Nook Tablet 1.4.3 complete root guide for 8or16gb to GB and JB

Search This thread

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011
This is how I rooted & installed CM10/JB on my nook 8GB 1.43 Tablet. This will also work on a 16 GB Tablet too but I have not tested on the 16gb. I have it currently rockin my wifes nook and doing one for my kid for Christmas. So far it's shown to be stable with no known issues. This is NOT FOR NOOK COLOR OR ANY OTHER VERSION OF NOOK OTHER THAN NT 4gb or 16gb running 1.4.3. So if you do not have these models and proceed it is at your own risk as well.

1st and for most,

I am just a shlub that searched ALL over for a good "how to" and after several attempts said if I figured out how to do it I would write one so I could share some joy.

The true thanks go to all the great Devs out there that put all these tools and roms together so we could use them. Be sure to pass along thanks & or DONATIONS to ALL deves and threads used in this how to, it's thier brains out there making our devices sweet.

There is a lot of how 2's for this NT but I found them to be terribly over complicated and frankly wore my self out looking for the "best" one. So this one looks long but that's because I wrote a start to finish and tried to be as noob friendly a possible by including every step.

All of this is done with WINDOWS, (sorry all the others, keep looking or adapt)

STANDARD DISCLAIMER, TRY ALL OF THIS OF YOUR OWN FREE WILL, THERE IS ALWAYS A CHANCE TO BRICK YOUR DEVICE AND RENDER IT USLESS!!!

I nor anyone mentioned in this thread assumes any responcibility for what you are about to accomplish.

I do wish to express my personal thanks again to everyone involved and to XDA for allowing all of this to be possible. In the event you do "brick" your device or have reason to return to stock to start over there are very good threads for returning your NT to stock and updating to 1.4.3 so don't be affraid. This is a "perminate root" and not a boot from SD card but can be reversed using the return to stock method.

If you do not have a Gmail account create one now (you will need it)
Turn on your new nook tablet and go ahead and register the device and use your gmail account.

Create a folder on your desktop and DOWN LOAD THESE TOOLS to the new folder,

SD CARD Formatter
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

SD card Partition tool
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

DISK IMAGER
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Win32-Disk-Imager-Download-173006.html

You can go ahead and unzip/extract tools to the same folder some may want to install, so just let them and follow promps.

Some of this you may already have, but after reading a lot and having to jump from thread to thread because some guides don’t include everything I am providing it all start to finish.

OK you have some tools so lets play,

Get your self a sandisk class 4 or 6 MINI SD card with adapter, (1gb would do it if you have 2 but I'd say 4 GB min)

Classes are for speed. Below 4 is Peeew! & I found 10 to be too fast for the NT but will work. 6 is optimal and I used a 4 and it works like a champ.
(On the card itself it will have a C with a number in it, that’s where to find the class).

TIP: to make this a little easier I would also recommend using 2 cards 1 bigger one for roms and to use in your NT everyday and a small one for CWM. If not one will do but will have a few more steps towards the end.

1) Take the SD card (smaller one if you got the extra one) and place it in the PC, MAKE A NOTE OF THE DRIVE LETTER THATS ASSIGNED TO IT!! and

Open up the SDFormatter Select the drive letter for your card. click option, Select format type and choose FULL ERASE and click format then ok and wait until it's done. Click OK again and close the window.

2) Take out SD CARD from PC and then put it back in (again take note of the DRIVE LETTER).
Then open up Mini Tool Partition wizard, Click ok

You should see A disk at the top, THIS IS YOUR PC DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THIS DISK...EVER...There may be others depending on what you have on your PC.

Look in the lower portion for the disk that has the DRIVE LETTER you made a note of is step 1. This is you SD card so it should have about the same capacity as what your using (4gb SD=3.69 one mine) . Click on that disk. (mine says Disk 2) click it.

On the left pane click Delete All Partitions and answer yes,

Below the disk where you last clicked you will either see your drive letter or a sybol like *: and it will be unallocated,

CLICK IT and then CLICK create partition on the left pane.

Beside CREATE AS choose and pick Primary from the drop down.
Beside FILE SYSTEM select FAT32 from the drop down.

On the bottom portion go to PARTITION SIZE and click in the box with the numbers to the right of it and change to 70Mb Then back up top where it says PARTITON LABEL and type boot

Click OK, and then look for the big red checkmark up top and click APPLY and YES in the pop up, wait a minute or so for the pop up then select OK after it's done, This will still show some unallocated but don’t worry about formatting it for now.

Now RIGHT click on that partition that says (your drive letter) :bootand go to modify and click on ACTIVE and then CLICK the red APPLY check mark again, then yes, then ok.

You can close that window and leave the SD card in the computer for now,

Get ready to hop around to get some more files. I provide the links to the devs threads so you can get updates and spread the love and thanks,
(don’t forget to thank them and feel free to donate, this would not be possible without their work)

Get some more downloads Save to folder on desk top and take a break while they download,

G to Albert’s thread below and grab Download File SD_ROOT_NT16or8gbV4_7

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439630

Albert does great work and may update so be sure to visit his site and also view his video's, don’t forget to buy Albert a cup of coffee or something for his work.

Go to your folder of downloads and unzip/extract the SD_ROOT_NT16or8gbV4_7 zip to “here” or to the same folder.

3. Power OFF your NT

The SD card should still be in your computer, Go ahead and pull it out and place the SD card in your Nook Tablet

4. Connect Nook Tablet with the cord that came with the NT to your PC (if you have never rooted before auto mount should already be on if the NT doesn't show up turn on auto mount)

It may show a pop up that says to format SD card. DO NOT, just click the red X to make that pop up go away.

It may install drivers, not necessary but let it if it does.

5. Go to computer or my computer from your windows start menu notice how it says BOOT: (drive letter mine is F) and it also shows MY NOOK (drive letter)

You can close that window now, Just want you to be aware of the “MY NOOK” so you DO NOT SELECT that one. ..EVER

6. Go to Win32diskimager.exe file that should be in your download folder. If you did not extract/unzip yet, do that now to “here” or to the same folder your in.

Then open win32diskimager-binary folder it created,
look for win32diskimager and double click select yes if you get a permission pop up.

7. Click the drive letter under device and select the drive letter that we named boot, (mine was F) DO NOT SELECT THE DRIVE LETTER THAT SAYS “MY NOOK” THAT IS THE ENTERNAL SD CARD ON NOOK ***DON’T SELECT MY NOOK!!!!

8. Click on Blue folder, NT16or8gbV47SDimagefile.img should show up.
If it does not click on desktop on left pane and search for it in the folder you created. Once found click on it then click save.

9. Click Write select yes on pop up. When done click OK on pop up that says write successful.

10. Disconnect Nook. Your card is made. Remove card and close those windows.

11. Get the rom’s and Prepare you other SD card, that you plan to use for an external SD for your NT.

If you are using only 1 card for this it’s a little more work but . Go ahead and download these roms and read ALL of step 12 and 13 before proceeding.

Get the rom’s, Go to this thread and get the CM 7 Team B rom it will be called> Download HERE MD5 95043b08484aa218ccf93b5ef4785825

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1481826&highlight=team+b

(Don’t forget to spread the love here either)

Then go to gapps here http://goo.im/gapps/

And download a new version of gapps, I used

gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

This is a good stable ROM (wife preferred) BUT

If you want a JB rom get those from from the below thread but still download the CM7 rom from above as you will need it for JB.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1877217&highlight=cm7

I used CM10 from here, (awesome)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1877217

And get gapps from the same thread, again I used

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip

(Again, some more hard workers here, show them some love... )

12.Prepare the new SD Card,

If it is a used card use the Sdformatter tool to erase format the card same way as above.
If it is new card this is not necessary.

Place the NEW or reformatted SD card in the card reader and into your PC.

Drag and drop, If you are just wanting CM7 drag and drop that zipped folder along with the GB gapps zipped folder to the NEW or reformatted SD card ,

If you are going to install the JB rom ALSO drag and drop the CM10 unzipped rom and unzipped JB gapps to the NEW or reformatted SD card .

13. Take a deep breath…. Were almost there.

POWER OFF the Nook Tablet

Place the 4gb SD card (1st one we worked with that we wrote the NT16or8gbV47SDimagefile.img on) into the nook tablet.

Connect the NT to your PC, you will see a Brown box, DO NOT do anything, wait and it will bring up your boot menu.

Tab down to install zip from SD card and hit the “hard“ (n) button on the bottom center (actually right center when holding horizontal) of the NT to select.

Select choose zip from sd card and and and hit the “hard“ (n) button on the bottom center (actually right center when holding horizontal) .

Select ONLY THIS file. root_8gb-or-16gb-NTV4_7

Tab down to YES -install choose root_8gb-or-16gb-NTV4_7 and hit the “n” button (same one as always)

Wait, when it is done it should return to the menu and say install from sd card complete at the bottom of the screen.

Hit the power button once and it should return to reboot system now, (but don’t select reboot)

AT THIS POINT REMOVE 4GB or smaller SD CARD (if you opted to only use one SD card at this point you would use the 4gb and do step 12. Using it then proceed to step 14)

14. PLACE THE NEW NEW or reformatted SD card WITH THE ROM ZIP FILES WE JUST MADE.
Use the volume buttons on the NT and

Tab down to install zip from SD card and hit the “hard“ (n) button on the bottom center (actually right center when holding horizontal) of the NT to select.

Select choose zip from sd card and and and hit the “hard“ (n) button on the bottom center (actually right center when holding horizontal) .

Now no matter what rom you will end up with first choose cm-7-TEAM-B-BETA1-signed zip, and hit the “hard“ (n) button on the bottom center (actually right center when holding horizontal)

Tab down to YES -install choose cm-7-TEAM-B-BETA1-signed zip and hit the “n” button (same one as always)

Wait.. it will take a little bit to install, when it is done it should return to the menu and say install from sd card complete at the bottom of the screen.

NOW select choose zip from sd card again and hit “n” button
Select gapps-gb- (MAKE SURE TO SELECT GAPPS-GB) for CM7 rom. Hit “n” button

Select YES-install gapps-gb hit “n” button
Wait, when it is done it should return to the menu and say install from sd card complete at the bottom of the screen.

Now you should know how to navigate the screen so,

select wipe data/factory reset. Hit “n “ button Select yes.

Select wipe cache partition Hit “n “ button Select yes.

Select advanced hit “n” button

Select Wipe Dalvik cache Hit “n “ button Select yes.

Tab down and select go back, hit “n” button

Disconnect NT from PC and select reboot system now and hit the “n” button

WAIT… this could take several minutes,

Once this is done you will end up on the set up screen.

Set it up using your gmail account, it will more than likely tell you, you must connect to wifi. Do it. Then proceed with set up.

Once the google market comes on line wait it should kick you out and return to finish set up.
Follow the prompts and finish. Once complete you should now have the ‘Play Store” app on your screen.
Go there accept agreement and search for Rom Manager.once found in play store It should say UPDATE, do the update.

Now search for goo manager from the play store and install. Allow and let it remember any super user prompts

Open goo manager an go to menu in goo manager and at the main menu and select Install open recovery script. (or you can select download a rom. It will do the same thing) It will ask if you have recovery installed CHOOSE Try to find one for me and select YES,
Select Yes again on next pop up and wait for it to download.(it takes a minute)

If you wanted CM7 you are finished…return to the home screen and Enjoy. You can save your SD cards you made in a safe location or reformat them with the Sdformater and re use them.

If your goal was to get JB (CM10) continue

There will be other ways of doing this but this is how it worked best for me.

Go to your app drawer and open rom manager, choose install rom from sd card, (remember you still have CM10 on your card that’s installed.)

It will bring up your choices, Choose sgt-10-20121124-UNOFFICAAL-acclaim.zip.
(read this before continuing)

Click OK to reboot in recovery
When the ‘n” disappears it will show cyan boot universial boot loader. When you see this, HOLD the ‘hard “n” button down until the boot menu appears.

Use the “n” button and select internal eMMc Recovery and hit the POWER button.

You are now in teamwin recovery,

Choose install select sgt-10-20121124-UNOFFICAAL-acclaim.zip

On the next screen choose add more zips

Select gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip

Swipe at the bottom to confirm Flash

Wait… Once it says complete reboot. (may take several minutes be patient) wait for upgrades. Now would be a good time (if you haven’t already) to re visit all the great threads we visited and donate any amount to all the great people out there that made it possible for me to type up this how to.

As a side note, I would like to mention that I'm sure that there are other rom's out there that works as well as the ones I used. I simply noted them because I used them & they worked for me. Please feel free to comment on any other rom's that work with this method and provide info so anyone reading can show other devs some gratitude too.

Enjoy and if you found this to be a complete how to and enjoyed the process then fell free to donate to me too :good:

Last edited:

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
This is how I rooted & installed CM10/JB on my nook 8GB 1.43 Tablet. This will also work on a 16 GB Tablet as too but I have not testedon the 16gb. I have it currently rockin my wifes nook and doing one for my kid for Christmas. So far it's shown to be stable with no known issues. This is NOT FOR NOOK COLOR OR ANY OTHER VERSION OF NOOK OTHER THAN NT 4gb or 16gb running 1.4.3. So if you do not have these models and proceed it is at your own risk as well.

1st and for most,

I am just a shlub that searched ALL over for a good "how to" and after several attempts said if I figured out how to do it I would write one so I could share some joy.

The true thanks go to all the great Devs out there that put all these tools and roms together so we could use them. Be sure to pass along thanks & or DONATIONS to ALL deves and threads used in this how to, it's thier brains out there making our devices sweet.

There is a lot of how 2's for this NT but I found them to be terribly over complicated and frankly wore my self out looking for the "best" one. So this one looks log but that's because I wrote a start to finish and tried to be as noob friendly a possible by including every step.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER, TRY ALL OF THIS OF YOUR OWN FREE WILL, THERE IS ALWAYS A CHANCE TO BRICK YOUR DEVICE AND RENDER IT USLESS!!!

I nor anyone mentioned in this thread assumes any responcibility for what you are about to accomplish.

I do wish to express my thanks again to everyone involved and to XDA for allowing all of this to be possible. In the event you do "brick" your device or have reason to return to stock to start over there are very good threads for returning your NT to stock and updating to 1.4.3 so don't be affraid. This is a "perminate root" and not a boot from SD card but can be reversed using the return to stock method.

Turn on your new nook tablet and go ahead and register the device and use your gmail account.

Create a folder on your deshtop and DOWN LOAD THESE TOOLS to the new folder,

SD CARD Formatter

SD card Partition tool

DISK IMAGER

You can go ahead and unzip/extract tools to the same folder some may want to install, so just let them and follow promps.

Some of this you may already have, but after reading a lot and having to jump from thread to thread because some guides don’t include everything I am providing it all start to finish.

Get your self a sandisk class 4 or 6 MINI SD card with adapter, (1gb would do it if you have 2 but I'd say 4 GB min)

Classes are for speed below 4 is Peeew, & I found 10 to be too fast for the NT but will work. 6 is optimal and I used a 4 and it works like a champ. (On the card itself it will have a C with a number in it, that’s where to find the class).

TIP: to make this a little easier I would also recommend using 2 cards 1 bigger one for roms and to use in your NT everyday and a small one for CWM. If not one will do but will have a few more steps towards the end.

1) Take the SD card (smaller one if you got the extra one) and place it in the PC, MAKE A NOTE OF THE DRIVE LETTER THATS ASSIGNED TO IT!! and

Open up the SDFormatter Select the drive letter for your card. click option, Select format type and choose FULL ERASE and click format then ok and wait until it's done. Click OK again and close the window.

2) Take out SD CARD from PC and then put it back in (again take note of the DRIVE LETTER).

You should see A disk at the top, THIS IS YOUR PC DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THIS DISK...EVER...There may be others depending on what you have on your PC.

Look in the lower portion for the disk that has the DRIVE LETTER you made a note of is step 1. This is you SD card so it should have about the same capacity as what your using (4gb SD=3.69 one mine) . Click on that disk. (mine says Disk 2) click it.

Below the disk where you last clicked you will either see your drive letter or a sybol like *: and it will be unallocated,

On the bottom portion go to PARTITION SIZE and click in the box with the numbers to the right of it and change to 70Mb Then back up top where it says PARTITON LABEL and type boot

Click OK, and then look for the big red checkmark up top and click APPLY and YES in the pop up, wait a minute or so for the pop up then select OK after it's done, This will still show some unallocated but don’t worry about formatting it for now.

Now RIGHT click on that partition that says (your drive letter) :bootand go to modify and click on ACTIVE and then CLICK the red APPLY check mark again, then yes, then ok.

Get ready to hop around to get some more files. I provide the links to the devs threads so you can get updates and spread the love and thanks,
(don’t forget to thank them and feel free to donate, this would not be possible without their work)

Get some more downloads Save to folder on desk top and take a break while they download,

Albert does great work and may update so be sure to visit his site and also view his video's, don’t forget to buy Albert a cup of coffee or something for his work.

Go to your folder of downloads and unzip/extract the SD_ROOT_NT16or8gbV4_7 zip to “here” or to the same folder.

3. Power OFF your NT

The SD card should still be in your computer, Go ahead and pull it out and place the SD card in your Nook Tablet

4. Connect Nook Tablet with the cord that came with the NT to your PC (if you have never rooted before auto mount should already be on if the NT doesn't show up turn on auto mount)

It may show a pop up that says to format SD card. DO NOT, just click the red X to make that pop up go away.

5. Go to computer or my computer from your windows start menu notice how it says BOOT: (drive letter mine is F) and it also shows MY NOOK (drive letter)

You can close that window now, Just want you to be aware of the “MY NOOK” so you DO NOT SELECT that one. ..EVER

6. Go to Win32diskimager.exe file that should be in your download folder. If you did not extract/unzip yet, do that now to “here” or to the same folder your in.

look for win32diskimager and double click select yes if you get a permission pop up.

7. Click the drive letter under device and select the drive letter that we named boot, (mine was F) DO NOT SELECT THE DRIVE LETTER THAT SAYS “MY NOOK” THAT IS THE ENTERNAL SD CARD ON NOOK ***DON’T SELECT MY NOOK!!!!

If it does not click on desktop on left pane and search for it in the folder you created. Once found click on it then click save.

9. Click Write select yes on pop up. When done click OK on pop up that says write successful.

11. Get the rom’s and Prepare you other SD card, that you plan to use for an external SD for your NT.

If you are using only 1 card for this it’s a little more work but . Go ahead and download these roms and read ALL of step 12 and 13 before proceeding.

Get the rom’s, Go to this thread and get the CM 7 Team B rom it will be called> Download HERE MD5 95043b08484aa218ccf93b5ef4785825

If you want a JB rom get those from from the below thread but still download the CM7 rom from above as you will need it for JB.

I used
http://celticstorage.co.uk/cm10/sgt7...AL-acclaim.zip

If it is a used card use the Sdformatter tool to erase format the card same way as above.

Drag and drop, If you are just wanting CM7 drag and drop that zipped folder along with the GB gapps zipped folder to the NEW or reformatted SD card ,

If you are going to install the JB rom ALSO drag and drop the CM10 unzipped rom and unzipped JB gapps to the NEW or reformatted SD card .

Place the 4gb SD card (1st one we worked with that we wrote the NT16or8gbV47SDimagefile.img on) into the nook tablet.

Connect the NT to your PC, you will see a Brown box, DO NOT do anything, wait and it will bring up your boot menu.

Tab down to YES -install choose root_8gb-or-16gb-NTV4_7 and hit the “n” button (same one as always)

Hit the power button once and it should return to reboot system now, (but don’t select reboot)

AT THIS POINT REMOVE 4GB or smaller SD CARD (if you opted to only use one SD card at this point you would use the 4gb and do step 12. Using it then proceed to step 14)

14. PLACE THE NEW NEW or reformatted SD card WITH THE ROM ZIP FILES WE JUST MADE.

Now no matter what rom you will end up with first choose cm-7-TEAM-B-BETA1-signed zip, and hit the “hard“ (n) button on the bottom center (actually right center when holding horizontal)

Tab down to YES -install choose cm-7-TEAM-B-BETA1-signed zip and hit the “n” button (same one as always)

Wait.. it will take a little bit to install, when it is done it should return to the menu and say install from sd card complete at the bottom of the screen.

Set it up using your gmail account, it will more than likely tell you, you must connect to wifi. Do it. Then proceed with set up.

Once the google market comes on line wait it should kick you out and return to finish set up.
Follow the prompts and finish. Once complete you should now have the ‘Play Store” app on your screen.
Go there accept agreement and search for Rom Manager.once found in play store It should say UPDATE, do the update.

Now search for goo manager from the play store and install. Allow and let it remember any super user prompts

Open goo manager an go to menu in goo manager and at the main menu and select Install open recovery script. (or you can select download a rom. It will do the same thing) It will ask if you have recovery installed CHOOSE Try to find one for me and select YES,

If you wanted CM7 you are finished…return to the home screen and Enjoy. You can save your SD cards you made in a safe location or reformat them with the Sdformater and re use them.

Go to your app drawer and open rom manager, choose install rom from sd card, (remember you still have CM10 on your card that’s installed.)

When the ‘n” disappears it will show cyan boot universial boot loader. When you see this, HOLD the ‘hard “n” button down until the boot menu appears.

Wait… Once it says complete reboot. (may take several minutes be patient) wait for upgrades. Now would be a good time (if you haven’t already) to re visit all the great threads we visited and donate any amount to all the great people out there that made it possible for me to type up this how to.

Enjoy and if you found this to be a complete how to and enjoyed the process then fell free to donate to me too :good:

Very good guide!! You did very good on it! ;)

Reactions: okyere

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
Thanks bro, It was driven by frustration lol.. Hope it helps someone out.

Yeah I would try it but, my tablet has been rooted for almost a year now :D I just wanna try and get that triple boot sd card to work so I can have ics/gb/stock all at once :D. Good work though! Very good for noobs considering how much detail you put in it! Hope to see more of your work cause you are a good developer! :)

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011
Yeah I would try it but, my tablet has been rooted for almost a year now :D I just wanna try and get that triple boot sd card to work so I can have ics/gb/stock all at once :D. Good work though! Very good for noobs considering how much detail you put in it! Hope to see more of your work cause you are a good developer! :)

Pretty sure I can write that up too, I need to put it together 1st and make sure it works right. I'll see how work goes today and hopefully do something with it tonight. :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: stuckonashelf

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011
Reactions: megaghostgamer

Cubanluke88

Nov 18, 2011
Connecticut
It's nice to see newer members taking time to give back and everything but you really need to clarify here.

This is not simply a root guide. Nor do you "root to GB or JB."

You can root the stock OS, that is what albert's thread details; the creating of a card that does two things. First it is a custom recovery (clockworkmod). Secondly, it includes a script that is then "flashed" via the custom recovery and the device is then rooted. Note: the stock OS is rooted. Nothing more or less.

What you then go on to describe is the process to flash (install) a custom rom, in this case CM7 (2.3, GB based) or CM10 (4.1, JB based). You do not "root" to these. In fact, you don't even have to gain root access on the nook tablet's stock firmware to do it. You could download the rom files on an unrooted device, store them locally, create the clockworkmod recovery card, boot via said card and then flash the rom in recovery; no root script flashing needed.

I'm nitpicking here but its essential to know the difference between gaining root access on the stock firmware and flashing a custom firmware. Alternatively you could leave the device alone entirely and flash one of these custom roms to a card, similar to how you flash clockworkmod to a card and use that to boot into a rom, never needing to modify the device internal memory at all.

Reactions: tmjohnsonfse

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011

It's nice to see newer members taking time to give back and everything but you really need to clarify here.

This is not simply a root guide. Nor do you "root to GB or JB."

You can root the stock OS, that is what albert's thread details; the creating of a card that does two things. First it is a custom recovery (clockworkmod). Secondly, it includes a script that is then "flashed" via the custom recovery and the device is then rooted. Note: the stock OS is rooted. Nothing more or less.

What you then go on to describe is the process to flash (install) a custom rom, in this case CM7 (2.3, GB based) or CM10 (4.1, JB based). You do not "root" to these. In fact, you don't even have to gain root access on the nook tablet's stock firmware to do it. You could download the rom files on an unrooted device, store them locally, create the clockworkmod recovery card, boot via said card and then flash the rom in recovery; no root script flashing needed.

I'm nitpicking here but its essential to know the difference between gaining root access on the stock firmware and flashing a custom firmware. Alternatively you could leave the device alone entirely and flash one of these custom roms to a card, similar to how you flash clockworkmod to a card and use that to boot into a rom, never needing to modify the device internal memory at all.

Thanks for the help, I will work on the termiology, I first had the bootable sd card and it worked great but wanted to flash a rom on the nook itself, not careing about the stock os. I searched and tried many methods and saw a lot of noobs like me having the same problems. This is how I eventually got it to work so was just trying to help others out. Like you said, it took some time writing this up and I appreachiate everything everyone does and devlops on here so just wanted to be constructive and not just get what I need and go away, But thanks again for the tips, It may save some folks a headache or two.

kbuster2

Jul 23, 2009
Nook tablet bootable sd card

Thanks for the help, I will work on the termiology, I first had the bootable sd card and it worked great but wanted to flash a rom on the nook itself, not careing about the stock os. I searched and tried many methods and saw a lot of noobs like me having the same problems. This is how I eventually got it to work so was just trying to help others out. Like you said, it took some time writing this up and I appreachiate everything everyone does and devlops on here so just wanted to be constructive and not just get what I need and go away, But thanks again for the tips, It may save some folks a headache or two.

You say you first had a bootable sd card in your nook tablet. That's the route I'd like to take for now. Can I do it similarly to the verygreen size-agnostic method I've been using for my nook color? I assume it requires a unique disk image. Also, are there nightly cm10 builds from cyanogenmod.com for this like there are for nook color. would be nice if I could follow instructions from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000957 to install to sd card for this device too.

Fishtick26

Jun 24, 2010
So if I am reading this correctly, this will allow me to boot a version of CM running directly from the internal memory of the Nook Tablet....right? Like, could I remove the microSD card and still have it boot? I wouldn't run it without a card for storage but I am asking this way to make sure I am understood.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium

Last edited:

satan89

Sep 21, 2009
Bangalore, Mangalore
So if I am reading this correctly, this will allow me to boot a version of CM running directly from the internal memory of the Nook Tablet....right? Like, could I remove the microSD card and still have it boot? I wouldn't run it without a card for storage but I am asking this way to make sure I am understood.

Yes this will erase the stock firmware and replace it with cm 7 or 10 depending on how far you follow the steps. Or if you only follow upto 13, then you have bootable recovery card and stock rooted rom.
Although if you are directly trying to get to cm10 from stock , there are shorter methods

Hit Thanks if I helped you!

Reactions: inisfada

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011

Yep you are correct as Satan89 stated, Just a reminder that there are good guides to return to stock os if need be after you have installed CM.

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011
You say you first had a bootable sd card in your nook tablet. That's the route I'd like to take for now. Can I do it similarly to the verygreen size-agnostic method I've been using for my nook color? I assume it requires a unique disk image. Also, are there nightly cm10 builds from cyanogenmod.com for this like there are for nook color. would be nice if I could follow instructions from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000957 to install to sd card for this device too.

Wish I could help you with this question, I am not familiar with the NC at all. You can post this over on a NC Q&A and see if someone more savvy than I can help you out.

sdelgran

May 6, 2006
Thanks for the thread.

Maybe you could simplify a few things and also comment on how to directly root + go to JB from a stock NT. Basically this is what you would do (just did one NT tonight in less than 15 minutes):

- Write NT16or8gbV47SDimagefile.img onto SD using Win32DiskImager.exe included in SD_ROOT_NT16or8gbV4_7.zip. This can be done on your PC if you have a SD card reader or by mounting the SD in the NT. You do not need to repartition the SD first or even format it (unless it has no partition at all of course). Writing the image will create the partition. You may want to simplify these steps in your guide!
- Copy flash_CM9-10_CWM_v6.0.1.2_8-16gb_tools_emmc.zip to the SD from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1640958
- Boot the NT on SD by turning the tablet off and plugging the USB charger (you mention plugging to the PC which is fine too of course).
- From CWM install root_8gb-or-16gb-NTV4_7.zip (to root the NT)
- From CWM install flash_CM9-10_CWM_v6.0.1.2_8-16gb_tools_emmc.zip (to install CWM in internal eMMC)
- Turn off NT. Remove SD from NT. Repartition and format SD. Copy CM10 + gapps on SD.
- Install SD in NT. Boot and keep the n button depressed on the cyanoboot to access boot menu.
- Choose Internal eMMC Recovery.
- From CWM install CM10 + gapps after wipe.

Last edited:

malloneem

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for the thread.

Maybe you could simplify a few things and also comment on how to directly root + go to JB from a stock NT. Basically this is what you would do (just did one NT tonight in less than 15 minutes):

- Write NT16or8gbV47SDimagefile.img onto SD using Win32DiskImager.exe included in SD_ROOT_NT16or8gbV4_7.zip. This can be done on your PC if you have a SD card reader or by mounting the SD in the NT. You do not need to repartition the SD first or even format it (unless it has no partition at all of course). Writing the image will create the partition. You may want to simplify these steps in your guide!
- Copy flash_CM9-10_CWM_v6.0.1.2_8-16gb_tools_emmc.zip to the SD from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1640958
- Boot the NT on SD by turning the tablet off and plugging the USB charger (you mention plugging to the PC which is fine too of course).
- From CWM install flash_CM9-10_CWM_v6.0.1.2_8-16gb_tools_emmc.zip (to install CWM in internal eMMC)
- Turn off NT. Remove SD from NT. Repartition and format SD. Copy CM10 + gapps on SD.
- Install SD in NT. Boot and keep the n button depressed on the cyanoboot to access boot menu.

I think you just did :good:, Hope all finds this method useful as well. I actually tried the simple version and kept ketting locked up and read several post where the older CWM was at fault (not sure if that was it or some other issue) so put CM7 first updated and also installed TWRP and it got me going. I agree this way is the long way from poin A to B, But it worked out for me so thought I would share for others that my be having the same issue. Glad to see you were able to expidite the instal with no prob, so theres no doubt you'll ge a few thanks,

asawi

Oct 1, 2012
I think there is a place both for a short version and the very detailed original description.

What I would suggest though is that maybe you look over the layout. Because it's so detailed it needs to be broken up into clearer sections "This section for creating the root card" "This section is for using the card to root" , "This section is for installing CM7" or whatever the steps are.

It's so great to have you almost hold people's hand through the process, but because of the amount of details it's easy to get lost in the text. (And also, for someone who has already rooted it's nice to be able to jump in at a later stage).

Great work though! <applauding>

And by the way, what does the CM7 install accomplish? Is it just because it plays better with the recovery than just a rooted stock with GApps? Just curious! If it works it works, and not all questions need to have answers!

satan89

Sep 21, 2009
Bangalore, Mangalore
No, this is jut so you can gain root access,

Then the above method by sdelgran will not work if you're on stock rom. How do we get into cyanoboot in stock rom.

And @asawi cm7 was the only stable build back then when kernel 3.x was under development, and is the only.build which can be flashed safely with cwm 5, and cyanoboot - to get into higher recovery.

An easier method to get into cm10 directly from stock is to make a bootable cwm card, (it will have cwm 5.x in it) , download cwm 6.012_SDcard.zip (something like this made by meghdoot), replace the boot.img in bootable SD card with the recovery.img (rename it to boot.img) in the downloaded cwm6.012.

Now you have bootable cwm6 card, and you can directly flash any rom (gb, ics, Jb) and gapps from any rom (including stock unrooted rom)

Hit Thanks if I helped you!

Reactions: asawi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is how I rooted & installed CM10/JB on my nook 8GB 1.43 Tablet. This will also work on a 16 GB Tablet too but I have not tested on the 16gb. I have it currently rockin my wifes nook and doing one for my kid for Christmas. So far it's shown to be stable with no known issues. This is NOT FOR NOOK COLOR OR ANY OTHER VERSION OF NOOK OTHER THAN NT 4gb or 16gb running 1.4.3. So if you do not have these models and proceed it is at your own risk as well.

1st and for most,

There is a lot of how 2's for this NT but I found them to be terribly over complicated and frankly wore my self out looking for the "best" one. So this one looks long but that's because I wrote a start to finish and tried to be as noob friendly a possible by including every step.

I do wish to express my personal thanks again to everyone involved and to XDA for allowing all of this to be possible. In the event you do "brick" your device or have reason to return to stock to start over there are very good threads for returning your NT to stock and updating to 1.4.3 so don't be affraid. This is a "perminate root" and not a boot from SD card but can be reversed using the return to stock method.

Create a folder on your desktop and DOWN LOAD THESE TOOLS to the new folder,

SD CARD Formatter

SD card Partition tool

DISK IMAGER

Classes are for speed. Below 4 is Peeew! & I found 10 to be too fast for the NT but will work. 6 is optimal and I used a 4 and it works like a champ.
    (On the card itself it will have a C with a number in it, that’s where to find the class).

3. Power OFF your NT

I used CM10 from here, (awesome)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1877217

As a side note, I would like to mention that I'm sure that there are other rom's out there that works as well as the ones I used. I simply noted them because I used them & they worked for me. Please feel free to comment on any other rom's that work with this method and provide info so anyone reading can show other devs some gratitude too.

Thanks for the thread.

Yep you are correct as Satan89 stated, Just a reminder that there are good guides to return to stock os if need be after you have installed CM.
    This is how I rooted & installed CM10/JB on my nook 8GB 1.43 Tablet. This will also work on a 16 GB Tablet as too but I have not testedon the 16gb. I have it currently rockin my wifes nook and doing one for my kid for Christmas. So far it's shown to be stable with no known issues. This is NOT FOR NOOK COLOR OR ANY OTHER VERSION OF NOOK OTHER THAN NT 4gb or 16gb running 1.4.3. So if you do not have these models and proceed it is at your own risk as well.

1st and for most,

There is a lot of how 2's for this NT but I found them to be terribly over complicated and frankly wore my self out looking for the "best" one. So this one looks log but that's because I wrote a start to finish and tried to be as noob friendly a possible by including every step.

I do wish to express my thanks again to everyone involved and to XDA for allowing all of this to be possible. In the event you do "brick" your device or have reason to return to stock to start over there are very good threads for returning your NT to stock and updating to 1.4.3 so don't be affraid. This is a "perminate root" and not a boot from SD card but can be reversed using the return to stock method.

Create a folder on your deshtop and DOWN LOAD THESE TOOLS to the new folder,

SD CARD Formatter

SD card Partition tool

DISK IMAGER

Classes are for speed below 4 is Peeew, & I found 10 to be too fast for the NT but will work. 6 is optimal and I used a 4 and it works like a champ. (On the card itself it will have a C with a number in it, that’s where to find the class).

3. Power OFF your NT

I used
    http://celticstorage.co.uk/cm10/sgt7...AL-acclaim.zip

Very good guide!! You did very good on it! ;)
    Holy mother! It worked!

Woohoo! Well, half woohoo anyway... I don't know anything about a WiFi bug. Try a reboot. No idea why that would work, but that's always what I try first when something misbehaves. Surprisingly often it works!