[Q] Nexus 5 bricked and USB cable not working

Search This thread

BleachFan21

Apr 5, 2014
I bricked my Nexus 5 by installing the kernal from touchcontrol.
I can get into recovery mode.
I can not mount the USB storage or access any of my phones files
I've tried installing ADB drivers but that didn't help.

Anyone know what I should do to fix this?

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
I bricked my Nexus 5 by installing the kernal from touchcontrol.
I can get into recovery mode.
I can not mount the USB storage or access any of my phones files
I've tried installing ADB drivers but that didn't help.

Anyone know what I should do to fix this?

Download the stock kernel zip from here https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319202404 and place it in the fastboot folder. Then reboot in recovery and choose adb sideload. Open cmd and type : adb sideload namekernel.zip and press enter and that should do it, then reboot.

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Hello,

When the phone is in recovery mode, the file explorer won't show up with your nexus files... The fact that a sound is coming proves that the phone is being detected...
If you have setup a working adb environment you can follow what @gee2012 has said and sideload the kernel and flash it... If you haven't then download the android sdk and make sure you have downloaded the usb_driver package as well...

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace

First, don't yet think your phone it's bricked. The actual solution is to get the proper driver on the computer. Remember that nexus 5 does not have Sdcard and there's not way to mount to the computer via recovery. Only ADB PUSH and ADB SIDELOAD will put a Rom into your phone.
You have to check on device manager to see the status of the driver. if t shows as Nexus 5, you will have to update the driver to and adb compatible one. If it says ADB........ then, you are good to go

EDIT: @vin4yak, one day I'll go to ninja school too:D

Last edited:
Reactions: vin4yak

SeanHacker

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
1.) If your device is actually bricked then a USB cable will do you absolutely no good. Fixing a "bricked" device is something that will need to be JTAG'd for it to work again. I think you might be mistaken about what a bricked device is. Its pretty hard to brick a nexus device so I highly doubt you're device is bricked.

2.) You have to get into fastboot mode. Just search for how to do so. Then you can flash the stock img's through fastboot and you'll be back in business. I have no clue about what drivers you'll need for your setup as I haven't run windows in 9 years or so. Just get the drivers, fastboot, and get your nexus back. ;)

Last edited:

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Why don't you just flash a boot.img from the stock rom? Or going back to stock?
You cannot mount sdcard to the pc in recovery. You have to use adb push or adb sideload.
To make adb work in recovery you need naked usb drivers 0.73.
Then you can adb sideload a rom, or push a rom to /sdcard.

Anyway download my attachment, put your phone to fastboot mode and double click on flash.bat then report me back

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

First, don't yet think your phone it's bricked. The actual solution is to get the proper driver on the computer. Remember that nexus 5 does not have Sdcard and there's not way to mount to the computer via recovery. Only ADB PUSH and ADB SIDELOAD will put a Rom into your phone.
    You have to check on device manager to see the status of the driver. if t shows as Nexus 5, you will have to update the driver to and adb compatible one. If it says ADB........ then, you are good to go

EDIT: @vin4yak, one day I'll go to ninja school too:D