Droid 4 Update

Search This thread

PyroHoltz

Dec 15, 2010
Denver, CO
I was new to TB Pro prior to applying this update. I had many apps frozen but did NOT unfreeze them before applying the update. The update went 100% smooth and no issues.

Are we sure that unfreezing is necessary? Maybe only if the update is OTA initialized and not updating manually using recover?

Anyone, feel free to chime in and give your thoughts.

Malnodnarb

Apr 2, 2011
I followed the instructions in the Development Thread by Omniuni and it worked like a charm. I was rooted with Safestrap installed. Backed up Root with Voodoo, unfroze my apps. Installed update from SD and voila. Restored my root with voodoo.

Montecarlo97z

Sep 27, 2010
i still cant get this to work, can u not instal this while safestrap is enabled and a rom loaded? it fails during verification, nothing removed or frozen...

The Magician Type 0

Oct 11, 2011
i still cant get this to work, can u not instal this while safestrap is enabled and a rom loaded? it fails during verification, nothing removed or frozen...

I don't believe this can be applied to your safe-system. I'm fairly certain it has to be applied to your primary system. I asked earlier if the update could be carried over, my primary is on .219 but my safe-system is on .215 and I don't have a solution.

Sent from my DROID4 using Carrier Pigeons

rumgool

Feb 16, 2012
GAINESVILLE
Lost root after OTA update

Hey guys,

I downloaded the OTA (yes OTA not manual) update last week for the soak test. I accepted the OTA update while rooted (and I had safestrap).

My problem is that now my device is not rooted (although i still have superuser.apk). Also, mattlgroff's droid 4 utility will not grant me root either even though it says root successful. Here is what the utility displays.

Motorola universal root script
by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)

Tested on Droid 3, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR, and Droid 4

Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that your
device is in charge only mode, and your phone is connected via USB.

Press any key to continue . . .
Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
Device found.
Deploying payload...
2101 KB/s (359392 bytes in 0.166s)
Owning phone...
Waiting for phone to reboot.
Root successful! Persisting...
remount succeeded
1242 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.017s)
link failed File exists
4273 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.426s)
4686 KB/s (843503 bytes in 0.175s)
Cleaning up...
Rebooting...
Exploit complete!

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
Wipe data and cache and reroot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rumgool

Feb 16, 2012
GAINESVILLE
Safestrap does not work either... so just do a factory reset?

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Wipe data and cache and reroot.

This did not work. I did a factory reset and re-ran the exploit with no luck. I still have superuser.apk in my system/app folder which is read only with a modified date of 2-10-2012 (when i originally rooted my phone). So, I did a factory reset and still no root? Any other ideas?

rumgool

Feb 16, 2012
GAINESVILLE
Adb push the su binary

When I try this:

adb push su /system/bin

I get failed to copy 'su' to '/system/bin/su' : Read-only file system

So, the exploit is not working. So, does this mean Motorola updated something to prevent our root method from working in this latest release, or is this a result of me updating while rooted? I want to say the former, since the exploit is unable to get write access (my superuser.apk modified date is 2-10-2012)

Last edited:

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
Adb remount system needs to be put in first before you push

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

rumgool

Feb 16, 2012
GAINESVILLE
Adb remount system needs to be put in first before you push

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Well, I tried running through that process and adb pushing the motofail files and trying to run them that way, but couldnt get write access to remount or /system/bin but then after resetting data/cache I got the root to fail with errors of read only access. I then ran the unroot process and was able to remove my superuser.apk and su binary. I reset data/cache again, and got the exploit to work.
I haz root! Thanks for the help

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
Yup, followed the directions to a t. Used voodoo, unfroze apps, stock recovery.
Having the same problem. I backed up root with Voodoo, unfroze bloatware, and have stock recovery. The update stops at about 25% then reboots and says "The software update failed!"

No idea what the problem is :/

svrnmnd

Dec 1, 2008
i just got an update today but it downloads 215 not 219.

CAP201204191638.jpg

Sent from my DRIOD 4 Husky Edition
I got this update automaticly too, I just clicked install , it didn't work. I have my phone rooted and safestrap installed (although I havent installed a second system yet) Where is the update downloaded to so I can unfreeze my frozen apps and try again? also how would I remove safestrap??

The Magician Type 0

Oct 11, 2011
I got this update automaticly too, I just clicked install , it didn't work. I have my phone rooted and safestrap installed (although I havent installed a second system yet) Where is the update downloaded to so I can unfreeze my frozen apps and try again? also how would I remove safestrap??

If these work like the Cheesecake app, i think they're stored in your /cache. If nothing else you can just downloaded it to your sd-card from one of the many many topics from here or Droid Forums, Rootzwiki, etc. To unistall safestrap make sure you're on your non-safe system, open the app, and uninstall the recovery.

Sent from my DROID4 using Carrier Pigeons

Fuddster

Oct 11, 2011
New Jersey
I received the update OTA about an hour ago.

I have a stock, rooted D4, so I hit the button to update later, ran a TB backup, performed a temp unroot with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, then triggered the OTA update manually.

Once the phone booted back up, I went in the settings to verify the system version number, then I opened Voodoo OTA again and restored root.

Thanks to everyone for the easy steps to follow.

svrnmnd

Dec 1, 2008
Which one is the non-safe system? I never installed a second system, so if I reboot into safestrap is that how I in install it? Or do I just uninstall by opening the safestrap app on my menu? I have never dealt with safestrap on previous phones sorry

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
Which one is the non-safe system? I never installed a second system, so if I reboot into safestrap is that how I in install it? Or do I just uninstall by opening the safestrap app on my menu? I have never dealt with safestrap on previous phones sorry

Did you actually install safestrap recovery or just the safestrap app? The whole purpose of the safestrap app is just to install safestrap recovery. So, if you installed safestrap recovery via the safestrap app, you will open the safestrap app on and uninstall safestrap recovery. If you never installed the recovery than you don't need to worry about it. As for manually installing the update that would need to be done through stock recovery.

azrael293

Does anyone have the stock apk files for backup assistant?

I keep failing the update because I had deleted the backupassistantclient.apk file. I assume I'll likely need all of the original stock apps but I figure I'll go step by step. I am attempting to unzip them from the stock rom that is in the dev forum. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

tpjets62

Mar 29, 2012
Albany, NY
www.hytechnet.com
I received the update OTA about an hour ago.

I have a stock, rooted D4, so I hit the button to update later, ran a TB backup, performed a temp unroot with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, then triggered the OTA update manually.

Once the phone booted back up, I went in the settings to verify the system version number, then I opened Voodoo OTA again and restored root.

Thanks to everyone for the easy steps to follow.

Same here....I let my phone download the file, then I postponed the install. Did a temp. unroot with Voodoo then let the update run. Restored root and all is well. So far no problems but I'll have push it a few days to see what happens.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The download has been pulled anyone have this file they can upload elsewhere?

http://db.tt/YIiI5SU3

Fastboot/Stock Recovery

To reset the data/cache you need to load into fastboot recovery. To do so:

1. Turn off your Droid 4
    2. Power on your Droid 4 while holding both volume keys in
    3. Your Droid 4 will boot into Fastboot (black and whit menu)
    4. It sounds funny, but press volume down, and then volume up and the screen will change to the motorola dual core logo(like 30 seconds), then load the android with a caution sign.
    5. At the android caution screen, simultaneously press the volume up and down buttons.
    6. Voila, you are in stock recovery, and you can wipe data/cache, or apply OTA updates manually. The volume keys control "UP" and "DOWN", whereas the power button acts as "ENTER"

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Basically what I did though, was mess around until I got the unroot exploit to make my superuser.apk dissappear. That is the key, once you are completely unrooted with no superuser.apk, you should be able to run the root exploit again.
    I wonder.... when you run the exploits, are you making sure your phone is in charge-only mode, and the screen is unlocked and on. Also, when it reboots, make sure to unlock your screen as well. I know it sounds silly, but hey, I felt it was hopeless in your situation and got root back, so GOOD LUCK!
    I'm new to this, what do you mean "fix the permissions?" My phone is rooted, so is this something that has to do with Superuser, or the build.prop itself?
    Ahh sorry I didn't reply quicker, just got back from dinner. If you notice when you look at the build.prop file in Root Explorer, it will have "permissions" listed next to it. The permissions for the build.prop file should be "rw-r--r--" but rumgool's file has permissions "---rwxr-x"

When you copy it over to the system folder, click "Mount R/W" then paste/overwrite the build.prop file, then long press the file and click "Permissions." Make sure all three boxes under the "Read" column are checked, and also that the first box (Owner) under "Write" is checked, and everything else is unchecked, then press OK.

Then make sure the permissions for the build.prop file now say "rw-r--r--" and hit the "Mount R/O" button.

Let us know if that helps