. Once enabled you will be able to use ADB and do a number of things.

Enable Debugging Mode
  • Press "Menu"
  • Select "Settings"
    img10.png
  • Select "Applications"
    img11.png
  • Select "Development"
    img12.png
  • Check "USB debugging"
    img13.png
  • Select "Yes"
    img14.png
  • Connect the phone to the USB cable and plug the other end directly into the PC.

NOTE: The computer should start installing the necessary ADB drivers. A total of three devices will be installed (Samsung Android Composite ADB Interface, Samsung Android USB Modem, Samsung USB Composite Device.

You should also now see two icons in the notification area.
img15.png

Mass Storage

It is possible to mount the internal SD and microSD card as storage on your local pc, this is useful if you do not wish to use adb to copy files around.

If you wish to use your device as Mass Storage:
  • Pull down the notification area
  • Select "USB connected"
    img16.png
  • Select "Connect USB storage"
    img17.png
    You should now be able to see your device in explorer
    img18.png
    You should always safely eject the storage
  • Select "Turn Off"
img19.png

Download Mode

To enter download mode, you hold the Volume Down + Home + Power. See image bellow:

Recovery Mode
To enter download mode, you hold the Volume Up + Home + Power See image bellow:

img20.png

3-Button Combo Fix

You will need the following:

How To Check is Phone is Compatible:
  • adb shell
  • $ su (a superuser request will be displayed on the phone screen, accept it).
  • # dd if=/dev/block/bml1 of=/sdcard/bml1.dump
  • # exit
  • C:\adb pull /sdcard/bml1.dump
  • Open the bml1.dump file with XVI32.
  • - Search (in ASCII Mode) for OFNI.

If the block reads "!@" just follow the tutorial below, as it is safe to fix.

NOTE: If it reads "x0" then STOP as this FiX will BRICK your phone if applied.

• Open EZOdin
  • - Select the "P-SBL.tar.md5" as PDA file.
  • - Check "Bootloader Update"
    img20.png
  • Connect Phone with USB Cable and place phone in download mode (ADB method)
  • Once "ID:COM" is yellow you are safe to continue.
    img2.png
  • Select "Start"
    img3.png
NOTE: It should take three seconds to complete. After the update phone will reboot automatically. Do this at your own risk!

Last edited:

WhiteHartMart

Jun 7, 2008
Cornwall, UK
Great stuff - used EZBase earlier before flashing Insanity 0.6.6.

Like rixsta will use this method before future Rom flashes :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

uppon2

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 27, 2010
As always if you need any help man give me a call

TrOjAnUK

Sep 28, 2009
Essex
Nice you're pulling this up now! ;)
I wondered, why you didn't release this.

Cheers,
Joël

It was ready a while back, we was about to do it and then a new firware came out and it got put on the back burner ;)

My phone was on 6.6 but as it needed testing I redid it as per the written instructions just so we knew it worked 100%

IF people follow the guide then they SHOULD get a 100% working insanity rom with no hassle.. (we live in hope :D)

TrOjAn

G

GuestX0057

Thanks for this, it's a nice initiative. I've been doing the same, just with different files from samfirmwares + I've needed to install a kernel to get easy access to root + cwm so this lets me skip that part

One thing though, you might want to either put this in your guide, or alternatively modify the app, but that Odin you have is version 1.7.. which has given me trouble (Windows 7, 32bit) in the past. Odin 1.82 works fine so just as a tip for people who might have problems getting odin to work :)

Aside from that this is a great idea!

TrOjAnUK

Sep 28, 2009
Essex
One thing though, you might want to either put this in your guide, or alternatively modify the app, but that Odin you have is version 1.7.. which has given me trouble (Windows 7, 32bit) in the past. Odin 1.82 works fine so just as a tip for people who might have problems getting odin to work :)

Aside from that this is a great idea!

Hmm.. strange, Im on 1.7 Windows 7 32bit and I have not seen any issues.

What sort of issues have you had??

TrOjAn

G

GuestX0057

Hmm.. strange, Im on 1.7 Windows 7 32bit and I have not seen any issues.

What sort of issues have you had??

TrOjAn

odin either not connecting or just standing there doing nothing, never found out why but after using 1.82 its worked fine so I never felt like going back :p

and your files work with the standard odin anyway so it's not a big deal :)

TrOjAnUK

Sep 28, 2009
Essex
odin either not connecting or just standing there doing nothing, never found out why but after using 1.82 its worked fine so I never felt like going back :p

and your files work with the standard odin anyway so it's not a big deal :)

Yes I have has similar like that happen as it goes, re installing the drivers normally fixed it:)

Anyway, glad you like it.. hopefully more will find the benifits of EZBase

TrOjAn

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EZbase.png

EZbase, is a fully deodexed and zipaligned pre rooted odin / heimdall image for people wanting to move from stock ROM's to custom ROM's. It used by a lot of people for a recovery image if it all goes wrong, simply flash this and you on a stock Samsung image with root and 2e recovery.

Still testing the new recovery & kernel so attached is a copy of EZbase with stock CWM Recovery, until the new recovery has been 100% tested!

Screenshots:

Main Recovery - Recovery Backup - Recovery Install - EZOdin

Features:

2usrmzx
    Gingerbread & Froyo
    2usrmzx
    Simple Recovery Menu

Added:

2usrmzx
    RomManager 3.0.xxx
    2usrmzx
    TitaniumBackup 3.7.2

Notes:
    Please read the EZbase How-To v2.00 - http://nfye.eu/EZbase/i9000/EZbase-2.00.pdf

Donators:
    36tewjo
    Euphoria
    36tewjo

Thanks To:
    38736oc
    RazvanG - 3-Button Combo Fix
    38736oc
    Tr0jAn - Testing & Documentation Review
    howto.png

This is a Step by Step guide how to flash EZbase to your Samsung Galaxy S.​

There are lots of different ways to flash ROMs to your Samsung Galaxy S, Personally I use heimdall but thats because I use *nix. I find this one to be easiest and fastest for windows users.

If you complete this guide there the worlds your oyster, simply copy different mods/ROMs to the SD Card and flash directly from there going back to your base at any time should you need to revert back.

If you have any issues what so ever, the best place to begin is a clean EZbase flash.

NOTE: No root or anything is required, you can simply do this on a stock Samsung ROM.

Contents
    What you need
    Flash EZbase
    Install Custom ROM
    Other Information
    Enable Debugging Mode
    Mass Storage
    Download Mode
    Recovery Mode
    3-Button Combo Fix

Warning!
    There have been many reports about a problematic batch of Samsung Galaxy S phones that are not able to boot into recovery or download mode. If you are going to flash a ROM please make sure you can enter these modes before doing ANYTHING. See the 3-button combo fix if you cannot access Recovery Mode.

What you need:

Nice to Have

Download all the EZOdin, EZbase CSC, PDA, PHONE and PIT if you do not have Samsung Kies installed, The Samsung USB Drivers will be required to. For simplicity sake place all the files into a single directory e.g. c:\toolkit\ however they can be placed where you like, hopefully in the future I might get all the requirements into an installer.

If you do not have Samsung Kies installed please install the Samsung USB Drivers and make sure your device is recognised by the OS. Once all the pre requisites have been fulfilled, then please continue to Step One or Step Two. If Samsung Kies is used please make sure you kill all Samsung Kies related services that are running (kies, tray agent, etc.)

Check that your phone has sufficient power, unplug your phone if it is plugged into USB or wall charger. Type *#0228# in to the dialler and check Voltage is at least 3800(mV).

Flash EZbase

Repartition is not mandatory, but it does not hurt to repartition the phone.

• Start Phone in Download Mode (No Cable Attached)
    • Open EZOdin.
    • - Check Re-Partition
    • - Select EZbase.pit as PIT
    • - Select EZbase-PDA-XWJS3.tar.md5 as PDA
    • - Select EZbase-PHONE-XXJVE.tar.md5 as PHONE
    • - Select EZbase-CSC-XXJV1.tar.md5 as CSC
      img1.png
    • Connect Phone with USB Cable - Once ID:COM is yellow you are safe to continue.
      img2.png
    • Select Start
      img3.png
    • Complete, now wait for your phone to fully start-up before you continue with anything.

Install Custom ROM

Copy the ROM onto the Internal SD Card. This can be done via adb or placing your phone in USB debug mode and mounting the USB as storage.
    • Reboot the phone in recovery mode
    • Select "Install ZIP File"
      img4.png
    • Select "choose zip from sdcard"
      img5.png
    • Select "insanity-0.x.x.zip"
      img6.png
    • Select "Yes - Install"
      img7.png
    • Wait a while it installs the new ROM.
      img8.png
    • Select "Reboot Phone"
      img9.png
    NOTE: As this is a de-odex`d ROM, First boot will take some time.

Other Information

To use the Android Debug Bridge you need to enable Debugging Mode first. Once enabled you will be able to use ADB and do a number of things.

Enable Debugging Mode
    • Press "Menu"
    • Select "Settings"
      img10.png
    • Select "Applications"
      img11.png
    • Select "Development"
      img12.png
    • Check "USB debugging"
      img13.png
    • Select "Yes"
      img14.png
    • Connect the phone to the USB cable and plug the other end directly into the PC.

NOTE: The computer should start installing the necessary ADB drivers. A total of three devices will be installed (Samsung Android Composite ADB Interface, Samsung Android USB Modem, Samsung USB Composite Device.

You should also now see two icons in the notification area.
    img15.png

Mass Storage

It is possible to mount the internal SD and microSD card as storage on your local pc, this is useful if you do not wish to use adb to copy files around.

If you wish to use your device as Mass Storage:
    • Pull down the notification area
    • Select "USB connected"
      img16.png
    • Select "Connect USB storage"
      img17.png
      You should now be able to see your device in explorer
      img18.png
      You should always safely eject the storage
    • Select "Turn Off"
    img19.png

Download Mode

To enter download mode, you hold the Volume Down + Home + Power. See image bellow:

Recovery Mode
    To enter download mode, you hold the Volume Up + Home + Power See image bellow:

img20.png

3-Button Combo Fix

You will need the following:

How To Check is Phone is Compatible:
    • adb shell
    • $ su (a superuser request will be displayed on the phone screen, accept it).
    • # dd if=/dev/block/bml1 of=/sdcard/bml1.dump
    • # exit
    • C:\adb pull /sdcard/bml1.dump
    • Open the bml1.dump file with XVI32.
    • - Search (in ASCII Mode) for OFNI.

If the block reads "!@" just follow the tutorial below, as it is safe to fix.

NOTE: If it reads "x0" then STOP as this FiX will BRICK your phone if applied.

• Open EZOdin
    • - Select the "P-SBL.tar.md5" as PDA file.
    • - Check "Bootloader Update"
      img20.png
    • Connect Phone with USB Cable and place phone in download mode (ADB method)
    • Once "ID:COM" is yellow you are safe to continue.
      img2.png
    • Select "Start"
      img3.png
    NOTE: It should take three seconds to complete. After the update phone will reboot automatically. Do this at your own risk!
    Reserved

Reserved Number 2
    Reserved

Reserved 10 Chars