Need Help With Soft Brick

Search This thread
Feb 28, 2012
Hello,

I recently borrowed my roommate's Verizon S4 because my phone broke. I rooted it because I have a different provider.

However, in my root addicted mind-set, I decided to get a custom ROM installed and so I tried to download recovery. This phone was running 5.0.1.

Upon downloading a recovery, the phone soft-bricked. It shows the Samsung logo with a wrench, and makes an error message when attempting to boot.

I tried using Odin to flash the stock firmware, but I kept getting the following error:
<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1005)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/003> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/003> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/003> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/003> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I've searched long and far and have yet to find a solution. I know that the reason for this issue is most likely due to the 5.0.1. build, but I was hoping that maybe something had developed in the last few months.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Also, I am not able to boot into recovery, but I am able to boot into download mode - I also reinstalled the Samsung drivers, and am using Odin 10.6. I tried using the ME7 firmware, but that didn't lead to much either.

I recently found a Verizon Software Assistant file and my phone won't be recognized on the application. Not sure what next steps are. I posted on reddit too, and no luck there either.

Last edited: