[MOD] I9000 *matte* skin and accurate battery *10/5/2010*

Search This thread

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
First and foremost, this would not have originally been possible without all the hard work zimphishmonger and the3dman13 did to bring fighspit's original battery mod to the vibrant, please see the original thread here, and give them some thanks! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=756441

I'm also borrowing zimphishmonger's warning, as i think it works to keep warning messages standard across all these battery mod threads.

WARNING: ALWAYS make a nandroid backup prior to installing any modification, including this one. You are making the decision to install this on your own, and I am not responsible for anything nuclear that may happen to your device.

UPDATE.. I lost count (10/5/2010)

So I dig Eugene's Frankin-twiz rom's, but I still want to keep my accurate battery mod, and well, I think his glossy-black skin is ugly. I also think the stock vibrant touchwiz skin is ugly (for the love of all that's holy samsung, why did you decide the vibrant would be the ONLY galaxy s phone to get your stupid glossy version of touchwiz?!)

So, I ported my battery mod to frankin-twiz and at the same time, ripped all the matte (non glossy) drawable's from the I9000 touchwiz skin, and added in my colored status/signal, mms, calendar, music player, and gmail icons, restored the black background for the power control widget, added HTC's weather icons to GenieWidget.apk, changed to the stock I9000 bootup and shutdown animation and sounds, and of course, I probably missed something else too, lol. You can see some (semi-outdated) screenshots here: http://picasaweb.google.com/113127051130934911253/AndroidStuff?feat=directlink

Also, if you find yourself being a typography nerd like me, you can use this zip to switch the default system font to Comfortaa I take NO CREDIT WHATSOEVER for making the original font, or the android port, I only re-packaged the files into a Clockwork-mod zip file for the vibrant. This will also change the lockscreen clock font to comfortaa, but ONLY if using the default android lockscreen.

Comfortaa system fonts: http://www.4shared.com/file/hYu1TYHL/Comfortaa_system_fonts_ONLY.html

New for ftwiz_final: I'm including an extra version with the samsung calendar AND the AOSP mms app, per Eugene's thread, since it resolves issues with being unable to send sms/mms messages. I'm also including the newest version of my battery mod (this is the version I personally like best and use daily), based on the upright/vertical icons, but with colored borders/outline, and a smoother charging animation (thanks to untermensch!) This can be applied on its own, after you flash either of the other versions. If flashed without flashing one of the other versions first, it DOES NOT contain the gmail/calendar/mms/music player icons, or the startup & shutdown animations and sounds. You can see a screenshot added to the post below too.

Download links here, ftwiz_final ONLY:

Removed, sorry, too many people use other people's work without giving credit, and it leads to way too many headaches, he-said/she-said, ignorance, etc.

Everything should flash via clockwork recovery fine, place the zip on the root of your INTERNAL /sdcard directory, reboot into clockwork, I recommend wiping the cache & dalvik-cache, then install zip from sdcard, locate the specific zip, reboot.

Enjoy, cheers everyone, and if you come in here posting bugs/whining for help without first making sure you cleared your cache and dalvik-cache, then I'm just going to ignore you, :p

Last edited:

zimphishmonger

Jun 4, 2009
Great work! Glad to see everyone is making their own customized battery images. We are gonna have a battery collection soon. :)

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
just a quick update to the OP with a new version with some colored/themed status icons.

cheers

=)

~ Jocelyn

joshthewaster

Jul 17, 2010
SL,UT
Is it ok to flash right over the top of a previous battery mod?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

I did, switched from the green circle. The battery indicator works fine.

I used the circle one but saw this with the other colored icons and thought they were cool. Seems that they don't quite work properly. Stock the GPS indicator shows in the notification bar any time it's on. With the new icons from the op the indicator is only on if I'm in an app that is using the GPS. I'm going to flash back to stock then to the battery only mod (i figure I need to to switch the other icons?)

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
I did, switched from the green circle. The battery indicator works fine.

I used the circle one but saw this with the other colored icons and thought they were cool. Seems that they don't quite work properly. Stock the GPS indicator shows in the notification bar any time it's on. With the new icons from the op the indicator is only on if I'm in an app that is using the GPS. I'm going to flash back to stock then to the battery only mod (i figure I need to to switch the other icons?)

Hi,

Thanks for trying it out. I have no idea how there might be issues since this is literally just img replacement from the segmented green circular battery mod, so however icons should work with that mod, is how they should work with this mod.

Maybe run a fix permissions from rom manager and see if that helps?

Also, my GPS icon has never worked like you described, even stock, (in other words, mine isn't always visible in notification bar, even when not in an app actively using gps, its displayed only when using an app that needs GPS, and disappeared when exiting the app.)

If you want to try and modify your own framework-res.apk with these files, I may upload just my png images once I'm done replacing/coloring all the icons I feel like modifying.

Thanks again for trying it out though, cheers

Lastly, I got bored and colored the wifi icons, cell-signal icons, and vibration indicator icon, I'll post the framework-res.apk in the first post, but won't package a new update.zip until I decide I'm done modifying icons, lol.

=)

~ Jocelyn

zimphishmonger

Jun 4, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for trying it out. I have no idea how there might be issues since this is literally just img replacement from the segmented green circular battery mod, so however icons should work with that mod, is how they should work with this mod.

Maybe run a fix permissions from rom manager and see if that helps?

Also, my GPS icon has never worked like you described, even stock, (in other words, mine isn't always visible in notification bar, even when not in an app actively using gps, its displayed only when using an app that needs GPS, and disappeared when exiting the app.)

If you want to try and modify your own framework-res.apk with these files, I may upload just my png images once I'm done replacing/coloring all the icons I feel like modifying.

Thanks again for trying it out though, cheers

Lastly, I got bored and colored the wifi icons, cell-signal icons, and vibration indicator icon, I'll post the framework-res.apk in the first post, but won't package a new update.zip until I decide I'm done modifying icons, lol.

=)

~ Jocelyn

Excellent work! I like the new colored signal icons. Consider possibly creating a metamorph of it, as they are very easy to update.

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
Excellent work! I like the new colored signal icons. Consider possibly creating a metamorph of it, as they are very easy to update.

Thanks for the help in getting everyone started with the battery mod, now I just need to decide when enough is enough for theming icons, lol.

Anyway, I'm about to head to bed, but I'm attaching a zip with the signal icons I modded, so if anyone wants to make a metamorph, go ahead, just please give a link back to this thread when/if you post.

cheers,

=)

~ Jocelyn

Attachments

• Signal_Icons.zip
    24.8 KB · Views: 34

joshthewaster

Jul 17, 2010
SL,UT
Hi,

~ Jocelyn

So I went back to stock to check and you're right. I must have imagined that. :eek:

I'll be switching back to your colored icons and battery now.

And as soon as you are done changing the icons and create a zip I'll switch to those. I like the color.

Last edited:

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
So I went back to stock to check and you're right. I must have imagined that. :eek:

I'll be switching back to your colored icons and battery now.

And as soon as you are done changing the icons and create a zip I'll switch to those. I like the color.

Hey again,

Glad I wasn't screwing up phone's, lol.

Anyway, I'm still working on changing all the icons, can't seem to decide where to stop yet, since now I've started modifying icons for other apps, gmail, mms, google voice, trillian, etc. And of course, now that I've gone with a slightly brighter green in the other icons, I may go back and tweak the color of my battery icon to match.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of some of the icons I'm mostly finished with (though for some reason I'm not digging the alarm icon, anyone have color suggestions for it?)

cheers,

=)

~ Jocelyn

Attachments

• Work_in_progress_01.png
    Work_in_progress_01.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:

joshthewaster

Jul 17, 2010
SL,UT
Hey again,

Glad I wasn't screwing up phone's, lol.

(though for some reason I'm not digging the alarm icon, anyone have color suggestions for it?)

cheers,

=)

~ Jocelyn

Yeah...sorry about that. Anyway I hate that stupid icon to begin with so maybe something totally different? I did a GIS for alarm clock icon and there are a lot of possibilities. I think that maybe the stock one with a red square and white clock could be good.

Edit: Maybe something like this
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/concepts-and-ideas/5891895-alarm-clock-icon.php?id=5891895

Last edited:

The K-Zoo Kid

Aug 10, 2010
so i just need to put this on my internal sd, boot into recovery and hit "reinstall packages" or whatever the hell it says? Im kind of new to all of this stuff.. so im just making sure :) you have to learn sometime haha

phonepersonality

Apr 30, 2009
so i just need to put this on my internal sd, boot into recovery and hit "reinstall packages" or whatever the hell it says? Im kind of new to all of this stuff.. so im just making sure :) you have to learn sometime haha

If you don't already have it, I suggest you install Koush's Clockwork Recovery. You can install it quickly by using ROM Manager.
Once you boot into the recovery ROM, you can back up your entire phone using Nandroid (highly advised) and then you're free to experiment to your heart's content.

Now back to your question: you can save the file to your internal SD card and search for it using the 'Install from SD' (or something like that) option in the Clockwork ROM, install it and reboot.

Good luck, friend.

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
Updated OP with newest mod.

I think I'm done with this for a while now, though I might zip all the png files if someone else wants to try and make this into a morph when the app gets updated.

cheers,

=)

~ Jocelyn

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
What's the right way to revert this? framework-res.apk restore?

Hi,

Yes, restoring your backed-up framework-res.apk will restore the battery mod. If you used the newer zip that also includes the Gmail icon mod, then you'll need to restore Gmail.apk too /system/app too.

Cheers,

=)

~ Jocelyn