Looking for opinions on camera, especially from parents

Search This thread

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
Hello, all.
I'm looking at getting a N3 and am currently using a N2. The camera of my smartphone has become an increasingly important feature now that I have kids, the main targets of my picture taking. I have a 2 year old and a 3 month old. As some of you know, toddlers move A LOT. I'm wondering if anyone can chime in on using the N3 camera for photos of kids and if not, just looking for opinions on the camera in general. If you previously used a N2, I'd be interested to hear how you think the two compare. Thanks!

bskarpa

Nov 28, 2011
Houston
I have a 6yr old and take pics of her all the time. The camera works perfectly and is much better than the Note 2 (which I also had). I think you will be pleased with it over all. You can also take video in 4K resolution. I did this at night (had some lighting) and turned out awesome. It's been a while since I've taken picks with my N2 (still have it) but the N3 can take pics at 13mp (13mp is not wide screen 9.6mp is though). I also have the gear and use it quit often to take those "quick moment" pics and it takes great photos as well.

Take a sec and hit thanks if I helped or if you're in a good mood!

pwhitersxs

Dec 15, 2008
Hi mlin, the pictures on this phone can be amazing. Having said that I gotta say that I enjoyed the camera on the note 2 a little better.

The reason being is the stabilization they use is not good for snapping a quick picture. So you have to turn that off and most of the time I go into sports mode to take a picture of my kid. So while the note 3 does take better overall pictures it is a lot of hassle to get the settings right. Plus for me the camera never stays on sports mode. But one bonus is the stabilization feature does take better night time shots on the note 3.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: mlin

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
I have a 6yr old and take pics of her all the time. The camera works perfectly and is much better than the Note 2 (which I also had). I think you will be pleased with it over all. You can also take video in 4K resolution. I did this at night (had some lighting) and turned out awesome. It's been a while since I've taken picks with my N2 (still have it) but the N3 can take pics at 13mp (13mp is not wide screen 9.6mp is though). I also have the gear and use it quit often to take those "quick moment" pics and it takes great photos as well.

Thanks for the input!

Hi mlin, the pictures on this phone can be amazing. Having said that I gotta say that I enjoyed the camera on the note 2 a little better.

The reason being is the stabilization they use is not good for snapping a quick picture. So you have to turn that off and most of the time I go into sports mode to take a picture of my kid. So while the note 3 does take better overall pictures it is a lot of hassle to get the settings right. Plus for me the camera never stays on sports mode. But one bonus is the stabilization feature does take better night time shots on the note 3.

This is a little of what I was afraid of, I was reading that the picture to picture times were slower than the N2. Is the pic-to-pic time faster with stabilization off?

pwhitersxs

Dec 15, 2008
With stabilization off and in sports mode the camera reminded me of the note 2. I remember my note 2 snapped pictures quickly and in focus. The focus is not as good on the note 3.

Reactions: darkblond and mlin

bskarpa

Nov 28, 2011
Houston
Thanks for the input!

This is a little of what I was afraid of, I was reading that the picture to picture times were slower than the N2. Is the pic-to-pic time faster with stabilization off?

Here's a pic I took of my daughter riding her bike. This was taken in "Auto" mode.

Attachments

• 1389990754344.jpg
    1389990754344.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 83

bskarpa

Nov 28, 2011
Houston
That picture looks a lot better on my phone than the one I uploaded for some reason. I can zoom in way more and can even read the Hello Kitty name on her elbow pads

hctimin

Jan 13, 2011
Personally the camera is the weakest part of an otherwise perfect phone.

I had an iPhone 5 before and felt that I was able to take better pictures all around with that phone.

That being said, this phone does take great pictures in well lit areas. Pictures and videos that I took while snowboarding look phenomenal [again, well lit areas].

However, I am one of THOSE people that share what I eat, and in turn take pictures of food [don't kill me] in low light areas. There are times when the camera works well, and others where I get flatter/grainier results.

I love the phone, and just wish that Samsung put in a larger sensor to capture more light. First world problems for me. Hoping that the camera gets beefed up in the Note 4,...which I will get without a second thought!

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
The camera on the n3 is better when set up correctly...I still like the N2 camera tho for its ease of use.

dwkeepinup

Feb 14, 2012
I have to say that I hate the camera on this phone. Not that you can't get great pics, but my kid is almost 2 and maybe 20% of the pics I get are good. Video just can't seem to stay focused on her when she's moving. The droid DNA camera handled kids much better. I don't fiddle with camera settings much although on this phone,I put it in sports mode to give myself at least a chance of catching the moments when they happen. I do notice that sports mode pics aren't as nice and vibrant.
Was contemplating getting a droid maxx cuz I was so annoyed at this camera and wanted the nifty voice activation features...

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

How do you have yours set up?

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
With stabilization off and in sports mode the camera reminded me of the note 2. I remember my note 2 snapped pictures quickly and in focus. The focus is not as good on the note 3.

Thanks, I ended up getting the N3 and so far have been really pretty happy with the camera. Having stabilization on really kills any opportunity to capture multiple pics in succession but I noticed with it off and in decent light, the pics still turn out pretty nice.

Here's a pic I took of my daughter riding her bike. This was taken in "Auto" mode.

Thanks for sharing the pic.

I had an iPhone 5 before and felt that I was able to take better pictures all around with that phone.

That being said, this phone does take great pictures in well lit areas. Pictures and videos that I took while snowboarding look phenomenal [again, well lit areas].

However, I am one of THOSE people that share what I eat, and in turn take pictures of food [don't kill me] in low light areas. There are times when the camera works well, and others where I get flatter/grainier results.

I love the phone, and just wish that Samsung put in a larger sensor to capture more light. First world problems for me. Hoping that the camera gets beefed up in the Note 4,...which I will get without a second thought!

I did take a pic in a dark restaurant the other night and while the picture wasn't noisy or grainy, the lighting turned out really weird. I guess this camera isn't as dummy proof as say the camera in the iPhone, S3 or N2, but it certainly has potential to be really great. I've taken some amazingly clear pics with it so far.

The camera on the n3 is better when set up correctly...I still like the N2 camera tho for its ease of use.

Do you have recommendations for good universal settings?

I have to say that I hate the camera on this phone. Not that you can't get great pics, but my kid is almost 2 and maybe 20% of the pics I get are good. Video just can't seem to stay focused on her when she's moving. The droid DNA camera handled kids much better. I don't fiddle with camera settings much although on this phone,I put it in sports mode to give myself at least a chance of catching the moments when they happen. I do notice that sports mode pics aren't as nice and vibrant.
Was contemplating getting a droid maxx cuz I was so annoyed at this camera and wanted the nifty voice activation features...

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

How do you have yours set up?

My 2 year old daughter is by far the most difficult subject for pictures. So far I've been pretty happy with the pics of her that I've captured, and they're certainly as good or better than what I was able to get with my N2 but there is definitely room for improvement, I'll let you know if I find good reliable settings for capturing good pics of an active toddler.

Reactions: bskarpa

bskarpa

Nov 28, 2011
Houston
Best bet is just to mess around with it and take pics in different lighting like you have and change settings to see what works best. Glad ya like it so far though. I've had mine since release and still think it's an awesome phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for the input!