[Q] Nexus 5 Dead - Noise from Motherboard?

Search This thread

samcooper2

Nov 18, 2013
Hi guys,

Fairly new to posting on this forum but ive been a long time reader!

Last week i was at the office getting some steady use out of my Nexus 5 (which is in a Spigen NeoHybrid Case) when i put it in my pocket, got up, and accidentally hit the phone on the corner of my desk. The collision wasnt really that hard and so i didnt expect anything to come of it especially considering it was in a case and ive seen people drop theirs from a fair height and still function normally.

However ever since that moment i have been unable to turn my device on at all. It wont charge, it wont connect to the PC, absolutely nothing. I trawled the internet looking at all number of solutions including the various button hold methods.

I decided to chuck a new fully charged battery in the phone and it still didnt turn on but the phone did output some strange rhythmic buzzing noise before getting extremely hot and then nothing again.

Ive also taken out the motherboard and put it in to a healthy Nexus 5 phone and get the same issue which leads me to believe i have somehow damaged the Mobo :/

My question to you all is, have i got any chance in hell of getting my phone back to life before Google expect me to send it back in their RMA service? I could really do with recovering the data that is on the phone which includes a lot of family holiday photos i hadnt backed up (stupid of me i know).

Also, does anyone know what that buzzing sound might have been? Ive tried searching everywhere on the net and had no luck and im getting pretty desperate now. ANy help at all is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Sam

samcooper2

Nov 18, 2013
I would also just like to state that im more than happy to reward anyone who helps me out significantly enough and manages to get my data back (or at least my phone visible on the PC so i can extract it). :)

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
I don't think data can be recovered. I don't know if I'm making any sense or not but if the eMMC chip is fine, then you can show it to a professional so that he could try to repair the motherboard (if it can be indeed done without wiping the data, lol). But the chances of that are slim to none.

Put it on a wall charger for an hour or so and try to boot it up. But I guess you've already tried that?

Apart from all this, It will be a miracle if google indeed accepted the RMA request since you've opened up the device, tried to swap the mobo and stuff.

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!

samcooper2

Nov 18, 2013
I don't think data can be recovered. I don't know if I'm making any sense or not but if the eMMC chip is fine, then you can show it to a professional so that he could try to repair the motherboard (if it can be indeed done without wiping the data, lol). But the chances of that are slim to none.

Put it on a wall charger for an hour or so and try to boot it up. But I guess you've already tried that?

Apart from all this, It will be a miracle if google indeed accepted the RMA request since you've opened up the device, tried to swap the mobo and stuff.

Thanks for the help :)

I have already tried charging it for long periods of time but its fairly obvious to me now that the phone isnt charging at all. It was only when i placed an already charged battery in the phone that i got the buzzing noise from the Mobo and the phone started to get very hot (turned out it drained approximately 30% of the battery in about 10 minutes).

Im not too worried about them not accepting the RMA as i have had other friends request the RMA service after opening up their phone, and in one case completely replacing the screen themselves and never had a problem. Its just such a shame as ive kept the phone in such good condition to avoid this from happening :(

So far the symptoms are:

- Phone wont turn on or charge.
- New battery in the phone causes phone to heat up and drain battery very quickly as well as produce a rhythmic buzzing noise from the motherboard.
- Placing Motherboard in a new healthy Nexus 5 device causes the same issue.

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Hmmm. Sad. The blow must have been pretty nasty then. Table corners can be quite dangerous.

Can't you get the motherboard repaired locally? It will surely void the warranty but if the photos and other data are so important to you, that's the only slim chance you've got.

samcooper2

Nov 18, 2013
Hmmm. Sad. The blow must have been pretty nasty then. Table corners can be quite dangerous.

Can't you get the motherboard repaired locally? It will surely void the warranty but if the photos and other data are so important to you, that's the only slim chance you've got.

Its really frustrating considering how well i have looked after it otherwise. Im also a little disappointed that the Spigen case didnt protect it better. The blow was nastier than i would have wanted but definitely not something that in my opinion should have broken the phone altogether :/

I can send the phone off to LG to repair it but this requires me sending the Phone to Sydney and waiting however long for them to possibly come back and tell me it cant be repaired.

My plan now is to wait for my new device to come through from the RMA service and then when i package up my old phone to send it back im going to leave a note explaining that whoever finds/deals with the phone, if they can recover my photos and videos and send them back to me on a USB i will reimburse them for it all as well as chucking in a $100 reward. I'll leave my name, number and email and hope that be some miracle it finds its way into the hands of someone willing to help.

In all honesty though what are my chances of that actually working :/

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
Should look into photo syncing or cloud storage lol. :silly: If I have anything that's important to me, I don't keep it only on my phone, I either move it off or backup/sync it into the cloud.

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Chances of them recovering your photos, putting it in an USB stick and couriering it to you seem thin.Never seen such a thing happening :eek:

As stated in the post above me, I think you should move on and treat this as "lesson learned". I backup all my things to my computer over wifi using FolderSync and the important ones go to my dropbox via foldersync. You can even schedule it to make your custom backup every night/week/month and so on.

Reactions: Elluel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Chances of them recovering your photos, putting it in an USB stick and couriering it to you seem thin.Never seen such a thing happening :eek:

As stated in the post above me, I think you should move on and treat this as "lesson learned". I backup all my things to my computer over wifi using FolderSync and the important ones go to my dropbox via foldersync. You can even schedule it to make your custom backup every night/week/month and so on.