Have I killed my Nexus 2012?

Search This thread

seymour71

Apr 28, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
Hi guys,long time lurker here.

I have recently tried to update my old Nexus 2012 to Kitkat, and messed it up!:crying:

I can only get into TWRP now, and only get roms on there via a USB OTG cable.

Thing is, i've tried loads of roms and they all seem to fail. I've obviously messed up somewhere, anyone give me any poiinters?

Cheers.

EDIT
Think I'm sorted - seems i can't update to Kitkat, I tried a 4.2 rom, and all is good.

Note to self - do more research before 'updating':silly:

Last edited:

kcipopnevets

Oct 6, 2013
Brooklyn
Hi guys,long time lurker here.

I have recently tried to update my old Nexus 2012 to Kitkat, and messed it up!:crying:

I can only get into TWRP now, and only get roms on there via a USB OTG cable.

Thing is, i've tried loads of roms and they all seem to fail. I've obviously messed up somewhere, anyone give me any poiinters?

Cheers.

If you took an OTA with stock firmware and TWRP, that's the issue. You can't boot into the bootloader to flash stock?

kcipopnevets

Oct 6, 2013
Brooklyn
Cheers dude, I think I'm sorted now, albeit at a 4.2 rom. What's the easiest way to update to 4.4?

For stock KitKat, use Nexus Root Toolkit and flash the stock binary, and enable USB debugging! ;) Toolkit really takes over so it's kinda one click.
For a ROM? Update TWRP, CWM, or PhilZ to the latest version and pick a ROM that suits your fancy! :) Good luck on your journey!

seymour71

Apr 28, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
For stock KitKat, use Nexus Root Toolkit and flash the stock binary, and enable USB debugging! ;) Toolkit really takes over so it's kinda one click.
For a ROM? Update TWRP, CWM, or PhilZ to the latest version and pick a ROM that suits your fancy! :) Good luck on your journey!

Ah yes, I tried the toolkit when I thought I'd furbared by tablet, I'll enable debbinging & give it another go.

Cheers.

D

Darth

You probably need to update your bootloader to the latest. ;)

You could flash stock 4.2.2 with fastboot.... And when you reboot, it will give you the kit kat ota. Which will update your bootloader and leave you on 4.4.2. Then you just need to flash recovery and root again.

seymour71

Apr 28, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
You probably need to update your bootloader to the latest. ;)

You could flash stock 4.2.2 with fastboot.... And when you reboot, it will give you the kit kat ota. Which will update your bootloader and leave you on 4.4.2. Then you just need to flash recovery and root again.

Hmmm, just tried this, everything seemed to go well, but it hasn't given the option of an ota update when I've rebooted. It's still showing as as CyanogenMod Version too?

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Hmmm, just tried this, everything seemed to go well, but it hasn't given the option of an ota update when I've rebooted. It's still showing as as CyanogenMod Version too?

Hi, seymour71...

If you're running Googles official factory stock Android 4.2, then you can download the relevant OTA update(s) from here, directly to your Nexus 7, and flash in CWM or TWRP.

You can find out the specifics of the ROM build number your currently running by going to SETTINGS>>ABOUT TABLET>>BUILD NUMBER on your Nexus 7.

You may need to upgrade incrementally, that is to say, from 4.2 to 4.3 (and their successive point updates) right through to the latest version, Android 4.4.2 (Build number: KOT49H).

NOTE: OTA UPDATES ONLY WORK WITH OFFICIAL UNMODIFIED FACTORY STOCK... If you're running a Custom 4.2 based ROM, then flashing them will fail.

Good luck.

Rgrds,
Ged.

seymour71

Apr 28, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
Hi, seymour71...

If you're running Googles official factory stock Android 4.2, then you can download the relevant OTA update(s) from here, directly to your Nexus 7, and flash in CWM or TWRP.

You can find out the specifics of the ROM build number your currently running by going to SETTINGS>>ABOUT TABLET>>BUILD NUMBER on your Nexus 7.

You may need to upgrade incrementally, that is to say, from 4.2 to 4.3 (and their successive point updates) right through to the latest version, Android 4.4.2 (Build number: KOT49H).

NOTE: OTA UPDATES ONLY WORK WITH OFFICIAL UNMODIFIED FACTORY STOCK... If you're running a Custom 4.2 based ROM, then flashing them will fail.

Good luck.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Cheers dude. Just checked, the build number says: BeatMod CrystalClear v2.3
Android version is 4.2.2

I thought i'd just flashed it back to a 4.2 stock rom via the toolkit, but apparently not.

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Cheers dude. Just checked, the build number says: BeatMod CrystalClear v2.3
Android version is 4.2.2

I thought i'd just flashed it back to a 4.2 stock rom via the toolkit, but apparently not.

"BeatMod CrystalClear v2.3"... Never heard of that one before:). There are some pretty obscure ROMs out there:). This one sounds like it has some sort of 'music' orientation.

Anyhow... it's a Custom ROM... and you wont be able to update it to 4.4.2 unless the developer has released a 4.4.2 version.

---------------------------------------------------------

Your best bet is to fastboot flash the official Google factory stock image for your specific Nexus 7(2012) model (WiFi only, or WiFi & 3G).

The Nexus 7(2012) factory image(s) can be found here...
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#nakasi

Instructions on how to fastboot flash can be found here...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1907796

Hope this helps.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:

seymour71

Apr 28, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
Ah, it seems I didn't do it right properly first time.:eek:

I'm now on 4.2.2 with the build number JDQ39.

Would I be safe to flash a stock 4.4 rom using the toolkit now? It hasn't offered me an ota update - not yet, anyway.

Edit- It's doing it now, I think. Watch this space!

Last edited: