[HOWTO] [ROOT] Instructions for SC-06D (Japanese SIII from Docomo) also ROM how-to

Search This thread

society mike

Aug 15, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
www.ziptied.com
**** SC-03E Galaxy SIII "alpha" owners, DO NOT TRY THIS method as it will NOT work for the SC-03E. Unfortunately, the S3 "alpha" is a Japan only device, (quad core, LTE) and there is no similar hardware version available outside Japan yet.
There are 2 members who have tried this method for SC-03E and both devices are hard bricked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
SC-06D
sc06d.jpg

A note about these instructions:
They're long and may seem a little daunting to those that aren't experienced. Please don't let that deter you as they've been written to be as simple and easy to follow as is reasonably possible assuming you can work a Windows PC and extract a zip file.

However, it's better if you are at least familiar with putting the phone into download mode or recovery mode and have rooted before. If this is your first time using download or recovery mode, please read about using it first. (the first link below is helpful)

General Disclaimer:
Use these tools and this guide at your own risk. Doing these things wrong/improperly/etc. has the ability to completely ruin your device and YOU assume all risk and responsibility if that happens.

Also note that rooting WILL violate the manufacturers warranty on the device making it ineligible for warranty repair. If you have insurance on the device however, they MAY still replace it for the cost of your deductible.

First, some good info how to use ODIN for flashing ROM's, etc (however, use OUR instructions here for using it for the SC-06D)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1671969

Now for the long detailed instructions, but please follow them VERY CAREFULLY.
(note: pay attention to the part about UNCHECKING "Auto-reboot" and not allowing the device to boot into Android before flashing stock_recovery)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the source for all the ROOT and ROM info we have collected for the SC-06D from Docomo, included are the instructions.
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B98X7HyfoaGaWEpscWdrdFZhbUE/edit

Instructions for Rooting your Japanese SGS3(SC-06D)
Verify that your phone has ‘Build Number: IMM76D.SC06DOMALK2 or earlier. You can see this by going to Settings > About phone > scroll to bottom. If it has build older than LK2, do an Update by scrolling back to the top and selecting System Updates.
(this will insure you have the latest radio (baseband SC06DDOMALK2) in case you update to a custom ROM)

I suggest downloading all the files first from the link onto your computers C:\ Create a folder there to put everything into.

1. Load Samsung ADB Drivers onto your PC by going to the Drivers folder in this Google Drive and download the SGS3-Driver file in that folder. Follow the instructions that pop up when you run the driver file.

2. Now that your PC can see your phone you should see SC-06D under Computer in Windows Explorer. In Windows, go to SC-06D and you should see Internal Storage and SD Card.(or Phone and Card). Open up Internal.(Phone) Copy and paste sgs3_rooting_supersu_v3 zip file from Google Drive Root - SuperUser folder.

3. Open up the ODIN folder in Google Drive. Download the ODIN.zip file and place it in a file on your desktop, or wherever you can easily get to it. Once you have the files extracted, double click and run Odin3 v3.07. First thing you want to do is *** UNCHECK AUTO REBOOT!!** You should see “0:[COM#]”(the # should be a number) in the ID:COM box right above the Auto Reboot. If you do not see anything in the ID:COM box then ODIN does not see your phone and you might have to reload the drivers, or try to restart your computer. You can not go any further until you see something in that ID:COM box.

4. On your phone, reboot the phone. while it is rebooting, hold down the Vol Down + Home buttons. You can release the buttons once some Japanese text comes up. Just hit the Vol Up button to clear the text. (Vol Down means "Cancel") The screen should now have some text in the top left corner and show the Android robot with the words “Downloading.. Do not turn off target!!”. If you do not get to this screen and end up back into Android, try again.

5. In ODIN (again, verify that AUTO REBOOT is unchecked) click the PDA box in the middle of ODIN. Go to the Google Drive folder called ClockWorkMod Recovery and pick SC06D-ICS-KBC-CWM-V6.0.1.2_r1-recovery-odin.tar.md5. (or latest version in folder). You should see the file loaded in the box to the right of the PDA box and it will be checked. Click the Start button at the bottom of ODIN. You should see some stuff happening in the big box in the top left of ODIN. Wait for it to say “RESET”.

6. *** READ THIS STEP COMPLETELY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO THE PHONE!!*** Unplug your phone. Hold the power button down, once it goes black QUICKLY press and hold the Vol Up + Home buttons to take you directly into Recovery Mode. (DO NOT LET IT BOOT INTO ANDROID!)

7. You should now be in Recovery Mode. You should see an orange circle with a hat on it in the middle of the screen. This is ClockWorkMod(CWM) Recovery Mode. Use the Vol Up and Vol Down buttons to move the highlight bar up and down and the Power button to select. Go to “Install zip from SD Card” and then “Choose zip from SD Card”. Look for the sgs3_rooting_supersu_v3.zip file that you loaded in step 3. You should be asked if you really want to do this, move the highlight bar down and select “Yes..”

8. *** READ THIS STEP COMPLETELY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO THE PHONE!!*** After the zip file as loaded, it shouldn’t take but a few seconds, highlight and use “***go back***” until you are back at the top menu. You should see “reboot system now”. Be ready to put the phone back into Download Mode again by holding the Vol Down + Home buttons. Again, you have to be quick with this and don’t let the phone go into Android.

note: if you skip this next step and choose to keep CWM recovery installed instead of the stock_recovery, then many of the SC-06D's functions will not work. The stock_recovery MUST be flashed/installed everytime before booting into Android.

9. Plug your phone back into your PC. Open ODIN back up, if its not still open, If it is still open hit the RESET button. You should still see “0:[COM#]” in the ID:COM box saying ODIN sees your phone. *** UNCHECK AUTO REBOOT!!** Click the PDA box again, just like you did in Step 6. This time you will load up stock_recovery.tar.md5 file from the Google Drive folder Stock Recovery. Make sure that the file is in the box to the right of PDA and that its checked. Click the Start button at the bottom of ODIN. Wait for the box at the top left to say RESET.

10. You can now reboot your phone and let it go all the way into Android. You are now Rooted!

Once you are back into Android, you can check and make sure you have SU(superuser) and open up Camera, "Osaifu-Keitai", install EDY (or ID, or Suica, etc) check that they work, they should be fine though.
(note: if at any point you let the phone boot into Android by mistake while CWM recovery was still flashed, then you will find some hardware functions on the phone will be broken, the ONLY way we know how to fix this, is to re-install stock ROM and start over)

If you don't care about custom ROM's, then that's it. You are done! EVERYTHING will work at this point. OneSeg, Felica, Wifi, camera, LTE, hotspot, etc...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OPTIONAL

*** UPDATE ***

While you are still on stock ROM, if you would like to SIM UNLOCK your SC-06D, the instructions in this thread, have been verified to work on our stock Touchwiz ROM phone. (it won't work if you have a custom ROM like CM9 or CM10 installed)

Confirmed, it will retain the SIM UNLOCK after a custom ROM flashing!!

So now is the perfect time to SIM unlock your SC-06D!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions for loading Kernels and ROMs
If you DO want to try a ROM or kernel, (I have Sakuramilks CM9(ROM) and kernel on Google Drive) then download the files and extract them. Be aware that the Japanese SGS3’s are not like the ones in the states or other countries, so load other ROMs and Kernels at your own risk. We can only verify that the ROM and kernel i've provided will work on our phones. Open up you phone in Windows Explorer and put the downloaded files into Internal Storage on your phone. You can just put them in the top most level, no need to place them in any special folder or anything. The following steps will be for Sakuramilk’s files, just replace your ROM zip and Kernel zip files. You can use the Google Apps zip from the Google Drive if you want.

!!!ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE LOST IF YOU DO THIS SO BE SURE TO DO A BACKUP!!!
(follow Steps 4, 5, 6, ONLY then choose full back up, run a back up which takes a while, then follow steps 8 and 9 to reflash stock_recovery before booting back into Android)

1. In this example we will be using Sakuramilk’s CM9 ROM and kernel.
UPDATE: we try to keep the latest Kernel updates included, so the file names may be slightly different for the date.
They can be found in Google Drive folders Kernel and Sakuramilk CM9 ROM. Copy SC06D-ICS-KBC-20120826-AOSP.zip and cm-9-20120815-SKRMLK-d2dcm.zip files into the top level of Internal Storage on your phone. If you want to pre-load all the Google apps go ahead and load gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip into the Internal Storage along with the other two zip files.

2. Just like what you did in the Root instructions. Open up the ODIN folder in Google Drive. Double click and run Odin3 v3.07. *** UNCHECK AUTO REBOOT!!** You should see “0:[COM#]”(the # should be a number) in the ID:COM box right above the Auto Reboot. If you do not see anything in the ID:COM box then ODIN does not see your phone and you might have to reload the drivers, or try to restart your computer. You can not go any further until you see something in that ID:COM box.

3. On your phone, reboot the phone. while it is rebooting, hold down the Vol Down + Home buttons. You can release the buttons once some Japanese text comes up. Just hit the Vol Up button to clear the text. The screen should now have some text in the top left corner and show the Android robot with the words “Downloading.. Do not turn off target!!”. If you do not get to this screen and end up back into Android, try again

4. In ODIN (again, verify that AUTO REBOOT is unchecked) click the PDA box in the middle of ODIN. Go to the Google Drive folder called ClockWorkMod Recovery and pick SC06D-ICS-KBC-CWM-V6.0.1.2_r1-recovery-odin.tar.md5. You should see the file loaded in the box to the right of the PDA box and it will be checked. Click the Start button at the bottom of ODIN. You should see some stuff happening in the big box in the top left of ODIN. Wait for it to say “RESET”.

5. *** READ THIS STEP COMPLETELY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO THE PHONE!!*** Unplug your phone. Hold the power button down, once it goes black QUICKLY press and hold the Vol Up + Home buttons to go directly into Recovery Mode. (DO NOT LET IT BOOT INTO ANDROID!)

6. You should now be in Recovery Mode. You should see an orange circle with a hat on it in the middle of the screen just like when you were rooting the phone. Use the Vol Up and Vol Down buttons to move the highlight bar up and down and the Power button to select. Select “wipe data/factory reset” after its complete, select “wipe cache partition”. You will then need to go into the “advanced” menu. From there you will “wipe delvik cache” and “wipe battery stats”. Now go back to the main menu and select ‘Apply update from SD Card” and then go to “choose zip from sdcard “. This should bring up a list of folders and files on your internal storage. At the bottom look for the file “SC06D-ICS-KBC-20120826-AOSP-boot-signed.zip” and hit the power button to load that. After that is done loading pick and load the file “cm-9-20120815-SKRMLK-d2dcm.zip”. After both of those have loaded, load ”gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip”.

7. *** READ THIS STEP COMPLETELY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO THE PHONE!!*** After you have installed the three zip files, use the “*** go back ***” menus until you are all the way at the top menu. Select “reboot system now”. Be ready to put the phone back into Download Mode again by holding the Vol Down + Home buttons. You should see the Android robot and the “Downloading.. Do not turn off target!!”

8. Plug your phone back into your PC. Open ODIN back up, if its not still open, If it is still open hit the RESET button that is next to the START button. You should still see “0:[COM#]” in the ID:COM box saying ODIN sees your phone. *** UNCHECK AUTO REBOOT!!** Click the PDA box again, just like you did in Step 6. This time you will load up stock_recovery.tar.md5 file from the Google Drive folder Stock Recovery. Make sure that the file is in the box to the right of PDA and that its checked. Click the Start button at the bottom of ODIN. Wait for the box at the top left to say RESET.

Reboot into Android and ENJOY!!!

As long as you reflash the stock_recovery after your custom ROM or kernels, everything should work fine.

Contributing people and thanks to,
FDokinawa, Society Mike,
as well as non-xda members because there is NO japanese language support here... sakuramilk, HomuHomu, and the unnamed Japanese developers who post on various blogs like 2chan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**** UPDATE *****

AWESOME Find from "creaturecool"

A world of possibilities has arrived. The following is a guide to using the ROM conversion tool created by Homura. Original Japanese post here.

With this tool, you will be able to convert ROMs meant for T-mobile (model number: SGH-T999) and AT&T (SGH-I747) versions of the S3 for use on the sc-06d (docomo SIII).

As usual before doing anything make a Nandroid back-up! Anything you do to your phone you do at your own risk!

1. Download the tool here. Unzip it.

2. Find compatible ROM in one of the following forums
WARNING: ONLY USE T-MOBILE (d2tmo) or AT&T (d2att) Galaxy S3 ROMs, doing otherwise will leave you with a brick!!

IMPORTANT: You can NOT convert touchwiz-based Jelly Bean roms.
You can convert AOSP-based Jelly Bean roms (CM10, AOKP, Liquidsmooth, ParanoidAndroid, etc.).
You can convert touchwiz-based ICS roms, and AOSP roms.

(I chose this Liquidsmooth rom)

AT&T Galaxy S III Original Android Development
AT&T Galaxy S III Android Development
T-Mobile Galaxy S III Original Android Development
T-Mobile Galaxy S III Android Development

Should you choose an ICS rom, your One-seg and Osaifu-keitai should remain in working order.
For Jelly Bean roms, these features will be lost. LTE will depend on the rom you choose and will be up to you to determine whether it is functioning or not.

3. Place T-mobile/AT&T S3 rom into the tool folder. The folder should be unzipped, and called make_JP_CompleteROM_SC06D.

4. Once placed in the folder, run make_JP_CompleteROM.cmd. Next a command prompt window will pop up as shown below.

jp_com_tool.png

Press "0" to exit.

Next, a lot of green text should appear. That's good, it's working! It should take about a minute, and then prompt you with white text saying "Press any key to continue..."
Your freshly converted rom will be called JP_SC06D_JB_Complete.zip or JP_SC06D_ICS_Complete.zip and should be in the same directory.

If you get red text, make sure that you have cleared the directory of any previous roms you have cooked (ie. any "JP_SC06D_JB_Complete.zip" or "JP_SC06D_ICS_Complete.zip" you may have converted earlier).

5. Take your newly created JP_SC06D_JB_Complete.zip or JP_SC06D_ICS_Complete.zip and flash it as you normally would with the SC-06d. Don't forget your Gapps!
You don't need to flash stock recovery unless you use an ICS rom and care about Felica and Mobile TV.

Enjoy!!!:laugh:

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

btw, I highly recommend the LiquidSmooth rom. So far everything is great and it has even more customization options than the CM10 and AOKP roms we have so far. The only downside I've found is that the charging battery LED doesn't work (it's a problem with the original LS rom, workaround).
Edit: Get the sc-06d Liquid Smooth Rom here. (Flash as is, no conversion necessary.)

Last edited:

dkflint723

Nov 7, 2008
San Jose, CA
I am currently running Sakura's CM10 build. But I was wondering if there are any other CM10 builds available that we can use ( ie. ATT, Sprint, etc...)? If anyone know's I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT: Has anyone tried the "TOOL" that sakura has on his website? It looks like it will take a different SGS3 ROM and re-compile it to work on the SC-06D. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:

society mike

Aug 15, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
www.ziptied.com
I am currently running Sakura's CM10 build. But I was wondering if there are any other CM10 builds available that we can use ( ie. ATT, Sprint, etc...)? If anyone know's I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT: Has anyone tried the "TOOL" that sakura has on his website? It looks like it will take a different SGS3 ROM and re-compile it to work on the SC-06D. Can anyone confirm this?

Hmm, if that's what the tool does then awesome. I thought it was just a rooting toolkit.
Other ROMs for other S3's would work but many or most functions would not work. Sakuramilk adds in the changes needed for the SC06D. Apparently even the mic is different on our version.

Vocalonation

Sep 19, 2012
I followed the procedure to the letter, but it left my phone stuck at the cyanogenmod9 boot screen.

Now I am without CWM, and it's not working.

Nvm, I solved my issue.

Last edited:

soldave

Apr 23, 2011
www.biginjapan.co
Just thrown on the latest (i.e. yesterday's) nightly build of CM10. The install went fine although on each bootup I'm getting a message telling me "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped". Some people have said before it can happen if you restore a Google backup after a ROM upgrade but I'm not sure. Hopefully it'll go away of its own accord, or the next nightly build will sort it.

soldave

Apr 23, 2011
www.biginjapan.co
Note that Sakuramilk has dropped back to the nightly release from the 18th due to a problem with Superuser permissions. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon and a new nightly will be sorted as that version seemed to have fixed a few of the bugs still there.

Am wondering now whether to go back to CM9 or not until things get sorted.

SQ3.0dotJP

Aug 13, 2010
Does reinstalling stock recovery work for sakuramilk's CM10? also didnt someone recompile paranoid android? if so, please shoot me a PM

soldave

Apr 23, 2011
www.biginjapan.co
Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this but I'm getting a huge amount of crashes and then the phone won't start up, needing all data to be wiped. Have noticed it with the last 3 nightly builds of CM10. Am trying to work out if it's an app that it's not liking but not found anything yet.

soldave

Apr 23, 2011
www.biginjapan.co
Well even the CM9 from Sakuramilk is still on a nightly build and not an official stable release. But a lot more work has been done on it, I'll give you that.

cezeff

Sep 21, 2009
Okinawa, Japan
i know i asked before...but got no response...seeing as it looks like the focus is off the ICS and now on CM 9, 10 or JB...is there a kernel that will play nice with all???????l....the current ICS kernel on github cause the phone to be mostly unresponsive...so stuck using the stock kernel with just basic profiles...maybe the new update is to blame..

also....anyone know how to reset the flash counter?...lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **** SC-03E Galaxy SIII "alpha" owners, DO NOT TRY THIS method as it will NOT work for the SC-03E. Unfortunately, the S3 "alpha" is a Japan only device, (quad core, LTE) and there is no similar hardware version available outside Japan yet.
    There are 2 members who have tried this method for SC-03E and both devices are hard bricked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    SC-06D
    sc06d.jpg

A note about these instructions:
    They're long and may seem a little daunting to those that aren't experienced. Please don't let that deter you as they've been written to be as simple and easy to follow as is reasonably possible assuming you can work a Windows PC and extract a zip file.

However, it's better if you are at least familiar with putting the phone into download mode or recovery mode and have rooted before. If this is your first time using download or recovery mode, please read about using it first. (the first link below is helpful)

General Disclaimer:
    Use these tools and this guide at your own risk. Doing these things wrong/improperly/etc. has the ability to completely ruin your device and YOU assume all risk and responsibility if that happens.

Also note that rooting WILL violate the manufacturers warranty on the device making it ineligible for warranty repair. If you have insurance on the device however, they MAY still replace it for the cost of your deductible.

First, some good info how to use ODIN for flashing ROM's, etc (however, use OUR instructions here for using it for the SC-06D)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1671969

Now for the long detailed instructions, but please follow them VERY CAREFULLY.
    (note: pay attention to the part about UNCHECKING "Auto-reboot" and not allowing the device to boot into Android before flashing stock_recovery)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the source for all the ROOT and ROM info we have collected for the SC-06D from Docomo, included are the instructions.
    https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B98X7HyfoaGaWEpscWdrdFZhbUE/edit

Instructions for Rooting your Japanese SGS3(SC-06D)
    Verify that your phone has ‘Build Number: IMM76D.SC06DOMALK2 or earlier. You can see this by going to Settings > About phone > scroll to bottom. If it has build older than LK2, do an Update by scrolling back to the top and selecting System Updates.
    (this will insure you have the latest radio (baseband SC06DDOMALK2) in case you update to a custom ROM)

I suggest downloading all the files first from the link onto your computers C:\ Create a folder there to put everything into.

1. Load Samsung ADB Drivers onto your PC by going to the Drivers folder in this Google Drive and download the SGS3-Driver file in that folder. Follow the instructions that pop up when you run the driver file.

2. Now that your PC can see your phone you should see SC-06D under Computer in Windows Explorer. In Windows, go to SC-06D and you should see Internal Storage and SD Card.(or Phone and Card). Open up Internal.(Phone) Copy and paste sgs3_rooting_supersu_v3 zip file from Google Drive Root - SuperUser folder.

3. Open up the ODIN folder in Google Drive. Download the ODIN.zip file and place it in a file on your desktop, or wherever you can easily get to it. Once you have the files extracted, double click and run Odin3 v3.07. First thing you want to do is *** UNCHECK AUTO REBOOT!!** You should see “0:[COM#]”(the # should be a number) in the ID:COM box right above the Auto Reboot. If you do not see anything in the ID:COM box then ODIN does not see your phone and you might have to reload the drivers, or try to restart your computer. You can not go any further until you see something in that ID:COM box.

4. On your phone, reboot the phone. while it is rebooting, hold down the Vol Down + Home buttons. You can release the buttons once some Japanese text comes up. Just hit the Vol Up button to clear the text. (Vol Down means "Cancel") The screen should now have some text in the top left corner and show the Android robot with the words “Downloading.. Do not turn off target!!”. If you do not get to this screen and end up back into Android, try again.

5. In ODIN (again, verify that AUTO REBOOT is unchecked) click the PDA box in the middle of ODIN. Go to the Google Drive folder called ClockWorkMod Recovery and pick SC06D-ICS-KBC-CWM-V6.0.1.2_r1-recovery-odin.tar.md5. (or latest version in folder). You should see the file loaded in the box to the right of the PDA box and it will be checked. Click the Start button at the bottom of ODIN. You should see some stuff happening in the big box in the top left of ODIN. Wait for it to say “RESET”.

6. *** READ THIS STEP COMPLETELY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO THE PHONE!!*** Unplug your phone. Hold the power button down, once it goes black QUICKLY press and hold the Vol Up + Home buttons to take you directly into Recovery Mode. (DO NOT LET IT BOOT INTO ANDROID!)

7. You should now be in Recovery Mode. You should see an orange circle with a hat on it in the middle of the screen. This is ClockWorkMod(CWM) Recovery Mode. Use the Vol Up and Vol Down buttons to move the highlight bar up and down and the Power button to select. Go to “Install zip from SD Card” and then “Choose zip from SD Card”. Look for the sgs3_rooting_supersu_v3.zip file that you loaded in step 3. You should be asked if you really want to do this, move the highlight bar down and select “Yes..”

8. *** READ THIS STEP COMPLETELY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO THE PHONE!!*** After the zip file as loaded, it shouldn’t take but a few seconds, highlight and use “***go back***” until you are back at the top menu. You should see “reboot system now”. Be ready to put the phone back into Download Mode again by holding the Vol Down + Home buttons. Again, you have to be quick with this and don’t let the phone go into Android.

note: if you skip this next step and choose to keep CWM recovery installed instead of the stock_recovery, then many of the SC-06D's functions will not work. The stock_recovery MUST be flashed/installed everytime before booting into Android.

9. Plug your phone back into your PC. Open ODIN back up, if its not still open, If it is still open hit the RESET button. You should still see “0:[COM#]” in the ID:COM box saying ODIN sees your phone. *** UNCHECK AUTO REBOOT!!** Click the PDA box again, just like you did in Step 6. This time you will load up stock_recovery.tar.md5 file from the Google Drive folder Stock Recovery. Make sure that the file is in the box to the right of PDA and that its checked. Click the Start button at the bottom of ODIN. Wait for the box at the top left to say RESET.

10. You can now reboot your phone and let it go all the way into Android. You are now Rooted!

Once you are back into Android, you can check and make sure you have SU(superuser) and open up Camera, "Osaifu-Keitai", install EDY (or ID, or Suica, etc) check that they work, they should be fine though.
    (note: if at any point you let the phone boot into Android by mistake while CWM recovery was still flashed, then you will find some hardware functions on the phone will be broken, the ONLY way we know how to fix this, is to re-install stock ROM and start over)

If you don't care about custom ROM's, then that's it. You are done! EVERYTHING will work at this point. OneSeg, Felica, Wifi, camera, LTE, hotspot, etc...

OPTIONAL

*** UPDATE ***

While you are still on stock ROM, if you would like to SIM UNLOCK your SC-06D, the instructions in this thread, have been verified to work on our stock Touchwiz ROM phone. (it won't work if you have a custom ROM like CM9 or CM10 installed)

Confirmed, it will retain the SIM UNLOCK after a custom ROM flashing!!

So now is the perfect time to SIM unlock your SC-06D!

Instructions for loading Kernels and ROMs
    If you DO want to try a ROM or kernel, (I have Sakuramilks CM9(ROM) and kernel on Google Drive) then download the files and extract them. Be aware that the Japanese SGS3’s are not like the ones in the states or other countries, so load other ROMs and Kernels at your own risk. We can only verify that the ROM and kernel i've provided will work on our phones. Open up you phone in Windows Explorer and put the downloaded files into Internal Storage on your phone. You can just put them in the top most level, no need to place them in any special folder or anything. The following steps will be for Sakuramilk’s files, just replace your ROM zip and Kernel zip files. You can use the Google Apps zip from the Google Drive if you want.

!!!ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE LOST IF YOU DO THIS SO BE SURE TO DO A BACKUP!!!
    (follow Steps 4, 5, 6, ONLY then choose full back up, run a back up which takes a while, then follow steps 8 and 9 to reflash stock_recovery before booting back into Android)

1. In this example we will be using Sakuramilk’s CM9 ROM and kernel.
    UPDATE: we try to keep the latest Kernel updates included, so the file names may be slightly different for the date.
    They can be found in Google Drive folders Kernel and Sakuramilk CM9 ROM. Copy SC06D-ICS-KBC-20120826-AOSP.zip and cm-9-20120815-SKRMLK-d2dcm.zip files into the top level of Internal Storage on your phone. If you want to pre-load all the Google apps go ahead and load gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip into the Internal Storage along with the other two zip files.

2. Just like what you did in the Root instructions. Open up the ODIN folder in Google Drive. Double click and run Odin3 v3.07. *** UNCHECK AUTO REBOOT!!** You should see “0:[COM#]”(the # should be a number) in the ID:COM box right above the Auto Reboot. If you do not see anything in the ID:COM box then ODIN does not see your phone and you might have to reload the drivers, or try to restart your computer. You can not go any further until you see something in that ID:COM box.

3. On your phone, reboot the phone. while it is rebooting, hold down the Vol Down + Home buttons. You can release the buttons once some Japanese text comes up. Just hit the Vol Up button to clear the text. The screen should now have some text in the top left corner and show the Android robot with the words “Downloading.. Do not turn off target!!”. If you do not get to this screen and end up back into Android, try again

4. In ODIN (again, verify that AUTO REBOOT is unchecked) click the PDA box in the middle of ODIN. Go to the Google Drive folder called ClockWorkMod Recovery and pick SC06D-ICS-KBC-CWM-V6.0.1.2_r1-recovery-odin.tar.md5. You should see the file loaded in the box to the right of the PDA box and it will be checked. Click the Start button at the bottom of ODIN. You should see some stuff happening in the big box in the top left of ODIN. Wait for it to say “RESET”.

5. *** READ THIS STEP COMPLETELY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO THE PHONE!!*** Unplug your phone. Hold the power button down, once it goes black QUICKLY press and hold the Vol Up + Home buttons to go directly into Recovery Mode. (DO NOT LET IT BOOT INTO ANDROID!)

6. You should now be in Recovery Mode. You should see an orange circle with a hat on it in the middle of the screen just like when you were rooting the phone. Use the Vol Up and Vol Down buttons to move the highlight bar up and down and the Power button to select. Select “wipe data/factory reset” after its complete, select “wipe cache partition”. You will then need to go into the “advanced” menu. From there you will “wipe delvik cache” and “wipe battery stats”. Now go back to the main menu and select ‘Apply update from SD Card” and then go to “choose zip from sdcard “. This should bring up a list of folders and files on your internal storage. At the bottom look for the file “SC06D-ICS-KBC-20120826-AOSP-boot-signed.zip” and hit the power button to load that. After that is done loading pick and load the file “cm-9-20120815-SKRMLK-d2dcm.zip”. After both of those have loaded, load ”gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip”.

7. *** READ THIS STEP COMPLETELY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO THE PHONE!!*** After you have installed the three zip files, use the “*** go back ***” menus until you are all the way at the top menu. Select “reboot system now”. Be ready to put the phone back into Download Mode again by holding the Vol Down + Home buttons. You should see the Android robot and the “Downloading.. Do not turn off target!!”

8. Plug your phone back into your PC. Open ODIN back up, if its not still open, If it is still open hit the RESET button that is next to the START button. You should still see “0:[COM#]” in the ID:COM box saying ODIN sees your phone. *** UNCHECK AUTO REBOOT!!** Click the PDA box again, just like you did in Step 6. This time you will load up stock_recovery.tar.md5 file from the Google Drive folder Stock Recovery. Make sure that the file is in the box to the right of PDA and that its checked. Click the Start button at the bottom of ODIN. Wait for the box at the top left to say RESET.

Reboot into Android and ENJOY!!!

As long as you reflash the stock_recovery after your custom ROM or kernels, everything should work fine.

Contributing people and thanks to,
    FDokinawa, Society Mike,
    as well as non-xda members because there is NO japanese language support here... sakuramilk, HomuHomu, and the unnamed Japanese developers who post on various blogs like 2chan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **** UPDATE *****

AWESOME Find from "creaturecool"

A world of possibilities has arrived. The following is a guide to using the ROM conversion tool created by Homura. Original Japanese post here.

With this tool, you will be able to convert ROMs meant for T-mobile (model number: SGH-T999) and AT&T (SGH-I747) versions of the S3 for use on the sc-06d (docomo SIII).

As usual before doing anything make a Nandroid back-up! Anything you do to your phone you do at your own risk!

1. Download the tool here. Unzip it.

2. Find compatible ROM in one of the following forums
    WARNING: ONLY USE T-MOBILE (d2tmo) or AT&T (d2att) Galaxy S3 ROMs, doing otherwise will leave you with a brick!!

IMPORTANT: You can NOT convert touchwiz-based Jelly Bean roms.
    You can convert AOSP-based Jelly Bean roms (CM10, AOKP, Liquidsmooth, ParanoidAndroid, etc.).
    You can convert touchwiz-based ICS roms, and AOSP roms.

(I chose this Liquidsmooth rom)

AT&T Galaxy S III Original Android Development
    AT&T Galaxy S III Android Development
    T-Mobile Galaxy S III Original Android Development
    T-Mobile Galaxy S III Android Development

Should you choose an ICS rom, your One-seg and Osaifu-keitai should remain in working order.
    For Jelly Bean roms, these features will be lost. LTE will depend on the rom you choose and will be up to you to determine whether it is functioning or not.

3. Place T-mobile/AT&T S3 rom into the tool folder. The folder should be unzipped, and called make_JP_CompleteROM_SC06D.

4. Once placed in the folder, run make_JP_CompleteROM.cmd. Next a command prompt window will pop up as shown below.

jp_com_tool.png

Press "0" to exit.

Next, a lot of green text should appear. That's good, it's working! It should take about a minute, and then prompt you with white text saying "Press any key to continue..."
    Your freshly converted rom will be called JP_SC06D_JB_Complete.zip or JP_SC06D_ICS_Complete.zip and should be in the same directory.

If you get red text, make sure that you have cleared the directory of any previous roms you have cooked (ie. any "JP_SC06D_JB_Complete.zip" or "JP_SC06D_ICS_Complete.zip" you may have converted earlier).

5. Take your newly created JP_SC06D_JB_Complete.zip or JP_SC06D_ICS_Complete.zip and flash it as you normally would with the SC-06d. Don't forget your Gapps!
    You don't need to flash stock recovery unless you use an ICS rom and care about Felica and Mobile TV.

Enjoy!!!:laugh:

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

btw, I highly recommend the LiquidSmooth rom. So far everything is great and it has even more customization options than the CM10 and AOKP roms we have so far. The only downside I've found is that the charging battery LED doesn't work (it's a problem with the original LS rom, workaround).
    Edit: Get the sc-06d Liquid Smooth Rom here. (Flash as is, no conversion necessary.)
    Cooked ROMs

I have recently cooked several ROMs (just testing them out to see which one I like best) so wanted to share them here.

The roms can be downloaded here... https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B_5PXHyDlMBRWXRIMkxUM05rRzQ/edit?usp=sharing

Included are :
    Carbon ROM (http://goo.im/devs/carbon)
    PAC ROM (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2015607)
    Vanilla Rootbox ROM (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2083922)

To flash the Roms.

It is recommended to revert to stock and update your device first so you are running the latest baseband and download and flash the newest version of CWM (You can get it here https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63613486/S...tal/SC06D-JB-KBC-CWM-V6.0.1.2_r15-recovery.7z)

1. Do a Factory Reset, Cache wipe, Dalvik wipe and Battery Stats wipe in CWM
    2. Flash the Rom
    3. Flash the latest kernel from Sakuramilk (https://github.com/kbc-developers/release/wiki/sc06d)
    4. Flash GAPPS (http://goo.im/gapps)

If you have Data connectivity problems (wether it be Wifi or LTE/3G) I have found only one workaround that works albeit it takes a bit of time

You will only have to do the first three steps once...

1. Download and flash the latest version of CM10.1 from Sakuramilk (don't forget your GAPPS)
    2. Set up your phone and let it redownload your Apps from the market, etc
    3. Make a nandroid backup in CWM (Back up to external)

4. Reboot to recovery
    5. Do a Factory Reset, Cache wipe, Dalvik wipe and Battery Stats wipe in CWM
    6. Flash your Nandroid Backup (Restore from external)
    7. DO NOT DO A FACTORY RESET HERE
    8. Wipe your Cache partition, Dalvic and Battery stats
    9. Flash the ROM
    10. Flash the latest kernel from Sakuramilk (https://github.com/kbc-developers/release/wiki/sc06d)
    11. Flash GAPPS (http://goo.im/gapps)
    12. Reboot your device

I have tested all the ROMS and have had no issues whatsoever with the above method albeit it's cheating a bit as it's just retaining the connectivity settings from Sakuramilk's ROM

Hope you enjoy the ROMs and maybe someone smarter then I will chime in with an easier fix for the connectivity issues.

Lastly I'd like to say a very special thanks to cezeff, this has been a learning curve for me and without his insights and help I would have never been able to figure any of this out
    F-YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WORKS!!!!! THE SOUND IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After flashing that last kernel that Homura made is just like a micro seconds everything is back to normal!!! THEY ROCK!!!!!

I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!! I screamed so loud when I heard my voice on the video that my entire family went up to see what was going on LOL!!!

CONFIRMED on carbon 30th!!!

He also talked about the new Conversion tool, where is it? -> I just downloaded the cooker with the same link, maybe he just updated the file without updating the actual post - Cooking the 30th right now

Finished cooking and flashed the 30th - The kernel says 3.4.51 0701 BUT there's something I actually never got a chance to test. IF you have the latest kernel already installed (I flashed it before re-flashing the new cooked rom) maybe it doesn't overwrite it and leave the latest.....I dunno...Anyway I'm uploading it to my dropbox right now and will make a new post with the download link as soon as it is done!

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Here is latest Nightly from Carbon - 30th - Included is the latest kernel 3.4.51 (Hopefully...read above)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zz9tldh93ezafaf/CARBON-0630-SC06D-RD.zip

As usual you can check the changelog to know what's new:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zcp6iVWVw_7iH-ErnKgkYy3r5QuqV8PHFoQMb8hoBwQ/mobilebasic

Enjoy and happy flashing!
    CARBON Nightly 06-11 WITH HALO!!

Here is the latest nightly and now HALO is included in it!

https://www.box.com/s/p1toj9p2hjd38jsdbinr

To give more details, the blacklist system is to decide whether or not you want the Halo ball to notify you with the app in question. Go into the a
    App Manager and check the halo blacklist if you don't want anymore notification from that app. I read that it doesn't always work but again it is a NIGHTLY...

I haven't experience one single UI error on that one and the benchmark test was excellent!

Enjoy!

Don't forget to thanks ;)
    ok...well the wifi tethering doesnt seem to work..but the bluetooth tethering works fine....on my macbook i just had to renew the DCHP lease and the bluetooth tethering works just fine....i know you need to use tethering for your job....so if bluetooth is fine for now then i would say give it shot....plus the 4.2.1 improvements are nice...a working camera and photosphere, Daydream, the new notifications panel, etc etc...ill post a link to my Drive for anyone that wants to try it....just download the cooked ROM, kernel, and the gapps....put them on your sd card...do a full wipe...flash the rom..then gapps...then the kernel and reboot and you should be good to go.....let me know what you guys think....this is yet another way for us to get 4.2 ROMs ported over to the sc-06d until/unless someone makes a new cooker....( all the credit and hard work goes to the respective developers of the ROMs, cooker and kernel)

original page of the cooked ROM:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1766684 (4.2 gapps can be downloaded from that thread too)

the 4.2 kernel from KBC Developers
    https://github.com/kbc-developers/release/wiki/SC06D

the ROM after its been cooked for the SC-06D
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B06L494jdQAlNVlaaEN5S0JQdDg/edit

let me know if you guys have any questions....and hit that "Thanks" if you like it...